Moonrise

Lonely Beauty (On Hiatus)

Word Count: ~5.4 k

 

“Do you believe in vampires?” Kyungsoo asked Baekhyun casually as the two of them studied. Classes were back in session and Kyungsoo was regretting having signed up for two semesters of this hellish variety of physics. The red-haired boy froze for a second.

“Not particularly, no. Why?” There was something about his tone of voice that made Kyungsoo suspect that there was something his friends was hiding.

“No reason. We’re just studying European history and vampires came up in Romanian mythology,” he replied, not mentioning that there was an ancient vampire who was in love with him.

“Do you believe in vampires?” Baekhyun asked.

“It doesn’t seem totally impossible,” Kyungsoo replied ambiguously. Baekhyun looked like he wanted to say something but in the end, decided against it. “Sorry, that was a stupid question. Forget I asked it,” Kyungsoo smiled benignly to solidify his point. Baekhyun replied with a worried look. The boy was definitely hiding something from Kyungsoo but Kyungsoo was determined to find out what exactly it was that Baekhyun knew and wasn’t letting on about.

“Right. Let’s just get back to this physics,” Baekhyun said, opening the book to the next chapter. Kyungsoo pulled a face at the textbook despite the fact that it was not the textbook’s fault but in fact his that he was suffering so much for the class. He sighed, wondering which would be more useful, planting his face firmly in the book or actually reading the content.

“Hey, after we finish up here, do you want to catch dinner or something as a reward for us studying so hard?”

“Sorry Soo. I’ve got to mind this new cat my parents got because they’re out of town. I’m temporarily staying with them because my flat is getting renovated and this is the trade-off,” Baekhyun replied sadly. “Maybe next week.”

“I could help you,” Kyungsoo suggested.

“No. I’m fine,” Baekhyun replied a little too quickly.

“Are you seeing someone? You’re always doing this, well more like once a month. Or do you watch soap operas? It’s really nothing to be ashamed of, but you could always record it and watch it later and spend time with your best friend.”

“No! It’s nothing weird like that. I don’t watch weird soap operas or have a girlfriend to meet up with. I’m not seeing a guy either,” he added before Kyungsoo could ask. “It’s just some family stuff,” Baekhyun said firmly.

 

--

 

Kyungsoo was sitting alone at home, channel surfing to avoid his European history homework. He looked out the window, sighing, when he noticed that it was a full moon. He remembered something from another region they were studying. They believed in werewolves, who turned into wolves at the full moon. Kyungsoo racked his brain and it dawned on him that Baekhyun did always seem to be busy at the full moon. That was probably just a coincidence, though. Werewolves couldn’t possibly exist and if they did, Kyungsoo’s best friend couldn't possibly be one if they did exist.

Kyungsoo just wanted to confirm it for his own peace of mind. Kyungsoo decided that he would go over to his friend’s house, just to make sure that his best friend was indeed human. If vampires really did exist, it wasn’t a huge leap to presume that werewolves were real too.

“Well, I do still have Baekhyun’s notebook. I guess I just forgot to return it to him today,” Kyungsoo said to his empty flat, more to justify his actions to himself than anything. “I’ll just swing by tonight.” He was already pulling his jumper on by this point. “I’ll just be there for a minute and then I’ll leave. I’ll just check on him quickly while I’m there. But I’m sure he’s fine,” Kyungsoo continued to the empty room.

 

--

 

Kyungsoo walked across the park where he first encountered Jongin and the other two, Jongdae and Yixing or something akin to that. Baekhyun lived on the other side of the park, a few blocks south of where Joonmyun lived. As Kyungsoo was walking down the path, someone or something caught his eye and that something was quickly approaching. From the shadow of the thing, Kyungsoo suspected it was simply a dog, as there couldn’t possibly be any sort of wolves living in the city.

As the thing approached, Kyungsoo began to doubt whether it was merely a dog. This creature had glowing amber eyes and a lean but well muscled build. Its fur was thick, much thicker than any dog Kyungsoo had ever seen. Despite this, something about the dog seemed unsettlingly familiar. Because of this, Kyungsoo decided to invite the dog into the influence of the lamplight.

“Come here doggie,” he called. Joonmyun and Baekhyun would kill him if they ever found out that he had been stupid enough to call out to a feral dog that may or may not possess rabies or some other disease. “Come here. No need to be afraid,” he repeated. The dog blinked, once, twice before slowly approaching. It stopped just outside the pool of light. Kyungsoo began to approach and the dog twitched, as if debating whether to stay or whether to run. It decided to stay and see what the stupid human would do next.

Kyungsoo kneeled in front of it and stretched out his hand for the dog to sniff. After deeming Kyungsoo safe, the dog, no wolf, came into the light. The wolf’s fur was the same colour of red that Baekhyun so liked to dye his hair. He sat down and let Kyungsoo pet him.

“You remind me of someone I know,” Kyungsoo told the wolf for no apparent reason. The wolf cocked his head to one side and looked as if he were listening. “He’s my best friend and physics tutor,” Kyungsoo continued. The wolf’s ears twitched and he stood up, as if he more than understood what the boy had just said. “His name is Baekhyun.” At the sound of the name, the wolf looked like it recognised the name and tucked his tail in and flattened his ears. “What’s wrong?” The wolf shook its head before backing away and bounding off, toward Baekhyun’s house.

 

--

 

--

 

Kyungsoo was now really doubting his friend’s species, whether he was truly human or whether he was a werewolf. As he ran after the wolf he tried to convince himself that it would be preposterous for werewolves to exist, but as he was trying to deny their existence, he kept thinking of the three vampires, Yixing, Jongdae, and Jongin. Their existences should be preposterous as well, and yet, here they were. Kyungsoo just wanted to convince himself that his friend couldn’t be a werewolf and if he were, he couldn’t have kept this secret from his best friend for all this time. It just couldn’t have happened. Kyungsoo didn’t want to admit that his life was being inverted. He was noticing things, like the fact that his best friend skipped out on him every full moon.

 

When Kyungsoo finally reached Baekhyun’s house, he found that same wolf pawing desperately at the house. His ears perked and he looked toward the source of footsteps, Kyungsoo’s footsteps. He looked genuinely terrified and ran around the back of the house, easily jumping over the fence. Kyungsoo walked up to the door and tapped on it lightly a couple times before Mrs. Byun came to the door.

“Oh, hello Kyungsoo! What are you doing here?” she inquired politely.

“I was just here to return a notebook that Baekhyun lent me for Physics. I thought he might want it to study for the test and I forgot to give it back to him after class. Did you get back early?”

“Oh yes. We got back this morning,” she replied brightly.

“Is Baekhyun here?”

“No. I think he said something about staying with his friends Chanyeol and Yifan tonight,” she replied.

“He told me that he would be minding the cat at home...” Kyungsoo said slowly.

“Perhaps it was a change of plans on short notice,” she replied amiably. “He does that sometimes, going off with Chanyeol and Yifan.” Kyungsoo guessed that she was oblivious to the fact that her son was a werewolf. No, Kyungsoo just assumed that he was a werewolf. It would be perfectly reasonable to not assume that his best friend got furry and grew a tail once a lunar cycle.

Mrs. Byun appeared to hear something at the other end of the house. “Excuse me, I think that stray dog is at the door again. Please come in and make yourself at home. You can go up to Baekhyun’s room and just leave the notebook on his desk if you want. It’s up the stairs and the first door on the left,” she invited brightly. Kyungsoo bowed and came in, making sure to take his shoes off.

That was when he noticed that Baekhyun’s shoes were still there. How could Mrs. Byun have not noticed that? Kyungsoo shook his head. He headed up the stairs to Baekhyun’s room. The cat was sitting at the end of the hallway, staring intently at Kyungsoo as if it were trying to tell him something, something lost on the owl-eyed boy.

Baekhyun’s room was immaculate and his desk was clean as well. Kyungsoo looked around for something to either prove that he was imagining werewolves existing or that his friend had been hiding a huge secret from him the whole time they had known one another. There wasn’t a huge sign on one of the walls saying, “I’m secretly a werewolf,” so Kyungsoo was at a loss. The only thing he did know was that Baekhyun wasn’t telling the truth; he was hiding something.

The owl-eyed boy placed the notebook neatly in the middle of the desk before heading back out and downstairs. The cat’s eyes followed him as he went but that aside, the cat itself didn’t move a muscle. Kyungsoo found the stray “dog” sitting patiently in front of Mrs. Byun and staring intently into her eyes. There was some silent thing passing between the two of them.

“I’ll just be leaving then,” Kyungsoo called to Mrs Byun from the door.

“Have a good evening dear,” she called back dreamily. There was certainly something up with that “dog” and Kyungsoo was determined to find out what it was. He’d question his friend about it tomorrow certainly, he thought to himself.

Crossing the park seemed even more dangerous tonight. He didn’t know why he continued to feel the need to cross the dangerous place. There were vampires and apparently werewolves lurking around. Did he just have some sick addiction to supernatural danger? He sighed and stuffed his hands in his pockets, hurrying across the park to get home as soon as possible.

 

He unlocked the door to his flat with a soft click and stepped inside. Just before he closed the door behind himself, a streak of red fur had passed by and was now sitting in front of him. It was the wolf he had met in the park, the stray dog as Mrs. Byun called it.

“What are you? You’re not a vampire. They said there were only three in the country at the moment. Are you a werewolf? You seem to react when I talk about my friend Baekhyun so either you know him or you are him. I didn’t believe in werewolves or vampires in the past but then I met a vampire and now I’m pretty damned sure that you’re a werewolf. Are you going to come clean about it or what?”

The wolf gave him a Baekhyun level sassy look as if to say, ‘How can I tell you? I’m a dog and dogs can’t talk you idiot.’

“I know you can’t talk but you probably have a way of telling me. Wait. I’m carrying on a conversation with a dog. What the hell is wrong with me?”

The wolf replied with a sceptical look and an almost annoyed tail flick. “We both know that you want to ask me something so go ahead and ask it for god’s sake,” the wolf seemed to say.

“Are you a werewolf?” The dog blinked once. ‘Yes.’ “Do I know you?” The dog blinked again. “Is your name Byun Baekhyun?” Another blink. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier!?”

‘You wouldn’t have believed me,’ the wolf implied with a sassy eye roll.

“I guess that’s true... So can you tell me about your werewolf world?”

‘Why do you want to know?’ The dog cocked his head to one side.

“I guess I kind of want to know what world my best friend lives in.”

‘I’ll tell you later if you remember,’ his eyes said.

“What do you mean if I remember? Are you going to screw with my head just like the vampires? I don’t like having my head screwed with!” he groaned.

‘You met the vampires?’ Baekhyun’s ears lay flat against his head.

“What of it?”

‘We don’t like vampires.’

“And why not?”

‘There’s an interspecies grudge between us and them.’ Kyungsoo was wondering how he understood the wolf, but only vaguely.

“Well you two are really similar. You’re creatures of the night and you hide yourselves by screwing with people’s heads.”

‘We are nothing like those bloodsuckers! We don’t go after humans.’

“Doesn’t change the fact that you screw with people’s heads.”

‘It’s to keep safe.’

“And how is that?”

‘If anyone found out about us, we’d be put in cages and have experiments run on us. Because of that, I’m going to have to make you forget all this stuff. Yifan would kill me if he found out that I told you any of this. I even have to keep my mother in the dark about it.’

“Oh and how are you going to make me forget? I doubt you have the special vampire electricity abilities.”

‘We have other ways of doing things.’ Baekhyun’s eyes began to glow; well they began to sparkle with little dancing flames. ‘We don’t screw with people’s minds as much as the vampires, just think of it as hypnosis or the power of suggestion. I suggest that you just go off to bed and forget that this ever happened. In reality, you gave me back my notebook just after class instead of coming after me after school. You don’t believe any of this werewolf nonsense because it’s absolutely absurd.’

Kyungsoo nodded slowly as his mind went blank. It was like everything inside his brain had been padded with cotton candy and he couldn’t fight his way out. The more he struggled, the worse it got until finally his mind resigned and sunk down into it.

‘Now off you go and remember to lock the door after me.’ Kyungsoo nodded again and made sure to follow the wolf’s instructions. The whole day from Physics class was coated in cotton candy and Kyungsoo couldn’t quite remember any of it and when he tried to access the information, he entered a fog that he could make neither heads nor tails of. One thing he did know, however, was the physics that they were learning in class. Baekhyun had done that as a sort of apology for erasing the other information about himself. Kyungsoo woke up the next morning with an understanding of electricity and magnetism.

 

--

 

--

 

Once again, he woke up with a feeling that an afternoon had happened and he couldn’t remember. He didn’t remember going to bed or the time after classes. There was something that he was forgetting and it had something to do with Baekhyun. He’d have to ask later. It definitely felt like someone had been screwing around with his memories again but the vampires had promised that they wouldn’t do that again.

He pouted at his breakfast as if that were the source of his memory loss and if he glared at it long enough, he would suddenly remember what had happened and he’d be able to clear the pink, cobweb-like fluff padding the scenery. The other thing that baffled him was that he had a firm understanding of electricity and magnetism. He couldn’t remember knowing that yesterday, in fact, his knowledge of physics was rubbish at best.

He began to angrily eat, although that wouldn’t make things any better. Once he was done, he washed his dishes a little less viciously before setting them on the drying rack carefully. He wondered whether he should try talking to Jongin about it but something told him that he shouldn’t trust this information with a vampire, even Jongin. He vaguely wondered where the thought had come from but it was more sitting at the back of his mind than anything. He could always talk to Joonmyun but Joonmyun wouldn’t really understand and Kyungsoo promised the vampires that he wouldn’t tell anyone about them and their existence. It was quite the conundrum. He’d just ask Baekhyun.

 

“Why don’t vampires and werewolves get along with one another?” Kyungsoo mused out loud as they ate lunch before physics. There was a notable tensing of every muscle in Baekhyun’s body.

“What do you mean by that?” he asked, throat suddenly dry.

“I don’t know. I just had the thought. I feel like I was supposed to ask that a while back and just forgot.”

“You were supposed to forget,” he muttered too quietly for Kyungsoo to hear.

“Sorry?”

“I’ll tell you later.”

“That’s what you said last time,” he blurted, not knowing where it had come from. Baekhyun looked at him with an expression of horror crossed with confusion.

“How do you remember?”

“I don’t really remember, it’s just a feeling.”

“Is this why you know about the vampires?” he asked in a hushed whisper.

“Yeah. Apparently they couldn’t do a proper mind wipe on me or something so I had little bits of the story so they told me the rest.” Baekhyun pulled back a corner of his mouth in thought.

“Apparently you’re immune to supernatural beings to a degree, not as much as we are to one another but you have some innate resistance. Yifan and Chanyeol are going to flay me alive and hang my pelt on their wall,” he said miserably.

“I won’t let them do that to you!” Kyungsoo stated flatly. “You’re my best friend. I won’t let this Yifan or Chanyeol hurt you.” Baekhyun looked more concerned than assured.

“We’ll have to wait for night to fall. Yifan hates doing business like this during the day. The one thing is that it’s the full moon, so we’ll all be forced into wolf form. You’ll be having a conversation with a bunch of dogs. We can still communicate perfectly fine but it will probably seem weird to you.”

“I’m having a conversation about vampires and werewolves during the full moon with a pack of wolves. I don’t think that it can get much weirder than that.”

“Okay. I’ll pick you up tonight at your flat and then take you to the pack.”

 

Night fell and it was 10:00 when Baekhyun finally scratched at the door. Kyungsoo had been sitting on the sofa and nearly tipped the thing over in his haste to get up and get the door.

“I hope you didn’t do any damage to the paint on the door,” Kyungsoo looked down at the fluffy wolf whose tail was sweeping slowly from side to side. The wolf eyed him sceptically.

‘What reason do I have to damage your door?’

“I don’t know. Those claws are long. Perhaps you don’t know your own strength or something.”

‘I know my own strength quite well but I’ll tell you all about it later. I’ll tell you about it all later. Well I’ll actually leave it to Yifan.’ The wolf appeared to shiver. ‘Let’s just go then.’

“How am I talking to you?” Kyungsoo wondered out loud as they walked.

Baekhyun looked over at him. ‘It’s our hypnosis. We can project our thoughts into other people when they make eye contact.’

“So if you don’t have electricity based mind control powers, what are yours based on?”

‘Our element is fire. It’s using the power of mesmerising dancing flames. It works as an excellent hypnotising medium.’

“Sounds like you do a lot less damage than physically screwing with the synapses like the vampires do.”

‘Why are you constantly comparing us to them?’

“I met them first and they’re kind of like a point of reference in the supernatural world. Speaking of which, what other sorts live in your world? Are there gremlins?”

‘Don’t be ridiculous. Gremlins don’t exist.’

“Of course,” Kyungsoo replied sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

‘There are werewolves, vampires, witches and wizards, shape shifters and animal hybrids, and sibyls.’

“But no gremlins?”

‘Nope.’

“How long have you been a werewolf?”

“Only for a couple of years, but most of the others have been werewolves for all of their lives.”

“And how long is a werewolf life?”

“That’s something thing that Yifan will explain. We’re here.”

 

--

 

At some point, they had entered a forest but Kyungsoo couldn’t remember when the concrete gave way to dirt, all he knew was that they were emerging into a clearing, illuminated by bright moonlight pouring in through the gap in the foliage. Baekhyun howled and then pricked his ears. After a slight pause, there was an answering howl. Suddenly glowing eyes of various colours began to appear just beyond the reach of the moonlight, in the thickets on the other side of the clearing. Kyungsoo counted seven pairs of eyes but he was sure that there were even more wolves out of sight.

A pair of golden eyes directly ahead of them began to approach and the wolf stepped into the light. He was gigantic; almost the side of a small horse, and well muscled underneath a pelt of golden fur. A second wolf stepped out of the shadows, one with silver eyes and a chestnut pelt. This second one was slightly smaller than the first.

Baekhyun tucked his tail underneath him and lowered his ears and gaze. The larger wolf, presumably the alpha, wore a hard and merciless glare, while the other one, presumably the second in command, looked at the little red wolf with pity in his eyes.

‘What is a human doing here Baekhyun? Why did you bring him to this place? You know our laws. You know very well that our laws dictate that we cannot tell humans of our existence, let alone bring them to our domain,’ the large hazel wolf growled at the small red one, who shrank away.

‘I’m sorry Yifan. I tried to wipe his memory but he’s got some sort of resistance to our influence, ours and other supernatural beings.’

‘Well, now that he knows, we have two options,’ the hazel wolf growled. ‘We can either kill him or turn him.’

‘You can’t kill him!’ Baekhyun yelped. ‘What if he promises to keep our secret?’

‘Why do you think he’d be able to do that?’

‘He kept the vampire’s secret,’ Baekhyun blurted.

‘He associates with the vampires?!’ the alpha barked in outrage. Kyungsoo heard growls all around him at the mere mention of the creatures. 

‘That’s not the point!’ Baekhyun barked back.

‘Then what is your point?’ the presumed lieutenant asked calmly.

‘I’m just saying that he’s okay and that he can keep our secret. He’s not on the vampire’s side or anything,’ the small red wolf whimpered. ‘So please don’t kill him...’

