Chapter 3/3

Growing Up With Two Dads

 

And everything was fine for almost 5 months. Kibum and Woohyun had been going on dates regularly and the blonde really seemed like enjoyed the slightly older boy’s company. He often talked about him and told his parents exactly what they did.

Minho and Onew were both happy for their son. The first real love was often difficult but it seemed like it worked out quite well for these two.

Well, that was until Kibum came home one Friday evening with tears streaming down his cheeks like rivers and his body shaking from the force of his heavy sobs.

He stood at the door for a bit, hopelessly trying to wipe his never ending tears away, until his dads came looking for him, worried because they had heard him cry. Both of them were shocked to see their son like this since he didn’t cry that easily except something was very dear to him.

“Honey, what’s wrong?” Onew asked and was surprised as the teen came towards him, clinging to his shirt and sobbing into the fabric.

The adult was quick to wrap his arms around his son’s shaking frame, wanting to protect him from every possible harm. He wondered what had happened to make him cry like this.

“H-h-he ch-e*hiccup* n-n m-m-me,” Kibum sobbed but Onew and Minho just looked at each other cluelessly.

“What was that, honey?” Onew asked gently and Kibum leaned back a bit, going back to wiping his tears.

“H-he ch-eated on m-me,” he whimpered, sobbing harder as those words left his mouth.

“Woohyun?” Minho asked shocked and his son nodded.

“That bastard,” he hissed under his breath and glared at nothing in particular.

“He-e sa-aid I wa-as to-o bo-oring a-and to s-slow…a-and h-he wa-anted s-s-somone p-pretty a-as well be-ecause I-I wa-asnn’t h-his type and a-an-n ug-ug…u-ugly b-,” Kibum sobbed and broke down completely, both of his parents quickly hugging the fragile boy.

“That’s not true,” Onew said and Kibum’s hair while the blonde soaked his shirt with his tears. “None of that is true.”

“You are beautiful and just perfect how you are, don’t let that moron tell you otherwise,” Minho said, hugging son as well so they were on both sides of him.

They moved over to the living room and sat down on the couch, trying to calm Kibum down but that wasn’t an easy task. The boy cried endless tears and started sobbing over and over again.

It took around one hour until he hadn’t any tears left and slowly started to calm down, looking at the floor blankly while biting his quivering lip.

“Honey, hey, look at me,” Onew said gently and Kibum lifted his head, puff, red eyes looking at his father sadly.

“Don’t listen to what he said, he isn’t worth you. If he can’t accept you for who you are and doesn’t see how beautiful and loving you are, than that’s his loss.”

Kibum looked down and sniffled quietly.

 

Kibum was having a nightmare that night. He saw Woohyun in front of him, swearing at him and insulting him as an ugly and other things.

The blonde tried to defend himself somehow but no words left his mouth. He was like frozen and only listened to what was thrown at him, nodding like an obedient child which was scolded by its parents.

Then he saw a girl with a smug grin on her face walking towards Woohyun and taking his hand in hers, leaning onto him and glaring at Kibum. She hissed at him, asking Woohyun why this ugly was watching them and that was when the slightly older guy started chasing him, screaming at him and almost punching the poor boy who didn’t know what he had done wrong.

He woke up with a start, looking around scared and relaxing a bit as he noticed no one was there. He turned around and hugged Kiko, burying his face in the small fox’s fur and trying to stop the tears which started rolling down his face.

He was just so pathetic.

He tried to calm himself down but nothing helped and he just felt so lonely and rejected. He wanted someone to hug him and tell him everything was alright and he had done nothing wrong.

Kibum didn’t want to disturb anyone around this hour of the night but he just couldn’t stop crying so he got out of bed, wiping his eyes with his long pajama sleeve and opening the door quietly, peeking into the hallway.

Everything was dark, just like he had expected.

Carefully he sneaked towards his parents’ bedroom and opened the door quietly. He peeked inside and listened to his dads’ relaxed breathing for a while, not knowing what he should do.

He didn’t want to wake them up but…

He sniffled again, pressing Kiko closer to his chest and remembering all those nights he had sneaked into his parents’ bedroom when he have had a nightmare or had been scared to sleep alone in his room.

Sometimes they hadn’t even noticed him until they woke up the next morning.

He considered just going back to his room and deal with his problems alone since he was already 15 after all and not a little child anymore but he didn’t feel like being alone at the moment so he entered the room and closed the door behind himself, trying hard to keep quiet but some small sobs still escaped him.

“Dad?” he asked with a shaky voice and shook his dad’s shoulder who of course wouldn’t wake up from this. He always slept like a rock.

“Dad? P-Please…I don’t want to be a-alone,” Kibum said quietly, shaking his father more while fresh tears rushed down his cheeks.

“D-dad…”

Kibum was close to whimpering but he bit his lip, not wanting to sound even more pathetic than he already did.

“Kibum?” his dad’s voice piped up, hoarse from sleep and sounding deeper than normal.

Kibum’s grip on Kiko tightened in relieve and he nodded, slowly getting cold without a blanket to keep him warm and the cold floor under his bare feet.

He sobbed quietly and that shook his dad out of his sleepy state.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” he asked softly, sitting up and waking up Onew as well who rubbed his eyes sleepily but woke up completely as he heard his son’s quiet sobs.

“Honey, are you okay?” Onew asked concerned but the blonde only shook his head one more time which was difficult to see in the darkness.

“C-can I sleep with y-you tonight?” he asked quietly, his voice still shaky and both of his parents smiled softly.

“Of course, come here,” Minho said and lifted the covers so Kibum could get into bed and settle in between the two adults who were quick to wrap their arms around his body in a protecting manner.

They were glad to know Kibum wasn’t afraid of coming to them when he had a problem even if he was already a teenager but still, they would be always be there for him.

The poor boy was crying quietly and shaking a bit for quite a while but it wasn’t as bad as before. His parents made sure to keep him close and his back and hair in a calming manner. They were both really mad at Woohyun for doing this to their son and knew it was their job to make sure Kibum wouldn’t cry over him for weeks.

Maybe Taemin could help as well. He was like a little brother for Kibum so they would definitely call him tomorrow and ask him to help them cheery up the heartbroken teen.

Kibum had really liked Woohyun and it was like a slap in the face to hear those words from him. If someone else had said it he would have probably turned into diva mode and had trampled the person until they were a flat as a pancake but he could never do that with people he cared about.

He had been way to shocked and hurt to say something in return so he had just turned around and run away, straight back to his home and now here he was, lying in his parent’s bed and thinking about that bastard.

He shook his head lightly, chasing those thoughts away and snuggled more into his dads’ embraces, feeling a lot better with their warm and protecting bodies on both sides of him

 

Onew woke up the next morning first and smiled as he saw Kibum resting between them, sleeping peacefully and Kiko still hugged to his chest.

That fox was one lucky plushie. The boy had always taken care of it, took it with him everywhere when he had been younger and even now it was still his best friend when he was sad or angry.

Onew had caught him talking to the plushie a few times already, telling him how angry he was at Taemin for stealing his banana milk, how unfair it was of his parents to forbid him to go to some girl’s party, how awesome the latest K-Drama was and how good his cooking skills already were.

He looked up and his eyes with Minhos’ which were barely opened and he chuckled quietly.

“Morning,” Minho mumbled quietly, careful not to wake up Kibum since he was a light sleeper, just like his daddy.

“Morning,” Onew whispered back. “I’ll go make breakfast. Will you stay here with him?”

Minho nodded.

“Okay.” Onew slowly stood up and changed quickly into some clothes before he went downstairs, leaving the two boys behind.

Back in the bedroom Minho was smiling down at his son, watching him sleep and once again though about how much the blonde had grown and how fast he had become older. Time really flew by and Kibum had matured into a fine, young man.

The boy mumbled something in his sleep and turned his face towards his father’s chest, snuggling closer to him and Minho wrapped his arms around his son’s body in a protecting manner.

No one was allowed to hurt his boy and he wished he could tear this Woohyun guy into pieces but he couldn’t do that. Maybe he should call his mother and tell her what kind of person her son really was.

He shook his head and sighed quietly, looking down as Kibum started to stir and moved his long legs. He blinked his eyes open sleepily and turned his head a bit so he could look at his father.

The latter smiled softly and moved his son’s fringe back so he could look into his eyes.

“Did you sleep well?” he asked and Kibum nodded slightly, yawning once to prove his point.

“Where is daddy?” he mumbled, still half asleep and Minho chuckled.

“Downstairs preparing breakfast.”

“Breakfast?”

“Hmm.”

“I’m hungry…”

“Should we go eat?”

“Hmm.”

“Alright then come on, sleepyhead.”

Minho heaved his son out of bed and threw him over his shoulder.

“Yah, dad!” the blonde protested but his father just patted his lightly.

“No problem, dad has this under control,” he said almost hearing how his son rolled his eyes.

“Fine but I wanna have my socks or I’ll get cold feet.”

“Okay, okay, we’ll go get them.”

So they went to Kibum’s room like this and the adult picked up his son’s fluff socks from the ground before he walked towards the kitchen where Onew was placing food onto the table.

“Hey honey,” he called and Kibum tried to somehow turn so he could look at his daddy but it was hopeless.

“Hey daddy,” he just called instead before he was finally sat down again.

They ate breakfast together and Kibum felt a bit better but he was still down so Taemin came shortly after breakfast, taking the blonde’s hand after he had gotten ready and pulling him outside so they could do something and he’d forget about the harsh breakup.

It was weekend after all so they had a lot of time and Kibum was allowed to stay out with Taemin until 9 since both of them were pretty reasonable and wouldn’t do something stupid.

It took Kibum a few more days but then he was finally back to his old self and was laughing along with his friends and parents.

 

 

 

“Onew, can I talk with you for a second?” Minho asked as he entered the kitchen.

“Sure, what’s wrong?” His lover said with a sweet smile while drying of the dishes he had just washed up.

“It’s about Kibum,” the younger said as he sat down at the table while Onew crooked his head.

“What exactly?” he wanted to know as he put the plates away.

“I don’t know if I’m only imagining things but…” Minho struggled a bit with how he should phrase his concerns. “I think he’s too skinny. Whenever I hug him I fear he might break into pieces and his arms are so thin and…” he sighed. “Do you know what I mean?”

Onew was quiet for a while, looking at the spoon in his hand intensely. “I know what you mean but Kibum has a natural tendency of being skinny,” he said.

“I know but still. I mean he was always skinny and not very muscular but I just got this feeling during the last two weeks that it has gotten more noticeable.”

The older nodded. “Did you talk to him about this?” he questioned but Minho shook his head.

“I have no idea how to approach him. It’s not like I can just ask him how much he weights and then google if it’s enough.”

Onew chuckled at his husbands words. “Then maybe we should talk to him together,” he suggested and his lover nodded.

“I think that would be for the best.”

 

That’s how they gathered in the living room after dinner, Kibum looking at his parents a bit puzzled because he didn’t know why they wanted to talk to him so suddenly but it seemed to be pretty serious how he could judge from their expressions.

“Honey, your dad and I have been a bit…worried about you lately,” Onew said and looked at his son’s surprised expression.

“Did something happen or is there something you want to tell us?” he asked gently and Kibum only blinked for a few moments.

“There actually isn’t anything that would be worth telling you…nothing that should concern you, I guess,” the 16 year old said.

Onew nodded softly.

“But still,” Minho said. “I…I have noticed that you have lost weight and…I’m a bit worried,” he finally said.

Kibum shifted in his spot and started chewing on his lower lip. “Is it that noticeable?” he asked quietly and looked at his parents from under his bangs.

