i/ii

Into the light

The dark hallway made Luhan's shadow to stand out more. He stood on the last chair from the last row of chairs, the one closer to Cardiology. With trembling hands he was looking at the cigarette waiting to be lightened. Nervously, he shifted his right leg closer, resting his head on both of them. Memories started to crash in and tears began to fall. Since his childhood Luhan wanted to be a doctor; not because his parents forced him to, but because he truly wanted. He was a six year-old when he took that decision, after watching his grandfather die because of a . He saw how doctors were unable to bring him back, he saw his mother's tears, he saw his father's hands taking him away from the scene. At that moment he asked, "How can I help grandpa?", and the answer he got was:"You're not a doctor. There's nothing you can do.". Right then, Luhan set a goal from becoming a doctor, and from saving human lives. However, it never crossed his mind that doctors weren't Gods; they didn't always save human lives. Now, he felt guilty and he thought that maybe, if he chose another job, and if it was another doctor operating on that old man's heart he could have been saved. Yes, Luhan found himself standing face to face with his first dead patient on the operating table; the panic, the hurt, the shock took over him, and here he was now. His hands were sweaty, and also his forehead; while clutching the cigarette tighter he broke down. He rejected the idea of being this kind of doctor.

 

Four days passed since Luhan sent in his resignation. Professor Kim, who had been one of his mentors and who appreciated him a lot, refused to accept it. He said that he understood where this came from, and that all doctors have a shock when this happens for the first time. "You will be alright after a few weeks of rest," the Professor said. Luhan esteemed him too much to refuse his wish. Therefore, he agreed. And, here he was, in the middle of his condo, with a bowl of rice in his hands, debating whether to eat it or not. He looked around and he saw how much of a mess his house turned into, but he felt too lazy to clean up so he returned to his bowl of rice. Out of nowhere, the feeling of loneliness hit him. It was strange since he never felt it before because of his work, but now, staying in this house that he rarely saw, it felt strange and lonely. The hospital was his house, and he started to wonder how his life would be without it and what would he do from now on. The last five nights had been full of nightmares and Luhan felt like he was losing his mind; that operating table, the family's face when they heard about the death, their yells, their tears...

The doorbell rang and he rolled his eyes in exasperation. He cared about Professor Kim a lot, he was like a father for him, but it was already the fifth time when he came, trying to convince Luhan to come back, to get over it already. Without even checking who his guest was, Luhan opened the door wide, and turned around, ready for the commotion to start. Professor Kim was very loud and very talkative.

"Luhan."

That wasn't the Professor's Kim voice and he felt himself quickly spinning around at the familiarity of it. The image in front of him wasn't something he expected. The woman in front of him was terribly thin, with her hair slightly disheveled, and she was barefooted. In her hands was a little girl, and Luhan slowly nodded his head. Of course, of course she had a child.

"Joohyeon." He was startled by the tears that started to roll down on her cheeks, and he hardly stopped himself from wiping them away. Yet, he couldn't do that, he wasn't in the position to do so; not anymore. So much time passed since he last saw her, but it wasn't like he couldn't recognize those chocolate eyes. "Come in?", he didn't intend it to sound like a question so he mentally groaned, realizing that he was flustered. "I mean, come in.", he saved the situation with a smile that he didn't think was a proper one, considering how awkward the situation was.

"Thank you.", Joohyeon said looking at her bare feet, and holding the child tightly, so she wouldn't fall.

 

Luhan noticed how uncomfortable she felt, but it wasn't anything he could do since he felt uncomfortable himself. He didn't understand what was the meaning of such a visit after all these years, but he also felt relieved to see her again; he couldn't deny that. Joohyeon was beautiful as ever, but the man still wondered if she found the happiness she was searching for.

"Luhan, actually, I have a request.", Luhan felt grateful when Joohyeon broke the ice first, he wouldn't have been capable of doing it. He also felt grateful that Joohyeon was asking for his help, which was uncommon for her. Suddenly, he furrowed his eyebrows realising that something big must have happened for her to come at him with a request and he started to become curious.

"Yes, sure." It was all that he could muster, and he mentally slapped himself for looking so stupid in front of her, even though time has passed and he should've changed. He smiled a little, when he saw Joohyeon's hand easing the little girl's sleep. She was a mother now, and he thought how she always had a motherly figure, and how much of a good mother she must be.

"Could you..." When Luhan noticed Joohyeon's troubled expression, he eased her to continue with a nod, and she did."...take care of Sarang for a few days?"

