six

Moonlight

It was a good day, the sun was shining brightly but Hyukjae wishes he was somewhere other than here.

He tried to stop the man, he knew they were causing public disturbance. But the senior editor with him did not seem to care. He only continued slamming the poor door and abusing the innocent the doorbell of the apartment alternately.

It went on like that until a young man opened it and openly glared at Donghae. 
"Hyung. My noona is not feeling well. cut her some slack." the younger male with black hair said almost protectively, covering the entrance with his whole body (Hyukjae notes that the male was quite taller than both of them, kids these days)
"Park Cheondoong. Let me speak to your sister." the editor said it calmly yet laced with different threats.
And Hyukjae had to applaud for the obviously younger male who had not shrinked for that threatening gaze. If anything it only made the male on the doorway protectively shield the apartment from Donghae.
However a soft, weak voice rang inside the apartment.

"Cheondoong-ah. It’s alright. Let them in." accompanied by a soft sniffle and a pitiful whine (courtesy of Cheondoong)
Reluctantly Cheondoong moved aside but not without giving a if-you-do-anything-out-of-line-I’m-going-to-kill-you-look at Donghae (which was replied with an eye roll). 
"Dara! I don’t understand how can you not be finished with the manuscript!" the editor shouted as he was letting himself in.

This person needs to tone down his attitude, seriously, he thought as he was removing his own shoes to let himself in. He smiled apologetically and bowed slightly at the younger male who was looking at him intently.

"You're new aren’t you?" Cheondoong asked observing him with critical eyes. “I’ve never seen anyone from your department apart from that guy.”
He nodded, albeit a little reluctant.

"Is he always like that?" pointing to Donghae who was still shouting profusely, albeit a lot more calmer (at least he still have manners). 
The male sighed tiredly and nodded as well. "He never gave my sister some slack. Seriously my sister is ing sick but he.. "
"Lee Hyukjae! Get in here!" they both jumped and Hyukjae flashed another apologetic smile at the male by the doorway before finally entering the living room.

 He walked towards his boss and the obviously sick lady (most probably the author). Donghae was now talking on the normal volume but the cuss words are still there. The girl was seriously listening while she was finishing the pages for the background, she was wrapped with a thick blanket, her neck covered with a thick scarf only showing the obviously swollen eyes.

There was still a thick stack of unfinished papers, laid messily on the table. 

“I told you! I’m sorry. I thought I could finish it immediately, but then this freaking cold came and ugh..” she sniffled and blowed her nose.
"I gave you months for this! Ah so frustrating! Newbie help her with the layout I need to do something first." 
With that Donghae left with his cellphone pressed to his ears talking with someone through the phone. 
They awkwardly stared at each for a minute of two before they heard a "Work!" 
Hyukjae sat down looking unsurely at the stack of papers in front of him, obviously not knowing what to do. 

“Uh. Sorry.. but how..?” he knew he looked kind of stupid, but seriously he had zero idea what he is going to do here.
The woman only smiled softly before she handed him a few pages.
"Stick some of this.." she pointed in an empty square "to this." 
He nodded and obediently did as what was told. 
Looking at the pages he was working on, it looked full typical teen romance clichés. But of course it is a manga for young teens what do you expect Hyukjae?, he thought sarcastically. Just thinking about this cavity inducing romance things gives Hyukjae shudders. 
He decided not to pay attention to trivial things and just did what was told. 

The author continued to teach him how to layout and edit some of the finished pages. They were working quite peacefully and Hyukjae thought that maybe he can do this (or so he hoped)
" I TOLD YOU I’M DOING EVERYTHING I CAN. NOW PLEASE CAN YOU GET OFF OF MY BACK AND I’M GOING TO MAKE SURE ITS ON YOUR DESK ON THIS ING DAY." Both of them jumped as a shout was heard from the direction where Donghae disappeared to. 
Hyukjae internally facepalmed wondering whether he did anything bad in his past life to experience this. 
"You are new aren't you?" she softly asked, he nodded reluctantly carefully cutting the paper, making sure it’s not crooked.
The author smiled reassuringly, understanding the forlorn expression on Hyukjae’s face."Well good luck with that. Donghae is quite strict and hotheaded but he means well." she says not flinching at the loud cuss heard from Donghae. 
I doubt that.

“Whats your name?” she asked as she moved from one page to another.

“Hyukjae, Lee Hyukjae.” He replied smiling and bowing slightly. “I’m sorry, but whats your name authornim?” he asked back.

“Eh. No need to be all polite, my name is Dara, Sandara Park.” She said softly, soft sniffles can still be heard.

“Nice to..”

“Hey can you skip all the pleasantries and proceed to work?” Donghae came back from that disruptive phone call and settled himself on the other side of the table, grabbing the other unedited pages.

“Sorry Hae.”

This is going to be a very long day, Hyukjae thought as he grabbed another page.

They were working for quite a long time, but they had barely finished half of the manuscript. The clock blinked the time, 6:30 pm. Hyukjae’s neck was aching, his hands are sore from repeated movements. Even Cheondoong was helping them with the backgrounds.

“Hey Hae. Do you think this is even okay?” Sandara said, her voice faltering softly and her eyes casted down,  Hyukjae knew that look. He knew it very much

“What do you mean?” Donghae said (still quite rudely, earning him glare both from Cheondoong and himself) not looking up from the page he is working on.

“This. I’m not even able to edit this. What if.. what if this fails.. what if its incoherent and messed up? Oh gods..” she stopped drawing as her hands were shaking.

“Don’t think of such petty things and finish the manuscript please.” He answered still not looking up. Hyukjae can see the author was this close to breaking down, and he know this very, very well.

“B-but I don’t think I can do..”

“Dara-ssi.” He said, taking the authors trembling hand in his. “Stop thinking of bad things. Breathe. You need to breathe. Stop thinking. Breathe.” He said smoothing the knot on her forehead. He knows a panic attack when he sees one, he also happens to know how to deal with such.

“I-I’m sure your fans will love this. The manga will be alright. All our efforts are in it right? Nothing will possibly go wrong. So Dara-ssi. Calm down. Calm down.” He said rubbing small circles at the slightly trembling hands.

“Cheondoong-ssi. Has she had any attacks before?” he asked the younger male, who looked like he didn’t know what to do.

“N-no. It must be because she hasn’t have enough rest.” The younger stuttered, standing up and letting her lean onto him.

“Here. Let her drink this.” He didn’t notice that Donghae disappeared until the editor handed them a glass of water.

“Dara-ssi” Donghae said as her breaths slowed down leaning down towards her. “When did anything that approved by me failed? This manga is going to be sold out on the first day of its release, I’m going to make sure it will be.”

It sounded as confident as he looked.

As soon as she gained her senses back she bowed down and apologized profusely.

“I’m sorry. Maybe it was the stress talking.” She reassured her little brother, patting his hair.

“Anyway, thank you Hyukjae-ssi, I never knew I had panic attack.” She smiled towards Hyukjae.”And you too Donghae, as conceited as you sounded, you were never wrong.”

“Also, I talked with the printing department and we can submit it in the morning. We have more time to definitely finish this. Just a little more.” He said going back to the page he was working on but with a hint of a surreptitious smile on those lips.

Hyukjae thinks that maybe this guy is not all that bad.

But as the editor profusely cussed the stubborn blade, he immediately changed his mind.

(They barely made it out in the morning. But thankfully the manuscript was finished and was handed to a very grumpy manager.)

(Hyukjae again questioned his bad luck as he threw himself tiredly at his couch.)