2/3

The Art of Falling In Love

So this was supposed to be a two-shots, but it has grown.....so I am turning this into three parts instead //shot.

 

-

 

“Teaching” Chanyeol just ends up feeling a lot like their usual hang out sessions, except for Chanyeol’s occasional invading questions about Baekhyun’s love life. They don’t really do anything different; Chanyeol still prefers to stay in on most nights.

Sometimes, though, they hang out with Baekhyun’s friends, all of whom take to Chanyeol like months to a flame. They’vet met up with a few of Chanyeol’s friends as well – there’s the shy Minseok (who is so endearing even Kyungsoo finds it hard to be mean to him) and the ever sassy Sehun; there is also Kris who gives Baekhyun awkward head pats and gummy smiles. Luhan was particularly excited when they merged their friends group together one night.

“Kris is…so hot,” Luhan breathed out. “Thank you, Baekhyun, I love you.”

But still, most nights, it’s just the two of them.

Chanyeol makes it a habit to stop by Baekhyun’s place more often and Baekhyun realizes he doesn’t quite mind. “It’s research, you know more about this romance stuff than I do,” Chanyeol tells him. Baekhyun sometimes skips out on weekend night-outs with his friends to stay in with Chanyeol. It’s more fun to stay in, he thinks. He has never been the type to order take-out and has lazy days on the couch, but it’s not that bad. It’s a nice change from the hectic night out and bumping up against too many strangers.

Chanyeol is strumming his guitar, random chords fill the air when they’ve exhausted all conversational topics at hand. Baekhyun tries to pay attention to the movie playing on the screen but he finds himself glancing in Chanyeol’s direction most of the night.

“Why are you still single?” Chanyeol asks quietly. “Is that by choice?”

Baekhyun chews on his bottom lip, “No.” But he doesn’t elaborate. He doesn’t know where to start and it’s a long story, too heavy for a night of Disney movies and a tummy full of Chow Mein. He tries to leave for the kitchen but Chanyeol grabs his arm, forces him to sit back down.

“You promised,” Chanyeol pouts. “Teach me about love.”

Baekhyun in a breath, “I…”

Truthfully, his experience has always been limited. He has met people easily, and he is sufficiently self-aware enough to know when a lingering touch and a slow smile means just a little something more. No, meeting people has never been an issue – it’s the staying that Baekhyun has always had problems with.

His past “non-relationships” never works out. (“It doesn’t count if you can’t make it work past week one,” Luhan had said when his friend and taken it upon himself to deem Baekhyun “Relationships Disabled.”) So he doesn’t know what he can really offer Chanyeol.

“It’s…I mean I don’t have much firsthand experiences,” Baekhyun sighs, “But I think it’s just when two people fit so right. And they’re so happy. That love works out well, you know? I mean of course it’s not without its’ compromises but,” He pauses, wrings his fingers together, “But it all works out in the end.”

Chanyeol doesn’t say anything for a long time, bottom lip pokes out and brows drawing together in concentration.

“My parents don’t get along,” Chanyeol finally says. “They just sort of yell over each other and fight over the dishes.” Chanyeol grins. “But they’re there when it matters. For me, love is ordinary…day to day. I think that’s why I’m having a hard time, no one wants to hear a song about dishes and spring cleaning.”

Baekhyun chuckles, “No, probably not. There has got to be something more there, something you’re overlooking.”

“Not really. But I think that’s just fine. I think the world’s notion of romance is overrated. I’d rather have day to day.”

Well.

Baekhyun clears his throat as his heart falls. “Well.”

 

.

 

It happens often enough that Baekhyun recognizes the beginnings of the stirrings once they’re there. And oh boy, are they ever there – full force like a runaway freight train. One moment Chanyeol is just his next door neighbor, lounging on his couch and petting away at his puppy. The next moment Baekhyun is calling out to him and Chanyeol looks up, eyes impossibly wide and clear. The sun is hitting the taller male at an odd angle, casting sharp shadows across his face. He looks at all once dangerous and ethereal, and Baekhyun feels his stomach coils at the sight.

“Crap. Crap, crap, crap.” Baekhyun doesn’t even realize he’s speaking aloud, “Not again.”

“What?” Chanyeol immediately jumps to his feet. “What’s wrong?”

“I…”

“Are you okay?”

“I just need a minute,” Baekhyun manages. “I just had an epiphany. Anxiety attack, you know how those goes.”

“Aren’t epiphanies good things?”

“Really, Chanyeol,” somehow Baekhyun still retains his sass in moments like these, “Is now really a good time to question my vocabulary?”

Chanyeol chuckles. “Sorry, just breathe, Baek. It’ll pass.”

 

.

 

Except it doesn’t pass. It somehow snowballs into something so much bigger, until it is all he can think about whenever he happens to be in Chanyeol’s vicinity. But Baekhyun can’t say no whenever Chanyeol texts him a quick: on my way over.

He still greets Chanyeol the same way and he doesn’t think there are any obvious changes. And if he is a little more perceptive to Chanyeol’s quirks, smiles a little wider at the other boy’s jokes or if his touches on Chanyeol’s arm lingers a little longer – well. Well, it’s not like Chanyeol knows anything about romance or feelings of infatuation anyways.

 

.

 

It’s Luhan who speaks up first. “Baekhyun.”

“I know. I know.” Baekhyun cradles his head in the palms of his hands, “I wasn’t supposed to!”

“For what it’s worth, I like Chanyeol,” Luhan says. “I think he will be good for you.”

“Well, with my record, it wouldn’t work out anyways,” Baekhyun says slowly. “I really don’t wanna lose him.”

“You always move too fast,” Luhan states, looking so very serious. “I know you want what your parents have, but most things don’t just happen overnight. You need to take it slow and give people their space. Give them a chance to get to know you, to miss you.”

“Should it be so much work with the right person?”

Luhan smiles wryly, “There is always a lot of work – you just have to decide if the person is worth it.”

 

.

 

Baekhyun doesn’t exactly go for it. Chanyeol isn’t even his type. He doesn’t understand ordinary, doesn’t understand the simple acts of arguing over dishes and nagging each other about cleaning – all of the things Chanyeol grew up on and is so convinced that it’s love. Baekhyun is all about flashes of emotions, so bright it burns the back of his eyelids. With him, it’s about hushed promises and grand gestures, about quick movements and that hurried, desperate love – about quick hand movements under the sheet, bringing each other into completion, chasing and chasing that incredible bliss of being together.

He thinks there is no better way to explain it than to show Chanyeol. So on a bright, sunny day, they take a bus to his childhood home. The house is dark when they arrive and Baekhyun shrugs, taking out his keys, “Figures. I told them I’d be arriving at this time.”

Baekhyun pulls out his phone, “Mom, where are you? Where? With Dad? You’re both hopeless.” He hangs up, rolling his eyes, “They’re on a night trip. They’ll be back in the morning.”

Chanyeol nods, “Do they do this…a lot?”

“Yeah. They’re always taking lovey-dovey trips somewhere together.”

“What about you?”

“Huh? I stay back, I wouldn’t want to go on those mushy trips,” He cringes.

“So, you were alone a lot?”

Baekhyun shrugs, “I had friends, my grandma. Why do you look like that?”

And he can’t quite figure out what Chanyeol’s expression had been, but he thinks it’s something akin to pity.