Jealous?

Breakfast encounters

“Daehyun are you really sure about this?” Youngjae asked for about the fifth time that morning. Both he and Daehyun had their arms full of different foods and snacks that they had started gathering to buy for breakfast.

Youngjae was beginning to feel bad; he had a plan to take advantage of Daehyun offering to buy breakfast as a sort of payback for his week of hell, but after seeing all the food they were beginning to carry around he tried to back out.

As soon as he saw Daehyun, he apologized and said that he had forgotten that he had offered to buy Jong up and Junhong breakfast that morning. Technically it wasn’t a lie-- he really had promised, it was a treat for them studying so hard despite their late dance practices that week. The only thing he left out was that he barely made that promise after Daehyun offered to treat him to breakfast the day before.

“Hm. Youngjae I’m sure stop asking already.” Daehyun had answered turning to him slightly before eyeing a bag of cookies that were next to Youngjae.

He wasn’t really surprised when Daehyun offered to buy all of the food for Youngjae, he had even been planning on it, asking Daehyun to buy a number of different things. What had surprised him was that aside from buying the food for Youngjae and his friends, he was also planning on buying a lot of food for himself.

“Who’s all that food for?” Youngjae had asked when Daehyun started grabbing even more food than what Youngjae had started asking for.

Daehyun had turned to him and answered, blinking as if the answer was obvious.

“For me, of course.”

That was before he turned back and grabbed some fruit continuing on as if it was nothing.

Youngjae had stared at him with his mouth open and eyes wide before following along.

And that was how they ended up with their arms stuffed with enough food to last Youngjae alone a week.

Daehyun was still staring at the cookies trying to figure out how to somehow reach out and grab a bag even with his arms full. Youngjae watched him for a second before snorting and shifting the things in his arms so he could reach out and pull a bag down and onto Daehyun’s pile before turning to get in line to pay.

“Youngjae.”

He stopped mid-step and turned back to Daehyun who was still staring at the cookies. Youngjae looked between the cookies already in Daehyun’s arms and the ones one the shelf. He saw no difference and felt very confused before finally getting it and turning shocked and annoyed at Daehyun.

“Are you serious Daehyun?!? We already have all of this food, you already have a bag of cookies and you seriously want another bag???”

Without even glancing at Youngjae, Daehyun gave a determined nod.

Youngjae narrowed his eyes in annoyance before sighing and reaching out for another bag of cookies.

“How are you even planning on eating so much food Daehyun?”

“Those aren’t for me.”

Youngjae stopped trying to adjust everything to not fall in order to stare at Daehyun surprised.

“Then who’s this bag for?” He hadn’t asked for cookies so he knew it wasn’t him.

“It’s for your friends, I want them to like me.”

Daehyun said it so honestly with only the slightest blush on his cheeks.

Youngjae was also blushing, not sure what to make of the statement. On one hand Daehyun could just mean that since he was still new he wanted to make more friends. But the way he said it made it seem as if it was more than just that. He wanted to ignore the way his heart was beating a little faster in his chest but it was a little difficult to do.

Youngjae didn’t trust himself with words so instead he walked to get in line leaving Daehyun to follow behind as quickly as he could to avoid dropping something along the way.

As they began to set their piles on the counter with the cashier eyeing it all warily, Daehyun seemed to remember something and glanced around looking wildly for something.

“Daehyun what do you want now.”

Youngjae was starting to get a little annoyed, they really couldn’t carry anything else. And they had also already spent ten minutes just gathering all of the food, he was sure that Jong up probably wouldn’t be able to keep Junhong still if he was already getting hungry.

“Youngjae don’t you want cereal?”

Youngjae paused looking at Daehyun not sure why he was asking. “I mean every time I see you, you’re getting cereal and you haven’t really asked for anything for yourself…”

The last part ended hesitantly as Daehyun began to blush again, Youngjae along with him. It was true he hadn’t really asked for anything, he had only grabbed different things saying they were for Jong up or Junhong. But he didn’t really think Daehyun had noticed or would care like he did; it made Youngjae feel odd, a pleasant sort of odd but still odd.

Both stayed quiet as the woman continued to scan everything before asking a little annoyed if they wanted the cereal or not.

Daehyun looked to Youngjae who nodded hesitantly before Daehyun broke into a smile. Youngjae tried not to look at how much food was on the counter or how much the total was. But he couldn’t help the small smile on his lips at how caring Daehyun was being.

It wasn’t until after they had gathered all of the food again that they realized their current dilemma. They had to somehow take the cereal along with them but they had their arms to full to even try. They spent a few seconds staring at the cereal as if the answer to their problem was right there.

Daehyun suddenly seemed to have an idea as he saw a small girl approach the cashier with only one thing in her hands. Youngjae didn’t get why Daehyun was suddenly smiling to himself like a child but he turned anyway trying to see what Daehyun was staring at. When he saw what the older one was staring at, he felt cold and a small twist in his stomach.

~ ~

Junhong and Jong up were talking at their usual table when they saw an annoyed Youngjae walking towards them, arms full of food.

“Hey hyung why all the food? Is it really all for us? I thought you were just going to bring us a little bit-”

Junhong before he could finish as both he and Jong up stared at the smiling Daehyun, arms also full of food, who was following close behind Youngjae. If that wasn’t all, there was a girl quietly following behind carefully holding a bowl of cereal in her small outstretched hands.

The two stared open mouthed as Youngjae dumped the food on the table muttering about stupid, stubborn, manipulative idiots. Jong up quietly stood and took the bowl from the girl’s hands, carefully setting it down in a clear area of the table. He looked back up and offered the girl a generous smile and quiet thanks.

Junhong didn’t miss the blush on the girls cheeks but he had a feeling he was the only one who noticed. Youngjae hyung was much too busy sulking and glaring, Daehyun hyung was busy smiling and watching Youngjae, and Jong up hyung was too busy smiling to even seem to register that the girl was blushing.

The girl finally shook herself out of her thoughts and excused herself, finally gathering Youngjae and Daehyun’s attention. Daehyun quickly thanked her again and offered her a charming smile causing her to blush faintly. This exchange only seemed to make Youngjae scowl and reach for a fruit cup and stab at a grape viciously before stuffing it in his mouth.

Junhong couldn’t help it and broke out laughing at how silly Youngjae was acting. The girl turned even redder, if that was possible, and grabbed a granola bar that had seemed out of place, from the large pile Youngjae and Daehyun had left on the table.

She murmured a few words while stealing glances at Jong up before turning and walking away.

Youngjae somehow caught this movement in between murdering fruit and stuffing his face. As the girl shuffled away, he stood a little straighter, the curiosity showing through the glint in his eyes.

At first he had been annoyed because they didn’t really need the damn cereal but Daehyun was being cute and insistent and Youngjae really hadn’t known how to react. Then Daehyun had asked some random girl to carry the cereal for them; not just that, the girl had actually agreed! Of course he was going to be upset and annoyed, especially since he had to admit that the girl was “cute” he guessed. But it still didn’t give her the right to smile or blush at his Daehyun.

But he knows what he saw, the girl blushed a lot more when it came to Jong up. And he was very curious as to what could happen with that.

He turned to Jong up with one eye brow raised and head turned lightly in the direction of where the girl had wandered off. The younger said nothing, just continued smiling as he always does and shrugged his shoulders.

“Hyung so much food!”

Youngjae turned to Junhong and noticed that the youngest had been looking around the table, eyeing the food as if not sure where to start. He opened his mouth to tell him to thank Daehyun when a chuckle shocked him silent.

Daehyun was chuckling and offering Junhong a small smile in agreement before handing him the cookies from earlier. Youngjae wasn’t sure why it suddenly felt so hard to breathe or swallow but he was pretty sure that Daehyun being so warm towards the youngest was probably a big part of it.

