Sungmin

Hyung

“Give us $10 million dollars and you can have your son back.” The kidnapper told the elder Cho.

“We will give you whatever you want just give us back my grandson.”

“Okay, I will email you the address but make sure not to tell the police or else you will not see your grandson anymore.”

“I promise. Don’t hurt him. Don’t hurt my Kyuhyun.”

 

That night, the father of Kyuhyun went to the place the kidnapper told them together with the money. He called back-up police just to make sure. He does not want to risk his or his son’s life. “Yah! Where are you?!”

“Hello, Mr. Cho.”

“You?!” It turned out that it was his mother’s secretary who’s behind all of this. “Where is my son? Where is Kyuhyun? I got your money; give me back my son now.”

“Tsk tsk, seems like you forgot something about our deal. I told you to not tell the police, but look what you’ve done. You can all go out now, officers!”

The police came out from their hideouts and point their gun to the kidnapper. “Where is my son?!” Kyuhyun's father shouted again.

“I already told you. Once you told the police, then say goodbye to your son. You will never find him ever again! Hahahahaha!” He laughed manically and shot himself with a gun.

“No! You bastard! Search the area and look for my son! You’re not allowed to die yet! You have to give my son back first!”

 


 

Ever since that day, the Cho’s household became dark and gloomy. Kyuhyun’s mother became depressed, closing to all the people around her. She can’t accept that her only son was now gone. Her mother-in-law seeing this had thought of an idea. She went to an orphanage to look for a substitute to her grandson. And there she saw Lee Sungmin, a 5-year-old abandoned kid. She can see a bright future with the kid so she decided to take him home.

But the outcome was not what she had expected. Her daughter-in-law started talking, but in a mean way. She became cruel to Sungmin, telling the kid that he’s not needed.

“You! You go back where you came from! I don’t want you here. We don’t need you here. I only want my son!”

“Hana! Don’t talk to him like that! He is just a kid! What does he know? Sungmin-ah, go to your room first, okay? Wait for me there.”

 

 

“How could you mother. Kyuhyun’s only gone for months; it’s not even a year since that guy took him away. How could you replace your only grandson with that kid?! What if we found my son, huh? What will you do to Sungmin? Will you bring him back to the orphanage? You are crueler than me, hurting an innocent child and using him as a substitute for your lost grandson.”

“Don’t you dare question my decision, Sungmin will stay here until I want him to. And don’t you ever say mean things to him again.”

“Huh, so you love that bastard more than my son now?!” A slap was heard inside the room.

“Shut up. Know your place here, Hana.”

 

Little did they know, the small Sungmin have been listening to their conversation. The words keep on replaying on his young mind. Substitute. Unwanted. Bastard. Replacement. He will be thrown away the moment that Kyuhyun will be found again. ‘How I wish he will never be found again.’ He said on his mind, he knows it was wrong but he doesn’t want to lose what he has now; finally, a family he longed to yearn for.

 


 

“Am I a bother to you, Ma’am?” Sungmin asked Mrs. Cho.

“Why’d you think like that? Of course not.”

“But Madam Hana doesn’t want me here. It was only you and the servants who treat me well. I feel like I am unwanted.”

“Honey, don’t you ever think like that. I want you here, I need you here.”

 

“But… am I really only a replacement of that Kyuhyun?” Sungmin asked in a small voice.

 

If the older was surprised, she didn’t let it show. “Come here.” Sungmin went to her side. “Where did you hear that?”

“I am sorry Ma’am, but I kind of ear dropped to you and Madam Hana’s conversation the other night.”

“Sungmin, whatever she said, don’t believe her. You are not a replacement of anyone; you are Lee Sungmin, my child. And please, stop calling me Ma’am. You are my family and not an employee.”

“Okay, but what will I call you then?”

“Grandma, call me grandma.”

“Grandma? That sounds good. But can I call Mister Younghwan as daddy and Madam Hana as mommy?”

She was taken aback by the child’s inquiry, “Well, about that, I do not know. We will ask them, okay? For now, sleep first.”

“Hm.. okay. Goodnight, grandma.”

“Goodnight, Sungmin, son.”

 

 

And the kid went upstairs to his room. He passed by Kyuhyun’s room and saw that the door was ajar. He slipped in and saw Madam Hana hugging the clothes of Kyuhyun. “Madam, are you alright?”

Hana turned around to look at him and glare, “Who gave you the permission to go in here? Get out of the room now; get out of my son’s room now!”

“Sorry. I just wanted to say good night.” Sungmin muttered. ‘I guess I can’t call you mommy then.’

 


 

Time passed by and Sungmin was on his last year in high school. It’s been 13 years since he was living with the Cho family. Well, he can’t say that he lived a happy life, but not a miserable one. His grandma had treated him well, Mister Younghwan also smiles at his direction whenever their eyes will meet or when they'll bumped to each other on the hallway. One thing that also didn’t changed was the treatment of Madam Hana to him. She was still saying mean things to him, but as time passed by, Sungmin learned how to ignore her. Though he still felt guilty for his wish before, he felt sad for his grandma, he can feel that she still want her own grandson to be there instead of him. There are things that he cannot give the old woman that he felt sad. ‘I wish that she can still see her grandson before she bids goodbye to the world.’ He’s not that selfish. He genuinely loved the old woman who took care of him, and he was willing to give back what he has right now. It was not his in the first place; he just borrowed Kyuhyun’s family. And time will come, Kyuhyun will take back what is rightfully his.

