three

Secret Romance

The airport is buzzing with Chinese fans, with some Koreans, waiting for the idols to come. It has been 2 hours since they started camping out, holding their fancy SLR cameras in the air hoping that their oppas will come out any minute. Some would even fool the other bystanders by screaming out their oppa’s names making the others scream in anticipation thinking that the idols finally arrived. When they find out that it was just a spoof, the fans would curse in Mandarin  and threaten each other with dirty looks. Other people in the airport wonder why there are so many fans waiting in the departure area. It’s always like this every time idols arrives at the airport, they are always welcomed by great, shoving, and screaming fans. It’s pretty scary that one day a stampede may occur. Passing through these passionate fans is always a mission; the idols have to fight their way just so they can get into or out of the airport. A normal person might only take him 5 minutes to get to the check-in area, for the idols it can take them up to 15 minutes. The idols struggles a lot under these circumstances. They have to control their face when it gets annoying and despite of being under pressure, they must also show respect to the fans. They must show their public facade to hide their stress, annoyance, and disinterest.

 

Yixing and Minseok finally enters the boarding area, while Luhan, Kyungsoo, and Tao are still left behind with fans trying to hand them gifts as they jostle one another. Yixing and Minseok look at each other and can’t help but give a sympathetic look and shake their head slowly at each other. Once the other three reach the boarding area, they sigh and look very tired from just walking through a sea of fans. They can’t complain since they know this is part of what they signed up for when they decided to be an idol. However, sometimes, it can be really bothersome especially when they have endless schedule on their hands. 

 

In the airplane, Minseok and Luhan always sit together because they are the eldest and closest among the group. Yixing and Kyungsoo beside each other because they both like to stay quiet and rest without any disturbance. Leaving Tao with the manager. Nobody wants to sit with Tao because he can get a little loud and the members like to spend the two-hour ride from Beijing to Incheon to sleep and relax. 

 

As they got to Incheon international airport, same exact scenario greets them. It takes them forever to get to their van with all the fans trying to snap photos of them, give them presents, and touch them. When they finally settled in their van, the five boys look so haggard yet they manage to wave to the fans and smile at them, still grateful for the love and support from the fans.

 

The boys are fast asleep once they get out of the parameters of the airport, away from the screaming fans. At last, they can come back to their dorm and sleep uninterrupted for hours, the long awaited rest after all the very busy comeback promotions.

 

*   *   *

A week after the promotions ended, Kyungsoo goes back to the airport again, this time to start filming their variety show. Up to this day, he has no idea that Jongin will be on the show with him. Kyungsoo and his manager showed up even before the staff and Jongin arrive, waiting at the lobby. 

 

At the airport parking lot, Jongin with his manager, each of them carries two luggages and one hand carry. Jongin still not fully awake, with eyes half-open, struggles to keep up with his manager who’s walking so fast.

 

“Hyung, why do you walk so fast? We’re not gonna be late!” Jongin scratches his right eye as he tries to hurry. 

 

The manager looks back at him and walks a bit slowly so Jongin can keep up. “Well, it’s better if we get there before the staff so they won’t think you’re unprofessional.”

 

Jongin groans and continues to struggle keeping his eyes open as he pull his luggages. He starts to feel butterflies flying around his stomach. Not sure if it’s from the fact that he’s gonna be on a show without s or that he’s meeting Kyungsoo soon. Whatever it is, Jongin is not in his best condition and only hopes that the four day filming in Paris will go by smoothly. Why is he even scared of Kyungsoo? It’s been four years since that encounter, Kyungsoo probably have forgotten it by now. Jongin suddenly feels a hard shell hit his foot that makes Jongin go back to his senses. He sees his manager talking to someone, probably one of the staff, and handing him a handy cam. 

 

“Hey Jongin! Wake up!” The manager pats Jongin’s cheeks. “Here, you have to take a self-cam. Take this with you” Jongin grabs the handy cam from the manager.

 

Jongin looks down at the handy cam and bites his lower lip. “Are you kidding me?” Jongin sighs. Although he’s not awkward when he’s on camera, he’s bad at words. He never say anything interesting or finger-curling worthy that can make fangirls swoon over him. He almost always just rely on the charisma he’s giving on stage for the girls to pray to make him the father of their children. The butterflies in his stomach increased. He thinks of ways to make his self-cam more interesting. 

 

From afar, he can see Kyungsoo sitting cross-legged eyes on the phone with the backlight irradiating his face. As Jongin walks over him, Kyungsoo looks up, surprised to see him. 

 

“Are you here for the show?” Kyungsoo locks his phone and sits up straight.

 

“Uh yeah, hi” Jongin smiles shyly and the two greet each other formally, then to the rest of the staff. 

 

“I’m assuming both of you know each other already so I won’t have to introduce you to each other, right?” The youngest PD smiles at the both of them. The two idols nod and smile in response. “Good! Just sit here while we wait to board.”

 

One seat apart from Jongin, Kyungsoo thinks if he should talk to his senior to break the dead air surrounding them. He looks around and sees the staff talking amongst themselves, while his manager was sleeping with her head bending backwards while clutching on her passport and ticket. Kyungsoo laughs at the sight of this until he feels a tap on his shoulder on his right.

 

“Hyung” Kyungsoo looks at his side and sees Jongin turning on the handy cam.

 

“Mm?”

 

“One of the staff said that we should take a self-cam but I’m not good with this stuff so do you want to do it together?” Kyungsoo moves to the empty seat between them.

 

“Sure but I’m not any better. I don’t know what to do when the camera’s on me.” Kyungsoo is surprised that their not talking to each other awkwardly. Usually, Jongin would avoid looking at his eyes whenever they talk but today’s different. Maybe because of Jongin’s grogginess that makes him less nervous when talking to his hyung. 

 

“Oh let’s just do a greeting for the viewers and tell them to look forward to our show” Jongin suggests. He’s relieved that he’s able to talk straight to Kyungsoo and a little of his burden was lifted off his shoulders. The younger hopes this continue on throughout the whole trip. 

 

Kyungsoo laughs at Jongin’s suggestion. “Why?” Jongin asked looking at Kyungsoo in the eyes without flinching for the first time. Kyungsoo looks in his eyes in return and he just realized how Jongin’s eyes are so expressive. So that’s why whenever Kai performs, it gives off a theatrical feel, it’s his eyes, Kyungsoo thought.

 

“Nothing, you’re becoming a real idol now. You sound like Baekhyun” Kyungsoo chuckles. They start doing their self-cam telling the viewers to look forward and send love and support to their new show.

 

As the two becomes comfortable with each other, the ground flight attendant announces that it’s time for their flight to board. A staff looks at them to give them a signal to line up. The two grabbed their belongings and join the staffs. 

 

The two sit together in the plane. The trip to Paris from Incheon is painfully long. Kyungsoo who’s used to plane rides due to China promotions, know how to keep himself entertain. He’s gotten used to sleeping in an uncomfortable position and when not sleeping, he reads a book or watches a movie. On the other hand, Jongin, who should be used to it by now, seems very uncomfortable. He keeps switching position trying to find the spot that gives the most physical ease. 

 

“Oh my gosh, Jongin! When will you ever stop moving?” Kyungsoo puts down the book he’s reading and giving Jongin a dirty look, who’s struggling to stay still.

 

“I’m sorry hyung, I’m really having a hard time staying still for a long time” Jongin said apologetically.

 

“Just go to sleep” Kyungsoo goes back in focusing on his book. It’s a surprise how one statement from Kyungsoo makes Jongin obedient. Jongin slept through the whole trip and only wakes up when the flight attendant offers them their meal.

 

*   *   *

The whole group arrives at their hotel in Paris at 8am in the morning. There is still a two-hour spare time so they have time to do whatever they please. After settling down, Jongin slumps down on his hotel bed and closes his eyes. As he was about to enter dreamland, he hears a knock on the door. Jongin gets up half-willingly and wears his shoes. He peeks through the door peephole to see who it is. When he sees who the person was, he immediately opens the door and fixes his posture.

 

“Jongin-ah, are you sleeping?” Kyungsoo peeps inside Jongin’s room and finds the bed sheets ruffled. “Actually, never mind. I don’t wanna interrupt your beauty sleep.”

Jongin fixes his ruffled hair, “no hyung, it’s fine. I’ve got enough sleep while on the plane anyway.” He lets Kyungsoo enter his room and offers him to take a seat beside the night stand. 

 

“Are you sure? cos I don’t want you to be grumpy when we start filming” Kyungsoo looks around Jongin’s room and can’t help but feel a little uneasy because of how Jongin just dump all of his bags on the floor. “Besides, you’re not done fixing your things.”

 

“What do you mean?” Jongin asked confusedly. 

 

“Aren’t you going to unpack your clothes or at least prepare what you’re going to wear for later?”  Kyungsoo looks down on Jongin’s shoes, “you don’t wear socks?!” The volume of his voice went up when he saw Jongin wearing shoes without socks. “I-I’m sorry if I’m saying too much.”

 

Jongin pulls his luggages on one side of the room to make up more space. “It’s alright. It’s better than not talking and greeting awkwardly. And yes hyung, I don’t. I find it uncomfortable.”

 

Kyungsoo tries not to say anything more in order not to offend the younger. “What do you wanna do, hyung? We have two hours to spare.” Kyungsoo grabs his phone to look at the notes he took down while preparing for the trip. 

 

“Since, we’re in Paris we cannot leave out indulging ourselves on some good pastries. There’s one near the hotel, a block away, that sells macarons. Do you wanna go and try them?”

 

Jongin feeling very delighted, jumps out of the bed, “Of course hyung!” The sudden change of their interaction surprises Jongin. Well this isn’t so bad after all, he thought. 

 

“Let’s go while we’ve got time. I’m feeling really hungry too, I don’t really enjoy plane food.” Kyungsoo heads to the door excitedly. Jongin follows behind his hyung. 

 

While walking down the hallway, Kyungsoo realizes he forgot his wallet in his room so both of them goes to his room. When Jongin enters the room, he is surprised with how neat and orderly Kyungsoo’s stuff are. The clothes he’s going to wear for the filming is neatly folded and placed on the bed. He takes a glance at the bathroom and sees all his toiletries lined up properly beside the sink. 

 

“Oh so that’s why he was asking me if I’m going to unpack my things” Jongin muttered unconsciously.

 

Kyungsoo searching in his bag hears Jongin speak “Sorry?” Jongin doesn’t say anything pretending not to hear him. “Oh here it is. Jongin-ah let’s go!”

 

The Parisian street is full of elegant and sophisticated shops mixed with historic, traditional designs. There are French people sitting outside cafes reading a book alone while enjoying a cup of coffee, some looks deep in their thoughts while having a conversation with their colleagues, while others seem to be in a hurry wearing fashionable attire. Both of them stands out as they walk through the street as they are the only Koreans in there. Fascinated, the two look around trying to read the French sign boards and laughs at each other’s mistake. 

 

“It’s right there!” Kyungsoo pointed at shop that sells pastries. He checks his phone to see if it’s the correct one. 

 

The shop is very eye-catching as it reveals from the glass windows the scrumptious pastries it offers. From croissants to macarons, to éclairs, everything tastes so good. Kyungsoo and Jongin enters the shop with eyes wide open. 

 

“So this is the famous Ladurée” Kyungsoo inhales the smell of sweet confectionaries. 

 

They separated to have a better look of all the sweets in the shop. Jongin, who has very little knowledge of English, eventually follows Kyungsoo like a puppy afraid that someone might talk to him and not able to respond. While, Kyungsoo is enjoying every scent and every sight of the famous French delicacies. 

 

Kyungsoo purchases all of his chosen pastries and carries two bags. 

 

“Wow hyung you bought a lot” Jongin looks at the two bags Kyungsoo is carrying. They leave the store and heads back to their hotel.

 

“Uhm no not really, this one’s for you!” Kyungsoo gives one bag to Jongin, “I noticed you were looking at the macarons a while ago. I figured you were just afraid to talk to the people that’s why you didn’t get any. Here, have it! Take it as my gift.” Kyungsoo grabs Jongin’s wrist to forcefully give the bag.

 

Jongin blushes and accepts the bag “Thanks hyung. What did you get?” 