“Well, we both noticed,” Minho said and watched his son carefully. He had no intentions of making him feel uncomfortable but the blonde was in the middle of puberty so teens could easily get strange ideas or be pressured by what people around them said.

He wanted his son to feel comfortable in his own skin and right now it seemed like that wasn’t the case so he wanted to know why because Kibum really didn’t need to worry.

Minho and Onew often talked about how pretty their son had become over the years and his personality wasn’t bad either. He was really nice and polite, had quite a lot of friends, good grades so they didn’t what could possibly be wrong.

The teen sighed quietly and his shoulder dropped a bit. “It’s nothing major, really,” he said and glanced at his parents. “I’m just kind of…I don’t know how to put it…”

“You know you can tell us everything, honey,” Onew said with a gently smile and sat up a bit more.

“I know,” Kibum said and nodded. “This is actually a bit silly and embarrassing but…you know…almost every one of my friends has either a boyfriend or a girlfriend and somehow I’m the only who…doesn’t have one,” he said quietly, avoiding eye contact because this really was embarrassing for him since he was pretty confident normally.

“So I thought maybe I’m not pretty enough because no one ever approaches me. I didn’t plan on starving myself or anything…I just wanted to get rid of some kilos,” he almost mumbled at the end.

The two adults were relieved to hear it wasn’t a major concern. It was something almost every teen in his age (and sometimes even adults) had.

“You know,” Onew said with a big smile. “The longer you have to wait, the better he’s going to be in the end.”

Kibum looked up at him bewildered. “What’s that supposed to mean?” he asked confused and his Onew laughed.

“What your daddy wants to say,” Minho jumped in. “It that you don’t have to worry. You’ll find the right one in the end and you’re still young. You’re pretty, confident, smart, friendly. There is nothing you would have to be worried about.”

“You’re right one just hasn’t spotted you yet,” Onew added with a wink. “Or he spotted you already and is planning how he should approach you right now.”

Kibum smiled softly. “That would be nice,” he said quietly.

“Don’t worry honey and you don’t have to lose weight to attract attention, okay? You’re perfect just how you are.”

The blonde’s smile widened and he nodded. “Thanks dads,” he said and kissed both of the adults’ cheeks before he went back to his room.

“Mission success!” Onew shouted and Minho laughed at his random outburst.

 

 

 

“Dads?” The voice of the 17 year old teen rang through the living room and his parents looked up to see him standing at the corner.

“I though you wanted to go out with a friend.” Onew said and Kibum bit his lip.

“Change of plans,” he said and smiled softly, almost nervously. “I want you to meet someone.”

He stepped aside and revealed another boy/man (those were blurring together) who was slightly shorter than himself. He had brown hair and was more muscular than Kibum which wasn’t difficult since the boy was pretty skinny. The other grinned and only then the two adults noticed the boys’ pinkies were linked with each other.

“Dads, this is Jonghyun he’s my…boyfriend,” Kibum said and smiled softly while his parents just blinked dumbfounded.

“Hi, Mr. and Mr. Choi,” Jonghyun said and bowed.

“Honey…when did you get yourself a boyfriend,” Onew asked surprised after a few moments and Kibum avoided his gaze, not really knowing what to say.

“We’ve know each other for a few months but we only got together a week ago,” Jonghyun answered instead of Kibum who looked at him from under his long lashes.

“Oh…that’s….that’s nice…wonderful,” Onew said, smiling at his son. “Nice to meet you, Jonghyun.”

Kibum smiled and then looked at his dad since he knew he’d probably be the one to make this complicated.

“How old are you?” Minho asked Jonghyun who didn’t mind the coldness in his voice.

“I just turned 19, sir,” the brunette replied, not forgetting to use honorifics. They had just met and they were his boyfriend’s parents after all so he couldn’t mess this up but he was pretty calm about this whole situation.

“Aren’t you too old for him?” Minho asked, a slightly glare in his gaze and Kibum shot a glare back.

“Dad,” he said almost warningly.

“I don’t think so,” Jonghyun said, still smiling. “I’m only one and a half years older than your son.”

“I think that’s too old,” Minho said coldly until Onew elbowed him, looking at him with a scowl.

“Ignore him, he just a bit grumpy,” he said towards his son’s boyfriend.

 

That is how they met Jonghyun and everything was fine so far although Minho still glared at him when he saw him near Kibum, would complain he was too old and not the right one for his son and he still hadn’t told Jonghyun to calm him Minho, like Onew had done it already. No, to Jonghyun he was still Mr. Choi even after more than three months.

“What is your problem?” Kibum asked angrily one evening after Jonghyun had brought him home and his dad hadn’t stopped glaring at the poor brunette until he left.

“He’s too old and he acts like a player,” Minho said and the blonde rolled his eyes in annoyance.

“He’s not too old and he does not act like a player. How can you say that when you don’t even know him?” Kibum asked frustrated.

“I know how people are when I see them he is not the right one for you.”

“What makes you say that?”

“I just know it.”

“That doesn’t answer my question.”

“It wasn’t supposed to because you wouldn’t understand. Only a parent can see this.”

“Then why dose daddy not have problem with him?” Kibum asked, fed up with his dad’s behavior.

“Your daddy is too soft, he just likes everyone that looks decent but I can tell what kind of person that Jonghyun guy is.”

“Please enlighten me,” Kibum said, venom dripping from his voice.

“He’s a bad guy, he isn’t good for you.”

“But I love him,” Kibum said and Minho turned around to look at his son with cold eyes.

“You said the same about Woohyun.”

That was like a slap in the face for Kibum and his breath got caught in his throat for one moment until he recovered and glared at his father.

Minho seemed to realize what he had just said and his eyes widened slightly, wanting to say something but Kibum was faster.

“I ing hate you,” he hissed and turned around to run to his room, slamming the door shut and Minho winced at the sound.

