1/1

sunday (i'll love you again)

 

***

The Sunday I’m meeting you on
The Sunday I’ve been waiting for
How we do how we do
How we do

***

 

 

It was Sunday when Jeongguk invited Taehyung into his house, his room for the first time; because Taehyung was 19, Jeongguk was 17, yet they were both in the same sophomore class – the former missed a school year due to an accident, and the latter skipped a grade because he had been in the States until last year – and they were paired for some Physics project thanks to the ever just and fair lottery system.

“I heard how you called Jiminie by his name; I’ll let you know that I’m not that easy. You have to call me hyung, alright? I’m two years older, after all.”

“I’ll call you ahjussi even, if we could just get started.”

 

 

 

 

It was Sunday when Jeongguk found himself cross-legged on Taehyung’s room, flipping a random magazines he snatched from many under Taehyung’s bed while waiting for the said boy to finish showering. They were going to spend the whole day playing the new game just released yesterday; a game they have shared their pittance of allowances for. There was a deal attached; the losing one would have to finish the essay homework due to tomorrow for both of them.

In other words, there was so much at stake.

“I hope you already have the outline in your head; hydropower system is no joke, you know.”

“It’s only 10 in the morning, hyung; it’s not healthy to talk to yourself at this time of the day.”

 

 

 

 

 

It was Sunday when both of them clutched on each other, hiding behind a pole, oblivious to the curious stares of people on the street – of their eccentric disguise of sunglasses and hoodies pulled down their head in the middle of summer. Five metres ahead were their common friend Park Jimin, shuffling shyly next to senior Min Yoongi from basketball club, on their first date.

(“It’s not a date! Yoongi-hyung is just recommending me good stores to buy a ball!” Jimin had claimed indignantly last Friday when they were found eavesdropping, but to hell with that – it was a legit date.)

“God, Yoongi-hyung is so pale I think he’s reflecting the sunlight. I’m going to call him Suga; don’t you think it’s brilliant?”

“I think you mean sugar but yeah, let’s do that to annoy Jimin.”

 

 

 

 

It was Sunday when they went for their first date. It was a standard movie – dinner – walk in the park date but there’s nothing remotely normal about it; not the way they had heated discussion in the midst of an action movie that they has to be hushed down by a couple of popcorn over their heads, nor how ordered all the deserts in the menu (and only deserts) in a 4-star restaurant or neither how they played short hide-and-seek among the big trees in the park (and the bewildered couples on the benches).

Their first kiss at Jeongguk’s gate, though, was as magical as in those clichéd movies.

“Gosh, Jeongguk – I think I really like you, after all.”

“Good, because I probably really like you too, hyung.”

 

 

   

 

 

It was Sunday when Jeongguk pushed Taehyung out of his room, red-rimmed eyes strong and firm. Taehyung glanced worriedly downstairs where Jeongguk’s parents were watching the night news, but it seemed like they hadn’t noticed the slight commotion and Taehyung wanted it to stay that way.

It was his fault, yes, Taehyung knew that. He was way too excited when Hoseok invited him to go fishing at a nearby stream and agreed at once; his promise to help Jeongguk with his art homework – the one Jeongguk needed to make perfect because he aimed for the best art university in the city – slipped from his mind.

Hoseok was sunshine bundled in a form of a third-year, likeable by everyone, but Jeongguk had always disliked how the senior was so touchy-feely (“especially with Tae-hyung” he had whined at Jimin once upon the time) so everything was really not in Taehyung’s favour.

 

“I swear it won’t happen again, Jeongguk!”

“Then why are you even thinking of ‘again’, hyung?”

 

 

 

 

 

It was Sunday when Taehyung stared at Jeongguk’s long eyelashes, lips slightly apart as his chest heaved up and down in a steady rhythm, deep in his slumber. It was then Taehyung realized how lucky he was to have Jeongguk by his side, to have Jeongguk right now next to him, to have Jeongguk forgiving all dumb things he kept on doing again and again, to have Jeongguk giving him as many second chances as he needed every time he messed up.

It was then Taehyung realized he wanted to stay having Jeongguk by his side forever.

 

“I love you.”

 

 

 

 

 

It was Sunday when Jeongguk lies on his bed, counting the seconds in his head and wishing he could skip some numbers because time could not be any slower. His mind went to another loop of ‘Stupid Tae-hyung” because who would think it was a good idea to go camping in a forest so remote that it had no phone coverage at all? Of course, Taehyung and the rest of his stupid Nature Club.

Jeongguk knew Taehyung would only return to more civilised area of South Korea (a.k.a. everywhere else but the stupid forest) in four more hours but he couldn’t help it as he reached for his cellphone and his fingers ran on the virtual keyboard on the touchscreen. 

 

[Hurry up and come home, hyung. I miss you]

 

 

 

 

It was Sunday when both of them stood with small crowd of friends and family in a lavishly decorated hotel ballroom. There were no aisles of guests, no priest waiting at the altar, no Wedding March along the steps but Jimin and Yoongi smiled more radiantly than any of newlyweds.

They looked the happiest Taehyung and Jeongguk had ever seen them in those years they had stuck together.

At one point, Taehyung’s grip on Jeongguk’s hand tightened, and the latter responded with a squeeze.

 

“Someday.”

“Someday.”

 

 

 

 

It was Sunday when they finally had their someday. It was Sunday when they vowed forever with one another, dazzling daybreak as their backdrop, scattering seagulls their witnesses, waves crashing as if applauding. Years ago they would make fun of the tears glistening in their bright eyes but not today.

Today they would do nothing but love.

 

 

 

 

***

And my heart races
I don’t wanna say no more
Feel like I don’t wanna
say no more

***