 

 

He knows he wished for Kyuhyun to be found, but not that soon. A week after, Mister Younghwan came back with a boy next to him, a lanky, nerd-looking boy that is probably younger than him but taller and was introduced as Kyuhyun. Madam Hana broken down into tears as he hugged his long lost son, and soon Mister Younghwan joined in the family group hug. He was standing beside his grandma and he can see how the old woman was crying in joy. He can feel a lump on his throat as his heart constrict with the thought ‘Looks like I am not needed here anymore.’

 

 

It was weeks before Christmas when Kyuhyun was found. He lived a life in an orphanage in a remote island of South Korea. He’s a bright student, lacking in sports division, but a funny and lively guy. The gloomy and dark mansion before was now filled with laughter as the family often have a get-together just to catch up the years they are not able to spend with each other. He was like inexistent anymore. Madam Hana does not pick on him anymore, Mister Younghwan was now focused with their business, and his grandma was now often hanging out with Kyuhyun.

 


 

“So, are you sure with your decision?” Yesung, his best friend in high school, asked him.

“Yeah, it was long decided way before he was found. It just needed to be fulfilled.”

“I will miss you, though.”

“I will miss you, too.” Sungmin smiled back to him. Yesung pats him on the back as a console.

 


 

“Sungmin, son, come here.” As soon as Sungmin came back home, he saw his grandma and Kyuhyun chatting in the living room.

“Yes?” He stopped himself from calling her grandma for he felt that he is not allowed anymore. She’s not his grandma anymore. Or was she ever became his grandma?

“I realized that both you and Kyuhyun were not yet formally introduced to each other. Kyuhyun, this is your Sungmin-hyung. Sungmin, this is your dongsaeng Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun smiled brightly to his direction. “Hello, hyung! Nice to finally formally meet you.”

“Yeah, hi. Me too.”

“Sungmin,” he turned to the old woman “I want you to hang out and tour Kyuhyun to the city during your winter break. I am aged to do that with him.”

“I will do my best, Ma’am.”

Realization was evident on her eyes, “Sungmin, I—”

“I’m going up first. Have a good day.” He bowed to them then went upstairs.

 

 

He was thinking that night, planning where to go and counting the money he has saved during his stay with the care of Cho’s. He knows that it may look like he is an ungrateful bastard for leaving them after taking him in but it was what he was supposed to do.

 

A knock was heard and his grandma peeked at the opened door. “Sungmin, can we talk?”

“Yes, you may come in. what is it, Ma—” his words were cut as he saw the flashes of hurt on the old woman’s eyes, on the old woman he owes his life to. He felt a heavy guilt on his chest.

“I thought we had agreed long time before to not call me like that?”

“I’m sorry.” He suddenly felt sad; tears were forming on his eyes. He felt sorry, he can’t do it. He can’t leave this household he considered as his.

“Yeah, you should be sorry.” Sungmin felt more guilt with her words. “I noticed that you often lock yourself here in your room ever since Kyuhyun was found.”

“I—I just feel insecure, grandma.”

“What are you being insecure of?”

“He is your real grandson while I am a mere substitute.”

The old woman pursed her lips into a thin line, a sign of displease. “Sungmin…”

“Sorry, but I just can’t help it. I do not hate you or Kyuhyun or his parents, it was me who I hate. I am not supposed to feel like this, I have no right to be upset. All of this was his; he was just taking back what is his.”

“Sungmin, come here son.” The older pats her lap, silently instructing Sungmin to lay his head on it, “Do not think that way. Do you think Kyuhyun will be happy if he will ever learn that you felt like that? You are both my grandsons. I love you both. None is having more or less; you both have rights in this house. You are a family too, we are a family.”

“Thank you, grandma. I am also sorry for thinking that way.”

The old woman just hummed and run her finger on the younger’s hair. She still felt disturbed, like something wrong will happen soon.

 


 

Kyuhyun was enrolled on his high school and he will start right after the winter break. Sungmin was told to tour Kyuhyun around the city, for him to be familiarized. He found out that the boy was talkative and loud but not to the point of being annoying. He was amazed with everything; he keeps on comparing the life in the province. Sungmin felt guilty, he was mad at himself for thinking bad about Kyuhyun. The kid was simple, he was happy even with the smallest thing, he was amazed easily. He felt happy every time Kyuhyun will send him smiles, like he was a big ball of sunshine, no problems at all, just like a kid he really is.

In two weeks, Kyuhyun became clingier to him. Sneaking in to his room every night to sleep together, always asking him to play with him, offering him to eat together, or sometimes cuddling together. But the most favorite of the younger was to sleep on his chest while hugging his waist, with him running his finger tips on his hair. Like what a hyung do to his dongsaeng. “I love you, Sungmin-hyung.

