Chapter 3: Hidden

Wolf

I heard some ruffling behind me and then a loud crashing sound. Was this it? Was it tearing me into pieces again? I opened my eyes to see two giant wolves fighting in front of me. They were tearing at each other’s flesh. I took this as a signal to escape. I tried my hardest and I was able to free myself from the trap.

Just then I heard gun shots from the distance. The rangers! I hurried to where they were, but I couldn’t find them. I kept running trying to find the rangers. I was scared, because I knew that if I rested for even just a minute the wolves would find me. Maybe Kai was right, may he just wanted to eat me!

I ran as fast as I can, hearing both the howling and gunshots nearby. What was I to do? How was I going to escape this mess? I hurried along, but to my dismay it started to get darker and darker. I knew I was deep in the forest right now. I could barely see where I was going. I didn’t even know if I was still being followed. The pain in my leg started to come back.

I decided to stop so that I could figure out where I was. Everything was silent; I could even hear my own breath. Just then I heard ruffling in the bushes! Could it be a wolf!

It was Joon. He had a gun pointed to me. When he saw that it was me he lowered it, “What are you doing here? What’s wrong with your leg? Wait! . . . Was it you that’s been messing with the traps? I can’t believe you!” I started to walk towards him, “What do you mean? I was looking for berries and I was startled. When I started to run my leg got caught on one of your traps!”

Joon looked at me suspiciously, “Maybe. . .  Just maybe you’ve been hiding a wolf. I always wondered what happened to that nosey Kai. Where is he huh?” Sweat started to build up on my forehead. Could I tell him? No! What was I thinking!

Joon seemed to be getting impatient, “Well! Answer me!” after he said that he raised his gun, this time he was actually aiming for me! I was startled and I started to walk backwards. He followed me and soon I was at a dead end.

“Wha-wha… do you want?” Joon started to smirk, “Tell me the truth, either you’re the wolf or he is. I mean why would you go and destroy the traps?” I looked at him with fear in my eyes, “I think it’s wrong to hurt them, even if they are wolves. You are also hurting the animals used in the traps. I never seen a wolf in my life, but I know it’s wrong to kill them that way and I-” I was cut off by Joon, because he now had his finger on the trigger. I brought the gun closer to my chest.

I have never been scared in my life, but the look Joon had given me made my knees weak. I soon found myself kneeling on the ground; Joon had the gun pointed on my head. I could feel the tip of the gun brush against me hair. Joon smirked again, “If you would only have given yourself to me, this would not have happened. I’ll just have to tell the village that you were-” Joon was silenced by the sound of footsteps in a distance.

They grew louder and louder. Soon a figure could be seen approaching, “What the heck is going on here!” It was the head of the rangers, Lee Woon. Joon quickly lowered his gun, “I was only playing! There’s nothing-” Joon was cut off again by the appearance of Kai! Kai! What was he doing! Was he back!

Kai walked over to me and helped me up, “I’ll take her back, good thing I was looking for berries today or else we would have had a murder!”

.

.

.

(A Few Minutes Later)

A few minutes later and we arrived at my house. We were quiet the whole time. It was awkward. What was I to say? I still had pain in my legs and Kai seemed to notice. He helped me climb the stairs and once he saw that I was in bed he started to leave, but I stopped him.

I asked, “Why did you just disappear?” He looked back at me, but he somehow looked different. He looked worried. He said, “you know wolves live in packs right? I have a family too even though I stay by myself most of the time. The wolf that attacked you, well she’s my fiancée. We were set to be married since birth. It’s a wolf thing, you won’t understand.” With that he left.

I was heart-broken. I didn’t want to believe him. Fiancée?

.

.

.

(Days later)

Days passed, but there still was no sign of Kai or his fiancée. I still couldn’t believe a wolf could have a fiancée. Was that even possible? I still didn’t know why my heart hurt so badly. I mean I was afraid of Kai, but something just made me feel miserable. I heard Yoon Soo knock on my door, “Hey sweetie, if you’re too busy do you mind if I ask you for some help?” I nodded to Yoon Soo and headed out the door.

It had gotten darker today and a lot colder. Yoon Soo opened the front door and a gust of cold air blew passed me. I started to shiver, but I continued to follow Yoon Soo out the door. She was heading toward an old shed that was close to the forest. She opened the door and turned to me, “Sweetie, I was wondering if you could clean the shed for me tonight. You see, one of my old friends… um…well…he….uh…” I started to giggle, “Is he your crush?” I saw Yoon Soo’s face turn red and she nodded. I decided to help her clean the shed and soon I was left alone.