A bottle of orange juice was gently pushed in his direction and Youngjae was suddenly thankful to have such an observant friend as he took a small sip to help his throat. It was starting to feel better and he quickly offered a thankful nod to Jong up who only smiled before opening a yogurt.

“Youngjae.”

He turned his head lightly to the side that Daehyun was whispering from.

“Were you upset about something earlier?”

Youngjae bristled a little at that. Part of it was Daehyun whispering almost into his ear which made him want to shiver. The other part was that he didn’t like where this was going. Truth be told, he had been a little upset but he didn’t want to make Daehyun feel bad after he had bought all the food that morning.

He shook his head just as Himchan arrived at the table eyeing all the food a little warily before turning to Youngjae and Daehyun with a smile on his face. It was only then that Youngjae realized just how close they were and he blushed a little before moving away.

“Good morning everybody I see you all have a lot of food. Hello Daehyun, fancy seeing you here at our table.”

The last part was added almost teasingly and Youngjae tried to keep his head down as if he really needed to inspect each piece of fruit in his cup.

Daehyun looked up at Himchan blinking a few times before offering a wide smile.

“Yeah it’s just I wanted to get to know all of Youngjae’s friends better and hang out with him a bit since we haven’t really had the chance.”

Daehyun finished his sentence calmly and took a bite of his breakfast sandwich. Youngjae wished that he felt as calm as Daehyun had sounded but he couldn’t help the blush on his face since most of what Daehyun said seemed to revolve around him.

Himchan seemed to catch this and had a mischievous twinkle in his eye as he spoke.

“Really well Youngjae don’t you feel special.”

Youngjae began to choke on the orange juice that he was trying to sip before Himchan spoke. Daehyun, wide- eyed and concerned, quickly turned to him and pat his back lightly worried at the younger’s coughing fit. Youngjae nodded and waved Daehyun off so he could compose himself and glare at Himchan who only smiled innocently.

“Hyung, Daehyun hyung bought us all of this food!”

Junhong sounded so happy and Youngjae almost regretted buying him such a sugary drink. Daehyun only smiled and offered the younger half of his breakfast sandwich, which was accepted happily.

“Is that so? Well thank you then for making an attempt to fill the bottomless pits, they call stomachs.”

Youngjae snorted since about half of the food was Daehyun’s alone. But he felt slightly insulted because he didn’t eat that much.

He wasn’t surprised that Daehyun would only laugh before pushing some food before Himchan who glanced at it, before accepting the food.

Youngjae had to admit that he admired Daehyun a bit. If Daehyun just wanted his friends to like him then he proved that it really wasn’t that hard, especially with food. They all seemed to be enjoying it, even Himchan who had complained about how there wasn’t much healthy food on the table. He had still accepted it though and it seemed that he didn’t really mind Daehyun as much as he seemed to before.

They had a small moment of difficulty, when Himchan had reached over to take Youngjae’s cereal, which he hadn’t touched because there were only so many days a week that a person could eat cereal.

Daehyun had looked at him eyes wide and simply stated that it was Youngjae’s which made him blush. He pouted quickly though when Himchan snorted and said that “it wasn’t as if Youngjae was going to eat it.”

He looked so hurt and Youngjae quickly stammered not sure how to handle the situation with Himchan amused that something on the table was claimed and Daehyun looking so offended.

“Hyung it’s just that it’s more milk than cereal and it’s too soggy for Youngjae hyung.”

Jong up offered noticing how Youngjae seemed so flustered.

“Yeah, yesterday I had to go serve him more cereal twice just because he kept having milk left over.”

Junhong added quickly hoping that his new hyung wouldn’t leave and not come back. He really liked this hyung and saw the way he always looked after Youngjae hyung even with all of the girls that were usually around him.

Youngjae gave both boys a grateful look and mouthed a quiet thank you for helping. Himchan watched everything amused but still stuffing his face with the cereal that seemed to cause so much trouble so easily. Daehyun thought for a moment before nodding sadly.