He cursed himself inside of his head for being so stupid. How could he say something like this?! How could he be so stoic and just blurt this out like it was nothing. He knew how depressed Kibum had been over the harsh breakup and…just…argh!

“What did you do this time?” Onew asked softly from behind him and Minho sighed, burying his face in his hands.

“The exact wrong thing, like always.”

The older sighed and sat down next to his husband. “Tell me about it.”

“I just want Kibum to understand that I want the best for him. This Jonghyun guy might break him again like Woohyun did it before. I don’t want him to go through the same one more time. He doesn’t always have to be left alone and heartbroken.”

“But what makes you say Jonghyun would be like that?” Onew asked.

“He could be,” Minho reasoned and Onew sighed.

“Have you ever looked at them closely?” he asked and the younger was silent, thinking about the question.

“Have you seen how they hold hands under the table because they think no one can see it like this? Have you seen how they always smile at each other and how Jonghyun makes sure that Kibum goes right next to him. Have you seen how Jonghyun looks at Kibum? He always reminds me of a love-sick puppy,” Onew said and smiled softly.

“And have you seen how Kibum always snickers behind his hands when Jonghyun tells something funny or how he leans onto him when he thinks no one is looking and how much he blushes around him?”

Minho was silent for a few moments before he shook his head. No, he hadn’t seen any of it. He had been too busy glaring at Jonghyun to notice that adoring look in his eyes every time he looked at Kibum.

“They remind me of us when we had just become a couple, you know?” Onew said quietly and squeezed his husband’s hand.

“Give them a chance, okay? You can’t protect Kibum like a small flower in your yard. We have to let him go when time comes and I think he found someone who will welcome him with open arms.”

Minho smiled at his lover’s way to put thinks, almost like a wise poet. But those moments never lasted long. He would soon turn back into his dorky, chicken-maniac self.

“You’re right,” the younger said and leaned in to peck his husband’s soft lips. “I’ll go talk to him.”

With that he stood up and went towards Kibum’s room, knocking on the closed door and listening but he couldn’t hear anything from inside.

“Kibum?” he asked and opened the door, only to get one big shock.

“Onew!” he called and a few seconds later the older appeared in the door frame, his eyes widening.

“Oh god, please don’t tell me…” he whispered.

Kibum’s room was empty. There was not a single trace of their son but instead n widely opened window. They lived on the ground floor so the window was only a meter above the ground.

“Kibum!” Minho called but no answer came.

“Minho, what should we do?” Onew asked, sounding slightly afraid. Who wouldn’t be when their child suddenly went missing when it was already pitch black outside?

“He’s okay, I’m sure he’s okay,” Minho said, sounding like he tried to reassure the older and himself as well. He left the room and went to grab his keys and cellphone.

“You better stay here if he comes back,” he told Onew who only nodded numbly, biting his nails which he only did when he was really worried.

The door fell shut once Minho was outside and he started his car, driving the way towards Taemin’s house since that was the first thing that come into his mind but the streets were empty. He cursed under his breath and drove through other streets, looking left and right, searching for his missing son with a quickly beating heart.

He didn’t want to admit it but he was scarred. What if something happened? Where was Kibum? What if someone had hurt him?

Kibum wasn’t stupid but he wasn’t strong either. He was skinny and he didn’t have a lot of strength. He was an easy target and who knew who was walking those streets at this time of the night.

Minho gave up looking for his son after over an hour and drove back home, hoping he had might come back but the look on Onew’s face when he opened the door told him he didn’t.

“What should we do?” Onew asked quietly, his voice wavering and tears collecting in his eyes.

This had never happened before and both of them were worried out of their minds.

“I’m sure he is alright,” Minho said, hugging his lover who was crying by now. He Onew’s hair, hoping to calm him down and wiped his eyes.

Suddenly Minho’s cellphone started ringing and he quickly too it out of his pocket, his heart jumping as he saw the caller ID.

Kibum

“Kibum!” he called once he had pressed the green button. “Do you even know how worried we were? Don’t you dare to do this every again. Where are you!” he asked, not letting the person on the other line speak.

“It’s not Kibum, it’s me, Mr. Choi,” a familiar voice said and Minho didn’t know what to feel at the moment.

“Where is Kibum?” he demanded to know immediately.

“Don’t worry, he’s completely fine. He’s with me. I have no idea what happened because I couldn’t make out that much from what he said in between his sobs but I think it has something to do with you and that bastard who cheated on him…..sorry for that,” Jonghyun said and Minho sighed in relieve, glad to know his son was save so far and not in some dark alley.

“How is he?” he asked quietly.

“He’s okay…at least I think so. It took me quite a while to calm him down and right now he’s sleeping against my shoulder so I guess he was pretty tired after his crying fit and running over here. It’s not like I’m living just around the corner.”

It was quiet for a while before Jonghyun spoke up again. “I don’t want to be rude, Mr. Choi but I’d recommend you don’t do whatever you did again because he looked quite shaken up when he got here.”

Minho bit his lip. “I won’t,” he said quietly.

“I’m glad,” Jonghyun said. “I’d say he stays here for the night-”

“No way! I’ll come pick him up right now,” Minho almost shouted.

“…because I’m sure you aren’t the person he wants to see right now.”

Minho quieted down again.

“It’s late and he’s already asleep anyways,” Jonghyun voice reached his ear. “You can come pick him up tomorrow or I’ll bring him home, that’s up to you.”

“I’ll come get him,” Minho quickly said.

“Alright then I’ll send you the address. Oh and Mr. Choi?”

“Yes?” Minho asked.

“I’m not like that other guy. You probably won’t believe me just yet but I guess that’s the role of a parent after all but I can assure you that I have absolutely no intentions of hurting Kibum in any kind of way. I actually want to protect him from any kind of harm and I’d love to take care of him if you’d let me.”

Minho was silent and looked up at Onew for a second who had only heard one side of the conversation but he wasn’t dumb so he had put one and one together. He smiled at his husband and nodded encouragingly.

“I’m still not sure what I should think of you but…you can call me Minho.”

Jonghyun chuckled. “Okay then, Minho. I guess we’ll see each other tomorrow?”

“Yeah, I’ll come at around 11.”

“Alright, give my regards to Onew.”

With that the phone call ended and Minho lowered his cell phone with a small smile on his lips.

“And?” Onew asked curiously.

“He’s in good hands,” Minho just said and his lover smiled.

 

 

 

Kibum went home from high school with light steps, a grin plastered to his face, his dark brown hair bouncing with every step and the letter safely stored away in his skater backpack although he didn’t possess a skateboard but it was stylish so he had bought it. Or more like his parents had bought it for him.

He opened the front door with his key and went inside, taking off his shoes and putting them away neatly because he hated it whenever his dad let his shoes lie around everywhere so he had to be a good example.

“I’m home!” he called as he strolled towards the kitchen where he found his dad in the middle choosing what he should cook for dinner.

“Hey honey,” he said and kissed his son’s cheek who sat his backpack down and took out a letter. He handed it do his daddy who looked at him surprised.

“What’s this?” he asked curiously.

“Just read it,” Kibum said with a grin and his father started reading everything written on the paper, his eyes widened with every sentence. He couldn’t believe it.

“That…that’s…” Onew stammered because he didn’t really know what to say.

“That’s amazing!” he finally blurted out and hugged his grinning son.

“I know right?” he said excited and jumped up and down. “I didn’t even know Mrs. Kwang did that. I had no idea why she asked me for a bunch of drawings.”

“We have to celebrate this,” Onew said and nodded determinate. “Once your dad gets home we’ll go out to eat dinner at any restaurant you want, okay?”

Kibum nodded excited and skipped to his room, the smile never even once leaving his face.

“What happened to you?” Minho asked with a chuckle when he came home from work and saw his madly grinning son already waiting for him.

“Oh I just got a letter and I wanted to show it to you,” he said and Minho already knew something was up. It had to be something really good to make Kibum act like this.

“Alright then but wait until I sat down,” Minho joked and went to the living room where he sat down on the couch and took the sheet of paper from his son.

 

Dear Mr. Choi Kibum

After I received the drawings that you art teacher Mrs. Kwang sent to me, I was quite surprised to see how much talent a young man of your age has. The numerous pictures are one of a kind and speak for themselves. Various use of different styles and tools were abundant which is important to us and a trademark for our students.

We discussed the matter along our colleagues and came to the conclusion to offer you a scholarship for the College Of Art And Design in Seoul.

We would be honored to have such a talented student attend our college and we look forward to your decision.

Further details can be discussed with me our Mrs. Lee, our secretary, as soon as we receive your reply.

 

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kim Mi-Hyun, headmistress of the College Of Art And Design in Seoul

 

Minho’s mouth opened and closed for a few times, staring at the piece of paper in his hand until he turned his head towards his grinning son.

“This is awesome!” he said and Kibum nodded happily.

“Will you accept it?” he asked.

“Of course!” Kibum almost shouted. “Dad, that it the College of Art And Design! That’s the best in the whole town!” he squeaked.

 

“I’m so proud of you,” Minho said and hugged his son. He knew how much Kibum enjoyed drawing and it was amazing he got the offer of a scholarship because normally it was really expensive to go to that college and he didn’t know if they could have afford it although he earned a lot of money.

“I told him we’d celebrate by going out for dinner,” Onew said who had suddenly appeared next to his husband.

“Of course we’ll go,” Minho said. “Where do you wanna go?” he asked Kibum.

“To that Italian we went last time.”

“Alright the let’s go.”

That’s how they went out, Minho still in his suit but he didn’t care. He was really happy for his son and wished it would work out for him and it would be like he had imagined.

 

Jonghyun hugged the living daylight out of his lover once he heard the news and spun him around until both of them were dizzy.

“This is amazing, Bummie,” he said and kissed the younger who was still smiling like a fool.

“I just can’t believe they offered me a scholarship,” Kibum mumbled as he snuggled into the elder’s chest.

“Of course they would, your drawing and sketches are amazing,” Jonghyun said and Kibum blushed.

“Aigoo, look at them hunny,” Onew said and grinned at the young couple, causing Kibum to groan and hide in his lover’s chest.

“They really are two love-birds ,” Minho added and Kibum wished the ground would swallow him. His parents were just so damn embarrassing.

 

 

 

“Daddy?” the 18 year old Kibum asked and sat down next to his father quietly.

“Yes, honey?”

The boy fiddled with his fingers and played with the hem of his shirt, biting his lips and his eyes darted around the room. God, this was just too embarrassing but he was too curious for his own good.

“The…first time,” he said quietly and Onew ears perked up. Oho…

“Does it hurt?” Kibum asked, his voice barely above a whisper and he looked to the side, his cheeks a bit red and he was beyond embarrassed to ask this.

Onew chuckled softly and looked at his embarrassed son who peeked at him from under his lashes. “Well, it depends but yes, it hurts.”

Kibum swallowed softly and looked at the ground. He opened his mouth but closed it again, looking like he debated whether he should ask his next question or not.

“Honey, look at me,” Onew said and the boy turned his head to look at his father. “You know you don’t have to be embarrassed to ask me something.”

Kibum took a shaky breath and nodded, looking away again. “How…does it…work?” he finally managed to ask quietly.

Onew sat up a bit more and thought about possible ways to explain this. “I’m sure you and Jonghyun are already further than only kissing in your relationship,” he said and Kibum cleared his throat and shifted uncomfortably. That was enough to give him away.

“You can’t really say ‘Okay then today we’re gonna have !’.”

Kibum blushed and looked like he wanted to hide behind one of the pillows that lay next to them. It funny to think that a few years ago he had been talking about this openly during their meals and now he was blushing like there was no tomorrow.

