They found me?

A broken mirror

I heard her screams. I jerked my body out of bed and into her room. She was laying there in her bed, kicking and screaming. Her fragile voice murmured ”Please don't, please don''t do this” Beads of sweat feel on her pale skin. It had been a while since it had visited her. I shook her gently.

Minzy-ah, wake up, you're not there anymore” I could feel her petite body tremble as I embraced her. Her soft whimpers that had been present had been replaced by a quiet sobbing.

It's okay, shh, it's going to be okay.” I felt so helpless in situations like this.

it was that dream. I had it once again.”

yeah I know” was all that I could answer. I held her in my arms as we sat there. Nothing was said. I could feel her breathing slow down. I leaned over to her bed stand and the lamp. The light revealed her cute little puppy sleeping in it's nest. Basically nests are for birds but this dog really made it like a nest. Our clothes and cushions was laying in a pile that had shaped after his body from where he had snuggled before going to sleep. I couldn't help but smile. She had insisted we should adopt him. She had never had a pet before at the place where she had been. So when her eyes fell on this cute little creature with her big round eyes and while wagging her tale she was sold.

I looked up at her. Her face was sullen. Those normally beautiful eyes were swollen after her tears. Traces of their apparence still lingered on her gaunt cheeks. She was like a shadow of herself.

When did you last eat?”

She avoided my eyes. I knew it had been days. These days had been frantic. I had been so busy with looking for our next hideout, that I had completely forgotten about her old habits.

I'm so sorry Minzy, I've been so busy this week, you know you can just eat the things in the fridge I told you it was okay”

She watched me with disbelieve. No matter how many times I told her that it was okay, she just couldn't get herself to make the next move. I had witness how she at times had moved towards the fridge with a slow pace and how her hand had laid heavily on the handle. Her mind debating whether it was okay to really open it. Every time she would return empty-handed.

I kept forgetting she was not like me.

"Come on, lets get you something to eat" I took her hand and got her to stand up. Her weak body collapsed before I could support her enough. Her apologetic eyes looked at me as we both had collapsed on the ground. I could feel a throbbing pain taking over my right foot. This was bad. I got up and rested most of my body's weight on my left foot. I pulled her up and tried to use the wall as an extra support as we limped our way to the kitchen. I sat her down on our old kitchen chair. It was ancient looking and it was a mystery how it hadn't collapsed under her weight. I went to fridge to find her something edible. It was almost empty. Out here in the real world we barely made it. I found some rice and a little bit of cheap meat which we had saved from yesterdays dinner. I put the plate down in front of her as she looked up at me. I knew what she was waiting for. I went to the cupboard to get a spoon. She chocked on her food.I went to get her a glass of water while I looked out of the window.

It was three o'clock in the morning. The street was dark and quiet. No sound of cars or any kind of human traffic. Only the sound of a spicy breeze surrounded our building. The house where we had rented a room for the past three months was on an old industrial street. Mismatched buildings surrounded the house we stayed in. Across the road a streetlight flickered, nearly ready to burn out. It still cast enough light for me to make out the shapes of some trash cans and old trees. I could see the silhouettes of the bushes and flowerbeds in our own yard. Something caught my eye. There was a man watching me.

A tall figure stood by the tree across the street, where he had an easy view through the window. He was close by. Close enough to see what had just happened with Minzy. I couldn't let them come for her. The shadows covered him so well that even with me being at a heightened sight, I couldn't make out any of his features. Except for his height. He was tall. He stood there for a moment, barely discernible and then he stepped back. He disappeared into the shadows cast by the trees. I was pretty sure I caught some other movements beside him before they were swallowed by the darkness. A cold fear rose inside of me as I backed off from the window and jerked on a pair of old jeans. it nearly made me stumble during the process as my body weigh fell on my bad foot. After the jeans where on I grabbed our coats. I threw it at her. My face said it all. She tried to make her way quickly towards me. It wasn't quick enough. I bit in the pain of my bad foot and grabbed her arm. as we had made our way outside. I caught her several times preventing her body to collide with the ground.

"Chae...what are we going to do if they catch us?" she whispered tightening her grip on my arm.

"They won't I said boldly. "I won't let them.". They had found us before and we had gotten away before. "we'll go to the train station and take the next train to Seoul. We'll get lost in the crowd. They will loose the trail."

I made it sound so simple, as if it was an everyday thing, when honestly there was nothing simple about being on the run from those people. Even though we had been on the run for two years it never got any easier. We had been hiding wherever we could and just trying to finish high school. Our senior year had just started and we had been so close to freedom.

She knew it wouldn't help arguing against me so she said no more. I knew she had faith in me even when I didn't deserve it. After that day she had supported my every decision. I was the reckless one who took action, while she was the more caution one of. Even though most of the time she kept quiet when we weren't alone. She always had thoughts lying behind each of her actions. But at this moment impulsiveness and recklessness were the way to go. We didn't have time to hesitate.

"Do you hear that?" She said. I took me a few seconds to separate our own pace of steps from what sounded like an echo of them. It had to be their footsteps and they were moving fast.

"We've got to run for it. We can't let them get us."

"But chae you can't, you're hurt, just-."

"Run"

It took ever ounce of my will power to not collapse on the sidewalk. I glanced to my side and saw her fighting not to pass out on the sidewalk that we were running on. I ordered my body to stop ing and clung together with Chaerin as we tried to use each other as support while our bare feet pounded against the concrete. Normally our speed would have been quicker, but with our condition it would be luck if we didn't get caught. The footsteps of our pursuers grew louder, closer. I could make out a great hiding place just ahead of us where we could catch our breath, just a little bit longer.

A man stepped directly onto our path. We came to an immediately halt, which caused Minzy to stop. I jerked her back by her arm, putting her into a safe position behind my back.

There he was. It was him. The guy I had seen across the street. He was older than us, maybe in the early twenties. He was wearing a completely black suit, and with his dark brown eyes and dark hair he blended together with the night amazingly.

 

But his hotness was irrelevant now. He was an obstacle keeping me and Minzy from our freedom. The footsteps behind us had slowed down and I knew our pursuers had caught up.

Off to the sides I detected some more movements, more people were closing in on us. They had to be a lot more than I had realized during our run.

Out of pure panic and loss of control I acted out of instinct forgetting all about my hurt body.

"Leave her alone" I said as I pressed her closer to me.

He held his hand out in what was supposed to be a calming gesture with his face unreadable. I felt like I was an animal of the wildness that he was going to sedate.

"I won't do-"

He took a step too close to us. I attacked him, leaping out in an offensive maneuver. The move was stupid, another reaction born of instinct and fear. It was hopeless. He was skilled. Extremely skilled. And he wasn't weak and about to pass out. He knocked me off as though he was brushing a fly away, and his hands slammed into me, sending me backwards. Unable to catch my footing I fell forward hips first with a hurt angle. It was going to hurt like hell. But it didn't as quickly as he had sent me off flying, the man had extended his arm and had caught a hold of me which right now was the only thing keeping me upright. When I had steadied myself I noticed he was staring behind me. I turned around to check on Minzy, only to see her surrounded by more men while two was gripping her arms. I backed towards her. I was going to fight them off even if it meant my dead. As I stood in front of them, her hand caught a slight hold of my.

"Chae don't" she pleaded quietly. I knew struggling would be pointless, we were strongly outnumbered, hurt and tired.

The tension left my body and I sagged in defeat. If I couldn't avoid her going back there, I was going with her.

"My name is Choi Seunghyun and I've come to bring you back Lee Chaerin.