Summer Love

Summer Love

A key rotated on the ignition by the hand of a male with a wide grin and a pair of navy blue Ray Ban shades, dark hair with honey highlights flying with the wind that messed the hair up. On the back seat of the roofless jeep, two boys, a blonde and a light brunette and a cute black haired girl sat, and other boy wearing a new era cap sat right next to the driver. On a motorbike driving close to the jeep, a girl kept challenging the driver. With flying fiery crimson red hair tied up on a lovely long ponytail, her Californian highlights made her look like Hades, shaded of an irregularly dyed icy turquoise blue, resembling the flames of hell. She also had a pair of black aviator shades and a large black sleeveless cropped tee, with matching teal blue shorts, and some black thick heeled boots, that barely covered the ankle. She looked more like she’d be part of a motorbike convention than of a holiday. She also had long spike earrings that bounced in the wind, and they made her look free, just like her challenging grin towards the other five elements.

“Get your eyes on the road, Soo. You’ll get us killed.” The jeep driver complained towards the girl that glanced and accelerated her vehicle.

“Not a piece of cake like you think. You’ve got Seungjin there, Jiseok.” The cherry red haired woman replied, chewing on her lower lip.

“Princess, stay focused.” The boy in a cap, named Seungjin, glanced back at her, smiling at the girl. By what it seemed they were a couple.

She chuckled at the pet name and kept eyeing the road. “I’m focused baby, nobody is on the road these days. Too busy being on vacation.”

The blonde on the back seats rolled his eyes, mumbling. “Cheesy , this Yoon Soojin. Can’t believe that this grease ball is my cousin.”

“Don’t say those things, you’ll be one too once you fall in love, not to say worse.” The light brown haired teased Jiseok’s brother.

“Shut up, , that is you.” He replied back, whining and bumping the light brunette’s arm.

“I know, and you love it as much as I do.” The boy replied playfully, chuckling.

“Guys, guys, cut the gay.” The black haired girl fixed her straightly cut fringe, fixing her headband that got tangled in hair with the wind.

“Sorry, Seunghee-ah, but Jiho can’t hold back his love for me anymore.” The boy kept saying, asking for a cat fight. He kept on chuckling, challenging Jiho.

The blonde glanced, threatening the other with a clenched fist. “Do you want to die? I told you not to publicly tell them how obsessed you are with me, Kwon.”

“We’ll see about that when we reach the family’s summer house, who’s the obsessed one.” Jiseok interrupted with a shady smirk-ish nasty grin. That sure meant something. “Don’t want to share my bedroom with Jiho, he snores like hell and snuggles his stuffed plushies like a five year-old. It is disturbing. If I were him I’d rather grab a lady already. And, speaking of room distribution. The couple sleeps on the mom and dad’s room, then is the bedroom from when we were little with that bunk bed. Seunghee can stay on the guests room. I don’t mind the couch, it’s hella good in fact. Better clean the dust first.”

“Hyung, are you planning to attack the women in the beach and present them to your bed-couch? Sort of lame. No wonder you’re 24 and single. That and you singing ‘Do you want to build a snowman’ with your friends. Just sad.” The younger brother shot directly at Jiseok, laughing evilly at him.

“You can’t speak much yourself.” Seunghee hissed in between the two boys, glancing at the blonde one.

Jiho looked with a challenging smirk towards the black haired girl. “Want to change that?” Responding at her disapproval glance, he winked.

Yukwon interrupted, stating what was already a conclusion for all of them. “We’re all single, except for the Double Jin couple over there.”

“And Jiho.” Seungjin said after cleaning his throat. “Don’t hit on my sister. Even if we are twins she was born lastly. I have to protect her. She’s not the solution for your lack of love life.”

Jiseok started laughing hysterically at his brother. “Oh my God. Seems like you’re going to remain single for long, huh.”

“Shut up, hyung, you’re older and I had more girls after me than you did. You are the saddest one on this car. You are the oldest. Responsible for us, responsible for our health, care and mistakes and an example. Not exactly a noble one.” Jiho whined.

A voice raised in the car, still being slightly low and insecure. “Enough, hyung. Let Jiseok hyung focus on the road. Don’t fight, he is your older brother. It is wrong to have such negative conversations, it takes people down. Consider that, a healthy relationship with a family member is priceless. And even with all the fighting and teasing, be like two best friends, because he’ll be there for you and you’ll be there for him, and none of you will be fake with each other. You’re lucky to have a brother, hyung.” Yukwon then glanced out of the open window. He has never had the brother he wished to have, and those two boys soon became the role model of how brotherhood should be. As a sensitive person, he reacted abruptly, making the blonde glance a tad worrisome.