“It just blends in. Normally you just start making out and then, when both of you are ready, you can take it further but I recommend you use a bed and not a couch because you’ll want to sleep after having for the first time.”

Kibum shifted again. “Daddy,” he mumbled. “Could you try not to…blurt this out like it isn’t a big deal?” he murmured and Onew laughed.

“Oh honey, you are just too shy.”

“Am not,” Kibum said with a pout.

“Then stop complaining.”

The young adult huffed but stayed silent.

“Alright then, where was I? Oh yeah, I remember. Like I said, do it on a bed. Well, you both will take your clothes off, obviously. Then you’ll probably stare at each other like you are aliens and then you’ll touch each other everywhere.”

Kibum took a pillow and buried his head in it, groaning loudly. “Why did I even ask?”

“The best is still about to come,” Onew teased and went on with explaining.

“Since you are obviously not a girl, you’ll have to be prepared first or it’s really going to hurt and you’ll probably get injured as well, especially the first few times, after that it’ll get easier. I mean everyone can imagine how painful it would be to put a stick inside your butthole.”

“Daddy!” Kibum whined.

“Okay, okay, relax. So preparation. Jonghyun is most certainly going to do this part. He’ll start really slowly, just with one finger.”

“F-finger?” Kibum asked in a high pitched voice.

“Of course, honey. What else do you want to use?”

Kibum stayed silent so Onew continued. “You’ll need lube so be sure you always have that close by. And remember to use condoms!”

“Yes…”

“Good. So you’ll start slowly, just one finger. It’s really weird at first but you’ll get used to it and then comes the second finger. It’ll start to hurt because Jonghyun is going to stretch you.”

Kibum almost started crying from embarrassment.

“Then the third. That one is really uncomfortable but when Jonghyun finds your prostate you’ll feel like you have arrived in heaven. He’ll take his fingers out and when both of you are ready he’ll push in. That really hurts the first time so take your time and get adjusted to that feeling. After that you can do everything you want but don’t overdo it or you won’t be able to walk the next morning. You’ll be thankful for all of my tips later on,” Onew said and nodded.

“Yeah…thanks daddy,” Kibum mumbled and quickly dashed away, stopping by the bathroom to splash his face with some cold water before he continued his way towards his room where he flopped down on his bed with a groan and hid inside of his sheets, hoping to calm down a bit.

 

 

 

“Oh, look who’s coming home from a wild night,” Onew said and nudged Minho next to him as he heard the front door opening and saw Kibum making his way towards his room with a slight limp.

Minho’s eyes widened and he gaped at his husband who only nodded his head.

“I’m home!” Kibum called and jumped in surprise as both of his parents suddenly appeared in front of him.

“How was it?” Onew asked with a smirk and Kibum blinked a few times, obviously trying to come up with an excuse.

“I…I have no idea what you’re talking about,” he finally said and smiled nervously.

“Oh really?” Minho asked and went over to his son whose eyes followed him.

“Yeah…” Kibum said quietly.

“Alright then come sit with us,” he said and took his son’s wrist, dragging him towards the couch and pushing him down so he could sit on it.

A small whimper left Kibum’s mouth and he bit his lip as he winced from the pain that shot up his back.

“Aha!” Minho shouted in victory. “So you did have !”

Kibum blushed and looked away. “N-no I just…fell down yesterday,” he said, hoping to save himself somehow.

“Don’t try to deny it, young man, I know exactly how someone walks after their first time,” Minho said and Onew grinned sheepishly.

“How was it?” he asked again and his son sighed, knowing he couldn’t hide it from his parents.

“Good,” he mumbled quietly.

“So my tips helped?” his daddy asked happily.

“You gave him tips?” Minho asked bewildered.

“Of course, he asked me how it worked.”

“He did?”

“Yeah and I explained him everything.”

“Oh…I could have told him some things too.”

“I know but you weren’t there at the moment.

“But I know so many things.”

“I know, I know. Maybe you can’t tell him later on for his next time.”

“I’ll do that.”

“Dads!” Kibum finally yelled, his cheeks flushed and he glared at his dads who were looking at him innocently.

“Stop this, okay? I t was good, yes and now leave me alone,” he said and stood up, running limping towards his bedroom and slamming the door shut.

“Do you think we embarrassed him?” Onew asked curiously.

“Nah, he’s just still a bit…overwhelmed from this new experience.”

 

 

 

Kibum and Jonghyun were once again holding hands under the table while they ate dinner, looking at the other with love sick gazes and the feet nudging each other from time to time.

Minho and Onew just grinned and shook their heads. The young couple was still too lovey dovey for their own good but it was amusing to watch.

Suddenly the doorbell rang and everyone looked quite bewildered since normally no one walked around and rang someone’s bell around this time of the day anymore.

“I’ll go get it,” Kibum said and stood up, leaving the kitchen to go to the front door.

Jonghyun’s eyes followed him until he couldn’t see him anymore and a small pout sneaked onto his face.

“Don’t worry, he’ll come back,” Onew teased and the puppy like male pouted even more.

“He should come back now,” he whined and the two adults chuckled.

It was quiet for some moments before a scream rang through the apartment followed by a hysteric “DAD!”.

In the matter of seconds everyone bolted out of their seats and ran to the front door only to see Kibum in the middle of being dragged away by a man. He was squirming around in between his arms, trying to escape somehow and protesting loudly.

All Jonghyun and Minho saw was red and both of them bolted forward while Onew only stood there, too shocked to do anything.

“Let him go!” Jonghyun growled and twisted on of the man’s right hand while Minho took care of the other one.

The man yelped and Kibum used that chance to escape, backing away from the kidnapper and hid behind his boyfriend, clinging to the back of his shirt and his small frame shaking in shock and fear.

