Mama & Loy Adventure: Mexico City

My Day at the Fair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Henecia México, les dedico este capítulo.  Algún día ira nuestro príncipe a verlos, ay que esperarlo con fe y brazos abiertos.  This chapter also goes out to Beijing who also will not get to see their prince, but you know it wasn't his fault and he's with you in his heart..

It had been a few weeks since our day at the fair.   My husband saw the pictures, but still couldn't believe the kid and I actually met two KPop idols.  Not only met them, but spent an entire day with them.  I mean who would, right?  My husband was the only one we told.   I didn't even tell my best friend, Ana.  To think she and her daughter were supposed to join us and ended up having double booked themselves.  Had they gone, those seats wouldn't have been open and we never would have met Kim Hyun Joong and Kim Jaejoong.

It was about mid-August, having arrived from work, I checked the mail.  Amongst the usual bills and junk an envelope written in Hangul caught my eye.  "What could this be?"  I wondered, tearing into the envelope as I walked in the door. 

 - "Hey," my husband greeted me.

 - "Hey," I said distracted, reading.

 - "Mama!!!!"  The kid barreled into me as usual.  Since I wasn't paying attention, he easily knocked me down and I took him with me.  Yes, this was not an uncommon occurrence.  We lay there for a few seconds, him on top of me.

 - "Ugh, get off; your bony chin is killing me."  The kid got off, laughing.

 My husband had picked up the papers that had gone askew.  "What were you looking at?"

 - "I'm not sure; it looks like it's from Key East, Kim Hyun Joong's agency."  My husband had the habit of stealing things from me before I was done reading.

 - "I think they sent concert tickets?"

 - "What?!  Give me that!"  I got up from the floor and snatched the letter from his grip.

I read and re-read the letter.  It was in Hangul, but someone translated it on the back.

 

Mrs. Ellen Blake

 

Kim Hyun Joong would like to extend a personal invitation for you and your son to his Mexico City concert on September 12.  He looks forward to meeting the two of you again and expressly wishes that you are able to make it.  Since, of course this is out of your country, he will understand if it is not possible for you to make it.  Should you have any questions, please contact the number listed below and a representative that can speak English will help you.

Enclosed is your VIP and backstage passes.  These are special passes that are also given to the media.  You will need your ID as well as these passes to enter the venue.

 

I continued reading all the perks that came with the tickets.  The kid and I would be able to be in the venue early and go say hi before the show, after as well.   I start squealing and jumping up and down.  "Loy!  We're going to see Kim Hyun Joong!"

 - "Woo hoo!"  I grab his hands and we start jumping together.

 - "Ah!!!!!  I can't believe it!"  My husband is looking at us in disgust.

 - "I didn't say you could go."  My husband decides to be a pill.

 - "Don't even think about it!   You got to see your precious So Nyeo Shi Dae."  I say in a sneer.

 - "I didn't leave the country."

 - "Going to downtown is like leaving the country."  I rationalize and he rolls his eyes at me.  There is no way he is winning.

 

I had lost no time in getting Loy and me passports and our plane tickets.  Buy the week of September 7th, we were ready.  The passports had arrived, we'd be staying with a long lost cousin and even our bags were packed.   A scandal had broken out a few weeks ago, but that wasn't stopping me.  The Kim Hyun Joong I knew wasn't a monster.  All the more reason for the Kid and me to go and show our support.

My heart was pounding that morning.  Whether from nerves or excitement, I don't know.  The Kid stayed up way too late and was up way too early.  We might as well have taken the 6:30 flight instead of the 10:30.  The flight was not long at all, but Mr. Chatterbox didn't stop talking the entire time.  "Gee, I wonder where he gets it from."

 - "Mama, what's your favorite Kim Hyun Joong song?"  He was looking up videos.

 - "I don't know?"

 - "What about Kiss Kiss," having found a video.

 - "It's okay, but not one of my favorites.  You know me; I'm more into the ballads."

 - "What's that?"

 - "Slow songs...I know!   Because I'm Stupid."  The kid finds the video and starts to sing.  I'm cracking up and trying to shush him at the same time.  He thinks he's a Karaoke star.  He continues with Kiss Kiss, Unbreakable and I suggest Gentleman Gentleman.  We both sing along and thankfully no one is sitting next to us.

 

We arrive in Mexico City and are able to meet with my cousin immediately.  We didn't bring luggage, only my messenger bag, Loy's backpack and a duffle bag.

 - "Cesar!  Gracias por dejarnos pasar el fin de semana con tu familia (thank you for letting us spend The weekend with your family)."  I haven't seen him since we were kids and he kept threatening his Sister and me with bug spray.

 - "De Nada!  Con mucho gusto."  (Think nothing of it, it's my pleasure).

 - "Loy, say hi."  Unfortunately, the kid doesn't speak a word of Spanish.

 - "Mucho gusto, joven (It's a pleasure, young man)."  My cousin shakes Loy's hand.

We arrive at my cousin’s house, only long enough to say 'Hola, mucho gusto en conocerlos (Hello, nice to meet you)’ pass out gifts and that's really it.  I try to get Loy to take a nap, but it's not happening.

 - "Can you just pretend to take a nap?"

 - "I'm not tired!"

  - "Look, Mister, it's going to be a long night.   Even if we are three hours ahead of home, Daddy isn't here to take you back to the car because you are tired and cranky."  During the L.A. Korea Festival, he was done by nine P.M. and my husband took him back to the car after 2PM.  At least I got to enjoy Shinee.

 - "I won't!"  I give him the 'you better not' look.

My hair and makeup are done to my satisfaction, the kid looks cute in his L.A. Korea Festival shirt, I decide to be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter