Sound

Silence and Sound

There are no surprises. Yunho wakes much earlier than his hung over bandmate, and the first thing he does is check Changmin's forehead for a fever, even though it was really Yunho who slept in his clothes. Changmin doesn't have a fever though, and Yunho is relieved for that.

Yunho doesn't really have a ton to do before Changmin wakes, besides making a few phone calls to different people in the company to let them know that Changmin is ill and Yunho is taking care of him, so neither of them will be in the office for practice today. They are of course understanding, much more so than they had been at the beginning of their career, and they even offer to send a manager along to help Changmin if he needs it. Yunho politely refuses. When he finishes the call, Changmin is still sound asleep.

Yunho scans around the room for a little bit. He notices that the dent on the wall from the other day is still there. His eyes then travel to the table, where he had put the music box on that day.

He's a bit surprised that it's still there.

He walks quietly towards it and picks it up.

Changmin hasn't fixed it. It's still bent and dented. Yunho winds the key the tiniest bit to see if it will work. He lets go. He sees a few parts moving in the box, but they're not making any sounds. Yunho isn't sure whether he should just have thrown it away.

He contemplates a little bit, then he puts it down on the table.

He then stretches, deciding that he should make himself useful while he's here.

Yunho has never been much of a cook, but he figures that Changmin would probably appreciate some food when he wakes up in the morning. So he digs through Changmin's fridge for enough ingredients to make an egg broth. He hears it's good for hangovers.

It turns out next to inedible. Cooking has never been Yunho's strong suit.

So Yunho gives up, setting the pot aside, and decides that he would rather order something after Changmin wakes. So he sits on the couch in the living room and reads a few of Changmin's magazines to pass the time.

Close to noon, he can hear Changmin stirring, and then he hears a moan come out of the bedroom. He stands so quickly that he feels lightheaded for a moment, and he very nearly runs to Changmin's side.

Changmin is stirring in his bed, hands rubbing across his face.

"Hey," says Yunho.

Changmin takes a glance up at Yunho, clearly surprised, but then sighs.

"Ugh," groans Changmin. He raises his head a millimeter, and then he winces as he plops his head back down. "My head's going to split open."

"That's what you get for drinking so much," scolds Yunho. Changmin ignores him.

"When did you get here?" drawls Changmin hoarsely.

"Last night," says Yunho, careful to be loud enough.

Changmin frowns. "How did you get in?"

"You asked me that last night," says Yunho. "I used the spare key you gave me."

"Oh," says Changmin. He massages his forehead with those long fingers. "I don't remember much about last night."

"I'm going to get you a glass of water and maybe medicine of some kind for this. Do you have any?" asks Yunho.

Changmin nods, but then squeezes his eyes shut in pain as the motion worsens the pain. "Yeah. There's a syrup drink thing in the bathroom cabinet."

Yunho stands to get the things that he said he would, and he is inwardly surprised that Changmin doesn't seem bothered by his presence. Or maybe he is too hung over to care, and is just glad to have someone take care of him right now. Yunho doesn't think he cares which one it is.

Yunho has never gotten drunk enough to need one of these medicines, so he has to read the label on several bottles before coming up with the right one. He delivers it to Changmin with the glass of water, and helps Changmin sit up so that he can actually drink. Changmin mutters a word of thanks before opening the bottle and downing the entire thing.

"I don't even think this thing works," says Changmin. His throat is still scratchy. "I think it's just sugar water."

Yunho takes the empty bottle from him silently and hands him the glass of water, which Changmin drinks up.

Changmin sighs and leans back against the headboard. A moment later, he turns to Yunho.

"Why are you here?" he asks.

"Just… got worried, because you weren't picking up your phone."

"Oh. Yeah," murmurs Changmin. "Sorry."

"Don't be sorry," says Yunho gently. That's all he ever says to Changmin when he apologizes, no matter what it is that Changmin is apologizing for. He could never, ever find it in him to be mad at Changmin. Ever. Especially not for something like this.

Changmin takes a deep breath.

"I went to the hospital, you know," says Changmin.

