CH. 1 The Ginseng Merchant and His Son

Rotten Luck

Rotten Luck

 

Ch. 1 (Edited for grammar)

 

    “Come on Myungsoo yah wake up!” The older man nudged at the sleeping form that laid inside a miniature victorian coffin next to his.

    

    “Hnn….wae Appa the sun is barely setting…let me sleep some more…” The small boy groaned and yawned revealing two small sharp fangs.

    

    “Don’t you want to enjoy the glorious sunshine before it sets?” Sunggyu called out optimistically, making his way over to the shuttered windows extending his arms. The window were partially boarded up except for a few cracks that allowed some particles of light to shine through.

    “Appa… your arm is burning,” Myungsoo squeaked as he leisurely sat up while rubbing his red eyes. The warning his son gave him made Sunggyu panic a little as he finally noticed the wisps of smoke on his evaporating skin and the kindling flame that had soon burst on the sleeves of his read trench coat. The older man frantically flapped his arm to extinguish the fire; it only made it worse. He resorted to taking the coat off and stomping on it. Once the flames died out, Sunggyu went over to Myungsoo, pulling the younger out from his dusty coffin.

 

    “Nevermind that! Your mother left for his monthly trip to your grandmother this morning. There’s only you and me in the house. I can’t just leave you while I go into town to run some errands. Come on! Get up up up we go!” Sunggyu shoved the small vampire towards the door and lightly kicked his to get him moving faster.

    “Waeeee… Hoya ahjusshi can watch over me…”

 

        “Hoya ahjusshi is busy hunting tigers; he’ll stop later tonight to visit us. Plus, I doubt he wants to be alone with you after you broke his purple crossbow last time while playing hide and seek with the screaming banshees.”

 

    “But Appa, I didn’t do it on purpose…the banshees told me to play hard or go home!”

 

    “I know I know, but Hoya ahjusshi needs some time alone ok?...Look I promise I’ll get you something in town while we’re there.”

 

    “OK!”

    

    The little vampire smiled brightly, revealing two deep dimples on his chubby baby cheeks upon hearing Sunggyu’s promise of a new toy. This was their usual routine when Woohyun umma was out of town for his monthly visit back to his mother’s place. While Myungsoo’s mom was out of town, he always ordered Sunggyu to go buy supplies in town. “Supplies”, usually meaning ten packs of razors, some aromatic candles, squishy balls, and body ointments from the local vendor.

 

    “Come on Myungsoo we have to hurry before the shop closes for the night.” Sunggyu rushed the little boy out while pulling a black coat, similar to that of his trench coat, over his son.

 

    “Now...once we’re in town, remember there are a lot of dangerous people, so don’t run off on your own. We don’t know who might be a vampire hunter, so stick close to me.”

 

    “I know Appa.”

 

    “Ok come on lets go.”

    

    

With one hand, the older man took his son’s hand and held out an extensive list of necessities scribbled down by his wife, Woohyun. The roll of paper dangled down to his feet and from below, Myungsoo turned his eyes to it and made a face.

 

    “Appa, why does Woohyun Umma need so many razors every time we go into town?” The boy asks in full curiosity.

 

    “Umma uses them the shave his legs Myungsoo.”

 

    “But why?”

 

    “...Umm...it’s a woman thing...I guess.” Gyu shrugged, checking other items on the list.

 

    “But...Umma is not a woman…Why...”

 

    “....AHhh I don’t know!...Stop asking so many questions…”

 

______________________________________________________________________________

 

    The family lived on the top of a grassy hilltop, only, there is a ring of black dirt around their house where nothing grew (not even weeds). Every day right at sunset, Myungsoo would take a trip downtown with his father. The pair would have two large sacks of ginseng over their shoulders to sell and trade with the other merchants. It was a two for one deal really, trading ginseng for necessary household items. It wasn’t as if Sunggyu really needed humanly possessions, but he did marry a human after all, and so it was his duty to take care of his wife’s needs above his own.

