Frozen

Melted

It was a cold August evening. The rain had started to pour. Inside an alley there was a fight going on. Who was in the middle of this fight? It was Jeon Jungkook. The tough guys had him all surrounded like lions around their prey. They all took turns to beat the boy. When they were done they all gave each other an amusing chuckle. They gave him one last look of pity and then walked away. The boy did not say anything. He did not move. He stayed there drenched in the continuing shower. He did not cry for the rain drops were his tears. The boy wondered what he had done to be chosen to live this cruel life. He did not want to leave this alley even though he was in so much pain. The pain was not only from his external wounds but from deep inside. His heart ached in pain. For his life had always been miserable. He did not want to go home, for if he went home he would have to face his parents as they fought. His alcoholic father and abusive un-affectionate mother had fought every night. They would throw objects, break everything, and on some occasions the cops would come having heard complaints from the neighbors. Jungkook would stay locked up in his room covering his ears trying to escape from reality. Sometimes he would try to stop their fights, but only be dragged in and wounded. So, he sat there in the rain. He pulled his knees up to his face and sat for what seemed to be hours.

Then he felt the rain drops ceasing to hit his head, but he still heard the rain hitting the streets. He looked up from his knees and he saw a pair of legs standing in front of him. He continued to look upwards to find a beautiful pair of eyes staring down upon him. Her hair seemed so light and delicate like a feather. Her kind eyes reflected his. Her facial features could only be described as angelic. There she still stood. They gazed into each other's eyes for what seemed to be ages. 

Jungkook had only one question. Why was she shielding him from the rain? She did not speak a single word. Then all of a sudden she bent down and held out her hand. The boy had some hesitation, but he took her hand. He stood up. She urged for him to follow her and he did. He did not ask even though he was curious. The pair walked the flooded streets in silence with the exception of the pitter patter of the rain. Soon they had reached the door of a small apartment. She put down the umbrella and opened the door. Inside laid a simplistic yet cozy apartment. She gestured him to enter, he had some doubts, but there was no going back. He closed the door behind him and stood in the doorway looking around. For a second the girl had disappeared, but she quickly appeared again. In her hands she held a towel and a change of clothes. She uttered her first words.

"You can leave your shoes here. The bathroom is down the hall on the left. You can take a shower if you wish. I will treat your wounds when you're done."

She handed him the towel and clothes and walked away towards the kitchen. Jungkook did not question her. He did not want to question her act of generosity. Mostly because he was confused since no one had ever treated him in this way before. He entered the bathroom. He entered the shower. He turned the knob and hot water instantly relieved his sore muscles. He washed his wounds. He winced when she had touched his face and thought it best be to leave it alone. He soon finished. It was his first HOT shower in ages. His father did not have enough to pay for hot water. He put on the clothes that the girl had given him. He exited the bathroom and went towards the girl. She was making food. She turned to notice him. She stopped what she was making and opened up a first aid kit she had out.

"Sit. I'll clean up the scratches on your face."

He did as he was told. Everytime she cleaned a spot he would let out a small squeak. She had finally said her name. It was a beautiful name. Jungkook thought it fit her very well. She had finished cleaning and bandaging his wounds. She went over to the pot on the stove and scooped its contents into a bowl. Jungkook could smell it from his seat. His stomach growled having not have eaten for a few days. The moment she gave him a spoon, he dug in. He scarfed down the soup. He handed her the bowl with eager eyes. She gave a small chuckle and followed through with his request for seconds. This time he slowed down to savour the flavor. Soon he finished and gave her the bowl. He then realized she did not eat.

"Why did you not eat?"He asked the girl.

"I don't have an appetite. Don't mind me when you're the one who is injured."She replied with a simple smile.

Jungkook did not know what else to say. She cleaned up as he watched from his seat. Then she handed him a mug filled with a hot liquid. When he looked inside he saw hot chocolate. He took a sip and his mouth filled with warmth that spread to his feet. The girl saw that he seemed satisfied and got up, disapearing into one of the rooms. She came back in a different set of clothes and a pair of blankets.

"You can sleep here for the night. It is 11 after all. You can explain to your parents later. I'm sure they will understand." She handed him the blankets and directed him towards a couch then started to walk away.

"Go ahead and use the restroom if you need to. If you need anything else I will be in this room."

She was about to leave, but Jungkook was still curious.

"Wait."He said. Then girl turned and waited for his next words.

"Why?" He had inquired.

"Why what?" The girl inquired back.

"Why did you help me? Why did you not leave me on the streets like everyone else? I'm just a stranger."This was a question that lingered his mind ever since he arrived at this apartment.

"Why you ask? I simply thought that if I were you, I would want someone to help me. Besides, you're not stranger. You're in my class, but I guess you never noticed me. Not that I blame you." The girl replied with a kind smile.

"I-uh-uhm-Thank you. Thank you for helping me." Thank you could not even describe how the boy felt at the first act of kindness that had ever happened to him.

"No problem." She gave a bright smile.

"Um how are you going to explain this to your parents?" Jungkook did not want make an intrusion.

"It's fine...They are no longer here." Her smile disapeared.

"I'm sorry I asked..." He now felt guilty for saddening the person who went out of her way to help him. 

"It's ok. Um just get some rest. I'll send you off with some breakfast in the morning." Her face seemed pale all of a sudden.

She then disapeared into her room and the lights were out. Jungkook settled himself into the couch. He did not know what to feel. He had never recieved such kindness from his parents much less a random stranger. Tonight, he felt warmth he had never felt before and was quickly asleep. 

Jungkook felt light shining upon his eyes. He slowly opened them to find that he was not in his room. Then he remembered that he was at her apartment. Suddenly, there was a delicious aroma flying through he air that entered his nose. He turned to the kitchen to see her cooking breakfast like she had promised last night. He got up slowly, but whinced as he started feeling the sore pain pulsing throughout his body. His sides were purple and his arms were covered in scratches. 

"Stay on the couch. It looks like you're in a lot of pain. Just sleep some more and I'll wake you up when I'm done." Jungkook listened and laid back down, but he couldn't fall back asleep. He got up to his feet and headed towards the bathroom to freshen up. He came out to find a nice small breakfast of french toast, bacon, and eggs.

"Go ahead. Dig in. I'll eat in a second." The girl disapeared into her room. Jungkook went towards the food filled counter. He was so amazed. He had never seen something so simple yet eye-catching. He never ate breakfast at home. He sat down and just stared at the glorious food for a minute. He picked up a fork and took a piece of french toast. His mouth burst with a flavor he had never known. He was simply in awe. Soon she came back out in her uniform and joined him at the counter. She started eating. Jungkook's attention soon went to her hair and then her face. She looked over, curious at why he was staring at her. He quickly turned his attention back to his food. The two soon finished and she cleaned up.

"Here is your uniform. I put it in the laundry for you." She handed the neatly folded uniform to the boy.

"Thank-you." He took the clothes and headed towards the bathroom to change. His white shirt was still slightly tinted red from the blood, but it would be ok if he kept his blazer on. He came outside of the bathroom to see her folding the blankets he had used last night. She turned around to see him waiting, patiently. 

"Shall we head to school?"She asked him. He nodded. 

The two walked beside each other on the side walks. There were no words exchanged. What was there to say? She then turned to face him all of a sudden which gave him quite a shock. 

"Should we stop by your place? I would think your parents would be very worried." She said to the boy.

"Oh...right, my parents. I doubt they would be happy to see me." The boy replied. He thought to himself, they would hurt me more the longer I stay away.

"Yeah, I guess we will stop by. My place is coming up." He did not want the girl to see his rundown and unkept apartment, but they continued to walk. 

The two soon reached the apartment. Jungkook hoped his parents were not inside the apartment. Then he heard a crashing noise inside, at least one person was inside. He had no urge to walk toward the dwelling. He never called this rat's den a home, it was never a home to him. Fear crept up his spine as he got closer to the door.

"You should wait out here. No matter what you hear, do not go inside." He said to the girl. The girl did not want to ask why.

"Ok." Was her reply.

Jungkook put his arm forward and reached towards the door. He turned the door slowly in a clock-wise motion. It was not locked, as usual. The boy took a deep breath and pulled. The stench of alcohol and pungent smell of rotten food instantly hit him. One foot went past the door way and the other foot followed. His mom walked out. Her hair was disgusting, her clothes were stained and torn. She had a pungent odor. She seemed like she had been drinking. The woman walked up to the boy with a burning anger in her eyes. Jungkook covered his fearful eyes with his bangs. 

"You devil child." Were the woman's first words to him.

"Where did you go the whole night?! Why did you leave me with that failure?! You failure of a son!" She charged at the boy hitting him with all her strength. He did not fight back. His mother hit his wounds from yesterday and added to his growing pain.

"You should have never been born! Your father and I were fine before you came!" She cried and fell to the floor. Then she saw who was standing in the door way terrified. She got up.

"You spent the night with this tramp?! What did you do now?! Did you do something stupid again?!" She yelled at the top of her lungs. The woman raced towards the girl with a burning anger in her eyes. Jungkook pulled her back.

"No! Stop! She did nothing but help me and shelter me from the rain! Please, stop!" He screamed and begged. The woman stopped struggling.

"Who would want to help you?! You are a pathetic child that doesn't even deserve to live!" All Jungkook could do was hold the crazed woman back. His tears were forming. He did not want the girl to see this.

"Stop it! Please! Don't call your son that. Please, stop..." The girl said to the woman in tears. She felt pain surge through her once she heard the mother's cruel words.

"You stay out of this! You don't know this child! He is worth nothing and never will be anything!" She yelled back at the girl. The woman escaped Jungkook's grasp and charged at the girl. The woman grabbed her hair.

"What did he do with you last night?! Is that why you are trying to protect this devil child?!" The girl tried to get the woman to release her grip on her hair.

"Stop Mom! Please stop!" He managed to grab the woman and throw her towards the floor.

"Leave! Leave for all I care! Go! You were with her last night! Just go! I don't want you here anymore! You were just a bother anyways!"She stayed on floor and threw whatever was near her towards the boy.

"I will leave then!" They boy ran towards his room, grabbed a suitcase, and filled it with what few belongings he had. Then came back out and walked towards the door.

"Don't you come back!" The woman yelled. Jungkook e last time and replied.

"I don't think I will return..." 

He grabbed the girl's wrist and they walked away. He did not even spare a single glance behind him as he left his mother there. He did not say a single word, but his eyes were filled with sadness and pain. They were soon out on the streets again. The two somehow ended up at the alley they were at yesterday. He let the girl hand go and sat on the curb.

"I'm sorry you had to see that...You treated me so well. Leave me here. Leave me where I was supposed to stay yesterday."He sat trying to hold in his tears. The girl remained, she did not budge or hesitate, she stayed with the crying boy. 

"Why are you not leaving?" Asked the distressed boy.

"I will stay with you. I will share your pain. I'm lonely inside as well." She came to her knees and hugged the boy refusing to let go.

"You will just suffer with a stranger."He said to the girl wrapped around him. She shook her head.

"No, you are not a stranger. We will get to know each other. We won't be strangers." She continued to hug the boy, both in tears.

Jungkook finally gained courage and hugged the girl back tightly with tears rolling down his face. The sky shared the two's pain and had started to cry as well. They finally got up, but they did not go to school. 

"Stay with me. Stay in my apartment. I won't let you become abandoned and alone as I have before." She said to him. He agreed. The two started their solemn and silent walk back to the apartment, their apartment. Their home.

"I will be your strength. So will you be mine?" The girl asked.

"Yes, I will." Answered the red-eyed boy. 

The two tear soaked teens walked the flooded streets hand in hand and with smiles on their faces. 

 

 

 

Hello there! Author-nim here! I'm currently writing another fanfic that is ongoing, Find The Real Me. This is just a little experimental one shot im writing. There will be one more chapter that will be put up soon so please be patient. This story line just came to me when I was listening to Melted by AKMU. If you haven't listened to it then go on youtube right now and search it up! XD It's a really good song in my opinion. Anyways, I shall update again soon. See ya next time!