Jiho’s conscience was a little heavy now, and soon his look fluttered in reflection of his heavy chest towards the brunette who glanced outside the window frame of the roofless jeep. It wasn’t the first time he felt that way, fluttering heavy and shaken heart, about to tremble with the slightest poke. Yukwon was a good friend whom he felt guilty whenever the younger was sad. With time he built the need of cheering him up and comforting him, but the pain was still there when it happened. And, after a while, he found himself looking out to the road as well, ignoring everything, Jiseok, Seunghee, Soojin, Seungjin. There was only space for his hurt friend. Jiho owed him a pat on the back and a tight hug now.

They both dozed to sleep, and so did the girl on the back seat, feeling the silent atmosphere take her over. Soon they arrived.

“Jiho, wake up. Wake those up too.” Jiseok shook Jiho’s knee still on the driver seat, his voice being soft yet easy enough to hear. The older kept on shaking the knee and the blonde opened his eyes slowly.

“Damn, we’re here… I wasn’t tired. I was just bored and Kwon got upset because we were mean to each other so I got quite mad at myself and I must have fallen asleep from boredom… How long did I sleep?”

Jiseok sighed, ruffling his brother’s hair. “I don’t know, only noticed when I was passing by that huge tree you liked to lay and camp under when we were younger.” Jiseok nodded. “About Yukwon, I’m sure this sleep made him well. He takes a lot of things seriously and he hates to see us be mean because it’s as if we were his older brothers. But we’ll never stop being brothers, right, the dork is part of us as brothers. Sometimes we’re a bit harsh. But, go wake him up, and call Seunghee too, we’ll have lunch and put our hands to work. Mom and dad said we better clean and fix what’s damaged, get the hose on the garden fixed first, and the pipes are rusty too so that comes first. Then clean dust, cover stuff and clean ceilings, walls, floor, windows, repaint if needed. There is an empty nest on the kitchen too. So, better hurry.”

Jiseok left, leaving his brother behind, who got out of the car to wake up the other two.

“I’m sorry I upset you, Kwon. You’re no longer sad, are you? You know, Jiseok and I are united as brothers but we show affection in a different way, sometimes it is harsh. But we’re not mad. We’re just both teasingly and dorks. And we tease each other. It’s our personalities, we’re not all love. I hate seeing you upset, I just… smile and it’ll be alright.” Jiho mumbled, the long straightly cut light brown fringe, his eyes analyzing the sleeping Yukwon. “Wake up, alright? We’ve got a lot to do. It will be a long afternoon. First it’s lunch. Bibimbap, is it okay for you? We need to heat it on the stove, come on. Hurry.” The blonde patted Yukwon’s upper thigh on the side, as if calling him, and Yukwon made a face, rubbing his eyes.

“I fell asleep.” He chuckled, patting his nose as he sniffled. “I believe I’ve got a cold too now. Maybe it was the wind against my throat.”

Jiho grinned, the fringe gently. “Take good care of yourself, okay? You can’t get sick now that we’ve got a time on our own.”

“I won’t get sick, don’t worry.” Yukwon grinned back, nodding determined. “Let’s eat that bibimbap!” He jumped out of the jeep, calling Seunghee by shaking her slightly.

“Leave me be…” The black haired had a grumpy waking up, yawning and curling up on the corner. “I didn’t sleep well last night.”

“Nothing a coffee or a ginseng tea can’t solve.” Yukwon chuckled, shaking her again. “Come on, Seunghee-ah.”

Jiho popped out behind her, poking her. “A hose bath is also good for waking up purposes. Which one you like better?”

“Fine, fine.” Seunghee nodded and sighed sleepily, stepping out of the car. She rubbed her eyes and went in, yawning loudly enough for them to hear.

Jiho approached the other from the back, laying his hand on his opposite shoulder, lips spreading on a grin. “I thought you went in?” Yukwon blinked, gazing at Jiho.

“Thought you might need some help waking her up. Threats work just fine with her.” The blonde chuckled, petting Yukwon’s light brown fringe.

“Threats are always your method.” Yukwon chuckled, fixing his hair.

“Shut up!” Jiho whined, bumping the other’s shoulder playfully. “I’m a nice person… I came to help you wake up Seunghee and woke you up. Isn’t that nice from me?”

“It sure is… your obligation.” Yukwon chuckled, bumping the other and running off to the gate, laughing loudly as the other chased after, tugging to Yukwon’s tank top and dragging him back, resembling two kids running after each other and trying to make their way in first.

“Jeez, this kiddos.” Jiseok laughed on the inside, opening the window to call them out. “Hey, five year-olds, you come eat. The plates wash is on you. The food is on the table.”

“Sure thing, hyung.” Jiho rolled his eyes at the chores imposition, sighing. “I dry it and put it back on the shelves, you wash it.”

“What?” Yukwon whined, making a pouty expression. “Why me? My hands are slippery…”

“You won’t get away with it, slippery or not.” Jiho shrugged and got inside first, smacking Yukwon’s playfully.