    


 

Woohyun is the most beautiful woman in all the land (by means of self proclamation and according to Sunggyu). When Sunggyu first laid eyes on Woohyun, he thought that Woohyun truly was the most beautiful and radiant person he had ever seen in the village (given that he doesn’t travel far from his old, run down mansion). He found Woohyun so beautiful and wanted him so much that even amongst the many suitors that chased him, Woohyun was the only being that made his old vampire heart beat again (metaphorically). He didn’t want anyone else. He saw the perfect chance at love when he saw Woohyun walking through the village square like a young damsel in distress while carrying his luggage for he had moved to the village from a far, far, away land. Gyu took the initiative to help the “maiden” out.

Young love sparked between them as Woohyun quickly fell victim to Sunggyu’s charms and sooner than they realized it, the couple married. Then they adopted Myungsoo. Despite their differences -- Sunggyu a vampire, and Woohyun a human, they tried to make their marriage work. Sunggyu just couldn’t part from Woohyun. The latter’s smell was intoxicating to Sunggyu, a smell like no other human.

        _______________________________________________________________________

 

    “APPA APPA LOOK!” Myungsoo pointed ahead at the many stands around the perimeter of the plaza.

 

    “Ah here we are. The market is still bustling isn’t it Myungsoo?”

 

    “Yep!”

    

    “Looks like we’ll  sell a lot of ginseng tonight!”

 

    “But Appa, don’t we need to get umma’s razors first?”

    

    “Oh right!”

 

    The older man took his son’s hand and the two proceeded into the square to a familiar vendor.

 

    “Hello, hello welcome to Lady Jang’s Apothecary Shop! Today’s special you can buy 2 tonics and get 1 free! It’s very good for rusty bones and tired bodies! Come and get your power tonics!!!” A lovely lady with beautiful strawberry blonde hair called out to the crowd.

 

The lady caught Myungsoo’s eyes. Sunggyu pulled at his arm motioning for his son to move forward, but the boy stopped dead on his tracks still staring at the lovely woman. Soon the older man finally noticed the medicine vendor. His heart skipped a few beats upon seeing her grace, but what truly caught his attention was what she had to offer. He pulled Myungsoo towards the stand.

 

“Oh hello there! Would you like to buy a power tonic! We’re having a special promotion today! Oh my name is Dongwoo.”

 

Myungsoo couldn’t keep his eyes off the pretty “lady”.

 

“Oh hello there little man why aren’t you a cute little thing,” Dongwoo smiled sweetly at Myungsoo.

    

“Hi, you’re a really pretty lady…lady” Myungsoo said.

 

“Oh kehkehkhehehe I’m not a lady, I’m Dongwoo, precious baby, Dong woo...Jang Dongwoo. Well aren’t you a handsome young man.” Dongwoo corrected patting Myungsoo on the head and giving him a lollipop.

    

“But...aren’t you lady Jang?” Myungsoo questioned scratching his head.

 

“Yes yes he gets his good looks from me of course. Hello I’m his father!” Sunggyu introduced himself taking Dongwoo’s hand and shaking it.

 

    The little boy narrowed his eyes unimpressively at his father’s self introduction. He knew his sleazy dad was at it again. He was doing his so call “killing two birds with one stone” act; flirting his way into a good sale deal.

 

    “Say, how much did you say these tonics were? You see I have some ginseng that might be some use to you….”

 

    “Ohh really you’re a ginseng merchant? Well why didnt’ you say so? I need some…..”

 

    The voices of the adults droned away inside Myungsoo’s head. The boy looked away from the adults and their conversation to the other festivities in town. There were so many interesting places, and so many interesting looking people. Myungsoo had always been attracted to beauty and beautiful objects and beautiful people, and the night market was a perfect place for him to indulge his eyes.

 

_________________________________________________________________________

 

    “Did you get a good deal Appa?” Myungsoo asks his dad  after they left Lady Jang’s Apothecary stand.

 

    “Yes son, but...don’t tell your mother I bought these…”

 

    “Ok, but...wouldn’t Umma find out anyways when he sees them in our medicine cabinet?”

 

    “Oh LOOK Myungsoo FRISBEE! Didn’t you always wanted one of those? Come on I’ll get you one of those and we can head home. I sold enough ginseng today to last us a week.”