Yunho nods. "Yeah?"

"They couldn't figure it out," Changmin says, shaking his head. "They said everything looks okay. They don't understand."

"So they just let you come home?"

Changmin nods and lets out a dry laugh. "What else can they do?"

Yunho isn't happy. Obviously, neither is Changmin.

"They couldn't tell if it's going to stay this way or if it's going to get worse," says Changmin. He pulls his knees into his chest.

"Do you… feel differently?" asks Yunho.

Changmin sighs. "I try not to think so," he says. "But it's hard not to notice it get worse, now that I know."

Changmin takes another sip of his water. Yunho stays quiet and instead, reaches out and runs his hand up and down Changmin's thigh.

Changmin massages his head for a little bit before finally talking to Yunho.

"I still haven't told anyone else, you know," says Changmin with a small chuckle. "Not the company, not Kyuhyun, not family… anyone."

"Why not?" asks Yunho, just a little bit reproachfully. People need to know, and that means Changmin has to tell

"I'm scared," whispers Changmin. He looks into his lap.

"What are you scared about?" asks Yunho gently.

"What?"

Yunho internally kicks himself for not speaking loudly enough. "What are you scared about?" he asks, louder.

Changmin tucks his knees under his chin. "I'm going to be disappointing so many people."

Yunho doesn't expect the words Changmin says to be those.

"W-What?" says Yunho, unable to believe what he's hearing.

Changmin finally turns to look Yunho in the eyes. "The company – I still have so many years to go on this contract, and they're going to be upset at me – and the teachers, who'd just wasted all this time trying to groom me into a musician that I'm never going to be. And then my family, they've believed in me all these years, and – and look at what's happening."

And then he's looking away again to blink away the tears.

Yunho reaches for his hand. "Hey. Don't –"

Changmin shakes his head to cut Yunho off, gripping his hand, and when he next speaks, his voice cracks.

"And more than anything, I'm so sorry, Hyung, that I haven't wanted to talk to you, but it's because every time I see your face I just – feel – so sorry, because I'm – I'm the only one you have left, and I'm leaving you too. I'm so, so, so sorry –"

Yunho feels blood draining from his face, and he feels faint. And he frowns and puts his hands over Changmin's cheeks and forces Changmin to look him in the eyes.

"Shim Changmin. If you tell me that you are sorry one more time, I'm going to be very angry at you," says Yunho seriously, and for the first time, getting upset not for, but at Changmin.

Yunho hates the idea that Changmin has been torturing himself for this. Of everything that Changmin has the right to be upset about, he's upset about this.

"Do you understand me? I don't want you to be upset for me. It is the last thing I want right now."

"But –"

"There are no buts," says Yunho firmly. "All I want out of this is for you to be okay. I want you to be healthy and happy. That is all I want, Changmin. Never forget that."

Changmin sniffles, and Yunho sighs and stands out of frustration.

Changmin looks like he might start sobbing.

"H-Hyung," he whimpers.                                                                                         

Yunho doesn't look back at Changmin, ignoring his soft pleas, and walks out of the room on shaky legs. He has to grab onto the counter with his head down a little bit to try to calm himself down. He then takes a deep breath and turns to the pot of egg broth that he'd made earlier.

Yunho goes through the cabinets until he comes up with a bowl and a spoon, and he ladles some of the broth that is thinner that he would like it to be into the bowl. It's a bit cold now, but it's most likely better than nothing. He carries the bowl into the bedroom again, where Changmin is now sitting up, hugging his fluffy pillow tightly in his arms.

Yunho pulls the pillow out of Changmin's grasp and silently motions for Changmin to scoot over on the bed. Changmin does, and Yunho takes the space.

Yunho puts the bowl in Changmin's hands and wraps his arms around Changmin's shoulders. Changmin doesn't pull away this time.

"Now listen, Changmin," says Yunho, sidling up next to Changmin. "You are allowed to cry about this. You're allowed to kick and scream and cry and drink about the fact that you're losing something so important to you. But you are not allowed to cry a single tear for anyone else but yourself. Do you understand?"

