001

Impossible Chances

Another metallic clink as another coin was carelessly flung into the small cardboard box in front of him. He bowed his head and murmured a quiet "thank you." Looking up at the darkening sky, he decided to head to his normal spot next to the stairs leading down to the subway. He put the newspaper onto the ground and laid on top of it. Sighing quietly, he pulled a few more sheets of newspaper onto himself and closed his eyes. Within a few minutes, he had fallen asleep.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When he opened his eyes, he was greeted with the sight of the morning sunlight streaming from the subway entrance. He decided that he would feel better staying in the subway today and moved his meager belongings, if you could even call it belongings, to a slightly clean spot on the ground near the wall. Putting his beaten cardboard box in front of him, he settled into a kneeling position, his daily routine for years starting again.

 

A few hours passed before the first coin was dropped into his box. The boy lowered his head and muttered a "thank you." Same as usual, he sighed as he settled back on to his feet.

 

Suddenly, sounds of shouting echoed from deeper within the subway. Who gets drunk in the middle of the day? the boy thought. The group of drunk men stumbled closer and closer, until they were right in front of the boy kneeling there. Nearly falling over each other, they noticed the boy sitting there silently and stumbled over. One of them lunged forward and grabbed the boy by his dirty and matted hair. 

 

"You little beggars are what is making our society so filthy! Why don't you just grow up and get a job, huh?!" the drunk man yelled, spittle flying into the boy's dirty and scratched face. Must've been a bad day at work, the boy thought as he smiled mockingly at the man. "Are you making fun of me?!" he yelled. The man threw the boy onto the ground and punched him a few times before stumbling away, kicking his cardboard box with a few coins at the bottom away.

 

Bleeding from a cut on his dry and chapped lips, the boy slowly got up and touched the bruises on his cheek. He winced and pulled his hand away. Feeling dizzy, he swayed as he settled back into his spot on the newspaper. The boy bent his head back down as he waited for more money. Staring at the cardboard box, he suddenly saw a few hundred dollar bills being offered to him in a pale and skinny hand. He looked up and met the eyes of the owner of the hand. Big bright eyes, earnest and straightforward, stared back at him. 

 

"I'll give it to you if you come with me," the mysterious person said, retracting his hand when the boy moved to grab the money.

 

Ah, another of those people wanting to sleep with me for money. 


The boy shook his head and leaned back. The other man sighed exasperatingly.

 

"Look, I just want to help you." 

 

Ha, that's what everyone says.

 

The boy leaned back even more and shook his head again. Sighing loudly, the man in front of him stood back up and frowned. Suddenly, his face lit up.

 

"Err... How about this! I won't force you to come with me but of you follow me I'll buy you food and we'll go our separate ways. If you want to come with me, you can just follow me."

 

The boy looked at him doubtfully, but the man just smiled. He grabbed him by the arm and and pulled him up.

 

"C'mon!" The man started at a brisk pace and the boy reluctantly followed him, leaving his dirty newspapers and worn cardboard box behind.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The man gazed at the boy in front of him, devouring the greasy hamburger and fries he had bought for him.

 

He thought about when he had first spotted the boy in the subway, covered in dirt. Only upon getting closer had he realized that the discoloring on the boy's cheeks was actually bruises and dried blood. He hadn't expected the boy to reject his offer but he was now surprised that the boy had actually followed him.

 

The man finally snapped back to reality and realized that the boy was now staring at him with wary eyes, as if expecting the man to kidnap him any second. 

 

"Um... I guess I'll get going now," the man stood up and paid before leaving. He had made it halfway to his car when he heard quiet footsteps behind him. Glancing behind him, he saw that the boy had followed him out.

 

Ha, knew it would work.

 

The man opened the passenger door on the side of his car and gestured towards the the inside.

 

"Get in."

 

The boy climbed in cautiously and the man shut the door. Getting in the driver's seat, he started the ignition and drove off.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

They finally stopped in front of a tall building in the middle of downtown. The man got out first and and opened the door for his other guest.

 

Trying to soften me up so that I won't doubt him later, eh? the boy thought as he clumsily climbed out.

 

The man strode through the tall glass sliding doors and nodded confidently to a few people inside, who nodded back, as the boy followed after him, looking around the inside of the building in wonder. Reaching a room on the middle to top floors, the man knocked on the door. There were sounds of banging and rustling inside before someone yelled come in.

 

The man opened the door and walked in, as the boy followed in. They were greeted by an interesting sight.

 

There were papers scattered all over the desk and ground, as well as a few pens. A red haired and equally red faced man was busily buttoning up his shirt, but both of them could see the hickeys dotting his chest and neck. Standing beside the desk was a dark brown haired man, rubbing the back of his neck as a sheepish smile flashed across his face. 

 

The man with the red hair cleared his throat, "Sungyeol, you should've knocked before you came in!"

Sungyeol laughed heartily, "I'll make sure not to knock next time, Sunggyu."

Sunggyu frowned and turned to the person standing beside the desk.

"Woohyun, I told you doing this here was a bad idea," he whispered, trying to be quiet but failing.

Sunggyu turned back to Sungyeol and scowled, "Now, what do you want?"

"It's just that, you know hyung, you wanted another person to work because my fame isn't enough to keep your company running so I brought someone new," Sungyeol pushed the boy forward.

Sighing exasperatingly, Sunggyu ran his fingers through his hair.

"Sungyeol-ah, I can't have you bringing amateurs who don't even look like a decent person."

"Don't worry about it, hyung. I'll help him. Oh, by the way kid, what's your name?" Sungyeol asked, patting the boy on the shoulder.

Sunggyu's eyes widened.

"You don't even know his name?" he exclaimed.

Sungyeol just smiled back at him. Sighing again, Sunggyu turned to Sungyeol.

"Oh well, you might as well try to help. Are you sure he will be successful enough to save this company?" he asked.

"Of course! I'm pre~tty sure that there's a pretty face hiding under all that grime and dirt," Sungyeol said, gesturing towards the boy," a good shower will wash all that away."

Sunggyu sighed and nodded. Woohyun raised his hand as if he were elementary student asking a question.

"Excuse me, seonsaengnim, may I say something now?" he said mockingly.

Sunggyu turned around, "Sorry, Woohyun."

"It's okay."

"Okay then," Sunggyu went back to ignoring him. Woohyun opened his mouth about to say something but just looked at Sunggyu's back like an abandoned puppy.

"Well, kid, what's your name?" Sunggyu asked.

Sungyeol held his hand up. 

"Hold on a second, I found the kid first so I get to ask him," Sungyeol complained.

Sighing, Sunggyu relented.

"Go on, go on."

"So, kid, what's your name?" Sungyeol said proudly, as if he had accomplished something important.

The boy shifted a bit on his feet, his eyes darting back and forth in between the three people staring at him.

"M-Myungsoo," he whispered quietly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hey guys! So... err... If any of you guys are subscribers from my other fic, I'm really sorry I haven't updated that yet because I left my notebook at home...

So, anyway... How do you like this fic? I tried something new with this writing style, at least in the beginning.

Please comment and tell me if you would like although it will probably come a long time later.

Anyways, same question, how old do you think I am?

P.S. To the subscribers on my other fic: None of you guys are right so far... he he~