Luhan's gaze fell upon Sarang's sleeping figure, while he tried to register the mother's words. He didn't know what he expected to hear, but for sure, not this. How could he take care of such a little kid?

"I am sure sure that you must have serious reasons for asking me this, Joohyeon, but I don't think I am capable of taking care of her." Joohyeon's face was a mix of emotions, and Luhan couldn't stand the large amount of panic he found in them so he sighed.

"Please, Luhan, Sarang is sick. She won't sleep at night, she always cries in her sleep and she often...", Joohyeon closed her eyes and Luhan realized that something painful must be happening in her family's life, "...she often... relieves herself in bed. I am so scared."

"I am a cardiologist, there's nothing I can do. If you want I will call Doctor Lee and tomorrow-"

"No", Joohyeon interfered, "I can't take her to the hospital. I can't take her to the hospital,"Luhan noticed how Joohyeon started to panic and she repeatedly shook her head, repeating the same words over and over.

"Okay, I understood. You can't take her to the hospital.", Luhan watched the little girl stir in her sleep and he wondered what could have led her in such a precarious mental condition. The symptoms were probably related to anxiety, thing which made Luhan wonder what was really happening with Joohyeon's family. He sighed, realizing that something must be happening since she totally refused taking the girl to a hospital. Suddenly, he wanted to find out what was really behind all this, so in a moment, words came out without him knowing, "What's really happening, Joohyeon?"

Joohyeon swallowed, averting her eyes. "I will tell you everything when I will come to pick her up. I promise you, Luhan. I will tell you everything. Just do this for me. Just this once. I'm begging you."

"I will do it. I said I will do it so calm down now, please." Luhan was taken aback by the woman's behaviour, knowing how proud she had always been. Not that she never asked him for a favor, but he didn't think that the verb "to beg" existed in her vocabulary. He imagined how uncomfortable and embarrassed she must feel in this situation. The proud Bae Joohyeon, begging him, Luhan, was something he didn't think of ever witnessing in his life.

Luhan watched how Joohyeon woke Sarang up, and he thought how he would take care of her since he never had a similar experience. Thankfully, it was only for a few days. The girl slowly yawned, and cuddled in her mother's embrace and he found that image endearing.

"Our Sarang," Joohyeon started, slowly caressing her daughter's back, "do you see this man standing next to me?" Sarang looked up and saw Luhan. He was standing next to Joohyeon and stared into the girl's eyes with fear. How would he take care of her? Would he do well? What if the girl doesn't like him? The little girl, thankfully, didn't start to cry and just nodded. "This man's name is Luhan, and he will take care of you for a few days. He will give you good food, he will play with you, but you must be quiet and listen to every word he says. If not, mommy will be very upset. Did you understand?"

Luhan tried to listen to Joohyeon's words, but he couldn't help, but get distracted by the mess in his living room. The little girl wouldn't feel comfortable here and, for sure, he wouldn't feel comfortable either. When he tried to focus on what was happening, he saw the girl standing next to him, with her eyes facing the white carpet, and he panicked. Thankfully, after a second, Joohyeon came back into the room with a bag.

"This was all I could pack. She isn't picky about food, so you won't have to worry about that." Joohyeon sighed and looked at her little baby girl with tears in her eyes. "She has to sleep before 9pm, and..." Her heart felt heavy, but she had to do it, only for a few days, until everything settles.

"Joohyeon, please tell me what's happening." Luhan got up from the couch in order to face her.

"Please, take good care of her, Luhan", she said with pleading eyes and Luhan felt lost again, "Please."

Joohyeon turned away, and left, closing the door with a big thump. Luhan watched how Sarang started to run towards the door crying. He should have expected that to happen. Joohyeon should have expected it too, the girl was at an age in which she started to grow dependance of her mother.

She couldn't reach the doorknob so she started to yell, "Mommy! Mommy!", and Luhan found the scene hard to bear. He took her hand, and sat down in front of her.

"Sarang, mommy will come soon to pick you up, so just pe patient, okay?"

The man was astonished to notice that the girl had Joohyeon's eyes, and ; she was a perfect copy of the woman so he instantly felt a spark of affection for the girl. With a fast motion, the girl snatched her hand away, and sat down, next to the door, with her head on her knees and started to cry. Luhan sighed. There was no way of approaching the little girl, he didn't even know how to do it since he never had experiences with kids before.

