epilogue.

Into the light

Luhan touched the glass with his fingertips. That glass was separating him from someone he once loved, and he still loves. Time can ease our pain, but we never forget it. There are times when we remember. At that moment, we simply want to scream because we realize that there's nothing to be done. Right then, we promise ourselves that we should cherish what we have and who we have before it is too late. The most challenging thing with life is the power to realize that we live now, that we are alive now, and that we should cherish the people we have now. Life isn't about, yesterday and it isn't about tomorrow either. Life is about now. We should take a chance to forgive and love the ones we have. We have to do it now.

"I'm sorry.", he whispered, biting his lip. "I'm sorry for not being able to protect you. However, you should know that we love you."

Suddenly, Luhan felt a weight on his shoulder. He looked and saw how Joohyeon closed her eyes, resting with her head on his shoulders. She looked so beautiful; like an angel.

 

 

"I really think we shouldn't have sold the house.", Joohyeon said, fixing her seatbelt.

"Why? To be honest, I like the new one more. Besides that, Sarang has her own room now. She must be so happy." Luhan started the car. They were on their way on picking Sarang up from kindergarten. 

"I bet she is, after an entire year of being squeezed between us.", the woman laughed remembering Sarang's complaints. Lately, she caught a habit on voicing out her thoughts clearly and often.

Life wasn't too bright for them, but at least they had each other.

"Are you sure you can skip your drawing therapy?"

"Of course.", Joohyeon said.

"You seem kind of cocky now that you won your third contest." Joohyeon lightly hit Luhan's hand and shook her head before she sighed. "Now I know who does Sarang take after. She wouldn't resemble me since I don't have any artistic inclinations."

Joohyeon stopped laughing and looked at Luhan. "Thank you. Thank you for taking such good care of her. Thank you for loving us so much."

Luhan took Joohyeon's hand in his and clasped it tightly, tears slightly making their way on his cheek. I should be the thankful one.

"Look what I found in my pocket earlier today." Luhan handed Joohyeon a letter. She opened it, confused. As soon as she recognized Sarang's sloppy handwriting she let out a proud smile.

 

Dear Daddy Luhan,

 

this is your daughter Sarang. Today is your birthday. How are you feeling? You probably feel older... Well, we both know that no matter how much time passes you will still be the most handsome daddy ever. I still remember the first time I saw you. I never told you this, but you know what I thought in my head? 'Woah, this person is so handsome!". You seemed kind and warm, and time proved me right. Probably, you are the kindest person I've ever met. There are days when memories scatter away, but there are also days like this when everything settles down, coming back. I should confess that I enjoyed the few days I stayed with you more than I enjoyed living in my own house in those five years. The moment you lifted me up and I saw the homemade meal in front of me, I started to hope. You have always been my hope. You always fixed my crumpled clothes, you always sang me to sleep, you always held my hand teaching me how to live. Every year on my birthday you would ask, "Sarang, did you make your wish?", and I would always answer, "No, I have nothing to wish for.". You kept quiet and looked at me puzzled every time, but the truth is that my wish has been fulfilled once, so I shouldn't be greedy by wishing for something else when there are so many people who have wishes more important than mine. The day you came and picked me up from kindergarten was one of the happiest days ever. Right then, before eating the ice-cream, I made my wish: 'Dear God, please let Luhan be my daddy'. How could I make another wish? When I found out about the loss you and mommy suffered, I wanted to be a better daughter. I may be stubborn, clingy and maybe I  spend too much time on the phone with Jongin. Daddy, he is seriously a good guy - even though he has tattoos. But, anyway, despite all my flaws, I really love you and I want to be the best daughter ever. With every wrinkle that settles upon your face, I realize how much I want to ease all your pain and all your stress. I may not say it very often, but the truth is that I feel so lucky for having you in my life. I'm thinking about those kids who don't have a dad, and then I turn around. You're always there. You always worry about me, scold me when I'm doing something bad, and I am so thankful, really. That's why, sometimes, I hug you out of nowhere, catching you by surprise. I know will grow up. We don't know where life will take us. Maybe, I won't have time to visit you all the time, maybe you will miss me and feel lonely, but at those times, listen. Listen, because I am there, next to you. You said it, didn't you? "Sarang, daddy won't be with you forever. Maybe you will miss me and feel lonely, but, at that moment just listen. Because I am there.". Happy Birthday, daddy, I really feel you here, next to me. Thank you for never leaving me alone.

I love you.

 


Thank you so much to everyone who read this story. It means a lot to me. I can't believe I wrote 10,000+ words.

If there are any questions I would be glad to answer them.

Now, I don't know if everyone would get this prologue, but feel free to make your own interpretation.

Sorry if I disappointed anyone.

thank you, and if you want you can check out my other stories, too.

THANK YOU.

I made an 8tracks mix for this story. Lurene version. I should've made a Luhan/Sarang version :)

http://8tracks.com/maddiesparkling/into-the-light-musicmix