Sadie Hawkins

↻┊ stop & play - seventeen oneshot collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

title : sadie hawkins
pairing : jeon wonwoo & anh nguyen
genre : friendship; school au; romance
originally published : january sixteen, twenty-fourteen
originally completed : january sixteen, twenty-fourteen
short summary : jeon wonwoo learns a few things. one: he's not that far from hearing range to the girl's bathroom. two: he can finally open his locker after months of not knowing his combination. three: caramel coffee actually tastes good.

“Class 2D, may I have your attention please? Class 2D!” An agitated Doyoon slammed his clipboard holding his agenda onto the teacher's desk with a loud clap. This caught the students' attention in a snap. All eyes, ears, and bodies were now facing the class president's direction, waiting for whatever he had to say whether it be important or not. Assuming that he was now the focus of attention, Doyoon cleared his throat and brushed his neatly straightened bangs to the side, and put on a fake commercial boy smile, “I have some great news to share with you today. This school year, the student council has decided to bring a western twist for this year's first dance,”

He didn't even get to say what the surprise was until he heard the various moans of all the males in the classroom. For the boys, it was always such a tease for them to go around and actually ask someone to the dance because the school rule stated that there was “No man left behind”. If you wanted to go to the dance, then you had to bring someone. If you don't want to bring someone, then you can't go. But unfortunately, it wasn't as simple as it sounds. A frown made it's way onto the upperclassman's face when he saw how immature the boys were being. But to everyone else, he technically had no right to frown down upon them because he already had a girlfriend. He just wouldn't understand, ya know?

“Alright then, I'll just continue when you're all done with your little boy complaining,” Doyoon crossed his arms, and raised an eyebrow at all of them. Being called 'little boys' was so not cool. The males quieted down, and once again he had their full attention. Doyoon glanced down at his agenda and continued, “This year, Public Affairs Officer Hansol introduced us to the idea of a Sadie Hawkins dance!”

There was silence. Blank stares were the only expressions worn by the other students. Doyoon could have sworn that they would be more excited for this idea, until it hit him that they had no clue what a Sadie Hawkins was. Setting his clipboard down, more gently than he did the first time, he clapped his hands together and injected a little more enthusiasm into his voice, “For those of you that don't know, a Sadie Hawkins is a less formal dance where the females invite the males to accompany them to the event,”

In the back of the room, with his legs propped up on another student's lap, was a tall, softspoken blonde boy tapping away on his iPad. Luckily for him, his was being saved from the wrath of Doyoon by the other boy sitting on the desk in front of him, Kim Mingyu. He wasn't really paying attention to the announcements, nor did he ever pay attention for that matter. He didn't do any extracurricular activities that required his attention, so why bother? Besides, his friends would tell him anyway. After exiting the menu screen of Where's My Water?, Wonwoo looked up to try and tune into what was going on. But the moment he did, his eyes met another pair that were sneaking a peek from the front of the room. Three desks ahead, two desks to the left. It was Anh. Her eyes widened in shock, and immediately she returned her attention to Doyoon who was rambling on about the school news, but not fast enough to prevent Wonwoo from seeing the blush that had formed on her face. The corners of Wonwoo's mouth twitched slightly, almost like he wanted to smile.

Anh Nguyen.

“That's it?” Mingming asked Wonwoo as they walked down the hallway with a small group of friends towards the cafeteria. He had a basketball tucked underneath his right arm, while he studied his Korean language notes that were in his other hand. The idea didn't sound all that interesting to Mingming, but then again, this was coming from someone who barely interacted with anyone anyway.

“Well yeah, I would think so. The student council isn't the greatest when it comes to originality, you know,” Soonyoung chimed in, snatching the ball away from Mingming, “Except I don't know about you guys, but I think this Sadie Hawkins is the greatest thing that ever happened at this school. I hate asking girls out to the dance,”

“You're just mad that Mingming's little sister is the only one who actually says 'yes' to you,” Wonwoo snickered, nudging Mingming who just gave him a braced smile in response. He was far too busy studying his grammar rules to be worried about what was going on with Daoming's love life.

The small group consisting of Soonyoung, Seokmin, Jihoon, Mingming, and Wonwoo weaved their way through First Year Hall, barely made it past the quarterbacks in Third Year Hall, and were just about to enter the cafeteria from Second Year Hall, where their classrooms were also located. They took a quick stop at their lockers to grab their books for the afternoon classes, but on the way to his locker, Wonwoo couldn't help overhearing the chatter coming from inside the girl's bathroom just about five lockers away from him. Once the blow dryer stopped running, he could hear about four or five girls giggling. He was almost certain it was about the Sadie Hawkins dance.

See, if there was something everyone knew about

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter