026

Sweet Nothings II

It was a fine line between what’s right and wrong. In between, there were a huge stretch of grey areas because nothing is as it seem. Sehun understood that perfectly but he had pledged himself to uphold justice.

There is no grey area in law, either you are right or wrong. Yet he found his heart softening every day for the person he was supposed to apprehend. His resolve to uphold justice was wavering and he didn’t know how to continue with this undercover assignment.

It had been a year since he worked up the ranks and eventually earned the trust of Luhan, becoming his right hand man. His target was Luhan and in apprehending him, he was able to bring down the whole organisation.

He wasn’t the first undercover that was sent to get close to Luhan but he was the only one who managed to achieved what he had. Perhaps, it was the world that Luhan grew up in but he wasn’t someone who trust easily much less drop his façade in front of people. He portrayed himself as a cold and unfeeling man in front of everyone else, ruling with an iron fist.  

However, it turned out Luhan wasn’t as unfeeling as Sehun thought he was. There was once when Sehun had taken a bullet to his shoulder, that bullet was meant for Luhan but his body had moved instinctively. He woke up to the sight of white ceiling, turning to his side, he saw Luhan whose eyes were bloodshot.

It was clear that Luhan hadn’t sleep and Sehun had given him a weak smile, trying to assure him that he was fine. Luhan heaved a sigh of relieve, the tension visibly lifted from his shoulders when he saw Sehun woke up.

“You shouldn’t have done that,” Luhan told him quietly. “Everyone’s life is precious and I don’t need someone to play hero for me.”

With that said, Luhan left the room.

 

 

Slowly, Sehun discovered more new sides of Luhan. The male was simply hiding his tenderness behind a steel wall, closing himself off from everyone. Standing at the top, he had great power and wealth yet he was lonely.

Sehun’s heart ached for him, he wanted to do nothing more than to gather him in his arms, sheltering him from everything else. How ironic, he was supposed to send him to jail but now, he had fallen for Luhan.

Then again, how could he not?

The small act of kindness that Luhan showed when he thought no one else was looking but Sehun knew. Just like how he knew Luhan had set up a charity foundation for orphans or how he had made sure that if someone died in the line of duty, the family will be taken care of for life. Or how he had turned up the heater if it happened to rain, knowing that Sehun’s shoulders will ache.

The rare smiles that Luhan had showed him was enough for Sehun to etch it in his brain forever. He had the most absurd urge to want Luhan to keep smiling, he wanted to give everything he could just to keep that smile on Luhan’s face.

However, they weren’t meant to be.

 

 

A month had passed after Sehun managed to accomplish his assignment. He had turned over the discriminating evidences to his handler, those evidences were enough to send Luhan to jail. But before the police force was able to do so, Luhan was already dead. It was said that someone had assassinated him.

Jongin, Luhan’s most trusted man, had appeared at Sehun’s doorstep. Without any warning, the tanned male threw a punch, aiming at Sehun’s face. He made no retaliation, he didn’t want to. With bruises on his face, he spat out the blood in his mouth before looking at Jongin.

“Luhan knew all along that you are a cop but he didn’t do anything because he loves you.” Jongin broke the news to Sehun. At that moment, Sehun’s world come shattering down. “He told me to keep it a secret – “

“Did Luhan kill himself – “

“He did but does it make any difference? He had so many enemies and it is a given that he will surely die if he was sent to the prison.” Jongin said. “For the longest time, he had been barely living and he would have just given up if it wasn’t because the organisation needed him.”

Sehun didn’t say anything but with each word that Jongin told him, his world continued to keep shattering.

“If he disband the organisation, there will be a massacre. All the gangs will want a piece of this lucrative joint and they are willing to get it through any means even if it means killing everyone in the previous organisation to ensure that all threats are being eliminated. He didn’t want that to happen so he continued to stay.” Jongin sat down on the floor. “It was only until he met you when he started to smile more often, he started to live. For someone who had been barely living for the past twenty years, Luhan was living for once.”

“Don’t – I don’t want to listen anymore.” Sehun cried. “Stop talking!”

“He gave you a chance but you eventually turned him in. Rather than letting you beating yourself up for turning him in, he decided to kill himself and make it looked as though it was an assassination.” Jongin stood up, walking to the door. “He didn’t want me to tell you these. At the very end, he was still thinking of you. Oh Sehun, you can be so selfish.”

“I am sorry,” Sehun whispered to no one in particular. The one person he wanted to apologise to was no longer breathing. It was then when he kneeled down as the tears fall. 

 

 

 

*an: a new drabble and there is a ending this time, no cliffhanger! hahahas. all comments, upvotes and subscription are appreciated. do drop more prompts in my ask.fm, i am looking forward to it!

ask.fm | twitter | tumblr