Final

Pigeons & Bows

Chanyeol’s mother had cried profusely when he was diagnosed at the age of five with genu varum. It was common for three and four year olds to have it but when Chanyeol was still shuffling around after his fifth birthday, it was time to visit the doctor. They said his legs would be bowed but they could always get elective surgery to fix them. His mother had decided against it, accepting that his little baby with the ears of a fairy would have bow legs.

Chanyeol knew, as he grew up, that his bow legs had ruined all the plans his mother had for him. There would be no dance classes and his dreams of Chanyeol being an idol were squashed. He still proved to be musical though and learned to play guitar when he was seven. Chanyeol tried his best to live up to his mother’s dreams, even though he really didn’t have to. His mother never expressed any disappointment and babied him.

School was hard because the kids were relentless at teasing him about his legs. He wasn’t good at sports and he spent his time reading and concentrating on music. He developed a tough exterior from all the teasing but he was still a bright, friendly boy.

When he was thirteen, his mother had excitedly told him that his best friend had moved nearby and they had a son around his age. Chanyeol could care less since most children didn’t want to be around him but he agreed to tag along.

-------------x------------

“Taemin!!” his mother screamed, running toward the lanky man waiting for him.

“Kibum!” he yelled excitedly as they hugged.

His father clapped a shorter male on the shoulder in greeting.

“Yeollie, this is Taemin and Jonghyun! We were best friends since we met in middle school,” Kibum explained.

“Nice to meet you,” the boy bowed.

"This is our son, Jongin,” Taemin said, turning to motion behind him.

Chanyeol laid eyes on a short, deeply tanned young man. He had plump lips and dark brown hair. He was practically curled inward, obviously very shy, hiding his eyes.

“Jonginnie’s only eleven but I hope you can be friends.”

Chanyeol nodded, feeling his heart pounding in his chest like it never had before.

They sat down for lunch and Chanyeol was sat across from the quiet boy. As soon as they sat, Jongin’s feet turned inward while Chanyeol’s turned out. They didn’t talk much but Chanyeol could tell he would like Jongin anyway.

-------------x------------

On Jongin’s first day at his new school, the kids had immediately picked up on his posture. He’d run away and cried, huddled under a tree. Chanyeol had found him and offered him a banana milk. Jongin drank it as he calmed down.

“Why are your feet like that?” Chanyeol asked.

“I-I’m pigeon toed,” Jongin sniffled.

“Oh…” Chanyeol was quiet for a little while. “I have bow legs. People make fun of me too.”

Jongin looked over at Chanyeol’s legs to observe the curve of them.

“I think your feet are cute,” Chanyeol added.

Jongin’s tan little cheeks dusted pink as he blushed and he leaned into Chanyeol. They remained in hiding until Jongin felt better.

That day 13-year-old Chanyeol became best friends with 11-year-old Jongin. It was also on that very same day, Chanyeol fell in love.

-------------x------------

Jongin’s twelfth birthday rolled around and all his friends were invited for a party. He was dressed in a pair of blue jeans and a button up. Taemin had passed out party hats and Chanyeol was embarrassed to wear his since it made his big ears noticeable. Kibum only told him he looked adorable and had Chanyeol shuffle into the party. The kids were all playing with the family dog, Roo, while they waited for cake.

Chanyeol shuffled in, drawing the attention of the party guests. He was nearly two years older than most of Jongin’s friends and he was a head taller than everyone. Jongin immediately ran to him with a grin though.

“Chanyeol, come play with Roo!”

Chanyeol was used to playing with dogs so he joined them all on the floor. He got the dog to do some tricks before Taemin came in with the cake. They sang at the top of their lungs and then devoured Jongin’s cake with glee. Jongin then opened his gifts one by one. Chanyeol was in charge of giving the other his gift. He’d even picked it out so Kibum wanted him to have all the credit. When it was his turn, he came forward and held out the dark blue wrapped box. Jongin opened it up and found a stuffed dog, some CDs, and a book inside.

“Thanks, Yeollie!” he called with a toothy grin.

Chanyeol felt embarrassed and didn’t make eye contact, instead focusing on Jongin’s little pigeon toes. Once gifts were done and it was back to playing, Chanyeol followed. Taemin smiled as his son made sure Chanyeol was included.

“You remember I told you Jongin does ballet, right?”

