1/3

French Vanilla

"A scent of perfume

Your breath drawn in so hazy

Where we meet each other

Unexpectedly the sun

Greets the rain as it falls down"

'It seems that the winter has lasted longer than expected.' He thinks to himself, counting his steps and the numerous shoe patterns that surrond his on the ground. The snow seems to fall gently in a dance of ballet, so percise and in complete form. His breath comes out in long puffs of white smoke, blurred and faint. The sky overshadows long strides of contrasting grey while the morning lights have all started to flicker back off. Kyungsoo walks in endless paths alongside the sidewalk, over and over his shoes make a muck of sounds. Crunching and packing in the snow together. He notices a small cafe with dim lights shinning through the white wonderland. With a curious mind for adventure, he makes his destination the cafe. Onwards he trudges through the snow towards a far distance.

Kyungsoo taps the soles of his feet on the edge of the door, making sure to get rid of all the excess snow. The first thing he spots is the welcome sign and door mat that is carved with various threads of gold, silver, and sapphire. It read 'Welcome' with beautiful snowflakes adorned to the edges. Without wasting time he is greeted by someone standing at the back cleaning glasses. Kyungsoo turns his head upwards to the unfamiliar voice. There stood a young man that looked around Kyungsoo's age or even older. He had his hair upwards, slicked back to show off his handsome face. He wore a simple black vest, white dress shirt, black slacks, dress shoes, and a small apron to match. He had a silver watch on one hand and a brown beaded bracelet on the other. With a smile, his cheeks puffed out resembling that of a chipmunk. The young man walked over towards Kyungsoo with a menu in hand, ready to sit him down.

"Hey there! You're pretty early, not even five minutes after I opened the shop. Let me take you to one of the tables I wiped down." He led Kyungsoo to a table near the back, just in front of the piano that stood on a platform. The cafe was styled with a modern touch, the entire place was made of some sort of wood, wooden tables, wooden chairs, even wooden flooring. It had a mixture of colours that all complimented each other, shining maple leaves stuck on the window as decor while snowflakes piled about and created a small wonderland inside the store. Kyungsoo couldn`t help but smile at the small window snowmans that stood proudly waving their stick arms up and down. There was a soothing smell of coffee and pasteries that spread throughout the store, it smelled delicious. The fragrant wasn`t strong at all but left a subtle after taste in Kyungsoo`s mouth. The young man handed him the menu and went back to where he previously stood.

Kyungsoo looked around, flipping through the pages and reading each item thoroughly. After deciding on a white chocolate mocha with a slice of blueberry cheesecake and a coffee cupcake, he called the employee over. The man smiled and walked over. He took Kyungsoo`s order and went to prepare it. He placed a piece of the cheesecake on blue and silver dinerware and the coffee cupcake on a similar smaller plate. Then he went to make the coffee, adding bits of shaved chocolate and freshly brewed coffee together in a ceramic cup with blue tulips surronding the handle. Once he was finished he went over to Kyungsoo and placed all the items down. Kyungsoo noticed the art on the coffee, a simple flower drawn with the froth and cream of the coffee.

"Wow. That`s the first time I`ve ever seen this." Kyungsoo mumbled. The employee laughed and smiled, "It's a hobby of mine. It's called latte art." The man had such a passionate smile and hum that it made Kyungsoo gently smile himself. It was interesting to see what made other people really shine.

"It's really nice. I like it a lot, thank you." The employee blushed and smiled back, bashfully rubbing the back of his neck while waving his hand in front of his face to air out the steam coming from him.

"Oh, well...it's not that impressive...but thank you nontheless." He quirked his head to the side while trying to hide his happiness. Kyungsoo laughed softly and enjoyed the rest of the morning while listening to the wind whisper on the store and the employee humming in the background. He looked to his right, staring gently at the piano with a fond sense of attachment. When the employee noticed, he turned towards it too.

"Do you play piano?" He asked, walking towards Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo quickly turned his head towards him, lowering his eyes and pursing his lips together.

"Um...no...I mean yes...I...use to." Kyungsoo stated through long breaths of air. He stood up to leave after paying his fee. When the bell on the door rung as he rushed to leave he heard subtle words speak out to him. Faint, vague, yet hard to miss.

"By the way," his breathing wouldn't stop, his mind was buzzing and telling him to leave quickly, "my name is Minseok!"

Minseok...Kyungsoo drew in a shallow breath of the cold winter air. The snow continued to fall in spirals.