Family is a Funny Thing

Surprise for Jungkook (Give Kookie a cookie)

“Sure, don’t worry about me hyung. I’ll be fine.” He looked back down and tried not to cry.

---

Yoongi had felt extremely bad for having to lie to Jungkook, but it was a necessary evil if he wanted to surprise Jungkook properly. He had even convinced the rest of Jungkook's mutual friends into keeping this secret. They hesitated at first, reluctant at the thought of making Jungkook sad, but everyone was willing if it was for their favorite maknae.

But one look at the poor kid's crestfallen face when he heard the news that he'd be spending his birthday alone had the guilt gnawing at Yoongi from the inside. As much as he enjoyed teasing him on a daily basis he hated seeing his Jungkookie sad. A smile suited that baby face much better than a frown in his opinion.

--

The entire ride home Jungkook was silent and staring out the window, sulking to himself. He didn't want to worry his hyung but it was very hard to hide his disappointment completely. Yoongi kept sneaking his glances at the downcast boy in the passenger seat and tried to think of something to say that would cheer Jungkook up.

"Hey I heard Hoseok and Namjoon are coming home from Seoul for the weekend. You excited to see them?" He knew how much Jungkook missed his two talented hyungs when they were away training for debut and really prayed that this news would at least earn him a smile.

"Jungkook?"

No reply.

"Hey, did you hear me?"

"Yeah, I heard you hyung."

"And?"

"I guess I'll see them when they get home."

Yoongi frowned at this. Normally Jungkook couldn't sit still when he heard his friends were coming home since they usually had all sorts of stories and gifts for Jungkook. He couldn't blame him though, Jungkook probably thought they were abandoning him on his birthday which Yoongi had to admit especially since this would be the first year he had any friends to celebrate with.

Before starting high school, Yoongi didn't think the kid even had any friends. But since Jungkook joined the basketball team Yoongi and the rest of his group had taken Jungkook under their wing like older brothers. They babied him and fed him and tutored him and and stuck by his side through everything. Hell, they were practically Jungkook's family given how much they cared for him.

If they didn't care for him, no one would.

Yoongi frowned at the thought.

Jungkook's real family had abandoned him when he was only 13 years old, just two years before they met him. The boy had been living with his childhood friend ever since and even though Taehyung's family took him in, Yoongi knew Jungkook was still lonely, still afraid of being abandoned. Yoongi couldn't bring back his real family but he did his best to make Jungkook feel like he had a place to go when he was feeling down.

Snapping out of his thoughts, Yoongi pulled up beside the Jungkook and Taehyung's house already getting ready to haul both of their gym bags inside.

"Kookie. Let's go. Remember Jin's here." Jungkook perked up a little at the reminder that their eldest friend was making dinner. Jin always made the best food.

As the entered, Yoongi accidentally slammed the door behind him, something he'd been scolded for more than once already. Just because he was always welcome didn't mean he could go around making a ton of noise. 

On cue, Taehyung's head popped out of the kitchen already knowing who was in his house and making a racket, but as soon as he saw Jungkook that bright boxy smile erased the frown pointed Yoongi's way. Taehyung could never be mad at his best friend, ever. Yoongi didn't think he had ever seen Taehyung so much as frown at Jungkook. 

"Ya, you guys are late. Jin finished cooking 15 minutes ago," Taehyung winked at Jungkook. "Don't worry. I saved some for you," he then looked pointedly at Yoongi, "but none for Suga."

Yoongi bristled not at the use of his nickname but at the obvious mocking tone but was interrupted before he could say anything

"Don't be rude Taehyung-ah, I made plenty for everybody even Yoongi," Jin's voice rang from the kitchen and everyone piled into the room to get food. Yoongi wasn't surprised to see Jimin sitting with Jin at the kitchen table. Jimin often hung out with the other two younger boys and was another semi-permanent fixture at Taehyung's house. Thanking Jin, the two boys grabbed themselves a bowl of noodles and joined the others at the table. Yoongi smiled as Jin immediately started fussing over Jungkook, pointing out the bags under his eyes and telling him to sleep more and take care of himself. It was as normal a day as any and even though they were missing two members of their little gang, Yoongi could tell Jungkook adored having his hyungs around him.

Their group was an interesting one, though Yoongi met Jungkook through the basketball team, the rest of their friends weren't even into sports. Their oldest friend, Jin, only a couple months older than Yoongi, was getting ready to graduate at the end of the year, he already had a job at a restaurant. Jin was the mom of the group and cared for his friends like they were kids, he cooked often trying out new recipes on them and using their feedback to fine-tune his dishes. Jin wanted to open his own restaurant someday and Yoongi thought he could really do it. Then there were Hoseok and Namjoon. Those guys were younger than Yoongi, but already incredibly talented and on their way to becoming music superstars. Currently those two were in Seoul, finishing up their first album for debut. They'd been producing music for years but finally last year a company picked them up, recognizing their talent, and now they were ready to be real musicians. Yoongi laughed at that, he never thought he'd be friends with famous people.

Finishing his noodles, Yoongi rested his head on his hand and glanced over at Jimin, Taehyung and Jungkook, the self proclaimed maknae-line, who were currently playing with their noodles while Jin pretended to scold them for playing with their noodles. Even though he had the chubbiest cheeks ever, Jimin was one of their more athletic friends but into dance rather than sports. Yoongi had to admit the kid had real talent and though Jimin dressed in tank tops and shorts and wore a snapback, he was trained in contemporary as well as hip hop but he'd never admit it. They'd gone to one of his recitals once and watching Jimin move gracefully across the stage was incredibly powerful. They'd and embarassed him after, but Jimin knew they were all secretly proud of him. Jimin often danced with Taehyung and Jungkook but that was usually their silly antics to upbeat hip hop songs and letting his friends see the other side of him was a big deal that everyone took to heart. Yoongi then looked over at Taehyung who was giggling with Jungkook. Even though he was a good two years older than Jungkook, Yoongi often forgot that Taehyung wasn't the youngest. With his adorable box-shaped smile and ridiculous antics Taehyung was always up to no good, especially when paired up with Jungkook. It was only when Taehyung spoke that you maybe could tell he was older. Taehyung's deep voice was at odds with his baby face but he'd definitely grow into it one day and Yoongi knew the kid was gonna break some hearts. 

They were a mismatched bunch for sure but Yoongi couldn't ask for better friends. They kept each other in balance and while there were ups and downs they often thought of each other as a surrogate family. However, with two out of seven gone there was a bit of a hole in their group but they couldn't hold that against Hoseok and Namjoon. They were getting ready for a life after high school which Yoongi didn't want to think about just yet but he knew it would come sooner rather than later. 

Ignoring the pang, Yoongi realized it was getting late and he should take Jin and Jimin home so they could finalize plans for tomorrow. What Jungkook didn't know is that his two hyungs had come home a little earlier than expected, so they had to sneak them into the house before Jungkook got home tomorrow afternoon.

"Jungkook we gotta go but we'll see you tomorrow at school ok?" Jimin ruffled Jungkook's hair as a goodbye.

"Wait, hyung are you free after school tomorrow? Wanna hang out?"

Jimin looked ashamed and couldn't look Jungkook in the eye, "Sorry Jungkook, I've got extra dance practice tomorrow. Probably gonna have to stay late." Jimin glanced up to see Jungkook's reaction. 

Disappointment crossed Jungkook's face for a second before Taehyung leapt onto his back, "Ya, Jungkook. Don't worry we can hang out tomorrow," it only barely managed to cheer Jungkook up but he put on a brave face anyway.

"It's ok. I understand."

Yoongi pretended not to see the way Jungkook scrunched his eyebrows together in that tell-tale sign that he was holding back tears. Just one more day and it would all be worth it.