"If you want to stay here, okay. I understand how hard it must be to you." Luhan got up and changed the air conditioner to a lower temperature, and spared a last glance at Sarang. Will we be okay, Sarang?

 

 

He never cooked dinner for anyone before, especially for a 4-year old kid, but he tried. Luhan wasn't a pro when it came to cooking, but he was very attentive to every detail. After cooking the beef soup and the rice, he started to set the table in the most decent way possible. He sighed, it was so hard. It was so hard to look after someone, to do things for someone else beside yourself and Luhan felt overwhelmed. He felt even more disappointed after Sarang refused to come and eat. -I am not hungry -, and he sat down at the table with a slight pout on his face. He didn't think it would be easy, not at all, but he thought that maybe the girl would be more receptive at his efforts.

He took a mouthful of rice, but he find it hard to swallow; he couldn't swallow thinking that he already failed Joohyeon. What was in her mind anyway, letting him with this little girl while she did God knows what?! Luhan felt his sleeve being pulled and discovered a teary-eyed Sarang staring at him. Unknowingly, he smiled. The girl was so cute.

"So the hunger came to you after all, huh?" He chuckled when he saw the girl looking down. "Your seat is there.", he pointed to the chair across the table. He watched amused, as the girl tried to climb the chair which was too high for her, and the thought that he should buy lower chairs came in Luhan's mind. Slowly, he lifted Sarang up and placed her on the chair. The girl giggled a little, and sat at the table. However, the frown was again plastered on her face in a few seconds. But, despite that, Luhan felt hopeful once again.

 

 

While preparing Sarang's bath, Luhan felt nostalgic. He was 27-year old, and, yet, he didn't have a family. Years passed and the only thing that had been real in his life was his medical career, but that didn't feel too real either right now, so he realized, that, truthfully he didn't have anything. He didn't have someone to come home to, and he never realized how lonely he was, how lonely he felt, until now that he felt another person's presence in the house. He was sitting down next to the bathtub and looked at Sarang through the open door. She was playing with his stethoscope. He felt very proud when he saw how shiny her eyes were when she found it. Still, he couldn't allow himself to feel. He couldn't allow for it to happen again, and end again the way it did before.

Sarang slowly came to Luhan and smiled. For the first time, Sarang smiled at him, and Luhan felt his breath hitch; she smiled, she smiled. He took the stethoscope from her hands, explaining that - there is no way you could wash yourself while holding this - and pinched her cheeks.

"Can you do it alone?" She didn't open to him as much as letting him wash her up, at least that's what Luhan thought. Sarang was an anxious girl, she seemed afraid of strangers, and from what he heard from Joohyeon she was suffering a lot mentally, so he took things step-by-step. Maybe, next time ... Luhan shook his head realizing that he was already thinking of next times with the little girl, and he reminded himself that he shouldn't think about that, he shouldn't develop any paternal feelings towards Sarang. He wasn't her dad ... unfortunately.

 

The bed was set, and Luhan started to worry for Sarang since she was still in the bathroom. He went next to the door, and felt his knees weaken when he didn't hear anything. He knocked, but no answer came. Frightened, he opened the door. His head was filled with bad thoughts, he blamed himself for letting the girl alone. Yet, he let out a breath he wasn't aware of holding when he saw her at the same spot, looking at him with weary eyes. Luhan touched the water and noticed how it wasn't as warm as before, so he filled the bathtub with more warm water.

"Would you let me help you?" Sarang nodded, and he was on verge of punching himself for thinking that a four-year-old girl was capable of washing herself since, for sure, her mother always helped her do it. He untied her ponytails, and let her hair down. At a leisurely pace, Luhan shampooed her hair, and for a moment he imagined that Sarang was his and Joohyeon's girl, that they were happily leaving together, and that Joohyeon was in the kitchen, preparing a snack, while he washed up their baby girl.

At a fast pace, he dressed the girl with the yellow baby gown that Joohyeon put in the bag and took her inside his room. Since he didn't have any spare bedrooms he decided that Sarang would sleep in his bedroom while he would spend the night on the couch. With another towel, Luhan dried Sarang's hair in even motions. She was giggling, and Luhan felt his heart getting warmer, and he knew that he couldn't do it. Suddenly, he got up.

"Please... Please, get dressed and sleep. You can sleep on this bed." He was shifting from one leg to another, and he felt more nervous than ever. "Sleep well."

His eyes were full of tears, still he knew that he couldn't let them fall, he shouldn't allow the past to overcome the present. He took out his phone and called a number he hoped it still was available. He tried, tried, and tried, but the only thing he heard was the same old voice mail message and that made him boil in anger.