“Yah, what was that for?” He whined with a frown this time, instead of a pout. “I don’t do that to you.” Yukwon raised a brow, poking the ahead of him hidden in between saggy swimming trunks that unveiled a scrap of underwear.

“What are you doing, poking my , you !” Jiho hissed, whining and glancing with a threatening look.

Yukwon whined back, pouting. “You slapped my !”

“What are you two doing there? Come eat already, the bibimbap is cooling down…” Soojin, the cherry crimson haired glanced at the boys with a frown, watching them argue about their own butts. “Dear lord, I feel older than them once in my life.”

“Yah, don’t say that, you’re still our lovely maknae.” Seungjin commented. He has left his cap somewhere else, unveiling his side fringe black hair and his squishy eye bags.

“You’re suspicious in here you know.” The red haired woman got back to sitting nearby her pair, biting the tip of his nose gently.

“Soo, please respect the single content. We don’t need cheese, for God’s sake.”

The two boys sat in front to the empty plates placed nearby each other, next to Jiseok. Grabbing the chopsticks, the two recently arrived males started stuffing themselves, focusing on what was left to eat.

Jiho got himself a handful of noodles and stuffed them in a few and then his eyes roamed to Yukwon. After a quick stare he got a napkin and placed him nearby the other. “The sauce is about to fall, it’s a hard stain to handle. Clean yourself or else you’ll be washing it too. It’s not like I’ll get my hands on the soap.”

The words were forcefully harsh, to cover the loveable gesture everyone has noticed. It was suspicious to them, so the table soon became silent, almost unbearable.

“Class dismissed. The kiddos will clean the kitchen.” Jiseok played as he stood up, getting the toolbox from the counter. “Anything, the boys will be fixing the pipes. Upstairs’ bathroom works just fine and the kitchen’s sink too. The washing machines aren’t plugged in. The laundry one is the only one working just fine. If needed, I’m on the backyard.”

“I’ll be fixing the bathroom downstairs and when I’m done I’ll be getting the pool ready.” Seungjin stood up, playing with the cherry red ponytail of Soojin as he got up.

“I’ll open the windows and vacuum meanwhile. You’re coming with me, right, Seunghee?” The red haired stood up, slapping Seunghee’s twin on his thigh as revenge for messing with her hair. “You know it hurts when I do my hair on a ponytail…”

“Sorry, princess… I forgot about it…” Seungjin pecked Soojin’s forehead and she held out his shirt’s collar, pulling him down for a brief encouraging kiss.

“Enough, love birds, get your asses to work.” Jiho was the first to whine at his cousin and her boyfriend. She sure didn’t have the Woo genes, except for the frequent biting and slapping and the lips. The smile was the same too, she was like their little sister, two years younger than the younger Woo, four years and a half younger than the older one. But it didn’t stop them from being like a family. They did dork with her too. In fact the guest room used to be hers. Despite Jiho’s whiny behavior, he loved Soojin like a sister, he just showed it differently, just like he did with Jiseok. In fact he was truthfully happy and slightly envious of her strong relationship. He sort of craved one, but he needed to fill the ‘who’ spot, which he believed to have not.

Yukwon stood up and covered the leftovers with the pot’s cover, starting to pick up the plates from the table.

“Hyung, is the refrigerator working?” Jiho spoke loudly towards the backyard’s door. A face popped out on the door, sound muffled by the noises. ‘Yeah’, Jiseok thumbed up and got back to work.

The male put the pot on the refrigerator, and a drenched in sweat Jiseok got back to the kitchen, keeping his wet and dirty slippers on. “Forgot to say, there is shopping bags and luggage on the jeep. Go grab those once the dishes are washed. Then help with cleaning the rooms or something, there’s a lot to be done.”

“Stop sounding like mom and clean your feet before getting in. The floor is on your account.”

Jiho smiled brightly and got himself a mop. “Kwon, are you making a pond?” He laughed at the boy whose tank top was as soaked as the floor, and he only noticed the water flow was too strong moments later.

“Damn… I’m sorry.” He reduced the flow, watching the other pick up the remaining chopsticks and cups from the table. “I should pay attention to it.” Yukwon closed the tap, heating water on the electric kettle to wash the plates, filling both sinks, adding detergent on a sponge.

“Don’t make too much foam out of it or passing it by tepid water will be useless.” The blonde advised, looking at the boy work and wash the plates one by one. Distracted he didn’t notice the plates getting accumulated on his own sink. “Oh, right.” He chuckled awkwardly, passing the plates within the tepid water through it, drying them and putting them in place. Soon they were done.
“Jiseok hyung spoke of the luggage and shopping. They better go to the fridge or else they might spoil. It’ll be a waste… Let’s get those quickly.” Yukwon smiled gently, bumping his elbow against the older’s arm.

