Introduction (Pt.2)

[HIATUS] XOXO Graphic Studio: Design Your Imagination (Poster Tutorial & Resource)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
INTRODUCTION (Part 2)

 

Please read this if you're a beginner. You can skip this if you already knew the basic knowledge about GIMP.

 

In this introduction (part 2), what we're going to do are:

i. How to open canvas, images, and layers.

ii. How to adjust layers.

iii. How to choose brush, pattern, gradient and fonts.

 

 

I presume you guys had already read chapter 1, so let's proceed to our next introduction.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i. How to open canvas, image, and layer 

1. So when you've open GIMP software, you'll see an empty space on the center, right? That'll be our workspace to design whatever graphics you wanted to do.

But you can't get started yet. You need to open new canvas for your project. To do this, click File>New or simply press Ctrl+N. A small box will pop out on the screen. Adjust the Width and Height to set the canvas size. In this screenshot below I'll choose Width:500 and Height:600.  500x600 pixels is ideal size for any poster. You can change it according to your own preference.

If you want more option, you can click on Advanced Options. You can set whatever you like, but usually I'll skip this part. Click OK button and you'll see a empty, white canvas.

 

2. Now let's add some images into our project. To open the image, you can either:

a. Click File > Open as Layers. Choose your desired image / idol photo and click Open. You can add multiple image by hold on Ctrl key and click on images.

or

b. Simply drag the image from your folder into your canvas. Then right click your mouse and click Edit>Cut (or press Ctrl+X) . Then right click your mouse again, choose Edit>Paste as>New Layer. Repeat the process for multiple images. For this part, I chose Xiumin's image.

Note: ALWAYS OPEN THE IMAGES AS LAYERS.

 3. You've learnt how to open new canvas and image, so now let's learn to open new layers. Creating a layer allows you to work on individual parts of image without affecting other image of other layers. You can imagine layers as a transparent paper that are stacked on each other and can be repositioned or edited without affecting others. That's why I emphasized you to open the images as layers. So, to open a new layer, click on the button with red mark below:

and you'll see a box pop out on the screen like this:

In my case, it will automatically set to "Transparency". You can change any attributes if you like. I prefered to leave it that way. Then click OK. Now we have 3 layers, which the new layer we've created seconds ago is positioned on top of Xiumin's layer.

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter