Chapter 1

Love and Everything else in Between

The male groaned as he pressed snooze for the nth time today, his eyes trying to adjust to the presence of the morning light. Who the hell set my phone's alarm? It's Saturday for gods' sake!

He tried his best to go back to sleep; covering his body with blankets and cuddling his pillows to extend his interrupted slumber. He knew he'll wake up with a headache later, but that doesn't matter. It's the weekend, and for one Jung Daehyun, weekends mean longer hours of lazing.

His eyes were already faltering back to dreamland when a shout echoed in his room.

"WAKE UP YOU LAZY DUMB-! YOU'RE ON HOUSEHOLD DUTY!" The girl said, shaking the poor boy in process. "I'M HUNGRY DAE!" The girl continued her antics, not caring even if it annoys the other.

After a minute of non-stop bed movements, Daehyun let out a loud grunt of irritation. "Noona, can you just cook your own breakfast? Ask Krystal to help you," he said, groggily.

"Krystal went out early, she have gymnastics practice today," the girl replied, disappointment evident in her voice. "I'm only here during weekends but look at the two of you, it's as if you don't care about me."

"Sica-noona, it's not like we don't care. Ugh—okay, I'll cook breakfast and finish the chores. We'll hang-out wherever you want later."

"Yey! I love you baby brother slash sister!" The elder exclaimed, squishing Daehyun in a bear hug.

 

 

The Jungs is a family of five who came from the U.S, went back to Korea to stay in Busan and transferred to Seoul for the the kids' education. Mr. Jung is a lawyer while Mrs. Jung is the one who manages the family business — three coffee shops located in Busan, Daegu and Seoul. Jessica, the eldest, is currently in her second year in Kyunghee University, majoring in Marketing. Daehyun, the only son, is a high school senior while Krystal, the youngest and a sophomore, both studying in Seoul Arts Academy.

While some Korean families are still indifferent about their children coming out, Mr. and Mrs. Jung supported their kids regardless of what uality they prefer. At the young age of 10, Krystal was well assured she's into girls than boys while Daehyun only came out of the closet when he's already 15.

Jessica, the only straight one among them, didn't mind her sibling's preferences. "I love Dae and Krys no matter what. They're my precious siblings and no one can harm them as long as I'm alive." she once said, when one of her friends, Tiffany, asked about her thoughts on having a gay brother and sister.

 

 

"Dae, when will you consider wearing contacts? You know you look better without those specs." Jessica asked her brother. They're currently shopping in Apgujeong, just like what the younger promised to the elder.

"I'm too lazy with the maintenance, plus, no one thinks I look bad with it either." he answered.

"Or maybe, Youngjae thinks it's great on you. Gosh Dae! You and your undeniable crush with that 'best friend' of yours is too deep. Freaking Marianas Trench, baby bro."

"Noona, people are staring. And I don't have a crush on Youngjae, he's straight."

"And you can't have a crush on him because of that? Dae, I've dated lots of guys, a good quarter of them are now dating men."

"That's back in the U.S, we're in Korea now."

"Who the F cares? Don't get stuck in the friend-zone, Dae. It'll hurt."


The difference of being a rich kid is, maybe, having things a little easier than others.

So when Youngjae said he wants his breakfast at eight, it'll be in his room at exactly eight.

"Do you want anything else, Young Master?" his butler, Mr. Kang asked.

"Nah, I'm good. Thanks."

 

 

For a man who has everything, Youngjae still feels he's lacking. Maybe it's the pressure? No, his parents were pretty cool about anything he does. Maybe because of his image? No, he's perfectly fine with who he is. Or maybe  it's because he's too tired of his life? Yes, maybe not in the suicidal sense —but he's tired of being Yoo Youngjae.

Youngjae spent the whole day thinking of ways to get rid of his stupid thoughts. "I'm a lucky guy. Wait, no, I'm ing blessed! What's wrong with me?"

A text message cut his thoughts, it's from Daehyun.

 

I got new lenses today. Noona forced me to buy them. How's your Saturday?

 

Youngjae didn't know why, but his lips curved into a smile upon reading the text.