Jonghyun stood in front of the younger protectively, glaring at the man opposite of him who rubbed his probably aching wrists with a grim expression.

“How dare you to hurt him?!” a woman squeaked and Jonghyun only noticed her now. She stood next to the man and glared at the two strong males opposite of her.

“How dare you touch my son?!” Minho hissed back, his expression more than furious and every sane person would have run away already.

“That boy is our property so we can touch him how we want,” the woman spat back in her awful voice and Kibum whimpered quietly behind Jonghyun at being described as someone’s property.

The older reached for his lover’s hand and squeezed it reassuringly.

“He is no one’s property,” Jonghyun growled lowly, wanting to smack the woman and that stupid man.

“Of course he is! I’m his mother’s sister so the law says I’m in charge of him.”

Kibum gasped quietly behind Jonghyun, his eyes widening and a thousand thoughts were rushing through his head at the moment.

His mother’s sister? That meant this woman was his aunt. But why should she be in charge of him? Wasn’t his mother in charge of him if someone was in charge of him at all? Was there even such a law?

Wait…this would mean that…his real mother…was dead.

His mind overturned.

“Even if that was the case,” Minho said calmly but his voice wasn’t friendly at all. “He’s officially our son and he’s 18 so he is in charge of himself and now leave!”

“We don’t care and he comes with us,” the man now said and reached out of grab Kibum’s small wrist one more time but Jonghyun slapped his hand away.

“Don’t you dare to touch him one more time,” he said, fire burning in his eyes and his voice deeper than Kibum had ever heard it. It was actually kind of scary.

“Out of the way, kid,” the man said, unaffected by Jonghyun’s threatening voice. He reached out and was somehow able to get a hold of Kibum’s small wrist pulling him towards himself while the boy shrieked in shock.

Jonghyun meanwhile resembled an angry dinosaur and punched the man, surprising everyone and now it was the woman’s turn to shriek.

“Are you crazy!?”

Jonghyun just sneered and made sure Kibum was alright, standing in front of him once again.

“I wanted to take care of him!” the woman shriek in her awful voice. “I wouldn’t have let him turn into something like that!” she pointed at Kibum who whimpered quietly, not really understanding what the hell was going on.

“But no, you had to raise him into such a thing and now there is nothing we could have done to save at least a bit. We could have given him a purposeful life and a good education. He would have worked as a business man and we would have found the perfect woman for him but NO! People like you ruined him. Now he’s a piece a trash and nothing can be saved anymore!” she yelled making Kibum flinch and tears pooling at his eyes.

“Just look how he is running around! In our household he would have never gotten the chance to dress like this, too bad that I only heard of the son of my already dead sister who is the son some random man who ran off as soon as he heard the news. At least he must have been decent looking. We could have made a great business out of this,” the woman continued and pointed at Kibum who was clinging onto Jonghyun.

“Leave right this instant and I dare you to say one more word about my son and I won’t be this friendly anymore,” Minho said dangerously low and it seemed like the two got the message.

The man already had a black eye, he probably didn’t want another one.

“Don’t come running to us when you sit on the streets one day!” the woman yelled at Kibum. “Bastard’s child,” she hissed with disgust before she stalked away, the man following her after he had glared at everyone one last time.

As soon as the fancy car was out of sight Kibum started crying like there was no tomorrow and Jonghyun was quick to wrap his arms around his poor boyfriend.

“It’s okay, it’s okay,” he whispered and petted the younger’s hair in a calming manner, letting him sob into his shoulder.

Minho watched his son sadly and didn’t quite know what to do. It wasn’t every day that someone just came over and wanted to take your child all of the sudden.

“It’s okay, pumpkin, they’re gone,” Jonghyun whispered softly and continued Kibum’s back, holding him against his chest.

Kibum slowly calmed down but didn’t made any attempt to get out of his boyfriend’s embrace so they stayed put for a little while longer.

“Are you okay?” Jonghyun asked softly and Kibum nodded into his shoulder, leaning back to wipe his puffy eyes.

The older took his hand and lead him back inside, Onew and Minho following the pair with worried expressions on their faces.

“You wouldn’t have let me go, right?” Kibum asked quietly, looking down at the floor.

“Of course not,” Jonghyun protested loudly and Kibum nodded, leaning against him and tapping his arms until the older wrapped them around him once again, snuggling into his chest and closing his eyes for a moment before he looked at his parents.

“Did you know about…my mother?” he asked quietly, almost carefully and the two adults shook their heads, their expressions still a bit gloomy.

“We had no idea, we never had contact or even knew about any of your relatives,” Onew said softly, watching his son’s expression carefully. They had talked about Kibum’s real family a few times and the boy had always known that the two weren’t his real parents but it always felt like it.

Kibum didn’t know what to feel about the current situation. He had just heard that his mother was dead and that his father seemed to be some irresponsible man who had run off after his mother had gotten pregnant.

His aunt was basically crazy, probably homophobic and only cared about money and appearance. His uncle was her doll, did everything he was told to do, didn’t care about personal space or manners and seemed to be a bit short tempered.

Basically his aunt and uncle had wanted him to be raised by them, turned into another doll, succeed as a business man, marry some stupid girl, have many children and earn as much money as possible.

Geez, was this some kind or drama show or what?

Kibum sighed. “I guess my…other family is quite messed up,” he said and smiled softly. “But I don’t care, I have you guys.”

 

 

 

Kibum took one deep breath, telling himself he could do this while he looked at his reflection. A guy with light brown colored hair, rainbow highlights and multiply pierced ears stared back at him with an encouraging smile. He opened the door and went towards the living room where his parents had settled after dinner.  He was already 20 years old so this shouldn’t be a problem, right?

Well he was still nervous to tell his parents about his plans.

“Honey,” his daddy almost squealed as he saw his son which made Kibum snicker.

“I wanted to tell you something,” he said and saw his dad taking a deep breath jokingly, mentally preparing for everything that could possibly come.