I finished cleaning the shed faster than usual. So I decided to look out the window. The dark forest looked beautiful tonight. The moonlight made it seemed like an enchanting forest. Soon my eyes felt heavy and I drifted to sleep.

.

.

.

I was awakened to someone poking me by my side. I turned to see an old man with a walking stick. He smiled back at me and said, “Why hello there young lady.” I quickly got off the chair and greeted the man; he was probably Yoon Soo’s crush!

Soon Yoon Soo entered the shed with juice. She handed me and the old man some and said, “Ahh, this is Kwang. He usually visits and stays here at the shed after the full moon to study wolves and their reactions to the different phases of the moon.” Soon I realized that Yoon Soo was talking more to Kwang than me so I decided to excuse myself and head out the door.

It was still dark out. I went into the house and found that it was barely 10 P.M. It was still early and I knew that Yoon Soo wasn’t going to come home soon so I decided to walk around the village.

.

.

.

I finally made it to the coffee shop owned by the village baker. It was no Starbucks, but the coffee and pastries were amazing. I found a table by the entrance and sat down. Soon I heard a someone pull a chair up in front of me followed by a few more. It was Joon and some other young rangers!

Joon started to smirk, “Hey Babe, where’s that good for nothing Kai of yours? Oh no! Don’t tell me he left you already?” the other rangers started to laugh. I got irritated and left the coffee shop. Joon and the rangers were still following me so I decided to quicken my pace. To my horror they did too.

I started to run and soon I found myself heading towards the dark forest. I didn’t care and I still ran through the forest. It was darker than before and the twigs and rocks were scraping my legs and I soon found that my shoes were lost in the madness. Soon I found that I was at a dead end! I tried to take a step back, but someone grabbed me and pushed me to the floor. I heard laughing all around me. Someone grabbed my arms and tied them to my back. Another gagged me, while another pushed me against a tree. Another tied my body to the tree and soon I found that I could not move. Someone created a fire and soon I saw who had done this to me. It was Joon and the other rangers! Joon smirked and came near me, “Since you did not sleep with me or take my apology I decided to take revenge on you with my pals here.” The men started to laugh.

Joon continued, “You see, I’m not like the other rangers. I’m not against killing a damsel if I don’t get what I want. You humiliated me in front of the head ranger and for that you must pay!”

As soon as he said that he pulled out a knife. He placed the knife and leaned closer to my face and said, “Scream if you want, but no one will here you Baby. This place is so hidden and said to be haunted that not even the wolves come here.” He placed the knife at my throat and started to touch me in inappropriate places. Tears started to drop on my cheeks. I started to squirm because it was very uncomfortable. All I could see through my tear stricken eyes was the smirk on Joon’s face, “ok now I think I had my fun. Boys I was going to let you do the same, but I have a better game in mind. How about we practice our knife throwing huh? Let me demonstrate after I teach this little damsel a thing or two.” With saying that he grabbed the knife and held it in front of my shoulder and he slashed me with the knife. The pain was unbearable, but I had to bear it. I couldn’t let them feel the satisfaction.

Joon then handed some knives to the other men. They aimed at me and to my horror I realized what they were going to do. They threw their knives at me and I felt the pain as some hit me. I looked up and saw that they were about to pick up the knives that fell on the floor, but they stopped! There was a shuffling in the bushes and I could make out a faint growl. If got louder and louder. The man looked hesitant and ran out. Joon followed them too.

Soon it was quiet again. I could feel myself losing consciousness. Soon I heard footsteps approaching and I felt the bonds on me loosen. I felt something warm. . .

.

.

.

(A Day Later)

I felt something warm underneath me, it felt like fur. “Dumb human, how come you always get hurt?” I sat up to see who said something when I saw Kai! I tried to get up, but there was a pain in my ankle and I started to fall back down, but Kai grabbed me and helped me back in bed. He looked worried, “I’m sorry I couldn’t fix your ankle. I’m not as strong as I was before. How are you feeling?”

I tried to sit up and said, “How did I get here? Wha-” Kai quickly said, “I scared them off, sometimes I wonder if we’re the real animals or if you humans are. How could they do such horrible things to their own kind? I saw what they did to you before they tried to kill you.” I looked down and tears started to fall. Kai climbed on bed and tried to dry my tears. I pushed his hand away. He said, “listen, it’s not the end of the world. Don’t cry, Joon is a jerk. You’re not the only one he did this too. He did this to another girl long ago and he killed her in the woods and blamed the wolves. He always does things like that.”

I looked up at Kai and then I looked at myself. To my shock I wasn’t wearing what I wore before!”

 

.

.

.

《To be continued. ..》