"Bae Joohyeon!" He yelled at the phone. "I don't care if you want to hear me or not, I don't even care why you decided to ignore my calls, but it's okay since you will still have to listen to this sometime, like you always do. The thing with you is that you always make people so confused. Even after all this time I'm still confused about you and about what happened between us. Then, you came here, throwing a girl into my arms, begging me to take care of her. Why would I?!" Tired, Luhan started to breathe heavily, inhaling and exhaling rapidly. "It's funny? My feelings are funny to you? Let me tell you something! I won't do it! Come and pick her up immediately because I hate to..."

One thing was sure. Luhan didn't expect to see Sarang behind him, with her pink shirt totally messed up, and with a confused look on her face. He threw the phone on the sofa and knelt down in front of the little girl.

"Your shirt is messed out. Let me..." Luhan reached out to fix her shirt, but Sarang left him dumbfounded when she flinched. After moments of awkward silence, the girl did a 90 degrees bow.

"Thank you for taking care of me, Mr. Luhan." To hear Sarang address him in such a formal manner was a heavy blow for Luhan, and he felt so sorry. He didn't know why he felt like that, but somehow, he really wanted to make up to the girl.

 

 

After fixing Sarang's shirt, he put her in bed. He covered the bed in towels, as a measure of the possible accidents. It was already 10:30pm, but Sarang wasn't sleeping. He checked on her constantly, waiting for the moment to turn off the lights, but every time he came into the room, the girl was awake, looking at the ceiling. She must be anxious about something. Therefore, he sat on the other side of the bed and stayed like that for several minutes, waiting for her to do something, but Sarang didn't even move.

"You can't sleep?"

Sarang nodded, and Luhan smiled. "Most probably, your energy didn't drain out." When he started to tickle her, he didn't think she would answer so fast, but Sarang was full of giggles. Besides that, she had the most beautiful eye smile that Luhan has ever seen. Even if it was for a little moment, he should permit himself to feel. All of us should give ourself the freedom to feel so we can have what to remember in our darkest hours. Luhan knew that in his darkest hours, for sure, he would think of Sarang.

With a bowl full of ice-cream, Luhan and Sarang watched the Little Einsteins marathon. "Your mommy won't get mad at me for letting you sleep late when I'll tell her that we watched this kind of educative program, right?", Sarang nodded between giggles and took another spoonful of strawberry ice-cream, "When you will become a scientist, she will thank me."

"I don't want to become a scientist, though." The little girl pouted. "I want to be a doctor; like you!"

"I am a doctor?" Luhan played innocent.

"So, aren't you?" Sarang looked at him with such a comic expression that Luhan burst in laughter instantly.

 

 

"Joohyeon, I am sorry. Just ignore my previous message. You know how short-tempered I am. Sarang is so lovely that I think she already won me over. So, come and pick her up when you fix whatever problems you may have. Though, please don't suffer alone. If you need any kind of help, just tell me. After all, we are... friends."

 

When he was about to turn off the lights, Luhan heard the soft whimpers that came from the bedroom. In a rush, he entered the room, and his eyes widened when he saw the beads of sweat formed on Sarang's forehead. Luhan went next to the little girl in a heartbeat, and tried to wake her up.

"Sarang... Sarang, please wake up..." He whispered and her hair gently. "Sarang, please wake up. Please!"

Luhan was frightened. He was really confused because a few minutes ago she seemed to be okay and now this was happening. When Sarang finally woke up, she broke down in tears. She was crying so hard that Luhan didn't feel like anything could comfort her more than her mother's presence. Yet, there he was; next to her, unable to touch her, or say anything. Simply, because he didn't have the right to do so. Screw the rights, after all!

"Sarang, please calm down, okay? You're safe. You're fine." He took her in his arms and there they stayed. He noticed how Sarang's screams intensified the moment he hugged her, but he refused to let her go.

Sarang slept soundly, with her head deep buried in Luhan's chest. However, Luhan didn't close an eye that night. He kept soothing the little girl and whispering reassuring words, reassuring words like "I am here, you're safe.", or "Everything will be alright, sweetheart.". To dream doesn't cost a thing.

 

 

"Can we go home?" Sarang asked, and Luhan felt how her hands were starting to get sweaty again. She was anxious. He caressed her head and after that, he kissed her forehead. It was strange that Sarang was feeling so insecure again after she conversed so well with the psychiatrist. It was amazing for Luhan too, to see the little girl open up so fast in front of the doctor.