 

“I got religieuse, éclairs, mille-feuille and of course, I cannot leave out macarons. Although we can buy these in Seoul, it’s always good to try the authentic ones.” Jongin is in shock by how much Kyungsoo knows about French pastries. 

 

“Why do you know so much? I’m impressed.” Jongin smiles and looks down at Kyungsoo, who is so fascinated by the Parisian street.

 

Kyungsoo smirks still looking around, “I’m not gonna lie, I was actually excited about this. Even though I don’t know who I’m gonna be working with, the thought of being chosen and going abroad to film a show without my members is pretty thrilling. Then I found out it was you, I was grateful for that. I don’t really mind who I’m going to work with but at least, we know each other long enough so it’s more comfortable than other idols who I haven’t met before.” Kyungsoo smiles at Jongin, who’s looking at a different direction avoiding Kyungsoo.

 

They get to the hotel and both of them goes to their respective rooms to take a rest. 

 

*   *   *

The second and third day of filming, everything went smoothly although there were some awkward moments in the previous scenes because none of them have any idea what to talk about. Thanks to Kyungsoo’s prior research about Paris, it became informative and interesting. The PDs, in spite of the dull moments, praised their chemistry on cam. The two idols fully understand each other even when they just become more than acquaintances. Despite the on-cam chemistry, the differences between them are apparent. Kyungsoo likes to stay still and fully contented with just sitting in the corner and observing people, while Jongin can’t seem to be in one position, he has to be moving all the time, and loves to watch people and comment on them.

 

“Hyung, look at that guy” Jongin pokes the other, “look at what he’s wearing. Hyung you’re not even looking, look at him!”

 

Kyungsoo looks at the guy with disinterest “ok, what about him?”

 

“Nothing. He just looks funny” Jongin laughing by himself, hits Kyungsoo’s arm.

 

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes and looks away from Jongin, still laughing. Another instance of their apparent difference is their sleeping habit. Jongin can sleep practically anywhere, sitting down in a moving car, in a comfortable couch, in a very uncomfortable stool. This guy seems to master the art of sleeping by now. Contrastingly, Kyungsoo is a light sleeper, he’s sensitive to noise and bright light whenever he’s asleep, so earplugs and eye mask are must-haves during travelling. Kyungsoo also realized that Jongin, once he becomes comfortable around you, tends to be mischievous and playful. Every time they are on the streets of Paris, he would always get a second-hand embarrassment by Jongin’s antics or by him just being plain dumb. This would usually annoy the hell out of Kyungsoo but, for some reason, he finds it tolerable (compared to Tao’s immaturity). 

 

*   *   *

The filming ended on the fourth day and the same day they leave for Seoul. 

 

“Aww, too bad we’re leaving. I had fun more than I expected.” Kyungsoo says in pity as he pulls his luggage to the lobby of the hotel.

 

“I know but do you know what did I enjoyed the most?” Jongin, who’s more relaxed with talking to Kyungsoo than he was a week ago, asked him. 

 

Kyungsoo looks at him waiting for the answer. “That I overcame my fear of talking to you.” Kyungsoo grins. Jongin smiles back and looks at his lips.

 

“Jongin, just forget about it okay?” Kyungsoo pats Jongin’s shoulder reassuringly as they enter the van.

 

As expected, throughout the ride to the airport, everyone’s asleep in the van. The head PD wakes everyone up when they arrive the airport. They go through the same departure procedure and board the plane.

 

As Jongin settles down in his seat in the plane beside Kyungsoo, he turn to the other guy and whispered “do you know when you smile, your lips form the shape of a heart?”

Jongin, without waiting for Kyungsoo’s reaction, falls asleep right away.


yay finally i really wanted to update this before i get super super busy :< finally kaisoo are in better terms now! im sorry if you're disappointed that there's not much action in Paris. that trip is kinda like bridge to the next level of their relationship but but but its getting there. i'm really surprised and glad that i'm getting views/subscriptions in this fic (and the two upvotes thanks so much, shoutout to those two, woot! woot!). i wasnt expecting that hehe. 

and as always, please subscribe if you enjoy this, and comment for any feedback/comments. thanks <3

ps. i also have tumblr, feel free to follow me! it's oshxkai :)