“Sure, let’s bring the shopping in first. We’ve got frozen octopus to grill for dinner and drinks on the car.” Jiho agreed, pulling Yukwon out, both putting back their slippers.

It didn’t take long for them to bring all the stuff in, but soon the fridge was full. “Need to put it all back on the table, it’s not as organized as it should…”

A bottle cracked on the floor and Yukwon stood still on the same place, shivering, with teary eyes.

“What happened, Kwon? Are you alright?” Jiho ran to him, kneeling down to analyze his bare feet. A large beer bottle broke and shattered right on Yukwon’s feet. “Oh my God, those are deep cuts. Be careful not to step on those. Can you walk?” The blonde sounded terribly concerned, already making Yukwon lean on him to walk out of the kitchen. Each step made the wounds even more hurtful and wide open so Jiho had no other chance than carry Yukwon upstairs on his arms. “You told me you had slippery hands, I should have put those on the fridge. Plus you washed the dishes just now. I should have helped you more, this wouldn’t have happened…”

“Don’t blame yourself. The slippery hands are mine. Also, I can walk.”

“Your wounds will get worse if you do. We need to heal them, they’re deep and bleeding, and you’ve got pieces of glass pierced on your feet. Are you crazy? We need to take care of these wounds, disinfect them.”

Yukwon remained silent, he knew it was true, and that the beer made those ever more hurtful.

He was sit over the bathroom counter with Jiho’s help, looking at him look out for the emergency kit. Apparently none of the others noticed the accident that happened on the kitchen. It was loud because of the running water, plumbs being fixed and vacuums cleaning whatever those passed through. It felt like they were on their own now that an accident has happened and they had to solve it all alone.

Jiho finally found the disinfectant, pouring it on a ball of cotton. “Stay still, this will hurt a little.” He said, the cotton on the wounds gently, hearing a shiver from Yukwon’s lips a single time. No more than one single time, since he bit his lips. It must hurt.
Soon, the shattered glass was removed and Jiho wrapped a white fabric bandage around the feet after adding a cream to help heal the wounds without them infecting. And, to finish, he added adhesive for the medical bandage not to fall off.

“I can walk now, really. Thanks for helping me out. I need to help you all though.” Yukwon tried to make his way off of the counter, only to stumble right into Jiho’s arm.

“Take it easy, Superman. You need to take rest for today, when you’re just fine, then yes, help out all you want. But you are injured. The wounds are quite deep and if you walk around while they’re not healed it will just do worse. I don’t think salt water will do any good either. So don’t dare walking on your own under my watch. Come on, hold onto me.” The blonde said as he held out Yukwon once more, carrying him out to the bedroom which used to be his and his brother’s.

“Fine. I hate it when I am conditioned though. Accidents and illnesses are things that I wish that wouldn’t tackle me down like this on a bed. I feel like I’m defenseless and useless whenever those happen, like I’m a burden.” Yukwon sighed, his arms tugging to Jiho’s neck, carefully not to hurt him.

Jiho’s voice changed tone, becoming a tad weak, decaying alongside with Yukwon’s selfless personality. “You’re not a burden, at all. You’re in fact very helpful, even if you need to stay on a static position. You can… fold clothes, help cooking by cutting ingredients and mixing them as well. And you can be a nice pillow if we get sleepy, what do you think?”

“Hyung… it’s no help to anyone. I know you’re trying to cheer me.” Yukwon nodded slowly, looking down towards his feet. “Those is no help.”

Jiho succeeded on opening the door, luckily finding the bedroom neatly clean, both beds made and refreshing bedding sheets ready to sleep on. He carefully placed Yukwon down in bed, who kept looking at him like Jiho had to be his guidance. Jiho the brunette sweaty fringe back into a firm straight line. “It was helping us that this happened, now it’s our time to help you. Stay down, we’ll heal your wounds.”

Yukwon had no choice but to accept it. He barely could walk without his feet’s cuts spreading open. He couldn’t ask many things either. “Hyung, when you’re done with the tasks, can you stay with me for a while?” He thought maybe requesting that was a little too much. But Jiho his hair more, like he always did.

“You don’t need to ask, I will come either way. I don’t want you feeling lonely.” He walked towards a TV attached to the wall thanks to support, plugging it and handing the remote controller. “Watch a movie or something until I’m back, ok? We have a few recorded ones on the TV, just look out for it on the menu. I won’t take long.”

“Thanks, hyung. I feel better already with all the spoiling.” Yukwon grinned brightly, his eyes squishing gently.

“Don’t thank me, just don’t become a spoiled brat afterwards.” An equally as wide grin spread across Jiho’s lips as he ruffled Yukwon’s hair gently. Both their gazes locked with the door as they heard a knock. “Yeah?”

A red and icy blue ponytail popped through the door, a pair of slightly shut eyes and a nose with a cute little mole appeared as well. “I saw the mess downstairs and heard voices over here, what happened?”

“A beer bottle fell over Kwon’s feet and he got cut with it. His hands were slippery because we were washing the dishes before that. It was an accident.” Jiho answered before the injured boy would say anything. He feared he’d get down on himself, or he’d proclaim it as a stupid accident so he said it all straight forward.

“I haven’t heard a thing though. I went to check on Seungjin and found that mess, open fridge, shattered glass, beer and water all over. Found it strange, thought you went look for a broom and a mop or something, but the mop was there already, so I cleaned and thrown the glass into the trash.” Soojin pursed her thick reddish lips, nodding slowly and showing off a tiny dimple. She resembled Jiseok whenever she did that, it was quite creepy. Especially because Jiho’s older brother had the same features: same lips and same dimples, and even he did that as well. “Well, you’re better now, I hope, oppa. You’ll be just fine under Dr. Jiho’s care.” She chuckled a tad playfully, patting Yukwon’s knee and extending her lips on a grin. “Feel better soon, oppa. We’re cleaning the living room so soon you can join us and stay on the couch.” She waved, her messy cherry red and icy turquoise ponytail disappearing through the door’s gap.

“Your cousin reminded me of your brother just now.” Yukwon chuckled as soon as there was no Soojin to be seen. “The dimple thing, you don’t have those, do you?” Yukwon chuckled more, poking the pale chubby cheek of the blonde.

“Jiseok hyung and Soo stole them away. But I’m still the best-looking, aren’t I?” He laughed, getting another poke on his cheek.

Yukwon grinned, shaking his head. “Dimples are charming.”

“I don’t need dimples to be charming.” Nor do you. The blonde’s eyes focused on the image of the other, and the smile of the other slowly faded. The environment seemed to be a little awkward. It was the first time he caught them staring to each other that way.

Jiho was saved by the bell, or, better saying, the knock. “How are you, Kwon?” Jiseok abruptly evaded the bedroom, getting in. The look on his eyes was intrigued and with a hint of awkwardness, but he was never left speechless nor shameful. Shame was robbing. So, he never feared or felt ashamed of a single thing. “Heard my beverage sort of knocked you down. Sorry about that, it was a bad idea to tell you to get the stuff inside when you just cleaned stuff and had the detergent on your hands and all. It was an accident so it’s nobody’s fault, but I feel bad because I was the one telling you two to go bring things in.” Jiseok sighed, patting Yukwon’s leg as he kneeled in between the two younger. “Are the cuts too deep?”

“I guess... Jiho won’t let me stand up, he says the wounds will reopen if they’re not properly healed and I walk too much.” Yukwon sat back on the bed, dragging his feet through the bedding sheet under him. “Drag him away, hyung, he’s spoiling me too much and there’s work to do.” He chuckled brightly, making a whiny face.

“Sure thing, Kwon. Come on, let’s go. We’ve got to put the sunshades and the table on the garden and clean the barbecue for dinner.” Jiseok patted Jiho’s shoulder a couple of times, to then drag him out. “I’ll bring this moron back in a few, to help you downstairs so you can have dinner with us and have a snack on the couch and all.”

“I’ll help you downstairs when I get back. Watch that movie, I won’t take long.” Jiho mumbled, going after Jiseok as soon as he got pulled out, like he had to be dragged away to leave from next to Yukwon. At least it was how Jiseok’s gesture sounded to the blonde.

Soon they went down the stairs and passed by the women and the other male on the kitchen and living room, Jiseok making his way to the backyard where several chairs were piled, waiting for people to put them in their place. Staring at the fence, Jiseok stuffed his pockets with his own hands, placing his sun shades on, as he then fixed his fringe. A brief silence followed, in which Jiseok made sure nobody would interrupt them. “The environment upstairs was quite heavy when I arrived. Feels like it was a relief to see someone else besides both of you. I mean, not heavy, awkward.” Jiseok sighed and got himself a chair, sitting as he rested his arms on its back, sitting on it with his chest against the chair’s back. “I’ve been asking myself about this for quite a while, and the more I look at how you two interact, the surer I am.”

“What about it? What’s wrong?” Jiho frowned, glancing at Jiseok’s empty statements. He grabbed a chair, as soon as he got a signal from Jiseok, his head tilting towards the chairs. Jiho sat nearby his brother, crossing his leg and leaning back, crossing arms. “Will you tell me at once?”

“Fine.” Jiseok sighed. “You like him, don’t you.” It sounded more like a statement than a question.

“Of course!” Jiho said abruptly. “He’s my friend, and he’s like a brother to me, of course I like him! What would I be if I considered him a brother without liking him?” He was sure trying to drive the conversation through another route.

