Friday Night

Between These Idiots

Kyungsoo has a thing for Friday nights. Heck, everyone has a thing for Friday nights.

 

Even the thought of the carelessness on Friday nights itself can send Kyungsoo flying through the clouds to the gates of heaven. He imagines himself hurling lecture notes to a lone corner of his room to leave it pristinely untouched for two whole days, not worrying if his 6 o’clock alarm for the next day is set before he shuts his eyes to sleep, and enjoying every seconds he has to slack around instead of digging through books for answers to the annoying questions that his lecturer loves to ask just for the sake of making himself look smarter (as if it’s not already enough with the repetitive stories he told on how he managed to attain his PhD at a world-renowned overseas university).

 

That was what Kyungsoo have always thought of Friday nights; before he decided to rent a room in this house and live with these people. If previously, he thought he could catapult to the gates of heaven on Friday nights, now, he’s already befriending the devils of hell.

 

“Is that all you can do, Jongin? You are so going to lose!”

 

“Hey Baekhyun, see my slam dunk?”

 

Taking in an exaggerated sigh, Kyungsoo watches the tenants of the house as he’s stuck preparing supper in the kitchen on this Friday night, and makes a mental note that he should seriously consider buying himself a pair of earplugs for an obviously valid reason that follows.

 

“This is my final warning Oh Sehun. Don’t you even think of using a cheat to-,” Jongin eyes widen as his premonition becomes true before he manages to finish his words. “And you did it again. You son of a-”

 

“Woohooooo! Who’s the king, who’s the king?! Oh yeah, it’s Sehun. It’s Sehun!” Sehun springs up from his seat, hands waving in the air, with a plastered victorious (idiotic, according to Jongin) grin on the naturally pale white face – an Oh Sehun does his celebratory dance after winning the computer game battle against Jongin.

 

“King my . You cheated again!” Jongin fumes with anger as he shoots a sharp glare at Sehun. Driven by the undeserved defeat, he furiously grabs the mouse, and the corner of his eyes captures an image of the oblivious dancing and jumping Sehun, providing him a clear path to proceed with his retribution.

 

“I still won. You see, I’m just, unbeatable,” Sehun gloats with his unending awkward celebratory dance in the middle of the living room. As his head makes a left flip, adding unnecessary swag to his already annoying dance, he notices Jongin still perched at the computer with a mouse in his hand and an unsettling, seemingly dark aura surrounding him.

 

“Hey, hey, what are you doing?” Suspicious, Sehun abandons his dance and sprints back to the computer.

 

“Deleting your high scores record, cheater.”

 

“What? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

 

“And I just did. Who’s the king now?” Jongin flashes a grin, his perfectly aligned row of pearly white teeth visible as he begins to move his body in accordance to his own version of celebratory dance.

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head lightly at the sight of the two idiots, a smile naturally forming as he chops the garlic skillfully on the chopping board. As loud as the two may sound, Kyungsoo is sometimes entertained by their idiocy. Maybe he doesn’t really need the earplugs after all?

 

Sehun flings a small cushion seat towards Jongin and grunts as he misses. He picks up another cushion and gives chase to Jongin who’s already running with a wild, hysteric laugh around the living room.

 

“Yah, come back here!”

 

“You mean ‘Your Highness’. I’m the king now!” Jongin sticks out a teasing tongue.

 

Junmyeon’s eyes dart to the two self-claimed, noisy kings running around the living room. He takes half a second to register what’s happening, decides he doesn’t really care, and turns his eyes back to the opened Microsoft Word program on his laptop. Junmyeon stares at the empty white screen, with the short black vertical line on the left end blinking against it as if begging earnestly to be moved to the right with the scale of even one alphabet.

 

“One freaking alphabet,” He mutters through clenched teeth, frustration evident in the creases of his frowned forehead. Junmyeon’s fingers hover over the black keyboard, ready to type in his first word, but as he searches his mind (for what feels like already an hour but has barely been 5 minutes) he fails to even come up with an opening sentence for his assignment and so retracts his hands away.

 

He registers the sudden silence from the two idiots who stopped their childish chase. He is also well-aware of the sound of tip-toed footsteps heading towards him a few minutes after that. And he notes that it doesn’t even take the IQ level of 3 digits to recognize the voice that whispers to his right ear next.

 

“Hey, Junmyeon.” Sehun whispers. Junmyeon should be surprised, but he’s not, because he’s been living for what seems like ages with them and the best course of action to take whenever they come to annoy him is to ignore them. Always.

 

“Hey, Junmyeon.” Jongin tries to fish some attention from Junmyeon with a whisper to his left ear.

 

Again, Junmyeon decides to live the phrase – ignorance is bliss. Sehun and Jongin throw questioning glances at each other behind Junmyeon, and after what seems like an agreement nod from the two of them, they both crawl nearer to Junmyeon.

 

“Hey, Junnnmyeonnn.”

 

“Not now,” Junmyeon raises his hands towards the two subjects of distraction flanking him, putting his palms on their heads and giving a slight push to physically shun them away. “I need to complete my assignment.”

 

Junmyeon notices the departure of the two devastated idiots and breathes a sigh of relief. But throughout the 23 years of life he learned that nothing lasts forever, ever, especially good times. That being irrevocably proven by the sudden hard momentum he feels on the back of his head next, followed by an exclamation of a faint ‘Oh, shoots’ and ‘You threw too high’.

 

“Okay I freaking give up! What do you guys want?” Junmyeon swivels 180 degrees furiously on his chair with a hand rubbing the sore spot; and faces a guilty-looking Baekhyun and Chanyeol. “Oh, sorry, I thought it was Sehun and Jongin.”

 

Baekhyun wears a nervous rectangle smile on his face while Chanyeol scratches his not-so-itchy head in anxiousness.

 

Junmyeon realizes he’s not the one supposed to apologize, “Hey, I take that back. Why aren’t you apologizing? And didn’t I say no to basketball in the house?” Junmyeon takes a good look at the ball that rolls to Baekhyun’s left leg.

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol look at each other, hoping the other would come up with a brilliant answer. None of them are sincerely afraid of Junmyeon, really, but they’re also very certain that they do not want to be kicked out of the house and sleep on the cold streets either.

 

“Sorry.” Baekhyun apologizes, picking up the ball and tucks it neatly between his waist and his elbow. Junmyeon raises his eyebrows, a clear gesture demanding further (and more logical) explanation on why his head was hit by a ball in the middle of the living room.

 

Baekhyun nudges Chanyeol, expecting him to come up with something that will not make them live as cold, street-beggars tonight.

 

Chanyeol bites his lips before he starts reasoning, “Gravity! The gravity at your side is far stronger than other spots in the house, apparently.”

 

Baekhyun stamps his palm hard onto his forehead, and he feels like Chanyeol needs one good smacking on his head too.

 

“That’s it, pack your bags and –”

 

“Hey, Junmyeon.”

 

“WHAT?!” Junmyeon unconsciously turns sensitive at the sound of people calling his name for the fourth time tonight.

 

“Whoa, chill,” A startled Kyungsoo walks towards them with an apron still tied to his chest, and a hand stretched out to calm the house owner. “Sorry. I got fired up because these two,” Junmyeon gestures towards Baekhyun and Chanyeol (who are now not a potential homeless duo, thanks to Kyungsoo), “hit me with the ball again.”

 

“Oh. Ouch. Well, how about you take a look at those two instead?” Kyungsoo motions to the doorstep. Junmyeon, Baekhyun and Chanyeol avert their gazes to the doorstep, finding Jongin and Sehun immensely engaged in what looks like a secretive discussion.

 

“Oh no. Remember the last time they were like that?” Baekhyun puts down his basketball on the floor, arms now both crossed against his chest, trying to analyze the behavior of the two youngest tenants of that house.

 

“Don’t remind me, I still get goose bumps because of that,” Junmyeon shudders at the slightest reminiscence of that daunting past.