Changmin bites his lip. "We might both lose our careers. And none of that is your fault."

Yunho clenches his teeth for a short while before nodding. "Maybe. But it's not your fault, either. You didn't choose this, Changmin."

He looks up at Changmin.

"It's true that I love being a musician," says Yunho. "I love making music. But it's not what defines me. And I hope it's not what defines me to my loved ones."

"What do you mean?" asks Changmin uncertainly.

Yunho doesn't really know how to explain it.

"Who am I to you?" asks Yunho. Yunho hopes Changmin doesn't say 'a musician', or 'my bandmate'.

And he doesn't. "My other half," he whispers, not really thinking. "You're a friend… a brother that I love very much."

Yunho almost feels tears. "Exactly," says Yunho, barely managing to keep his voice steady. "I would like to be remembered as a good son, a good friend, and a good brother."

He hugs Changmin close to him. Changmin cants into the hug this time, and Yunho squeezes harder.

"I don't know if you would like the same thing as I do. But you are so much more than just someone who makes music to the people who love you. As much as I am your other half, you are my other half. You are your parents' beloved son, and you are always going to be a star and a role model to your fans. You are not disappointing anyone, Changmin."

Changmin smiles, his head dipping down.

Yunho almost cries out of relief and happiness of seeing that. He had missed that crooked smile. Yunho thinks he could stare at that smile forever and be happy with nothing else.

While Changmin has his head down, he sees the broth that he'd been holding in the hand. It's definitely cold now, but Changmin slowly picks up the spoon and stirs it around.

Yunho almost extends a hand to stop Changmin from putting a spoonful of it in his mouth.

Yunho isn't even surprised when Changmin very nearly splutters.

"What did you put in here?" asks Changmin, grimacing.

"Um," says Yunho awkwardly. "Egg. And water…?"

Changmin wrinkles his nose. But he still scoops another spoonful of it into his mouth.

"You don't have to eat it," says Yunho quickly.

"Is there something better to eat?" asks Changmin skeptically.

Yunho makes to stand to reach for the phone in his pocket. "I'll order something for you."

Changmin reaches for Yunho's wrist and holds Yunho still.

"It's okay," he smiles. "This is fine."

He takes another sip of the egg broth, clearly holding in a grimace, and Yunho chuckles.

Changmin thinks of Yunho as much as Yunho thinks of Changmin. And Yunho is forever grateful.

 

 

Most days, Changmin is so depressed that he can't even get out of bed. He refuses to speak to Yunho or even look at him. He doesn't let Yunho even turn the lights on, and wouldn't even let him bring him food.

He has taken the battery from his phone, which has been ringing nonstop since he told the company that he was losing his hearing. Word is obviously getting around now, because Kyuhyun called Changmin to demand if he's okay before Changmin even told him. He's obviously not okay, because he can barely hear Kyuhyun on the phone.

All of the phone calls that would have gone to Changmin go to Yunho instead, because they know he's with him. The calls range from their friends to company representatives, from media to fans who have somehow gotten hold of their numbers. Yunho tries to answer all of them carefully if he does at all, because he doesn't want Changmin to have to worry about things like this. So when he does answer the phone, he declines to comment most of the time.

The only real conversation he has with anyone about anything is with Changmin's family. They tell Yunho that Changmin has asked them specifically not to visit, because he doesn't want to worry them. All Yunho can do is reassure them that he is doing his best to take care of their son, and that he will continue to do so. The way their voices crack as they thank him breaks his heart, but Yunho doesn't cry. He can't, because he needs to be strong for Changmin. He always has been, and he always will be.

But one night, while Yunho isn't sure whether to ask Changmin to get up and eat dinner, Changmin softly calls for Yunho from his bed. Yunho all but runs to him. When he walks into Changmin's room he's surprised to see that Changmin is sitting up.

"Yeah, Changmin."

Changmin is looking into his lap, and not looking at Yunho.

"I want to go to a concert or something," says Changmin quietly.

"Okay," says Yunho, trying to hide how stunned he is.

