001

So Into You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yerin has always loved singing - it was the only thing that could keep her sane in the middle of the chaotic struggle of growing up. Unfortunately for her, growing up under the spotlight comes with a buttload of disadvantages. "Of course you'll get straight A, you're Baek Yerin - the physics genius from Daejeon," and "What can Yerin NOT do?" are things that magnify the pressure of becoming an adolescent. As if high school isn't hard enough, she often thinks to herself as she sighs and laments about the added pressure on her shoulders. I shouldn't have gone and performed at that talent show, she decided as she think back to That Moment.

That moment when everything changed and the world titled off of its axis for one Baek Yerin who was a 10 years old bathroom singer who became a nationwide sensation in one night after she performed Beyonce's Listen* on national TV. The attention was great - at first. And then she started getting jealous stares and she started eating her lunches alone as her classmates decided that they weren't a fan of her overnight success. So she stayed quiet - only sang in public when she absolutely has to and decided to never speak of That Moment ever again... until a kid with a weird smirk pointed out loudly as she was walking home from school one day.

"You're Baek Yerin, right? The R&B genius? Right?" he asked pestered after Yerin began speedwalking past the park towards her house, not wanting to interact with this weirdo, "I know you are because I've heard you sing!"

Yerin stopped in her tracks and turned around, "What did you say?" With a smirk, he said, "I'll see you around!" as he walked inside a house that was coincidentally next to hers.

The next day, she was in the middle of telling herself to forget about that weird kid when she found him standing in front of her house in his messily-worn uniform.

"What... what are you doing here?" she asked nervously, fiddling with the edges of her jacket. "To demand a reward!" he said proudly, earning him a puzzled and horrified look from her. But before Yerin had a chance to react, a loud screech came from the house next door.

"KIM NAMJOON!"

He looked alarmed before looking utterly terrified at the sight of the middle-aged woman that walked out, looking angry before softening at the sight of Yerin. "Aigoo... who is this? You're so pretty!" she walked over to them. Yerin could only blush and nodded her head in embarrassment, "Annyeonghaseyo. I'm Yerin," she politely bowed. "Aigoo... why didn't you tell me you ran out to meet her, Kim Namjoon! You should introduce me to your girlfriend from time to time," the woman chided him, causing Yerin's cheeks to flare at the mention of the word 'girlfriend.' "Eomma!" he complained, looking equally as embarrassed, making his mom laugh before saying goodbye and walking back to her house after handing him his lunch.

"Sorry..." he muttered after the sound of a door being shut was heard. "I... it's okay," she said.

The awkward encounter turned into walking to school together. And walking to school together turned into walking home together as well. Before they knew it, Yerin and Namjoon had spent most of their mornings and evenings together - walking and talking about what happened to them that day, what new song they're currently obsessed with (Yerin), and about the rap lyrics they recently worked on (Namjoon). They don't talk much at school as they ran in different circles and Yerin almost became a mute the moment they entered school grounds as she became quiet and spoke less and less. Namjoon noticed the change but never asked, knowing it was probably something she didn't want

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter