iii

To Find a Meaning

Myungsoo stood there bashfully, like a misplaced needle in a haystack. His knuckles hovered an inch from the door, while he debated the prospect of introducing himself to the girl.

He knew very well that by obsessing over this girl and her garden, he had already crossed a line. No stopping now.

The two knocks to the door were quick and hollow. The house itself was phonetic enough for Myungsoo to hear a series of shuffles before she opened the door. And when he realized the density of what he had just done he considered getting out of there right away. But he stood there, frozen, and part of him knew this was what he had waited for all his life. 

And there she was, in her most exposed and vulnerable state- shocked and surprised to see a stranger at her doorstep. He himself experienced a moment of euphoria, an almost unreal experience of vertigo that he thought he might faint right then and there. And when he looked at her eyes for the first time, he realized she might have felt the same thing.

"Hello," she said. Then a pause- Myungsoo momentarily realized that his impulsive endeavor was ill-planned. And sort of creepy.

"Er- hello, my name is Myungsoo. I live next door. Pleased to meet you," he stammered, extending his hand.

"Sooji- nice to meet you.." she said, taking his hand and owing it a polite jostle. She could sense the weight of the air, and she noticed that her new acquaintance was nervous. She thought it was charming, in that I-have-no-idea-what-I'm-doing-but-I'm-being-sincere type of way. She didn't want to neglect decorum, so she decided to peruse conversation.

"So how long have you been a resident in this neighborhood?" At these words a light seemed to spark in Myungsoo, as if he was prepared to answer this question his entire life.

"About five years now. I moved in when I started my first term at university," he said. "And it seems that now I have a new neighbor.." Myungsoo was entertained by the sudden spark of casual conversation. Silently his thoughts were racing, and his emotions were rabid.

"it seems so... I used to live here a long time ago," she said. Reminded of her parents when she had resolved not to think about them, Sooji's mood was dampened. Myungsoo could tell that by bringing up the past Sooji had somehow been upset. So he decided not to ask.

"Well if you need some help with the move I am happy to lend a hand," Myungsoo said, diverging from the melancholy topic.

"That's kind of you, thanks, but I think I'm good for now. I have the next five years." Myungsoo sensed the sarcasm and chuckled. Sooji was always one to lighten the atmosphere, even after it was herself who had made it negative in the first place. After a second of improvised silence the two silently agreed that it was appropriate to part.

"Okay, well it was nice meeting you, Sooji," Myungsoo said with a nod and a smile.


He inched away- bashfully, as if he inched away in the same manner he entered. And in that moment with every inch he parted he wished he had a second longer. He couldn't explain the magnetizing aura that was her and her curiosities. He genuinely looked forward to knowing her.