It was only moments later that Yongguk showed up amazed at all the food and patting Daehyun on the back before sitting next to Youngjae and grabbing something to eat as Himchan huffed at him.

“Where have you been lately Yongguk?”

“Well Himchan I’ve been a little busy lately is there a problem with that?”

Youngjae and Jong up watched the two oldest intently as they interacted. Daehyun and Junhong only half watched as they continued stuffing their faces.

“Busy? I’ve just seen you around Jieun.”

The others at the table stiffened except for Yongguk and Daehyun, who didn’t know who she was. He didn’t know how much Himchan disliked Jieun especially around Yongguk.

Yongguk only offered his gummy smile at Himchan who narrowed his eyes at him.

“Jealous Himchan?”

Everybody at the table seemed shocked for a second. Even Daehyun and Junhong seemed to have forgotten about their food, Daehyun finally getting an idea of the problem. Youngjae and Jong up both surprised with Jong up ready to hold Himchan back if necessary. Himchan stared wide eyed before quickly pulling himself together and laughing lightly.

“You have to be kidding me. Why would I be jealous of her?”

Yongguk’s gummy smile only grew to the annoyance of Himchan before he gave a deep chuckle and shrugged his shoulder.

“Ok Himchan. Well I need to borrow Daehyun for a moment so if you’ll all excuse us.”

All eyes turned to Daehyun who blinked before standing up, a hand on Youngjae’s shoulder as a sort of leverage. Youngjae wasn’t sure if he imagined the light squeeze on his shoulder or the rush of electricity emanating from the touch.

Daehyun smiled at everybody before excusing Himself and Yongguk with promises of seeing everybody later. Youngjae could only look as the two walked out of the cafeteria before turning back to the other’s. Junhong moved to his side as Jong up tugged on Himchan’s arms lightly to get his attention.

Youngjae couldn’t help but to think that Yongguk had a point about Himchan being a little jealous. But he quickly realized that the word also applied to himself when Daehyun was smiling at a girl or being surrounded by them. The second he realized this, he began to feel a little queasy at the thought that he was jealous of anybody because that could only mean that he really wanted something with Daehyun.

“Hm.”

Himchan finally made a sound as he glanced around the table, head resting on his hand.

“What is it hyumg.”

Junhong voiced all of their concern because when Himchan had that look in his eyes it was never good.

“Well you see, Yongguk made me feel a little uncomfortable so I was wondering if you could all do something to help cheer me up this weekend.”

Youngjae gulped but being the oldest of the three he figured he had to be the one to answer.

“We’d love to but it depends on what it is hyung.”

Himchan sometimes had crazy ideas. Sometimes Himchan wanted to go on shopping sprees or try make up on them. Jong up sometimes let him but even right now he seemed worried.

“Oh it’s nothing much. I just want you all to go with me to the hair salon tomorrow.”

The three looked at each other because even though it sounded simple, they knew that it couldn’t be that easy.

“Ok hyung we’ll go with you.”

Youngjae answered a little hesitant with Junhong and Jong up nodding slightly, worried looks on their faces. Himchan clapped his hands at their answer.

“Perfect. I can’t wait for tomorrow.”

Youngjae could wait because really he felt terrified for what tomorrow could bring.

 

 

~A/N~

First of all my sincerest apologies that this time it actually did take me two weeks to update, I have been a little busy with family things and just not being able to concentrate even though I did the last three pages today because I wanted to update to you all quickly. I hope to not take this long to update again but I apologize if I do.

I hope this chapter is better than how I'm feeling right now with it being almost 1am and not having been sleeping lately.

If the seating arrangement is confusing then I will try to clarify it right now. On one side it ends up being Daehyun, Youngjae in the middle, then Youngguk.The other is Junhong, Jong up in the middle and then Himchan.

Also I believe this is the longest chapter I've written so far I hope you all enjoy it and to make up for it being so late I might put up a bonus sometime this weekish?

Thank you all again so much and again sorry :/