Chapter 2: Trapped

Wolf

“Wha-what are you doing K-Kai?” I started to mumble. He just chuckled and said, “You know, you smell very good right now. You’re not just skin and bones like the ones before. You have some meat on you.” He grabbed my leg and it, to my surprise I kicked him and he stumbled forward. He was still laughing.

“I was only joking!” with saying that he fell over laughing. I got irritated and grabbed the nearest thing. I threw it at him, to my surprise it was a rock. It hit his head with a loud bang and I saw that he started to bleed. I quickly ran up to him, “I’m so so sorry! I didn’t- I mean… it’s your fault!” I tried to blow on the wound, but I was too weak.

Kai grabbed my hand, “you are a very foolish human! Do you honestly think that a mere rock could hurt me? Come on, even the village idiot knows that a wolf can’t get hurt by a small rock!” I was getting scared because the thought of being next to a creature like him at my weak state was the dumbest thing ever! He grabbed my attention again, “See! Look at my forehead again, see, it’s all healed. Unlike you humans that take days to heal, wolves take only seconds depending on the wound. That’s why I’m fine right now. It only took an hour for the stab wound to heal. Even though I would have liked to eat you, you saved my life so I should repay you! I’ll take you home and we can call it even! Just don’t come back to the forest again, because I can’t promise you that I won’t eat you! I mean come on! Have you ever heard of a predator saving its prey?”

Kai grabbed my hand and stood me up, I started to tumble again but Kai held me by my waist. Just then I noticed that he also grabbed most of the skirt part of the dress. I started to blush but then Kai said, “Dumb human, you have such dirty thoughts! I see you as food remember?” My ears were turning red from embarrassment, why did I blush!?

It took about half an hour to get to the old woman’s house. When we reached the front door Joon and the old woman were talking to each other.  When they noticed our presence they turned and froze. Joon probably thought I was dead and he probably wished I was after what happened that night. They ran toward us, but I felt Kai’s grip tighten around me. Could he read my mind? Joon approached us first. He turned to Kai and said, “Who are you? What have you done to her?” Before Kai could speak I said, “He’s my friend from back home. He was in the forest exploring… when…wh…” I started to get dizzy again, but Kai helped me stay standing. But I couldn’t take it anymore; the throbbing pain in my head was getting worse. Kai seemed to know that I was in pain, he said, “she’s really weak right now. She’s injured and hungry after some guy tried to her. I think it’s best if we let her rest and eat before you start interrogating me.”

I looked at Joon and he had a shocked expression on his face. I saw the old woman look at Joon and then she slapped him! She turned to Kai and said, “Please take her into her room and I’ll be up with some food momentarily.”

I still couldn’t move and I heard Kai groan because he was annoyed. He decided to pick me up bridal style and took me to my room. I was surprised that he knew where it was because I didn’t even have the strength to tell him. He threw me onto bed and I looked back at him in shock and pain. He looked annoyed and said, “I’m your friend from back home? Couldn’t you come up with a better excuse than that? I guess I have to stay here for a while now!” I tried to get into a sitting position on my bed and said, “well what else would I say? That you’re a wolf? If I said that Joon and his men would have killed you that instant! But I have a question… Um… How did you know he… um…-” He cut me off, “that he tried to you? I have good sense. I can smell almost anything, like how you smell like you didn’t take a shower!” He started laughing again and I threw a pillow at him. He caught it this time, “I could smell the lust he had for you and the fear you had toward him as you were running. At first I followed you because you smelled too good to be true, but when I saw him with you I knew he was after my food! So, basically that’s when I assumed that he was going to you.”

I was about to say something but I heard a knock on the door. It was Yoon Soo, the old woman. She was carrying a tray in her arms. She softly placed it on bed and sat at the corner of the bed. She faced Kai and said, “Thank you for looking after her. I never should have let her go with Joon, I thought it was love on his side, but no… it was lust.” Kai just nodded back at her. She then turned to me, “How are you Sweetie? Here eat this, it’ll help you. Your parents told me to take care of you until they returned from their trip and now look what’s happened. Please… I beg you for forgiveness.”

I told her that it was ok and I started to eat the food. I probably looked like a pig as I ate. I was eating so fast that I didn’t even notice that Kai was staring at me. I looked up at him with food stuffed into my mouth and he started to laugh! How could he be a vicious wolf? He looked like a little puppy when he laughed!

.

.

.

(Two Days Later)

I was much better now. The claw mark I had was a light scar. Kai was walking towards the forest now. I ran up to him and grabbed his hand, “Where are you going?” Kai pushed my arm away, “Did you think I was going to stay forever in this dumb village full of murders? Did you forget I was a wolf who belonged with his pack?” When he said the word “murders” my heart sunk. To the wolves we were murderers. No matter how much I wanted Kai to stay (I was feeling too comfortable I guess when I awoke in the morning to see Kai curled up on the floor like a puppy) I knew that I can’t force a man to stay in a place that had killed his family or loved ones. I looked at the ground, because I felt too guilty. But when I looked back up Kai was gone.

.

.

.

(1 Week Later)

Joon was still trying to apologize to me. He came up with tons and tons of lies for why he acted like that, but I didn’t believe a word. I was walking behind a farmhouse when I heard some voices from inside it. It sounded like Joon, “Listen, I spotted a Black Wolf lurking around the forest near the village lately. I think they might want to attack us soon so I’m planning on killing it. I set seven traps for the creature. All we have to do is to wait until nightfall and I’m sure he will be in one of our traps!”

Wait… Did he say Black Wolf? That was Kai! I quickened my pace to the forest. I couldn’t let Kai fall to one of those traps! I tried to look for one and then I saw a deer. It was tied a tree stump. I struggled, but I was finally able to free it. Just then I heard a loud cracking noise and I saw the trap! It was a metal jaw that looked like the mouth of an alligator. It was designed to gravely wound whoever tried to eat the deer.

I continued my search for the other six traps. I was successful in finding five and freeing the deer. I finally reached the last one. It was further in the forest than the rest. I felt like there were eyes on me, but I didn’t care. I was able to free the deer. Just then I heard a louder noise than before followed by the most excoriating pain! I looked around to see that this trap was not just one, but a whole bunch of traps that were designed to kill any who tried to eat the deer from any angle.

I heard ruffling in the nearby bushes, but the pain made me almost deaf. I couldn’t hear anything clearly because my heart was beating fast. Just then I saw a dark wolf figure approaching, I said, “Kai-Kai is that you?” To my horror the wolf walked out of the shadows. It was light brown! Its mouth was covered in saliva and its eyes were blood red! It came closer and closer.

I could hear my heart beat faster and faster. I tried to get out of the trap but it was no use. The more I tried, the more it dug into my skin. I looked back at the wolf, it was slowly coming closer. Its eyes were staring at the blood that started to drip from the ever growing wound on my leg.

Was this going to be the end? I remembered that talking to Kai worked so I decided to try it, “Please help me? I was only trying to save you guys from the traps the rangers set. He set these traps to capture Kai, please try to-” The wolf started to growl when it heard Kai’s name. It lunged towards me. I closed my eyes, because I knew this would be the end…

.

.

.

《To be continued. ..》