He is surprised that of all things that Changmin might want to do right now, he wants to go to a concert.

"Or a club, or a bar. I just want to go out where there's music."

Yunho nods, perhaps with a lot more enthusiasm than he intends.

"Okay," Yunho says. "I'll get ready."

"I want to stay out late."

"Sure. Anything you want."

"And I want a drink or two."

Yunho thinks before nodding this time. He forgot to say anything Changmin wants, except what will hurt him.

"All right," decides Yunho finally. "Just two drinks."

As Yunho gets ready, he weighs their options. Obviously they can't just walk into a concert, and a club is more or less out of the question with how famous they are. But a music café, especially at this time of night where few people will be drinking coffee, is quite reasonable in Yunho's mind. And this way, at least, Changmin will be drinking a nice, hot cup of tea instead of soju.

Changmin takes a while to get ready. He looks a lot weaker, and when Changmin stumbles trying to get a pair of sweatpants on, Yunho is scared that Changmin will collapse before he even gets to the café.

"Do you need help?" asks Yunho carefully.

Changmin shakes his head at first, because that's what he does. As much as Yunho was always strong for Changmin, Changmin was always strong for Yunho. Sure, Changmin might order Yunho around jokingly (which honestly never really took because Yunho never minded doing favours for Changmin, joke or not), but when it comes to things that matter, Changmin never asks for help, and would never even accept it.

"Actually…" says Changmin quietly. "Maybe… Maybe I'll take some help getting to the car."

"Sure," says Yunho easily as always, and turns around and kneels on the floor to offer his back to Changmin. Changmin's arms wrap around his shoulders and his chest presses against his back and Yunho is momentarily shocked by how thin he has become.

Yunho stands with Changmin on his back, and is again surprised by how light he is. And that hurts more than Yunho expects.

Yunho isn't doing a very good job for someone who's promised to take care of Changmin.

"I'm sorry," whispers Yunho as Changmin's chin goes to rest on his shoulder.

There's no response from Changmin.

Yunho is sure that Changmin didn't hear that.

It doesn't take much effort on Yunho's part to carry Changmin down to the underground parking lot. It's dark, save for the few dim lights attracting flies and moths. Yunho carries Changmin through the empty parking lot, both of them inevitably praying that they don't run into anyone on their way to Changmin's car, when Changmin suddenly tightens his hold on Yunho.

"Wait."

Yunho stops dead in his tracks.

"What's wrong?"

"I thought I saw someone with a camera," says Changmin slowly.

Yunho frowns. "Where?"

"Over there, between – between that black car and the red one," says Changmin, pointing.

Yunho turns his head to investigate, and as soon as he does, he sees a flash blind his vision for a split second. And before he can fully even orient himself, he hears footsteps, and a dark figure runs in the opposite direction for the exit.

"Did he get a picture?" asks Changmin, clearly panicked. "Did he – just – "

The answer is probably yes. The paparazzi – or, more like stalkers – have been on them just as much as sasaeng fans if not worse. They have a false sense of entitlement. As bad as they are, at least sasaengs know that what they're doing is wrong deep down; the paparazzi believe with their entire being that what they do is appropriate and completely within reason. And with what they've managed to get pictures of in the past on them and on others, Changmin's panic is completely justified. Yunho is angrier than he maybe should be at the sight. He hates that the picture will probably show up in the entertainment section of some newspaper, and he hates that they think what Changmin's going through right now is entertainment.

This is not entertainment.

Yunho has to bite his lip in order not to start shaking with anger. He counts in his head as much as he can, and then he hoists Changmin up higher before continuing to walk to Changmin's car silently. Yunho puts Changmin down when they reach Changmin's car. Yunho puts Changmin in the passenger seat – Changmin shouldn't drive, not in this state – and gets into the driver's seat himself.

Once they're both in the car, calm enough to take even breaths, Yunho looks at Changmin.

"You okay?" asks Yunho.

Yunho himself is angry; there is no way Changmin could be okay.

But Changmin nods slowly.

"You know," says Changmin thoughtfully, "I'm more okay than you might think."