The larger wolf’s gaze softened ever so slightly. ‘Why are you so adamant about keeping this human safe?’

‘He’s my best friend. I’ve spent most of my life with him, both human and werewolf.’

‘If he’s immune to supernatural occurrences as you say, he’ll be more likely to survive the Turn with no side effects,’ the lieutenant pointed out.

‘I don’t want to Turn him. Chanyeol,” Baekhyun whimpered with a pout. ‘You don’t know what it’s like. You don’t know how horrible it is. And I don’t want to be like the blood-ers who Turn humans on their whims!’

“Why do you hate the vampires so much?”

‘Those filthy blood-ers hold no regard for life, killing for pleasure or sport and changing humans whenever it's convenient for them,’ the alpha sneered.

"I don't think they're all like that!" Kyungsoo blurted before he could stop himself. "Neither Yixing, Jongdae, nor Jongin are violent or heartless monsters!" he continued.

“There may be some exceptions, but on the whole, they are terrible creatures,’ the hazel wolf growled. “Rogue vampires Turn innocent humans all the time and leave those humans to wander around the world of humans combating the hunger and the madness alone. These poor twisted beasts kill humans by them dry. They also go after werewolf pups,’ he continued. ‘Most of these poor creatures are ended by werewolf clans avenging lost pups but sometimes they are ended by members of their own species. They fight over territory and in the process, one of the fools will end another.’

‘The vampires I met are different! They’re civilised and they try to co-exist with the humans!” Kyungsoo tried again. “Yixing—“ Yifan cut Kyungsoo off.

‘I don’t care about your little vampire friends,’ he growled.

‘I also promised that Kyungsoo would get some other answers,’ the little red wolf woofed softly.

‘What other questions does the human have for us?’ the chestnut wolf asked.

"How many of you live here in the city, or I guess, near the city?" Kyungsoo asked.

‘There are three clans occupying the city: Moonlight, who occupy the northern territories, Thunder, who occupy the south, and us, Star, who occupy the west. Each is composed of approximately thirty members,’ the beta wolf responded.

‘Yifan is our alpha and Chanyeol is his lieutenant,’ Baekhyun added.

‘In the actual city, there are only a few of us actively living inside,’ Chanyeol finished.

“Why do so few of you live in the city?” Kyungsoo asked.

‘We really have no need to do so. Occasionally one of us gets curious about the world of humans but it usually doesn't last. You have no idea the pain of watching those you love growing old around you with no way to stop it,’ Yifan replied with pain in his voice. 

‘We don't belong in their world and bringing them into ours is dangerous,’ the chestnut wolf added. ‘The process of turning is not always successful as the human body fights the transformation. Even if the body accepts the initial change, the first transformation at the first full moon can induce such a shock that the human could die. After the first full moon, the human officially changes into a wolf form.’

"How do you turn a human?" Kyungsoo inquired.

‘The human must be brought to the brink of death by werewolf hands and then revived with werewolf blood. We have high regenerative abilities and our blood, healing properties,’ Baekhyun replied bitterly. 

“How old are you?”

‘I am five hundred and six years old,’ Yifan replied. ‘Chanyeol is four hundred and thirty four,’ Yifan responded.

‘How does that work?”

‘We can stop and start our aging at will. The amount of time we can spend aging is about the amount of time that humans have, a hundred and ten years give or take. The only thing is that we can’t go backwards so we must be sure that we are ready to get that old. In this way, we are much more human than the vampires,’ Baekhyun explained.

“Why are you so old?” Kyungsoo asked.

‘Puppyhood alone usually lasts about a century,’ Chanyeol explained.

‘”You keep talking about puppies and puppyhood. I thought you guys were humans that turn into wolves,” Kyungsoo wondered out loud.

‘Actually, werewolves are wolves with the power to turn into humans, not the other way around,’ Yifan replied simply. ‘It takes about a century for a puppy to learn completely how to control their changes. This isn’t a problem for Turned humans because they were originally human and returning to that form comes naturally,’ the alpha replied.

“Then why do you guys become werewolves at the full moon? Shouldn’t it be the other way around?”

‘The full moon is when our werewolf powers are the most concentrated, so we’re turned into our strongest form, which is that of a wolf,’ the beta explained.

“What powers do you have as werewolves?”

‘Out element is fire, just as the vampires have lightning. We can use the mesmerising quality of fire to create a hypnotic state of sorts,’ Chanyeol replied.

“Can you do anything else with your fire powers?”

‘If you’re asking whether we can breathe fire, the answer is no, except for Chanyeol. He has an affinity for fire and can produce it from his mouth. The rest of us are only able to create small flames from our claws,’ Baekhyun replied. ‘We can also superheat things.’

‘I tire of your questions. I won’t take your memories of tonight but if you tell anyone of our secret, including the vampires, I will kill you. You may leave,’ Yifan stated shortly. Before Kyungsoo or Baekhyun could respond, he turned and disappeared back into the thickets. The watching pairs of eyes slowly blinked out and disappeared as well. Chanyeol dipped his head before following the alpha.

‘Let’s go. It isn’t safe for you to stay any longer now that Yifan has asked you to leave,’ Baekhyun woofed softly, butting his head into the side of Kyungsoo’s knee lightly.

 

--

 

‘I’m sorry,” Baekhyun woofed quietly when they had reached Kyungsoo’s flat. Baekhyun had walked his friend all the way home, despite the strange stares he got as a giant red dog without a collar walking a university student home. ‘This is probably a lot to take in.’

“I don’t know. It isn’t as bad of a shock as the vampires were,” Kyungsoo replied weakly. “But then again, I’ve come to terms with the fact that vampires exist so werewolves aren’t much of a surprise.”

‘Why do you want to associate with the vampires?’ Baekhyun asked bluntly.

“W-well...” Kyungsoo stammered. How could he tell even his best friend that he was dating a vampire? His best friend was a werewolf and werewolves hate vampires. ”I-it’s nothing...”

‘You can tell me. I won’t judge you, not matter what,’ Baekhyun urged.

“Well there’s this vampire, Jongin, and he’s in love with me, and we’ve been on a couple of dates, and I think I’m falling in love with him.”

Baekhyun’s ears flattened but not in rage so much as just defeat. ‘I don’t know very much about vampires, but I do know that if you fall in love with one and the vampire returns your feelings, you two are bound for eternity,’ Baekhyun woofed softly.

“Well, yes...” Kyungsoo really didn’t know how to reply.

‘And then I’ll lose you forever,” Baekhyun murmured.

“I promise even if I turn into a vampire, we won’t change, our friendship won’t change!” Kyungsoo protested.

‘How can that happen?’ the little red wolf asked with resignation. ‘Werewolves hate vampires and visa versa. How can things go back to normal when we both know that our clans hate one another? It’s like some sort of sick, real-life parody of Romeo and Juliet.’

“Yixing, the head of the vampire clan, is much more forgiving and open-minded I think that many clan leaders so I think that we would be able to convince him to at least make peace with the werewolves and I don’t think that Yifan is as terrible as he sounds,” Kyungsoo tried. “Why don’t we just avoid this topic until the time comes? It’s making me depressed.” The little red wolf dipped its head.

‘I should probably be getting home then...’

“No, you can stay the night. I don’t mind...” Kyungsoo mumbled. The pair of canine amber eyes met Kyungsoo’s. “It’ll be a sleepover, just like when we were little,” he continued.

‘Okay,’ Baekhyun resigned but Kyungsoo could have sworn that he was smiling, at least his eyes were.

 

Kyungsoo went to bed that night with Baekhyun curled up at the foot of his bed.

 

A/N: Thank you all for reading and upvoting and that sort of thing. I hope you are enjoying the story. There will be a side-story about Baekhyun and how he got into this situation.