“I’m going to move out.”

……Silence

“You…what?” Onew shrieked shocked and looked at his son with big eyes.

“I’m going to move out soon,” Kibum replied with a smile.

“But…but where will you live? You don’t have a job and you’re still going to college and who is going to look after you?” Onew threw the question at him like a tennis ball machine.

“Let me guess,” Minho said and sat up a bit more. “You’re going to move in with Jonghyun?”

Kibum smiled happily and nodded. His boyfriend of three years had asked him if he wanted to move in with him when he found a new apartment and Kibum had been quick to agree. Of course he was sad about leaving his parents but he couldn’t stay home forever and he felt like now was the point where he wanted to be independent and try to build up his own life.

“Yeah we’re currently searching for apartments,” Kibum said happily. As an art student and a lover of everything involving it he had lots of fun planning how their new future home would look like.

Minho only nodded while Onew sat there, opening and closing his mouths like a goldfish.

“But…but…” he said until Minho patted his thigh.

“Onew, I think he’s old enough to stand on his own two feet.”

The older turned to gap at his husband. “Who are you and what did you do to my husband?” he asked, narrowing his eyes at the man next to him, making Kibum laugh loudly and come over to them to jump on both of their laps.

“But I still love you two,” Kibum promised and kissed both of his parents’ cheeks.

“My baby boy is moving out!” Onew sobbed. “Now it’s time for me to dig out all those old videos where you were still small and cry over them,” he said and moved off the couch to go and get said videos.

“Does he make you happy?” Minho asked and Kibum nodded, knowing who his dad was talking about.

“Yes, very happy,” Kibum said and smiled.

Minho nodded. “As long as you are happy I’m okay with him,” he said and kissed his son’s cheek.

“I found them!” Onew called and came back with a colorful box.

“I thought that was a joke,” Kibum said before he knelt down on the floor next to his daddy and looked inside the boy. He fished out a picture frame with an old photo.

“I was so ugly,” Kibum said and scrunched up his nose.

The picture showed the three of them, Kibum on Minho’s shoulders and grinning happily as he pulled on his dad’s hair.

“Oh no, you were so cute,” Onew said and smiled as he looked at the picture.

“You always made a fuss when we wouldn’t buy you more plushies.”

“Because plushies are the best.”

“And you’re still a child at heart.”

Kibum pouted but couldn’t deny it. He indeed was still a child and he still loved plushies which Jonghyun often used to blackmail him into doing something like riding a rollercoaster. His room was meanwhile stuffed with plushies but Kiko and Balou, a big teddy he had gotten from Jonghyun last year, were still his favorites although the fox looked a bit damaged and dirty.

They rummaged through the box, watched all different kind of videos which made Kibum beyond embarrassed to know what he had done during his childhood.

His parents sat on the couch, gushing over how cute their little son had been and how sad they were. Onew sometimes had to wipe his eyes and Minho patted his back soothingly as he almost started crying again while he watched little Kibum playing with a crab at the beach.

 

 

 

“Do you have everything?” Onew asked and looked through his son’s room, checking his bags once again.

“Daddy, it’s not like I’m moving to America,” Kibum said and shook his head. “I live just 20 minutes from you.”

“But still! I’m not there to watch out for you and you’ll have to cook on your own and so much could happen.”

Kibum sighed. “I’m already cooking on my own here and Jonghyun is there too if that makes you feel better.”

“I’m not so sure about that,” his father mumbled and his son rolled his eyes with a chuckle.

“Beside you’ll drive me over there anyway and then you can say goodbye.”

“Right, right,” Onew mumbled and looked at his watch. “Omo, we’re pretty late already. We should better keep moving.”

“My words,” Kibum muttered and followed his father to the car where his dad was putting the last bag in the trunk of the car.

“This is really happening!” Onew almost cried and Minho and Kibum looked at each other with the same expression.

Wordlessly the put Onew in the car and then drove towards Kibum’s new home where he would live with Jonghyun from now on.

They had both chosen it as the best out of a bunch of apartment but this one’s location was the best and it was cozy, not too small and not too big, just perfect for the two of them.

 

“Please look after my son,” Onew said and grabbed Jonghyun’s hands who was just smiling at the distressed parent in front of him.

“That’s my job,” he said, making Kibum nudge his side as if to say it wasn’t. His daddy was just overreacting.

His dad on the other hand was really calm and collected about the whole thing. He had been the one who had always been too worried about his son but seemed like he really trusted Jonghyun a lot.

“Daddy,” Kibum whined. “Don’t make such a scene.”

“I’m gonna miss you!” his daddy called and hugged the living daylights out of his son how tried to get air into his lungs which he kind of needed since he was still human and all.

“Yeah, I’m gonna miss you too.”

“Come on, Onew, I’m sure these two love-birds want to have some alone time and inaugurate their new…apartment,” he said with a grin.

“Yes, yes, yes of course, “Onew said and wiped his eyes.

“Don’t do anything stupid, call me when you need me, don’t go with strangers, be careful with knifes, shower often, get enough sleep, don’t overwork yourself, eat healthy food, brush your teeth-”

“Daddy!” Kibum whined embarrassed.

“Okay, okay, I’ll stop,” his father said and hugged him one last time.

“Take care of yourself.”

Minho came to hug his son as well and patted his head once with an encouraging smile.

After that his parents left and that is how Kibum grew up into the responsible adult he is now, sharing his life with his puppy-lover and being grateful to his parents who took care of him for so long.

He could have never wished for more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


And it's finished!

I'm really satisfied with this story. The response was great and you wrote so many lovely comments <3

I know this update was a bit late but I was really busy and I added two more scenes for you so this had a total of 9,700 words! (25,696 for the whole story)

I hope you liked this story which was supposed to be an oneshot...

Anyway thanks for all of your support and I reallyl ove you guys!

I hope you'll read and like my other stories as well.

Bye bye~