When Doctor Lee entered the room, Sarang smiled and the woman gave her a lollipop. Luhan felt so confused because of Sarang's behaviour. It had been so hard to convince her to go out since she threw out a tantrum the moment they got out of the door. Luhan had to hold her in his arms for several minutes until she calmed down, and promised to buy her croissants if she acts nice. Somehow, the atmosphere between them was different, and Luhan felt how Sarang began to trust him. Howsoever, he had to take slow steps in order to achieve that, but Doctor Lee simply smiled and the girl warmed up.

Sarang was now playing in Dr. Lee's chair, watching some cartoons on the laptop, as the psychiatrist scooted closer to Luhan.

"How is she?" Luhan asked, quite afraid of the answer. He shouldn't be afraid since most probably it was an anxiety disorder or something, but he still felt that the things were quite serious since a four-year-old kid was having nightmares and suffered that much. He knew that Joohyeon hated the idea of taking her to the hospital - she seemed quite desperate about it, actually - but it still had to be done. You can't expect for a doctor to let things go once you bring a sick kid at his house. He was a doctor, after all. He still was.

"Her condition is quite serious, Luhan, and, normally, I would ask why you made the decision to bring her here this late, but as for now, I'll keep quiet since you probably had your reasons. Anyway, I believe the child suffers from PTSD, more exactly, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. That means that she witnessed an event or experienced an event that left a big impact of her. It could be a trauma whereas both disorders have some similarities, but I think that's not the case. From what you told she has bad dreams, she finds it difficult to fall asleep, she becomes angry very easily, she was afraid of you. As you may have noticed she approached me quickly. The girl experienced something traumatic in her childhood, and I believe the event may have involved a man. I think you should consider yourself lucky that she feels comfortable around you."

Luhan suddenly remembered the event in the waiting room where Professor Kim came to greet him. As soon as Sarang saw the man she started to sweat and to cry. She practically threw a fit and Luhan felt embarrassed, not being aware of the fact that the poor child was actually afraid.

"Luhan, you have to be patient with her. I think the only way to cure this is for her to face her fear. We still don't know what she is afraid of, so if you have any ideas, please inform me."

"I really don't know. I will contact the girl's mother and..."

Luhan felt utterly uncomfortable with the situation. What role was he playing, for God's sake? What was in Joohyeon's mind?

They set another date for a new examination, and Luhan set his mind of doing things right. Sarang needed help.

 

Time with Sarang was flying very fast. Day by day, they both learnt new things together. Luhan bought Sarang her first biology book for kids. He was struggling to teach her things step-by-step, and Sarang found interest in learning how to read and write, thing which made Luhan laugh since she was so tiny, yet so determinate.

"If I learn everything in this book by heart, then I will become a doctor?"

"Of course. Not only a doctor, but the best doctor!"

"Like you?"

"Like me."

 

One day, Luhan took Sarang to his office. He was trying to take her out every day so she would stop being afraid of public places and people. It was Dr. Lee's advice, and thankfully, Sarang was responding very well to the therapy. She was fascinated by the medical equipment from the hospital and Luhan tried to explain to her things about them, as much as a four-year-old could understand. They even went to the mall, and Luhan was left dumbfounded when Sarang told him that she has never been to such a place before. Inasmuch as she started to become more receptive and comfortable around him, she started to become more demanding too.

"Buy me that!" Sarang whined, pointing to a big teddy bear.

"Oh, is a real bear or what?" Luhan looked at the big teddy bear with an amazed gaze. "Do you want it?"

Sarang nodded enthusiastically, but Luhan played hard to get so he refused her at the start. Somehow, after listening to her singing "Three Bears" to him, Luhan gave in.

"Okay, I'll buy it for you."

 

One night, when Luhan started to pat Sarang's stomach because she was having a stomachache, the question came.

"When will mommy come? I miss her."

"She will come soon. Did you already get tired of me?"

"No!" She said, giggling, after he started to tickle her again.

 

 

"Joohyeon, have you lost your mind? A week passed. Where are you? The kid is scared. Is this some sort of a plan? Do you really like the idea of torturing me? If you moved on, then good for you! Move the ing on, but don't mess up other people's life! The girl is sick! She has been sick for God knows how long and I think you don't give a..." Luhan inhaled deeply, trying to calm himself down. It wasn't the time for swearing or releasing anger. "What I'm trying to say is that I don't mind keeping the girl longer, but she is not my responsibility. She is your responsibility. She needs you. She needs her mom."