 

“Ooooh” Myungsoo eyes sparkled as he made an O shape with his mouth showing a little bit of teeth, baby vampires can’t hide their fangs just yet.

 

    

____________________________________________________________________________

 

    “Yaaay Appa throw it higher higher, higher!!! “ Myungsoo jumped up and down as he prepare himself to catch the flying toy.

 

    “Alright here we go Myungsoo!”

    

    “Yay yaaay, go go Appa!”

 

    With one mighty swing Sunggyu threw the frisbee across the lawn, but a strong wind carried the flying toy up higher and higher away from the small vampire’s head, so high that his chubby little arms could not reach. A soft crack signaled that Myungsoo’s precious toy landed between the branches of a tall tree. Myungsoo quickly ran towards it with Gyu puffing behind him .

 

    “Appa,” Myungsoo pouted as tears began to well up in his eyes. “The thwree…!” His voice squeaked and cracked like a creaky door as he stared up at the tall branches. His lips grew into a bigger pout as he whipped his head to look to his father.

 

    The older man saw his son’s frustrations. He shrugged, but then Myungsoo’s lips began to tremble and soft whimpers quickly escalated to a deafening cry. Tears started streaming down the little vampire boy’s cheeks. Sunggyu stuck a finger in his ears to block out the sound of his wailing child and began scaling the tall tree. He could simply use his vampire powers to transform into a bat to retrieve the toy, but there were way too many witnesses around, and it would take up too much energy. Human blood was sacred and to use up his energy would quickly turn him towards starvation and he didn’t want to risk possibly losing control and biting Woohyun. Hunting for a prey was also business since he didn’t want the locals to find any clues that could trace back to his home and potentially endanger his family. They had codes to go by, and Gyu just didn’t want to risk it.

 

    Sunggyu failed to retrieve the frisbee. It was only an act to get the child to stop crying. “Eueegh, eueegh,” the old man raised up his arm towards the toy and feebly attempted to grab at it. He dropped his arm. “It’s too far Myunggie. Even appa can’t reach it.” That said, Sunggyu easily undid one of his legs that he grasped around the tree trunk like a stripper and eased himself down to the ground.

 

With a final decision, despite his poor crying child’s protest, the vampire picked up Myungsoo and carried him on home. Myungsoo squirmed like a worm inside his father’s hold; his head still lingering desperately towards the direction of his precious toy. He was determined and made a mental note promising to himself that he’ll eventually come back to get it.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

    Hoya sighed dusting his feet on Gyu’s old welcome mat only to kick up even more dust and dirt. The hunt had been unsuccessful that day since there weren’t many tigers in the woods to begin with. It was easier hunting vampires. That all changed though, ever since he indebted himself to Gyu for saving his tail from an evil ex-wife turned banshee; the handsome man had retired from his vampire hunting days. His sole source of income was hunting tigers for their precious fur to sell at the market. They lived in the northern regions of the land where it snowed 8 months a year so tiger pelts are luxury items. Sadly the day’s hunt had turned out to be a fail without his trusty purple crossbow.

    The hunter knocked on the door of his old friend’s home. He was beginning to grow impatient. It was a long and grueling day, especially when he carried equipment that weighed down his tired back. Plus, he hadn’t had dinner yet. He usually crashed at Sunggyu’s house.

 

    *Knock knock knock* Hoya banged on the knocker again.

 

    “Coming coming!” A familiar voice call out from behind the thick oaken doors that were engraved with intricate victorian decorations. The handsome hunter was greeted by a pair of slanted eyes glaring at him through a mailbox-like slit that Sunggyu installed instead of the conventional peephole. Sunggyu opened the door.

 

“Goodness gracious, did you want to bring down the house? My doors are antique you know?” Sunggyu complained while leading his hunter friend inside.

 

“Don’t you mean ancient?” Hoya chuckled at his old friend, taking his seat on a royal purple armchair and proceeded to take off his boots. Sunggyu and Woohyun’s house was like a second home to him; he stayed there more than his own home, and it was nice to know that he had a special place in the house. From the corner, Hoya saw a small black lump sitting by the fireplace facing the wall.

 

“What’s wrong with him today?” Hoya asked the lump’s father.