“That’s not what I asked. Do you like him? We both know what I mean with this question. He sure isn’t a brother to you, I am your brother and Soo is our cousin and she grown up like a sister for us, and you don’t treat us the way you treat him. Admit it, he rocks your world.” Jiseok gripped the wooden chair with his hand, hoping to get an answer out of there, and silence was his answer, a long one in which he heard Jiho’s sigh, followed by a lowering of his head. “You care for him in a way we all get envious, I can see it in your eyes.”

“And what about it? I’m his hyung. The brother he never had and always wanted to have. He can get plenty girlfriends in every corner.” Again other sigh escaped the blonde’s lips.

At the reaction, Jiseok raised his hand and slapped the back of his brother’s head. “Listen to me, , don’t lose him for a girl. The longer you take, the more you’ll be close to losing him. I’m almost sure he’s feeling confused just as you are, but I’m even surer that he likes you. More than a brother, you are the person he wanted the most in his life, just open up your eyes before it’s late and you’re back to being just a guy, that actually happened to be like a brother once.”

“Even so.” Jiho sighed and held out his head in between his hands.

“You’re a guy. You think that bothers me?” The brunette with honey strands patted the younger male’s shoulder, it gently. “Trust me, keep it down, keep it discrete, act like you do now and don’t get awkward in public, and there won’t be a problem about it. After all the people don’t change, the feelings don’t change, you just acknowledge it and share it.”

“You don’t get it, do you?” The blonde stood up, putting the chair back in place. “He sees me like a brother. There’s no way I can fix that.”

Jiseok stood up and put the chair aside. “He is not your brother. If he considered himself like your brother he certainly wouldn’t try for us not to discuss and call you out. He doesn’t argue with you, he only tries to correct it all for the best, he doesn’t blame you when you’re the one at fault and blames himself instead. He’s selfless towards you. He looks at you with a smile, even if something else is taking him down. When he’s with you he is just fine. He doesn’t hide it when you make him sad and it aches more for him than any other of us. So go get him, don’t be a jerk.”

For his surprise, as soon as Jiho was heading back to the inside, his heart fell down to his feet, as he locked his gaze with Yukwon, sitting on a wheelchair, coming on his own towards the living room, almost approaching the door leading to the backyard.

Jiho’s eyes widened, he heard nothing while he was speaking with his brother, and now he heard rubber on the floor from the wheelchair’s wheels. Yukwon was turning around the corner and as soon as he looked up, the expression seemed blank, completely empty to Jiho’s eyes. No grin. Did he hear their conversation? “Weren’t you upstairs in the bedroom? Where did you find that wheelchair?” Jiho could recognize the Hello Kitty stickers all over it. It was from when he broke his leg and his arm, not allowing him to use the crutches, one day he slipped on a rock covered in seaweed on the beach while looking for clams with his father and brother. Never step on seaweed, they’re slippery, he remembered.

“Soojin found it on the attic. She and Seungjin helped me down the stairs.” Yukwon nodded, smiling gently. “This way I can set the table as well. And I save you the work of carrying me. And obviously, I can be here and the most troublesome part is bringing me upstairs.”

“You can sleep on the couch if you’d rather, that way you won’t have to go up the stairs, we can switch, and I sleep on the room with Jiho.” The older brother tested the youngest of the three.

Yukwon shook his head right ahead, with no hesitation. “It’s alright, you said earlier you’d rather sleep on the couch than sleeping on the bedroom with him. I won’t steal your sleeping spot, I don’t like those things. It’s closer to the bathroom if I need to use it in the middle of the night without bumping into anything since the hallway is empty, wide and the bathroom is next door.”

“You’re right.” Jiseok nodded, chewing on the inside of his cheeks, showing off his dimples as he nodded, pursing his lips, precisely like Soojin did a while ago. “It’s easier to be upstairs because that way you can call out Jiho for help if you need it, just knock on the bunk bed’s structure, he’ll wake up already. No need of shouting or anything, he has a quite light sleep.”

It was written on Jiho’s face that he would hide himself on a hole if he could, but he kept on a cool manner, smiling wide as he decided to resolute to helping Yukwon through the brick-like pavement. “That wheelchair used to be mine. I had the dumbest accident ever and got stuck into it. I stepped on seaweed that was attached to a rock and I slipped on it and fell and broke my leg and my arm. I got all scratched. Soojin was making sand castles under the supervision of my mom and my aunt, her father went buy ice creams for all of us and me, Jiseok and our father went looking out for clams on the rocks. I took my bucket to put the clams on but my father told me to stay close and I disobeyed. I was left behind, trying to get a crab to add to my collection inside the bucket. When I noticed, they were right ahead and I started running through the rocks and the sand, but then I put my foot on a tall rock with seaweed and I fell down into the water. They heard the splash and came to me, whimpering and all scratched. I was ten.”

“The stickers’ part is because he loves that cat there.” Jiseok laughed, joking with his brother, ruffing his hair. Jiho huffed, blowing at his messed up fringe, to then put it back in place. “Sometimes I wonder what kind of guy likes those things.”