Those words are all that Yunho needs to hear to feel a thousand times lighter.

Changmin then lets out a deep breath and leans back against the headrest.

Yunho runs his hand over the steering wheel, feeling the soft leather on his palm. He's ready to drive at Changmin's word.

But Changmin doesn't give it.

Instead, he turns to face Yunho. And there's that silly little smile again.

Yunho feels his own lips turning upwards.

"This is nice," muses Changmin.

Yunho is glad.

"Shall we get moving, then?" asks Changmin.

Yunho nods. "Where to?"

Yunho secretly hopes that Changmin would say that he doesn't care, so that Yunho can take him to a café instead of a bar.

Changmin tilts his head to the side. "You know that place by the river?"

Yunho swallows. He thinks he remembers a bar that Changmin enjoyed in particular. "Um… That… that bar?" he asks.

But Changmin shakes his head. "No. I mean that one road with the trees and street lamps. And you can see the river from the curb and the bridge and the lights? The one where all the cars park on the curb?"

"The one you used to take your dates on?"

Changmin shoots him a glare. "That's the one. The same one you recommended after taking your own dates on."

Yunho supposes Changmin has the better of him.

"I thought you wanted to go to a bar."

"I said I wanted to go somewhere with music."

Yunho is confused.

"I don't think there will be any on that road. Unless there happens to be a street musician there."

Changmin raises an eyebrow. "I had no idea that the speakers in the car were broken."

Changmin does have the better of him.

Again.

 

 

They arrive by the river banks in silence.

Yunho parks the car under the starry night sky and reflected lights on the waves of the river.

Changmin hadn't let Yunho turn the music on during the drive here, for whatever reason. And now, as Yunho reaches for the dial to turn the music on, Changmin slaps his hand.

"I said no."

Yunho wants to pout and tell Changmin how hypocritical he's being, but really, Changmin's allowed to do whatever he wants right now. So he pulls his hand back and crosses his arms.

After a while of silence, Changmin lets out a deep breath.

"You know why I wanted to come out today, right?"

Yunho doesn't. Yunho doesn't know why Changmin suddenly wanted to come out today.

Yunho doesn't want to guess and get it wrong, so he shakes his head.

Changmin looks away from Yunho and through the windshield at the bright, silver moon that reflects on Changmin's large, brown eyes. Changmin takes a few tries to speak, and when he does, it's only after he's blinked away the tears.

"So my hearing's getting worse by the day," says Changmin. "And I wanted to listen to music while I could. Because I never will be able to again."

Yunho turns his head to look at him. He's not quite sure what he should say.

"But I guess silence is nice too," says Changmin slowly.

Yunho nods. He guesses Changmin is right.

Sound is nice. But so is silence.

"I was so upset about it that I didn't even want to leave my bed. And I wanted to just waste away… and… and maybe if God were merciful, he would take me to heaven before I lost my hearing completely."

Yunho stares at Changmin, feeling a chill down his spine. That Changmin was thinking this way and Yunho never knew it shakes him.

"Changmin, I told you, there are people who love you, you – "

"I know I have people who love me regardless of whether or not I can hear. And I'm thankful," says Changmin, raising a hand to silence Yunho. "But I don't love myself. I feel like I won't exist. I feel like my soul has been taken from me. I'm – I'm just as useless as a music box that doesn't play music."

Yunho finds himself chewing on the inside of his cheek. He doesn't have anything to say to Changmin because he can't tell Changmin how to feel about himself.

"And now I have to find another purpose in my life," says Changmin, almost annoyed. "Because I don't want to just exist."

Changmin goes silent and Yunho doesn't know what to do for him. Yunho also doesn't know what to do about this pain of his heart being cut out of his chest.

"I am so scared of the day I'm going to wake up and realize that the last time I heard music was the night before," whispers Changmin. "And honestly, I'm not even sure that I want to live in a world without music. I can't think of a single thing worse than losing my hearing."

A tear falls from Changmin's eye. Yunho wants to hug Changmin for being so brave all this time, for holding in the tears for so long. Changmin only speaks after chewing on his lip for a while.

