A Question of Sanity

Shadow Boy

“It’s okay, you can come out.”

Kyungsoo was used to the boy being shy, but he didn’t usually have to coax him this much.

“Kyungsoo, who are you talking to? There’s no one there, let’s just leave…”

Admittedly, even Kyungsoo was having difficulty seeing the shadow boy, except for the glint in his eyes that Kyungsoo could always find in the dark. He wasn’t so easily deterred though. “Look, I know it’s dark, but if you look, he’s in there. He’s probably just scared because he doesn’t know who you are,” Kyungsoo mumbled. He reached out his hand into the shadows cautiously. “Come here,” he said to the other gently. “My friend Sehun wants to meet you.”

“I definitely didn’t agree to this,” Sehun muttered in rebuttal from where he was standing a few feet away, looking uncomfortable and unwilling to be there.

“Don’t be mean,” Kyungsoo chastised. He took hold of his wrist and pulled Sehun closer. Then to the boy hiding, “This is Sehun. He won’t hurt you.”

The other boy had taken a tiny step towards them, but once Kyungsoo pulled Sehun over, he’d retreated again. The two dots of light moved, and Kyungsoo knew he was shaking his head.

“You’re seriously freaking me out,” Sehun told him. “Let’s go, okay? This is insane.” But Kyungsoo didn’t want to leave, so Sehun said goodbye and left him alone – with the boy in the shadows.

When Sehun was gone, the boy timidly pressed forward until his face was fairly visible to Kyungsoo, and Kyungsoo frowned at him.

“Why wouldn’t you come out before?” he asked grumpily.

“What – was that?” was all the other replied.

“What was what?”

“What… was wi-th you?”

Kyungsoo’s frown deepened. “You mean Sehun? He’s my friend.”

The other’s features scrunched this time. “Not – like… you.”

Sehun wasn’t like him? “How so?”

“Not human…”

“What? Of course he’s human! Don’t be crazy.”

The boy just shook his head, and then he was consumed by the air around him. There was something not human about him. How could he accuse Sehun like that?

Then again, maybe Kyungsoo was the crazy one.

 

(A/n: Who's human here?)