 

“Ahh he’s just moping over his frisbee.” Sunggyu casually explained. “ Anyways, how was the hunt? Did you get a lot of game today?”

 

“Eh, don’t remind me….”

 

________________________________________________________________________

 

Myungsoo listened on as Sunggyu and Hoya had their manly talks about games, hunts, and sales of the day. His mind was still desperately hung on the precious flying toy, and he wasn’t about to give up on retrieving it yet. He studied the two grown ups closely as he sat on the rug beside the fireplace. Sunggyu took out the wine and offered some to Hoya before mixing a good amount into his own goblet. Myungsoo knew his father’s routine well. Every night after returning from the market, Sunggyu would treat himself for some delicious wine and blood tonic, and Hoya occasionally joined him (except the hunter prefered it without the blood).

 

When the Ahjusshis drank, their talks went on for hours, and that was the perfect time for Myungsoo to rid himself of adult supervision.

 

The child crawled behind the chairs and sofa as the men settled in comfortably onto their seat talking about who knows what. Myungsoo made his way to the door and ran down the hill. He was a special vampire. Like Sunggyu, he was a pure breed but even more special; at a young age, Myungsoo already has supernatural abilities that usual vampires couldn’t master until they reached maturity. The boy had superhuman strength, agility, vision, hearing, memory, and most important of all: stealth. However, despite his naturally gifted abilities, he was shy to use them around his parents. They often warned him about the scary human world, and how dangerous it was if one were to be revealed. Vampires couldn’t risk using their abilities in the presence of humans. His father and mother told him that there were a lot of people who hated vampires, and if they were to catch a cute little vampire boy, the mobsmen would surely burn him at the stake

 

Whatever path it was, Myungsoo only needed to travel it once, and he would remember the way, so it was not unusual for the vampire boy to easily return to the spot where he had lost his precious flying toy.

 

Myungsoo eyed left and right checking for any humanly bystanders. When the coast was clear the boy quickly made his way towards the intimidatingly tall tree. His claws extended out his fingers as his grip against the trunks, and the boy began climbing up the towards the higher branches. His ruby eyes searched from branch to branch, and finally the small vampire spotted his toy. It was stuck on the highest branch of the tree.

 

Myungsoo was getting so close. The boy quickened his pace, but something caught his eye along the way. There across from the branch he stood on was a window, and inside the was a beautifully decorated room lit by soft candles, but even more beautiful than the room itself stood a beautiful small person. Possibly the most beautiful person he had ever seen in his either existence (even more beautiful than the beautiful pink haired lady he saw selling Apothecary), and even more beautiful then Woohyun Umma. The person must be an angle.

 

The young boy let out a dreamy sigh; he found himself drawing closer to the window to get a closer look. The small person was sitting on his small bed, reading a book. His soft angelic complexion radiates under the candle light. He has the softest and silkiest hair Myungsoo had ever seen, and the prettiest pair of eyes that heaven had ever blessed anyone with; a perfectly small but high nose, and gorgeous set of lips. His lips almost formed a perfect heart shape and it was as pink as a rose. Myungsoo really wanted to kiss them.

 

His feet struggled to keep its balance on the branch causing the tree to rustle and parts of the branch scratched against the glass of the window. He could see the pretty small person turning his head abruptly from his book. Myungsoo quickly pulled himself up a few branches higher escaping from view.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________

 

    It was already late at night, but little Sungyeol found himself feeling a bit uneasy, and unable to sleep. He had so much curiosity and excitement in him from a small encounter today with a magical person, so as soon as he got home the young boy searched up books after books to study about the mystical realms.

 

    He was immersed in his study until an eerie screeching noise that came from the window disturbed his concentration. Once again, curiosity overtook Sungyeol and the boy pulled himself off his bed to peer out the window. There seems to have been nothing but deep black darkness, until something came out from the branches of the tree causing Sungyeol to jump. For a split second Sungyeol could’ve sworn he saw glowing deep red eyes staring back at him before disappearing. The boy jumped up quickly running for the other room.

 

    “MOMMA! There’s a scary demon cat with red eyes outside my window!!!” The young boy cried loudly as he ran to search for his mother.