three

Say Something

For after that, it had felt like Seunghyun had given up. Choosing to spend more and more time at work than at home. Work where his lovely, beautiful co-star always seemed to be present with a sympathetic ear.

Dara gritted her teeth at where her thoughts had once again led. Seunghyun wouldn't cheat on her. She knew he wouldn't hurt her like that. But recently, her thoughts seemed to stray to that to that parasitic thought more often than not.

It was the only excuse she could blame because she definitely wasn't ready to accept the possibility that Seunghyun didn't love her anymore.

A few seconds later, Dara heard the bedroom door open. Immediately, she turned her body away from the door. Away from Seunghyun's side of the bed.

She heard him creep into the room, trying to be silent so he wouldn't wake her. Dara listened to his every moment while keeping the sobs at bay. It wouldn’t do for her to cry now. Not now.

When he finally slipped into the bed, she tightened her hand on the duvet.

"It's late," she said quietly.

She heard Seunghyun's breathing hitch as he realized she was awake.

"You're awake," he stated unnecessarily.

"Mmm."

"…I had a lot of work to do."

"You didn't call. I was worried," she said, wanting Seunghyun to feel guilty.

"I'm sorry. I forgot."

"Are you going to be late tomorrow?"

"...Probably. Don't wait up for me; I know you have an early start on Friday."

Dara didn't say anything for a few seconds.

"Are you happy?" she asked him as she stared into the still darkness of the room. She didn't dare look at him, in fear that she see something that would further break her heart.

He didn't reply for a moment before wearily giving his answer. "No. Are you?"

For once crazy moment, Dara considered saying Yes. "No," she finally said truthfully.

Once again their admission settled in between them. A heavy compression that seemed to press down on Dara's chest until she couldn't take in a full breath of air.

"Do you love me?" Dara whispered before immediately regretting it.

"…Yes."

And then Dara knew. Tears immediately gathered in the corner of her eyes and she carefully made small movements so that she could discreetly wipe them away with the corner of the duvet.

Her husband may still love her…but he wasn't in love with her. Not anymore.


word count: 408