"And if it weren't for you staying around my apartment and bothering me from time to time, I might really have killed myself."

Yunho freezes once more, because the very thought of Changmin not being in the world is unimaginable. Yunho would probably go after Changmin, because he would miss Changmin too much.

"But I couldn't because you were here, and I couldn't leave you alone. Not after everyone else kept leaving you, too," whispers Changmin.

He holds out his hand to grasp onto Yunho's. Yunho takes his hand in his own shaking ones. Yunho feels a tear roll down his own cheek, and Yunho hopes that Changmin didn't see it. Because Jung Yunho doesn't cry, and Jung Yunho needs to pretend to be strong for Changmin, like he always has.

But maybe Changmin knows of his vulnerabilities better than Yunho thinks he does, because it's Changmin who squeezes with his hand.

"I might not be able to help you as a co-worker anymore," says Changmin, "but I promise I'll never leave you to be alone. Because I have just realized… that silence is nice too."

 Yunho doesn't think Changmin realizes that this would be the second time that Changmin saved his life.

 

 

Planning one last album or one last concert before Changmin's departure is impossible; there is too little time, at the rate Changmin's hearing is deteriorating. But a fan meet is not impossible. And Changmin wants to be the first to tell the fans, not newspapers and rumours; so he asks the company to please schedule one as soon as they can.

They both know that this fan meet is probably going to be the last time that they will be on stage together. And probably the last time Changmin will be performing in an official capacity.

So after the company schedules a very short-notice fan meet, they get back to the office to practice.

It's soon evident that Changmin won't be singing. He can't hear enough to sing.

But he can still dance, with just the beats blasting in his in-ears and watching Yunho's shadows to keep the time.

Changmin is disappointed, and for good reason, but he doesn't necessary seem sad, until the dress rehearsal. He thumbs at the microphone, and his stage outfit, and at a pearl red light stick. Yunho approaches him from behind and wraps an arm around his waist.

"You okay?" asks Yunho.

Changmin turns to him. "What?"

Yunho repeats himself, practically shouting now for Changmin to be able to hear him.

Changmin smiles. "I'm perfect."

 

 

The performances go as well as they could have hoped. Changmin doesn't make a single mistake, and Yunho tries to just enjoy this moment.

He tries to enjoy the last moment that he would be standing on stage with his other half.

And to his surprise, he does. He doesn't forget that this is the last. But he still does enjoy the performance. It seems to celebrate Changmin's talent, hard work and dedication more than mark the end of his career.

Changmin seems to feel the same way, because a smile doesn't leave his face, even when they're performing their most charismatic and intense songs.

It isn't until the end of the meet that Changmin shows any kind of sadness at all.

"Thank you so much for your love and support over the years," says Changmin, his eyes glistening with tears again. "I may not be able to hear your cheers anymore, but I promise to carry your beautiful support in my heart forever."

They can't really see the crowd because of the lighting, but Yunho knows by the sounds that they're crying. Changmin probably can't hear them, but he can still feel the hot tears in the room, evidently, because he holds the microphone near his mouth again.

"I have just one favour before I leave," he says. "Please see me off with smiles instead of tears. Be happy forever, because you all deserve it. Now please, smile for me!"

And then Changmin waves his arms and asks the staff to shine the spotlights away from him and at the crowd instead.

Changmin puts his hand over his heart and etches the faces as much as he can into his heart.

The faces that are smiling up at him and his legacy.

 

                                          

Changmin completely loses his hearing in a matter of weeks after that. No matter how loudly Yunho shouts for Changmin, he can't hear.

Yunho would be lying if he said that he wasn't dreading this moment in fear that Changmin would lose himself completely. But Changmin seems at peace.

Changmin goes to sign language school during the day, and then goes into the company to watch Yunho dance in the evening. Then he makes Yunho come to his apartment at night so he can teach Yunho what he learned at sign language school that day.

Changmin learns at lightning speed, being as smart and driven as he is. And with his expressions of exasperation and frustration at Yunho's slower speed of learning, Yunho finds himself equally as motivated to learn sign language.

