Some Habits are Good for the Heart

Looking at You

He steals a glimpse at his wristwatch and sees that there’s approximately a minute for him to make it to class on time. He expertly avoids other students in the hallways and makes sure he's holding the coffee alright and far from spilling anytime soon.

He makes it to the door just as the professor settles his things on his table. Luhan takes three deep breaths, wipes the thin sheen of sweat on his forehead with his free hand then maneuvers his way to the third row, slides on his seat then puts the coffee in front of his seatmate. 

“Americano today. You might need a lot of caffeine in your system to function,” he whispers to Minseok as he reaches for his notebook from his back pack. He looks at his seatmate who gives him a smile as thanks.

They go through their hour and a half class quietly, Luhan pinching Minseok lightly a few times to keep him from sleeping. 

The two males proceeded to go to the cafeteria after class for some brunch. Both of them have a few hours of vacant period before their next class so they usually hang out at the cafeteria and the library to while away the time. They spend the time goofing off with their friends or doing class requirements to avoid any cramming that has a high possibility of happening for every university student.

Luhan holds their tray as Minseok chooses among the array of food served and lets the elder pay their food. Minseok would get annoyed with him if he will insist paying, saying that that he’s older (though not really by much) and it’s his way of giving back through all the coffees Luhan treated him every morning.

They choose a table beside a wall to be somehow secluded from the crowd that is beginning to get thicker by the minute.

“Are you done with our Humanities paper?” Luhan says as he munched on his sandwiched. Minseok reaches out then taps his chin so Luhan would close his mouth while chewing his food. Luhan just responds with a tight-lipped smile.

“Almost. Worked on it till 2am earlier,” Minseok responds as he slowly unwraps his sandwich, his body lacking the energy to even do simple things. He’s not surprised when a hand reaches out for it then unwrapped it for him. “Thanks,” Minseok says, smiling at Luhan in gratitude.

Luhan taps his left cheek lightly. “Stop studying too much though. It’s due next week yet you’re acting like it’s due in a few hours.”

“Habits die hard,” Minseok shrugs. 

“I know, but you’ll die early with the rate you’re working,” he responds as he pinches Minseok’s cheeks. Minseok swats his hands away, annoyed at his friend for molesting his cheeks then gives Luhan a hard stare. Luhan looks back at him innocently and says, “What? Old habits die hard.”

***

It was in middle school when they met. Luhan’s the new kid and rumor has it that he was bullied from his former school that’s why he transferred. But then, Luhan was far from being introvert. It was actually the opposite. He was that outgoing guy who everybody came to like. He’s attentive in class, polite, greets everybody and speaks with everyone who approaches him. So it was not a surprise that many admired him, both in the romantic sense and not. 

Luhan and Minseok were classmates. Minseok, as Luhan observed in his first week in school, seems to be the guy who does not speak a lot but definitely not the socially-awkward type one as he’s pretty lively whenever he’s with his friends. Luhan sits two rows behind Minseok and whether he wants to or not, he sees Minseok all the time as his seat is right in the foremost row and center. 

For the first few months, they exchanged polite greetings. They were not close as they have different groups of friends but that changed when they became high school students.

Luhan was surprised to say the least when he saw Minseok in his classroom during their freshman year. Though there are also some familiar faces but Luhan recognized them as people from their same batch but not really the same class. To put it simply, Minseok would be the most comfortable choice of friend. 

He approaches the boy and taps his shoulder.

“Minseok-ssi! It’s nice to see you here!” He greets as he gives the other boy his signature bright smile.

“Oh, Luhan-ssi! We’re in the same class?” Minseok says as he shows a tentative smile.

“Looks like it,” Luhan chuckles. “You have a seatmate?” he motions to the seat beside Minseok currently occupied by a black back pack. 

“No, not really, it’s mine,” Minseok says as he gets the bag and puts in on the floor underneath his desk. “You can take it,” he adds.

Luhan gladly takes the offer and drops his bag on the floor before taking his seat. 

They say old habits die hard... and sometimes, certain situations just trigger for new habits to appear.


***

Luhan does not know when it exactly started but he’s sure it’s sometime during their high school freshman year. They became permanent seatmates so he and Minseok are practically together for the better part of the day. He started with stolen glances at the other boy. Sometimes he finds entertainment in the amused expression of the elder boy when he learns something particularly awesome in their class. 

Minseok has always been studious. He's not exactly the type who studies for the sake of grades but someone who studies because he genuinely loves learning new things everyday. Luhan has always teased the boy about it during the earlier times of their friendship but learned to admire it as time goes on. It actually evolved as one of his favorite “Minseok Things” among a thousand (and possibly, million) others. 

Unconsciously, Luhan looks at Minseok from time to time. From looking at him when they are having a conversation to blatantly staring at him when he’s concentrating on a book, lost in his own world. It became a habit for Luhan just how it became his habit to take note of Minseok’s every facial expression, his likes and dislikes, his favorite clothes, his favorite food  and down to every minutest detail about Minseok. Looking at Minseok has became a daily habit he cannot stop, and he really does not want to even if given the choice.

It’s their junior year when Luhan realizes what this habit is called. It’s pretty much the habit of someone who has fallen deeply in love if books and movies are good references. Luhan does not even try to deny it to himself and he’s much surprised how he accepted so easily that he likes another man. He does not deny it because it’s futile. He’s in too deep and he knows there’s no way out. 

His daily schedule includes meeting with Minseok at the bus stop so they could go to school together, helping each other complete notes for subjects they’re not that too enthusiastic at, going to the library for some quiet time (sometimes even napping time for Luhan but never for Minseok) and even going home together. Luhan even drops by Minseok’s house from time to time to hang out.

But Luhan insists to himself that they are not best friends. He refuses to acknowledge such title because he knows he wants to be more than that. Yet he settles for the “best friend” title because it’s the most he could have for now. For now, Luhan chants in his mind.

He begins to question that label when they began to act closer. It’s not that they do intimate or romantic things but Luhan knows that some things they do can be questionable to the eyes of other people. Even their friends give them weird looks whenever they eat together at the cafeteria.

Luhan begins to seriously test their boundaries came senior year. Luhan initiates more skinship with the elder. He pinches his cheeks more, he links their arms when they are walking in the hallways and he sometimes feeds Minseok with his own utensils. His attention is pretty much on Minseok the whole day. He does not tell Minseok but he hopes that the older male somehow gets the hint. These were Luhan’s ways of wooing Kim Minseok. Though unofficially because he’s clueless whether the one he’s wooing knows or not.

Months passed and their friends got used to their new set-up. They don’t give Luhan weird glances and smirks whenever he does something for Minseok and he’s somehow grateful because he’s worried Minseok will notice the teasing tones and looks from their friends. He definitely do not want to convey his feelings through that way.

They were in the library during their break and Luhan was resting his chin on his spread hands on the table. He's staring at Minseok who’s typing furiously on his laptop. If Minseok feels weirded out by his staring, he does not say anything.

Luhan’s stare was broken when the older boy slides his chair backwards to stand.

“Where are you going?” Luhan questions, about to stand to come with Minseok.

“No, stay here with our things. I’m just gonna get this book I need for reference,” Minseok says.

“I’ll get it for you?” Luhan offers.

“Nah, I’ll be fast,” Minseok says as he makes his way towards the shelves just a few steps away from their table.

Luhan sits again and resumes his former position despite the absence of his apple of the eye. Minseok took a few good minutes before returning, two books in hand. He immediately browses the books once seated and starts typing again, glancing at the opened page from time to time. 

Luhan looks at him diligently. Yeah, some habits are really hard to break especially if they’re good for your heart.