 

Also, after a week of hanging out together, Kyuhyun started telling him ‘I love you’. It may be innocent for Kyuhyun, but not for Sungmin. He is a human too, specifically a teenager having the need to feel love. During first times, Sungmin will become stiff but as he observed how Kyuhyun will be after his confessions, Sungmin thought that it was only normal for the younger to say those words. ‘Maybe because he sees me as his real brother’, Sungmin thought it well and later on just answer the confessions with a hum or sometimes a smile and a hug. He can’t say the word back yet, he still feels guilty with all the false accusations he thought of before.

 


 

He introduced Kyuhyun to his best friend, Yesung, a day before Christmas. “Kyuhyun, this is my best friend Yesung. Yesunggie, this is my dongsaeng Kyuhyun.”

“Hello! You can call me Yesung-hyung, if you want.” The man offered his hand for a shake but it took time before Kyuhyun accepted it.

“It’s nice to meet you Yesung-hyung. I’m Kyuhyun.”

The whole day they hang out, Kyuhyun was silent. Sungmin knows that there’s something bothering the younger and he will have his way to know what it is.

 

After sending Yesung home, the two who were inside the car’s back seat were silent. It was new because the two will always be loud especially Kyuhyun, telling his hyung his discoveries or some random things. Sungmin was contemplating if he should ask him now but decided that it can wait until they get home.

 

Kyuhyun went straight to his hyung’s room and lay down on the bed. “Hey, what’s wrong? Are you sick?” Sungmin went to his side and massaged his scalp.

Kyuhyun turned over him and pulled him to also lie on the bed; he then put his head on Sungmin’s chest and hugged his waist like the usual. “Hyung..

“Oh?”

It takes time for Kyuhyun to answer. “Nothing.... I love you.”

He knows that it’s not only nothing but decided to brush it off, Kyuhyun will tell him if he wants to. “I know.”

 


 

Christmas passed by like a blur. Their grandma held a party and introduced Kyuhyun to the public, telling them the hardships they went through just to find him and thanking all the people who helped them and uttered a prayer for blessings that year. He made sure not to stay by the younger’s side, the limelight was on Kyuhyun plus Madam Hana was with her, going from table to table and boasting him to her friends. He just hanged out with Yesung who was invited with his family. He will sometimes look at Kyuhyun’s direction and notice how the younger’s brows were knotted, for what reason, he have no idea.

“Are you still gonna do it, Min?”

“Yes, I have to. Yesung, I trust you on this. Please take care of the kid in behalf of me.” He put his hand on Yesung’s that was lying on the table.

“I will try, Min.” Yesung squeezed his hand.

“Thank you.” And he squeezed back before looking to Kyuhyun again, now finding him looking at their connected hands then to his eyes. Kyuhyun just looked blankly on him.

“Oops! Someone is jealous.”

“What?”

“Kyuhyun is jealous. Looks like I will have a hard time taking care of him.”

“What are you saying, don’t be silly.” Yesung just laughed and offered him a toast. ‘He is my brother, why would he be jealous. Silly, Yesung.’

 


 

It was the end of the year when Sungmin flew away from their home together with his few clothes, personal belongings, his ticket and some money he has saved. He left all the things his grandma gave to him together with a letter expressing his gratitude and apologies, to Ma’am Cho, to Kyuhyun, to Madam Hana and Mister Younghwan.

 

“Are you sure with this? You know, you can still back out.”

“No, I have to do this.”

“Have you talked with Kyuhyun, anyway?”

 

Ever since the Christmas party, Kyuhyun had become a brat. He was always being grumpy and childish, asking him to choose between him and Yesung. It was so childish, because why would he choose, really. So to end it all, he chose Yesung. Their friendship is much longer and stronger than what he had with Kyuhyun. The younger must have held grudge on him and totally ignore him for the rest of the week and now until he’s going away. “No, he was still a brat, ignoring me and all.” Releasing a sigh, he already felt sorry for Yesung.

“I think it is not a good idea to leave without talking to him, you know?”

“It’s better this way. At least, it will hurt less.”

“If you insist.”

“We are calling the attention of all the passengers of flight 137 going to Paris, France. Please proceed to gate 15. Again, we are calling the attention of all the passengers of flight 137 going to Paris, France. Please proceed to gate 15. Thank you.”

“That’s my flight. I better go now.”

“Come here,” Sungmin let himself be enveloped by Yesung’s warm hug, “Always take care of yourself when you are there. Contact me immediately when you landed, okay?”

“Hmm… I will. Thank you, Yesunggie.”

Yesung kissed his forehead and mutter a “No need, I am your best friend. I love you, Min.”

“And I love you, too. Good bye, Yesung.”

“Silly, don’t say good bye. Say ‘until next time’”

“Haha. Okay. Until next time then, my friend.” And Sungmin his heels, this is it!

 

"Ah, by the way! Happy 19th birthday, Lee Sungmin! I'll give my gift to you next time!"

Yes and thank you was sent to Yesung's direction before he entered the gates leading him the new life that waits for him.

''Fighting, Lee Sungmin!"