And one day as Yunho goes into Changmin's apartment to learn for the night, Changmin's sporting a smile brighter than Yunho's seen in a while. Changmin looks genuinely happy with himself as he sits on his bed with the music box in his hands. Yunho's throat almost closes up.

"I got it fixed. I thought the fan would be upset if she knew that it was broken. It's not bent anymore," says Changmin with a genuine smile. "Take a listen."

Changmin winds the key, and when he finishes, he lets go.

It's still silent.

Yunho raises his eyebrows. Yunho isn't sure who it was that Changmin took to get it fixed, but he is almost angry at the fact that he cheated Changmin using the fact that he is deaf.

"Still nice, isn't it?" asks Changmin in what seems like awe, looking inside the box to watch the parts move.

And Yunho finds that it is still nice. Changmin's smile is still nice as Changmin watches instead of hears.

It's just as nice as when it used to make music.

So Yunho nods.

It's beautiful, signs Yunho.

Changmin beams.

 

 

The music box stays on Changmin's table, and Yunho sometimes catches Changmin winding it up and looking inside at the moving parts, and looking so happy with himself.

Changmin hasn't found something stable to do yet, but he is working. Volunteering, more like. And Yunho thinks Changmin is going to end up doing this as a job eventually. He never expected Changmin to bounce back so quickly, but miraculously, he has.

Changmin is so incredibly strong and determined. He always has been.

And today, Yunho looks on from the doorway silently and discreetly as Changmin works.

There is a young girl in the white hospital bed next to where Changmin is sitting. Her pillow is soaked with tears, and she's barely able to control her tears.

These are not happy tears like Yunho and Changmin are used to when they meet young girls her age.

These are sad tears. These are defeated tears.

I heard you're having a hard time, writes Changmin.

The girl nods silently.

I used to be a musician, writes Changmin.

The girl nods, wiping tears from her eyes. "I used to be a fan."

Will you write that for me? I can't hear you either, writes Changmin, even though Yunho knows he knows how to read lip enough by now to be able to understand what the girl said. The girl nods and takes the pen from Changmin. She does.

Changmin's features fold into a frown as she finishes writing.

Used to? Demands Changmin.

When I could hear you, writes the girl, looking a bit guilty.

Yunho bites his bottom lip between his teeth. He isn't sure who he feels more heartbroken for.

Changmin makes a face. But do you still like me?

"Yes," she says, her own cracking a little. "I still like you."

Changmin smiles. That means my hearing and my voice didn't define me, writes Changmin. I am more than my hearing. Even though I was a musician in the past.

The girl frowns thoughtfully. Changmin wipes the leftover tears on her face with his fingers.

The girl shies away and finally cracks a tearful smile, but Changmin and Yunho both know now that she's thinking, and she will continue to think. Changmin flips the page on the notebook and writes again.

You liked my face, too, let's face it.

The girl is laughing now, and Yunho rolls his eyes.

Changmin and the girl talk (write) a little more with each other before Changmin pats her head and stands to leave. The girl opens her arms for a hug before Changmin leaves, and Changmin gives one to her. And Yunho can tell it's heartfelt.

Changmin is still the same.

Yunho rounds the corner so that Changmin can't see him as he comes out of the room. Changmin gives a little shout of surprise when he finally spots Yunho.

"I didn't know you were here!" he exclaims.

I came to see you, signs Yunho.

"I don't need you," says Changmin.

Yunho pulls a face. Changmin laughs and practically smashes Yunho's face to his chest.

"You know I'm kidding."

Yunho does.

He's so proud of Changmin. So proud of who he's become after everything he's had to go through.

Yunho doesn't think there will ever be another person in his life who will be as inspiring as Changmin has been through the years.

Changmin isn't the type to be sentimental.

But Yunho sometimes is.

I love you always, signs Yunho.

Changmin smiles and blushes a little bit.

"I know," he says. "I love me always too."

Yunho laughs.

He will never be as funny as his bandmate. And with or without hearing, he still makes up for the things that Yunho doesn't have.