 

Jongin and Sehun on the other hand are utterly immersed in their discussion; completely unaware of the four pairs of wary eyes watching them from Junmyeon’s desk.

 

“I think we need to do something. He called someone,” Kyungsoo’s curiousity heightens as he watches Jongin hangs up the phone after making a call. His curiosity gradually turns into a disturbing concern as he further watches Sehun picking up a broom and Jongin taking a flashlight from a nearby drawer.

 

Meanwhile, in a heated conversation between Sehun and Jongin at the doorstep, inaudible to the others, the two of them are contemplating if they should proceed or fall back.

 

“What if, we get into trouble, again?” Jongin fumbles with the flashlight, re-thinking the whole situation.

 

“But what if, we save the day and become…a hero?” Sehun suggests, his eyes glistening with enthusiasm while his hands twirl the broom.

“Hero, that sounds nice.”

 

“And we can prove ourselves to the others who have looked down upon us.”

 

“Okay, I’m in.” Jongin nods in agreement, his eyes now glistening with the same enthusiasm as Sehun’s (or it may just be the effect of the beam from the flashlight that he intentionally directs to his own face).

 

“We are going to be the heroes of the day. Or night. Whatever,” Sehun shakes off the confusion with a shrug. “You called the police, right?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Good, now – hey, hey, what are you doing? We’re about to kick some villains’ butts here.” Sehun scowls as he finds Jongin tapping the screen of his phone, searching for something on Youtube.

 

Two seconds later, Jongin flashes his phone to Sehun. “Found it! We need this.” His phone screen reveals a Youtube page with the video title that reads ‘Mission Impossible Theme Song’, and the sound of the movie’s background music clearly audible to their ears.

 

“Dude, this is awesome.” Sehun, clearly pleased with the choice of music, pats Jongin’s back. “Now, roll out!”

 

With the beats of Mission Impossible theme song, they march to the door. Without bothering to put on their shoes, they throw open the door. Sehun tightens his grasp on the broom, Jongin flicks on his flashlight (with one hand, while the other holds his phone that’s playing the crucial background music) and they storm outside the house, into the dim hallway with unbeatable sense of confidence.

 

“Oh, shoots, they’re moving! Call Kris! And Tao, just in case.” Junmyeon literally jumps out of his chair and runs towards the door, followed by an equally panicked Chanyeol.

 

Kyungsoo hurriedly fishes his phone out of his pocket, “I’ll call Kris.”

 

“I got Tao.” Baekhyun starts to dial a number and brings the phone to his ears, waiting anxiously for the other end of the line to answer.

 

Upon explaining the situation to Kris and Tao on the phone and inquiring their help, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo suddenly register loud shouting and notable grunts coming from outside, making them unconsciously wince. They throw startled glances at each other; hang up the phone, and dash towards the door.

 

“I will paralyze them if they do something stupid again!” Baekhyun swears as he nearly reaches the door.

 

“Sehun, Jongin, just don’t make it as bad as last time, please.” Kyungsoo prays hard, arriving at the door right after Baekhyun.

 

Kyungsoo gives a slight push to Baekhyun and together they step outside barefooted, to behold an incredibly absurd situation before them. As their footsteps freeze in their respective current position, Baekhyun brings a hand to cover his gaped mouth, an automatic expression of shock; while the eyebrows of Kyungsoo comes together as he tries to fathom what his eyes are seeing.

 

“What the-?” Baekhyun stutters.

 

“How did-? What exactly-? Jongin?” Kyungsoo gasps in disbelief.

 

“YAH! OH SEHUN! KIM JONGIN!” And finally, Junmyeon lets out a frustrated shout. Being the position he’s already in at that time, there’s nothing much he can do but shout to vent his wrath.

 

Kyungsoo thinks what he needs now isn’t a pair of earplugs. He’s thinking of buying a gun instead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ae: So, chapter one everyone! I'm kind of used to writing long chapters so I'll apologize if it's too long. But, but, but, don't forget to leave a word for yours truly, me. And subscribe! Hope you enjoyed it! Look forward to the next update! Love you guys *throws hearts over head*