Confusion

Shadow Boy

Kyungsoo was lying in bed, trying to fall asleep. He closed his eyes for a while, and when he next opened them, he found himself to be in complete darkness. The bulb in his nightlight must have blown out. A chill ran over him, but he told himself it was nothing to panic about. These things happened. He would just have to get up and replace it.

He slipped out of bed, and his heart stuttered as he saw a glimmer of light in the middle of his room. If his voice hadn’t entirely escaped him, he would have screamed. Someone was standing there, light reflecting off their eyes, the faintest silhouette visible in otherwise pitch black. How had they gotten in here? And how had they been so quiet? Kyungsoo hadn’t heard a peep, and the room had literally been silent.

“What are you doing here?” he shrieked, voice wavering with fear. “Who on earth are you?”

At Kyungsoo’s outburst, the shadows vanished, taking the stranger with them. Had he scared them off? He noticed that his nightlight was working again, and wondered if the thick aura of shadows the stranger had were so strong they had blocked the light out.

He returned back under his sheets, slightly terrified. What had he just met?

It was hard to fall asleep after that, but it was worse waking up in utter darkness again. It – whatever it was – had come back again. Kyungsoo’s eyes squeezed shut in fear, but when he opened his eyes and it was still black, they dared to dart around. This time, he found the stranger to be closer, near the edge of his bed, staring down at him.

Words failed him, but the stranger was the one to fill the silence this time.

“Who – are – you?”

It sounded as though they were talking on the phone with a bad connection. Their voice cracked on each word. Somehow, it only made them scarier.

“Why are you here?” Kyungsoo returned, more feebly than he’d intended. It was good he was lying down, or he might have fainted by now.

He thought his eyes might have been adjusting to the darkness, because he could make out their face a little bit clearer. A strong jaw, straight nose. The eyes were still hidden beyond the dots that glittered in them. But he could make out that the other shook their head slowly.

“Are you going to kill me?” Kyungsoo asked, a tiny bit of his fear waning. The stranger took a long time to answer though, and Kyungsoo’s anxiety rebuilt itself in that time.

“No…” They sounded confused, which Kyungsoo took as a good sign.

“Then why – why are you in my room?”

Their face was becoming brighter, little by little, no longer a totally murky, black blur. Kyungsoo thought it might have been a boy. Also, their features seemed to pull into a frown – at least, that’s what it looked like.

“Your…?”

“Yes. This is my room.” Now Kyungsoo was beginning to feel confused. Where did the person think they were?

They were shaking their head again. “It’s… mine…”

Kyungsoo’s stomach dropped. What did that mean – the room, they thought it was theirs? They couldn’t be serious. Was this a joke? But then… he couldn’t even see anything. Suddenly he wasn’t so sure he was in his room.

The stranger spoke again, asking what they had earlier. “Who – are you?”

“K-Kyungsoo.” And he was about to ask the same when the room became black and then the shadows dissipated, leaving Kyungsoo alone in his room, lit up once more.

 

(A/n: Who's room is it, anyway?)