“Shut up, Winnie the Pooh.” The blonde rolled his eyes at the other, heading towards the stone barbecue pit with a few papers to clean it, turning his back at the other two, who started taking care of the other tasks left to do.

Hours passed and the boys finished cleaning the backyard in which a covered pool was seen, on the opposite side to the table in which there were two towels covering it from edge to edge. Soon five chairs were displayed and six plates and six cups, napkins and pairs of chopsticks were neatly placed nearby the plates. It didn’t take long for the grilled octopus to be ready either, with seasoned bean rice accompanying the plate and olive oil poured over the grilled crispy octopus. The spots were distributed and the two women and the four boys soon arrived to have their meal. For those who said kids from their nineteen’s to their twenty-four’s could be irresponsible, those were quite good at taking good care of themselves and each other. Despite the accidents and the complications, they all were by each other’s side, despite the awkward silence that now was flooding Jiho. He was the only one that wouldn’t say much. He was still digesting everything he has said and realized during the afternoon. Not that it took him until there to realize, he just thought it was normal, like an ultra-protective older brother side of his coming out to him, only him.

Jiho caught Yukwon glancing at him, handing him a napkin. “Be careful, hyung, there’s sauce dripping right into your shirt.” With fringe covering his eyes, he handed more paper napkins so he could soak the sauce that was starting to pond on the fabric.

“Thanks.” Jiho distractedly replied, wiping the sauce and cleaning his hands, to then Yukwon’s fringe, then getting back to eating. He knew the eyes were still lying on him, which in fact made him keep the grin spread on his lips. Seemed like everything was back to normal to him, and nothing no longer bothered him, maybe he just didn’t hear a single thing and he was overreacting and acting suspicious for no reason.

“So, guys, where are we going headed to tomorrow?” Seunghee asked, smiling gently. “Do we go outside or stay here? If we go out we can walk around on the surroundings, we don’t necessarily need to go to the bridge.”

Soojin shot right ahead, eyeing the light brown haired boy in the wheelchair. “Kwon better stay home, so maybe we better do so too, until his wounds are healed. Then we can go anywhere. Maybe we should buy some of the things we still need during the early afternoon and enjoy the pool in the morning and when we’re back from shopping. Some of the rooms need some fixing so maybe it wouldn’t be bad buying some paint and brushes.”

“Maybe we should grant that all the devices work properly in the house and fix them too, so calling a professional over to fix that washing machine would be a good idea.” Seunghee tapped her chin, nodding slowly. “Seungjin is good at fixing things and so is Jiseok but a professional is a better bet.”

“We’ll see about that in the morning.” Jiseok announced. He sort of seemed like the alpha male in between the other five. “Now it’s time to get the stuff back in and wash those.”

“I think I could use some sleep after helping out with what I can. Is there anything for me to do?” Despite being on the wheelchair, Yukwon still wanted to feel useful and to have something to do. But in fact there wasn’t much to do.

Jiseok shook his head towards Yukwon, patting his shoulder. “It’s fine, Kwon, don’t worry about it, the fellows already took care of it. Go ahead and help him upstairs, Jiho. It’s fine, we handle this just fine. Just help him.”

The blonde nodded and drove the wheelchair up the stairs until the second door, opening it, finding the bedroom with flowing white curtains, dancing with the breeze, open wooden frame window, shades of sunset reflected on the cream tone of the painted wall and the bunk bed, oriented towards the TV set. Next to it there was a big family portrait and more to the left side of the room, a minimalist wooden closet with a mirror on the middle door, doors those that were open. The luggage was there already, ready to unpack, and the closet had drawers as well, so as a lot of iron and plastic hangers. Jiho closed the door with his feet, sitting on the bunker bed next to Yukwon.

“Should we unpack? I think the closet no longer smells like it’s been closed for long. It’s nice that it has a mirror, so we can check ourselves while getting dressed.” Jiho grinned, looking at the sky’s infinity of hues, gradients that mixed in between each other as the soon moved down.

Yukwon chuckled and went until the window, holding the curtains within his hands. “Weather will be nice tomorrow. The sunset is really beautiful, it almost has tones of pink and lavender. When the sky is really crimson, it means the next day that awaits us will be sunny and bright too. Even if bad things happened today, also good things did.” The grin on Yukwon’s lips grew wider, and he looked up at Jiho who was now standing nearby him.

“Good things as in what?” Jiho’s voice sounded sweet and curious now and then, soft and tender like a whisper. Like peaceful words capable of calming you down.