He couldn't believe that Joohyeon was continously rejecting his calls. What was this situation?

 

 

Luhan managed to create a healthy diet for Sarang, Likewise he tried to exercise with her daily. They went together for dancing classes, and Sarang found an interest in dancing too. Sometimes she would get tired very fast, or throw a fit, but Luhan slowly started to explain her how to solve any problem step-by-step and how to see the good in every situation. Also, Sarang had times when she was very active and very clingy.

"Why did you come?" Luhan asked Professor Kim who was holding Sarang's hand.  When he took Sarang to see the hospital, she made a big step by approaching Profesor Kim and apologizing for the way she behaved the last time they saw each other. That way they started to become closer.

"I cannot stand the idea of a kid hating me. My grandchildren seem to like me a lot."

Luhan chuckled. "A doctor who bribes someone in order to win their affection?" He jokingly asked, going through all the dresses Proffessor Kim bought for Sarang.

"This brat." Profesor Kim muttered under his breath earning a chuckle from both Luhan and Sarang.

"These clothes are so beautiful! Thank you!" Sarang bowed. "Luhan, can I do that?"

Luhan furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "That?"

"Fashion show." Sarang lovely spun around.

"Catwalk. Catwalk." Professor Kim laughed.

The night passed with Luhan trying to fix the clothes which Sarang wrongly put on, and with a lot of laughs. Grandpa Kim, as Sarang was told to call him, cooked his special recipe of spaghetti helping Luhan and Sarang to make new precious memories together.

 

"Where is she?" The man in front of him asked. Luhan looked at him with curiosity. It was seven in the morning, and he rushed to the door when he heard the loud knocks. Thankfully, Sarang was still sleeping soundly in her bed.

"Who are you?" It was obvious who the man was, though. He was Sarang's dad. Luhan remembered his face clearly from that day which changed his life entirely. Finally, after months of working himself to death, Luhan decided to look for the woman he still loved. Wounds healed, at least that's what he thought. He looked for her desperately, he even dealt with her mother's curses in order to find her. Yet, she was nowhere to be found. But, as fate likes to play tricks on us, he found her in the place he never thought that will be known by any other person than the two of them. At that place was him, the same man as the one standing in front of him. The man who was holding her hand, the man who was trying to comfort her, the man who invaded their life and took everything from him. The man he hated for such a long time.

"I'm Sarang's dad and I know that she is here. My wife couldn't come to pick her up so she sent me."

At the word 'wife", Luhan lost every hope that he may have gained throughout the time he spent with Sarang.

Surprisingly, Sarang didn't take the news of leaving too well. The look in her eyes almost made Luhan beg her dad to let her stay more. But he couldn't do that. He had no right to do so and it hurt. It took some time to pack her belongings, and Luhan noticed how his room was getting emptier. No more toys, no more clothes scattered around. How much he used to scold Sarang for that. Many things can happen in a month, and definitely many relationships could be build. From this experience Luhan didn't learn to be any dad, he learnt to be Sarang's dad. Even if it was temporary, he had been a dad. Somehow, he paid all of his debts and he felt as he obtained his forgiveness.

When he hugged Sarang for the last time, he realized that they really got close. There wasn't something that could describe the feelings you get when you love someone. Indeed, it feels good to receive love, and Luhan felt regretful for not being able to receive Sarang's love anymore, but he felt even more regretful thinking that he won't give Sarang love anymore. She looked sad, but he knew that Sarang left stronger than she arrived, and that gave him faith. He wanted to give her dad some information about the therapy she received and still had to receive, but something held him back from doing so. Maybe, the look in the man's eyes.

"I love you, Luhan." Sarang whispered in his ear, and Luhan fought the tears that were ready to fall. The only thing he could do was to hug her tighter, and tell himself for the thousandth time that she wasn't his.

In all this time, Sarang learnt a lot, things she didn't even dream of learning. The love she received, the attention she has gotten, made her feel special. It wasn't much that a four-year-old kid could understand, but her feelings told her that if someone ever deserved to be called daddy, then that was Luhan. Yet, another thing she wasn't able to understand was why she had to leave. Thankfully, Luhan's reassuring words convinced her that it was for the better.

"Be strong, Sarang."


I'm so sorry that it took me so much to update this story. I am very thankful to all of you for subscribing and I hope I didn't disappoint you.

PART TWO WILL COME SOON~