The Inception of Deception

She's Handsome

Lu Han sighs as he leaves the shop. He heads to the supermarket to buy more ingredients for the shop. It’s Lu Hee’s job, but things have been tense ever since the manager dropped by. Lu Han still refuses to be Lu Hee and the younger twin refuses to talk to him until he agrees. But Lu Han really doesn’t want to go on pretending to be his sister. To make up for it, he does all of Lu Hee’s jobs. His twin doesn’t react, still upset.

He walks inside the Park Mart, which is unusually empty. He takes a basket and walks to the milk aisle. He looks for the particular brand of fresh milk that Minseok like and sees it situated on the top shelf. He stands on the tips of his toes, but only the tips of his fingers brush the carton of milk.

He groans. He knows he’s not very tall, but he’s not that short either. He’s taller than most guys—Minseok and Yixing—so he knows that his height isn’t that disgraceful.

“Do you need help?”

“Yes, please.”

The carton of milk is plucked from the topmost shelf and given to him. He turns to the man who helped him to thank him and is surprised when he recognizes him. He knows who the man is despite the obnoxiously large shades obscuring more than half of his face.

“Chanyeol?”

The said man removes his shades and grins. “Hello, Lu Han-ssi.”

“Thanks for helping me,” he deadpans. “But I’m still not going to do it.” He waves and hurries away before the taller man can say anything.

He continues shopping, picking up various ingredients and fruits, and fortunately for him, he doesn’t encounter the tall elf again. Once he’s sure that he has everything he needs, he heads to the counter to check out his items and almost gets a heart attack. The tall elfish creature is there, standing with a stupid grin. “What the heck?”

“It’s my part-time job,” he explains cheerfully. “We actually own this supermarket.” He takes Lu Han’s basket and starts checking out the items with ease. He doesn’t make small talk and only speaks after he’s done checking out everything. “That will be 75, 000 won.”

Lu Han gulps and fishes his wallet out of his pocket. He takes out the few bills inside and counts them. He lacks 10, 000 won. “Can you remove an item worth 10, 000 won?” he mumbles. “I don’t have enough money.”

“Oh, that’s okay!” Chanyeol says lively. He leans in and whispers, “I’ll just pay for it and you can pay me back next time.” He takes the bills from his hands and ignores the smaller boy’s protests.

“I don’t want to be in debt,” he grumbles. But he doesn’t really have a choice. “I’ll pay you back later.”

Chanyeol grins. “That’s good. I’ll stop by your shop later.”

“Why, hello, dear!”

They both turn to the source of voice and see a woman in her mid-fifties walk to them with a cheery grin. Judging by the wide smile, he thinks she’s the mother of Chanyeol.

“Hey, mom!” Chanyeol greets her, a wide grin still plastered on his face.

The mother pays him no heed and hugs Lu Han instead. “I haven’t seen you in a while! And I see you cut your hair! You still look good, of course.” She looks at Chanyeol and says while shooing them out of the store, “Go and accompany this young lady back to the shop. I’ll just man the cashier for you. And don’t forget to bring back some earl grey milk tea.”

“Yes, mom!” Chanyeol answers just before the glass door closes completely. He grins at Lu Han and grabs one of the plastic bags Lu Han is holding. “Well, let’s go, miss.”

Lu Han bows and leaves. He doesn't even complain that Chanyeol carrying one of the bags is a disgrace to his manliness—it's heavy, anyway. He doesn't speak much during the walk back to the shop. Chanyeol, to his surprise, is very quiet. The tall manager seems to be thinking about something deeply.

He figures out what Chanyeol is thinking about when he sees a large supermarket bustling with people. "Hey," he says, "Why was your supermarket empty? I don't usually shop, but back then, whenever I went to your store, it was always bustling with people."

The tall elf suddenly frowns. "Our customers got stolen," he says sadly. "Did you see that supermarket we just walked past? Most of our regular customers transferred to that store."

Lu Han tries to not gasp out loud. "Did something happen?"

"Yeah," he says mournfully. "That supermarket opened up recently. We pretty much have the same products and the prices don't differ, but that market is endorsed by that new girl group, Blue Gale. One of the members is the daughter of the storeowner." His frown deepens. "Naturally, people prefer that over our shop."

Lu Han nods understandingly. He knows how awful it feels to lose customers. A few months ago, their bubble tea shop, BaoMin, almost went down the dumps when the stylish cafe beside theirs opened. But the cafe lacked the polite and gorgeous workers and tasty drinks. They immediately went back to BaoMin and only newcomers went to the cafe. "Why don't you ask help from your company?"

Chanyeol scratches his head. "I'm new to the company. I can't suddenly ask for something like that. Besides, it’s a family business and it’s not affiliated to the company at all.”

Lu Han grows quiet for a moment and says softly, "My twin promised to help you, didn't she?"

The manager doesn't reply and he knows he's right. They don't speak afterwards, not knowing what to say anymore. As they round the corner, they see a black car stop in front of the shop and a young man alights the car. The man is wearing a face mask.

For a minute, Lu Han mistakes the man as his masked man and almost runs to him, but he soon realizes that the man is Sehun. He hisses and hides behind Chanyeol.

"What are you doing?" the tall elf asks, looking at the hiding Lu Han. He averts his gaze to look at where Lu Han is looking. His eyes widen. "Oh, hey. It's Se—aah!"

Lu Han pinches Chanyeol and shushes him. "He's Lu Hee's future bandmate, right?"

"Yeah," Chanyeol answers, confused. "He's the maknae."

"Then he can't see me like this," he says, "if I'm going to pretend to be Lu Hee for awhile." The manager looks at him, surprised but glad. He ignores the look and pulls the taller man to an alleyway. "We'll use the backdoor."

He doesn't inform him that hiding from Sehun is no use because the man has already seen him. He doesn't tell him that the real reason he is avoiding the man is because of the incident that happened a few weeks back.

"Does that mean you're alright with pretending to be Lu Hee?" Chanyeol whispers as they sneak behind in stealth mode.

He doesn't know why they are whispering, but he answers back, "I'm still thinking about it, but I'll give it a chance."

Chanyeol hoots and claps his hands like a seal. "Great!" he says loudly, forgetting that they're trying to go incognito. "Then you can finally find your mom."

"I'm not really keen on finding my mom," he says quietly. He stands up straight, not finding any reason to act like ninjas anymore. Sehun can't see them, unless he can see through walls. Lu Han doesn't dismiss the idea because Sehun's superhuman good looks has to be partnered with some sort of superpower. "I still haven't forgiven her for abandoning us. Dad worked so hard for us, but he eventually died. From heartbreak, I guess."

"I'm sorry—"

"It's not your fault," Lu Han says, voice hard. He hates it when people apologize when it's not even their fault. "But Lu Hee really wants to see her and I don't want her to blame me for the rest of our lives for being selfish. Besides, that woman is still our mom, no matter what she did."

Chanyeol stops walking and he turns back to ask why. He sees him looking at him in awe. "I may have underestimated you," Chanyeol says sincerely. "Lu Han-ssi, you're amazing."

Lu Han rolls his eyes and says, "Stop dilly-dallying. These bags are heavy. Come on." When he turns his back to Chanyeol, he lets a smile play on his lips. It feels good to hear sincere praise once in a while.

They reach the backdoor of the shop, which connects to the living room. He fumbles with the keys and Chanyeol helpfully takes the bags from him. He opens the door and immediately spots Lu Hee lying on the couch and lazing about. A bag of chips lay on the floor.

"Aren't idols supposed to be fit? Why are you eating chips and doing nothing?"

Lu Hee turns her eyes away from the television to glare at him, but she shoots up when she sees Chanyeol. "Manager-nim! What are you doing here?"

"He helped me with the groceries," Lu Han answers, taking the bags from Chanyeol and placing them on the floor. He makes a mental note to tell Yixing about them later after the modern-day Adonis leaves their shop.

"I didn't ask you," she says spitefully while tidying up the room. "You could have used the front door, but no, you had to lead him to a dirty alleyway and use the backdoor."

"One of your bandmates is there," he answers and plops down on the couch. "Sehun. Apparently, he's a regular customer here."

"So you're hiding from him? Why?" Lu Hee asks, trying to sound mean as possible.

The manager stiffens on his spot and stands there awkwardly.

"Scared that he'll kill you after you poured his bubble tea on him?" she spats. Lu Han ignores the fact that Yixing tattled again and told his twin about the legendary bubble tea accident. It's legendary because he poured bubble tea on what the new generation of teenagers calls a legend.

Chanyeol suddenly grins, remembering how annoyed Sehun was the day he came back to the dorm, sticky and smelling like chocolate and tea.

The older twin smiles understandingly. "I know you're angry—"

Lu Hee gasps mockingly. "How did you know?"

"But what you're asking for is unreasonable."

"You're unreasonable."

"It's a stupid idea."

"Are you trying to imply that I'm stupid?"

"But I've decided to spoil you again—"

"If I'm stupid, then so are you. We're twins, you idiot."

"—if you promise to never ask for anything like this ever again."

Lu Hee opens to retort, but her brother's words sink in. "Are you..."

Lu Han nods and smiles gently. Chanyeol looks at them proudly from the sidelines.

The younger twin screams and tackles Lu Han down. "Oppa, thank you. I swear, I'll do my best in America. Thank you, thank you, thank—"

"Don't touch Lu Hee, you malicious and erted bastard!" Minseok screams and enters the room, wielding knives as if they're double blades.

Yixing runs after him, holding a broom and a duster. "Hyung, no! World peace is important!"

Minseok is about to scream a battlecry, but sees the twins and the manager looking at him strangely. "Where's the perpetrator?" he asks.

Lu Han pushes his twin to the side and sits up on the floor. "What are you talking about?"

"We heard Lu Hee's scream, so we rushed here to save her," Yixing supplies. He grins when he sees that Lu Hee is unharmed and is actually looking happy. "But she looks okay."

"I'm better than okay!" she squeals. "Oppa finally—" Her speech is cut off when Lu Han hurriedly places his hand over and pulls her down. He does his best to hide the both of them, grateful that they have petite bodies.

"What happened?" someone, who sounds out of breath, asks.

Lu Hee looks at her brother, confused.

"Sehun," he mouths and his twin nods understandingly. They breathe as quietly as possible and avoid moving.

"Ah, Sehun-ssi." He can see in his mind that Minseok and Yixing are bowing to show respect to their beloved customer.

"Sehun-ah! Hey, it's surprising to see you here."

"Chanyeol hyung, why are you here? But are you—hey, there's something under the table."

The twins hear footsteps walking towards them and Lu Han's hold on Lu Hee tightens. The younger twin looks like she's enjoying their predicament and her brother's discomfort.

"Ah, there was a robber earlier. He ran outside and even brought one of the shop's throw pillows," Chanyeol answers.

Lu Han sees him stand in front of the table and he reminds himself to thank the manager later. Soon enough, they hear the sound of a door banging and Chanyeol shouting, "Hey, Sehun! You can't leave! Hey!"

Chanyeol peeks under the table and says hurriedly, "I'll just catch Sehun. I don't want him to cause trouble. I'll be right back."

Lu Han sighs, relieved that Sehun isn't around anymore. He crawls from under the table and finds his best friend and boss looking at him pointedly. "You're going to have to explain what the hell is going on," Minseok says sternly.

"Don't curse, hyung!" Yixing says cheerfully as he helps Lu Hee stand up.

Lu Han smiles sheepishly and turns to Lu Hee, stepping down and letting her explain. The younger twin grins and claps her hand. "Oppa has finally agreed to take my place while I stay in America."


Sehun steps out of his car and walks inside the shop hurriedly. He pulls down his cap to cover his face. He doesn't want anyone to figure out that he is the Oh Sehun, even if all his fans know that he loves his shop.

He nods at the waiter working at the counter, who grins at him angelically, and heads to the back of the shop, the place reserved for him. He sighs sadly when he doesn't see the apple of his eye and plops down on the couch resignedly.

The boss doesn't come to take his order anymore. He already knows what his order is. He takes out his phone and removes his mask and cap. He poses and takes a selca of himself, intending to post it later on. There are fewer customers lately and he wants to help the shop prosper as much as he can.

A few months ago, the cafe beside BaoMin opened up. The bubble tea shop lost most of its regular customers. He saw how devastated the owner and workers—especially Lu Han—were, so he took a selca and posted it on his Instagram. His fans didn't upset him for when he made Jongdae, one of their managers, check out the shop the next day, it was bustling with people. The next time he came, he saw Lu Han's bright smile again.

Lu Han's smile makes him happy.

He's willing to do anything to make him happy. He smiles to himself and nearly misses the buzzing of his phone. He picks it up with a frown, annoyed that someone is ruining his daydreaming-about-Lu time.

"Hello?" he says, not bothering to hide how displeased he is.

"Sehun, there are reporters around the area. Be careful. There are rumors going around that you're dating someone from Blue Gale. If they find out that you're in a shop that is near the supermarket of one of the members, you're doomed."

He sighs. "Yeah, hyung. I'll be careful. You worry too much."

"Well, it's my job to worry," Jongdae says, "whether you like it or not. Alright, I'll just be around the corner. Call me once you're done."

"Yeah. Thanks, hyung." The moment he presses the end button, he hears a loud scream coming from the back of the shop. He pockets his phone, takes his cap and puts it on, and rushes to where he heard the scream. His heart is pounding loudly and he thinks of the worst-case scenarios. The image of a bloody Lu Han lying on the floor has him running to the back, bumping into tables and chairs.

He arrives at the scene, breathing heavily. He sees something falling, but ignores it. "What happened?"

"Ah, Sehun-ssi," the boss says, surprised. He bows and the other worker bows.

"Sehun-ah! Hey, it's surprising to see you here."

He shifts his attention to their other manager, the newest one. He furrows his eyebrows, confused as to what he's doing there. "Chanyeol hyung, why are you here? But are you"— he stops when he sees a shoe peeking from under the table—"hey, there's something under the table."

He walks forward to check it out, but Chanyeol suspiciously steps in front of it. "Ah, there was a robber earlier. He ran outside and even brought one of the shop's throw pillows," the taller man says.

He looks at Chanyeol, doubting what he said, but he realizes that the robber must have been a stalker. Maybe he wants something that has Lu Han's scent... he doesn't even finish his train of thought and runs out of the room through the backdoor. I don't even have anything of his. You evil stalker. Once I catch you, I won't forgive you.

As he sprints away from the shop, he realizes that he doesn't know how the stalker looks like or where he went. But he still runs, hoping to find a suspicious-looking person holding a pillow. He bumps into someone and fortunately, he doesn't fall down, but his cap does.

"It's Sehun!" he hears someone scream.

He looks around him bewilderedly, stunned at how everyone is starting to crowd him. Girls and women have their phones out and are taking photos excessively.

"Ex-excuse me, I need to find someone," he says and tries to politely shove the people away.

"Oppa, look here!"

"Sehunnie, call me noona!"

"Sehun-ah!"

A microphone is shoved in front of his face and someone asks, "Are you perhaps looking for Jiyoo?"

"Who's Jiyoo?" he asks impatiently and scowls. This isn't part of his plan. "Please excuse me. I have to go."

"No, oppa! Sign this first!"

"Sehun-ah, will you marry me?"

"Sehunnie, noona will take care of you."

He wants to curl into a ball and disappear. He knows that the life of an idol is dangerous, but he thinks that this is a bit too much. They're suffocating him, physically and mentally. Just as he's about to give up, he feels a calloused hand grab his and pull him out of the crowd.

The person pulls him away and forces him to run. He doesn't know how long they've been running, but he's just thankful that's he's finally escaped the crowd. They stop in a dirty alleyway and he breathes a sigh of relief. However, when he realizes that he has no idea where they are, he starts to panic. The person doesn't seem like a serial killer, but that doesn't mean Sehun is safe.

He starts to speak, but closes his mouth when the person removes his cap, shades, and mask. Lu Han.

Lu Han grins at him and he tries not to faint. "We're quits now, right?"

Handsome. He's too handsome. He sends him a smile and hopes that it looks as beautiful as Lu Han's. “Yeah."


"So that's why you screamed?" Minseok says, looking relieved. "I thought there really was a robber."

"Why would he want the throw pillow?" Yixing says with a laugh. "You're really dense, hyung."

The twins and Minseok deadpan while Yixing continues laughing. Is Yixing really an adult? He's so clueless, Lu Han thinks, but looks at his best friend fondly.

"But why did Chanyeol say that?" Minseok asks.

Lu Han tries to answer, but Yixing beats him to it. "To save Lu Han hyung, of course," he says. The twins look at him, astonished that he said the right thing.

"Yixing's right!" Lu Hee chimes.

Minseok gapes as Lu Han pats his best friend's back proudly. "Yixing, you've grown up," he says, immediately forgetting his earlier thought that Yixing is far from being an adult.

Lu Han's phone suddenly blares and he picks it up without checking the caller ID. "Hello?"

"Lu Han-ssi, it's me, Chanyeol. Lu Hee gave me your number before. I tried contacting your sister, but she won't answer. I need your help."

"What's wrong?" he asks. He shrugs his shoulders when he sees the questioning look his sister and friends send him.

"Sehun is missing. I can't find him."

"Is he a baby or something?" He frowns.

"No, but he has a really poor sense of direction. Please help me,” Chanyeol pleads, the desperation obvious in his voice.

He rolls his eyes, but answers, "Fine. We'll help you look for that big baby."

"Thank you so much, Lu Han-ssi. I'm indebted to you."

"Yeah, yeah. I'll call you when I find him." He ends the call and looks at the three, who are looking at him strangely. "What?"

Minseok grins. "Nothing. It just seems out of the ordinary for you to willingly help someone."

"I'm not cold-hearted," he deadpans. He starts explaining the problem and Minseok immediately divides the work.

"Alright. Lu Han and I will search for Lu Han. Yixing will take care of the shop and Lu Hee, you'll stay inside," he says.

"Why do I have to go and look for him?" Lu Han complains, simultaneous with Lu Hee's own complaint. "Why do I have to I have to stay in here?"

"No one can know that you are twins," Minseok explains. "People will immediately see-through your plan if they know. You can reveal the truth about your brother after your debut. But right now, no one else from us can know. Do you understand?"

They both nod. "But what about the customers?" the older twin asks. He's starting to doubt their plan. What if the entertainment sends us to jail?

"Don't worry about them. They've never seen you two together, right? Besides, Lu Han, you will be wearing women's clothing. Trust me. They won't know." Minseok crosses his arms smugly. "Moreover, you’re a caveman. You’ve probably never even used the internet before."

Lu Han glares at his boss, but he doesn't refute the statement. He's not a recluse, but he just doesn't see the appeal of those social-networking sites. “How do you know all this?”

“My dad’s company is under the Kim corporate group,” Minseok says with a grin. “SM Entertainment is also under that group. My uncle, although he retired recently, is the owner of the company.”

The twins’ jaws drop and the boss smiles at them sheepishly.

“Uh, I just want to remind you that Sehun’s still missing,” Yixing intervenes timidly when he realizes that they’ve forgotten. And they say he’s the forgetful one. “And there are customers waiting outside.”

Minseok’s eyes widen and he instructs them to go do their respective jobs. “Lu Han, I’ll look for him downtown!” he says. “Call me when you find him.” He leaves immediately.

Lu Han nods, but before he can go, Lu Hee tells him to wait. She hands him a cap, shades, and a mask. “You’re going to be an idol soon,” she says, grinning. “You have to be as discreet as possible.”

He grins and ruffles her head. “Thanks, dongsaeng.”

He leaves and runs wherever his feet take him. He doesn’t know where to find Sehun and he considers himself lucky when he sees a huge crowd gathering in a corner. He immediately knows that Sehun is there. With great difficulty, he pushes through the crowd and sees Sehun in the maknae, looking like a lost child.

He grabs the bewildered man’s hand and runs away as fast as he can. He was the fastest runner in his old team. He brings Sehun to an alleyway and he sees him panicking. He smirks and reveals himself.

Sehun gapes at him and he grins. “We’re quits now, right?”

He takes out his phone and calls Chanyeol then Minseok to tell them that he found the missing idol.

“Chanyeol hyung asked you to help?” Sehun asks with childlike wonder.

Lu Han almost squeals in delight when he sees Sehun’s expression. He decides that the Sehun in front of him is more attractive than the Sehun he saw in the bubble tea shop. His mind tells him that the vibe Sehun is giving off now is similar to the masked man’s, but he ignores it. “Yeah. He said you have a poor sense of direction.”

Sehun blushes and he looks down.

He’s downright adorable when he lets his guard down, Lu Han thinks with a smile.


Sehun is in heaven. Lu Han looked for him. Lu Han saved him. They had a misunderstanding before, but Lu Han still helped him. He’s very happy. He wants to pinch himself to confirm if it’s not just a dream, but he doesn’t want Lu Han to think that he’s weird.

His phone rings suddenly and he cringes when he realizes it’s Jongdae. “He—“

“Sehun, where are you?”

“I’m fine. I’m—“

“You weren’t kidnapped?”

“No—“

“It’s all over the news! ‘Oh Sehun, kidnapped by a man wearing a cap, shades, and a mask.’ What the hell happened?”

“Oh, so I’m a kidnapper now?”

Sehun jumps when he sees Lu Han standing too close to him and listening to the conversation. The older man grabs the phone from him and starts talking to Jongdae.

“I didn’t kidnap him,” he says indignantly. “I actually saved him from his fans and those reporters. Chanyeol asked for my help.”

Sehun doesn’t hear what Jongdae says, but Lu Han continues speaking, telling the manager about their current location. “Yeah, please come soon. I still need to go somewhere important. No, no. I don’t need a reward. I did it for Chanyeol.”

Sehun’s face falls along with his heart. Does he like Chanyeol hyung? He wants to wallow in self-pity, but Lu Han hands him the phone with a bright smile. He can’t bring himself to smile though, still troubled by his previous thought.

“Hello?” he says quietly.

“Oh Sehun, you’re grounded.”