“We are all here together, we’ve had good meals, we’re safe and you’re here too.” Yukwon’s gaze kept locked with the sun that slowly hid its sight. “It’s funny, that story they tell about the Sun and the Moon. The Sun once was a radiating and bright man who once fell in love with the stunning and shy Moon. But despite their unrequited love they never quit of their love, so, the Sun would die every night so his loved one would live. Sunsets and sunrises are beautiful, maybe because it’s the only times the Sun actually sees his adored Moon. They have a sad story with a sad ending that lasts forever for their torment, but they still can’t live without each other. It’s a beautiful love story, isn’t it? But, is it possible for the Moon and the Sun to meet someday? We never know. All I know is that from all the stars in the sky, the Moon fell in love with the only one that the Moon would never be able to have, at least from what we know. The Moon and the Sun loved each other without exchanging a word about it, living for each other, while the Sun thought the Moon would look at all the stars in the sky except for him.”

“Why are you telling me this?” The voice on Jiho’s throat sounded a little sore, like a glass was ran over through his lungs. He did hear it, didn’t he? The worries kept assaulting Jiho until a gentle touch got a hold of his hand.

“I thought it would be alright to keep on pretending nothing was different as long as I wouldn’t lose you. I started believing nothing had. But you slowly started treating me so nice. Too nice. I thought I wouldn’t be able to keep on pretending. Jiseok hyung is right about what he said. Brother or friend, all I do think is that I don’t want to lose you. And now a third option has been added.” Mine. Yukwon’s lips curved up softly as soon as the sun hid itself behind the shimmering, inviting sea on the horizon ahead of them, no trace of it being seen anymore.

“I hope we can be other than the Sun and the Moon. No putting apart.” Jiho’s lips spread widely, and he kneeled down in front to Yukwon, his thumb tracing the pinkish cheeks. Their fingers tangled within each other, and Jiho led them back, Yukwon following after on the wheel chair.

As soon as Jiho was about to let go, even if it was just to close the window, Yukwon got a hold of him, pulling him back to the spot from which he left. “Hyung.” He called, causing the other to look over, pulling him down, his lips crashing and joining as one with the other’s for a brief instance, sweetly and quickly. A small pecking sound echoed through the room lowly, causing the boy on the wheelchair to whisper against the pair of lips. “Sleep on the bed with me for tonight, can you?”

The other nodded firmly and gently, his fingers running through the other’s hair as gently as his whispering voice sounded, a grin forming on his lips as he spoke. “I will.”

Quitting on closing the window from which a summery breeze evaded the room, the blonde Yukwon’s hair, holding him out on his arms and placing him in bed, nuzzling him as soon as he rolled to his side. Yukwon’s hands against both their chests was enough to tell both hearts were beating strongly like a drum, unstoppable, like every single muscle of theirs vibrated with the dance of their hearts searching for each other uncontrollably. Nothing else mattered. Not anymore. That Summer wouldn’t happen twice, and so wouldn’t that love confession.

“Hyung…” Eyes covered with his own fringe, he looked up toward Jiho, whose eyes were locked in his already, his fringe to the side so he could see the deliciously brown eyes of the injured boy. Yukwon slowly the blonde’s cheek gently, giving it a gentle peck. “I’m happy to know all this time I wasn’t the only one pretending not to be falling in love.”

“Silly, how could I not be falling in love, you’d ruin anyone into falling for you with your adorableness… You know what. There are bad things that come for a good reason. If you weren’t hurt now, I wouldn’t have taken care of you, and Jiseok wouldn’t have opened up my eyes. I wouldn’t be as happy right now, we’d probably be playing cards downstairs and I’d be losing. I’d be closer to lose you and now I’m not and I’m not going to let it happen. I finally realized I wasn’t facing my little defenseless brother but the person I fell for. I was just ignoring the facts, pretending. Now there is no reason to pretend. Kiss me all you want.”

“What will the others say about this?” Yukwon’s eyes were glowing, showing a slight hint of concern over them. “I really like you, hyung, and I want to be able to show it, but the idea of what they’ll be saying scares me a little.”

“It’s us what matters.” Jiho grinned, pecking the top of the younger’s head in a soft way. “I’m sorry you had to wait so long for my confession. I made myself believe that it was normal to feel the way I do, as if it was me acting like your older brother. Now I did understand and I confess with my own words. I love you, not as a brother, not just as a friend, but as a lover. You’re mine.”

For the first time in a long time, Yukwon sniffled lowly, as he leaned closer again, his lips tugging to the other’s gently on a shy kiss, trying to wipe off any traces of tears. He was genuinely happy and that made the blonde genuinely happy as well. “I love you too, hyung.”

Jiho’s hand Yukwon’s hair, his other hand’s thumb running through the boy’s eyelids, resting his head next to the younger’s, nose nuzzling on Yukwon’s. Gently, Jiho pulled the bedding sheets to cover them, a gentle smile forming as he leaned forward and kissed the other one more time. Fluttering eyes, they both closed them, disappearing in between the white plain sheets, flowing with the summery breeze. You smell like love to me, the lips gently whispered.