“Yes,” Kibum nodded, equally enjoying their children’s interactions.

“Jongin received a lead part in his next show and he wanted to invite Chanyeol to watch. Do you think he can come?”

“Of course! Oh my goodness, that is so cute!”

“I’m glad they became friends. Jongin is so shy and kids pick on him because of his feet. The ballet is supposed to correct it but it doesn’t seem to do much.”

“Well, Chanyeol has the same sorts of problems because of his legs. He’s a tough little boy.”

Taemin laughed some as they watched their children play. Once the party was over, every child but Chanyeol left. The two were permitted to have a sleep over. Chanyeol bid his mother good-bye before thundering upstairs with Jongin. With the help of Jongin’s father, they built a fort inside the bedroom. They watched movies and ate popcorn. Jongin cuddled his stuffed dog the whole time, much to the delight of Chanyeol, and he eventually fell asleep. The elder cuddled up to him and held his hand, not wanting to be too far away.

-------------x------------

Kibum dropped Chanyeol off at the recital. Chanyeol waved good-bye and headed inside. Once he’d picked up a program, he entered the auditorium and found Taemin in the first row. There was a reserved seat for Chanyeol and he sat down just as the lights went off. He’d only seen a ballet once but he didn’t remember much. Jongin had told him how much he loved it and hoped Chanyeol could see him someday.

Out came Jongin, lit up on the stage. He looked majestic and Chanyeol felt the air leave him. Jongin’s passion could be seen as he moved his body and gone was the shy little boy everyone knew. Chanyeol’s eyes never left him and he stood to clap at the end.

While Taemin and Jonghyun waited for Jongin, Chanyeol back tracked to the lobby to buy flowers. When he managed to make it back through the crowd, Jongin was already with his parents. He was dripping in sweat, standing just as pigeon toed as usual. When he saw Chanyeol, he blushed and smiled just a little. The tall young man approached him nervously and offered him the small bouquet with a blush.

“You were…amazing. T-thanks for letting me come.”

“Thanks for coming…” he said quietly as he accepted the flowers.

The two of them just stared, blushing and smiling, and it didn’t need to end.

-------------x------------

As they grew up, they grew taller and more mature but never drifted apart. Both got into the same preforming arts high school, Chanyeol for music and Jongin for dancing. Jongin had peaked in height at 15.Chanyeol, other the other hand, had stopped growing at 17, the same year as Kai. He had passed six foot at 15 and his bow legs had become even more noticeable but they were no longer a problem. When Chanyeol entered high school, he became the heart throb with his deep voice and guitar skill. Jongin was passionate in his ballet and Chanyeol always supported him. This would be the last year the two would attend school together and everyone was wondering: what would happen to Chanyeol and Jongin?

Chanyeol had gotten a job at a pet store a year before and Jongin was often there when he didn’t have dance practice.

“Yeollie, what are you going to do next year?” he asked as he peered into the glass case.

No matter how old Jongin got, he always loved puppies. There’d been one at the store he’d been smitten with and, luckily, no one had purchased it yet.

“Go to college,” he chuckled as he swept up the shop.

“Where are you applying? When do they have to be done?”

“I’m applying to a couple places. Mom really wants me to apply to K-ARTS but I don’t think I should.”

“Why not?! You’re so talented!”

“You’re just saying that…”

Jongin spun around and went over to him. “I mean it, Chanyeol! You’re super talented, really nice, and your voice is really y.”

The tall male’s cheeks flushed. “R-Really?”

“Y-Yeah,” the tanned boy agreed, hiding his face in the other’s chest.

Chanyeol always liked how the younger boy’s head fit perfectly under his chin. They ended up in an awkward hug, ended only by the squawks of upset birds.

“I’d have to make an audition video…” Chanyeol said after a while.

“I could help…”

“I-I’d like that.”

Jongin took a seat at the counter. “I…I’m really sad this is our last year at school together…” His voice was low and sad.

“Our moms are best friends. We’ll see each other all the time. I’m not moving or anything.”

“I-I guess…” The younger’s eyes downturned towards his feet. He sighed, moving his feet to be out turned. “Stupid feet.”

“Are you still embarrassed by your feet?”

“Stupid pigeon toes! Ballet was supposed to help, but…It’s been almost ten years and nothing.”

Chanyeol ruffled his hair lightly. “As I said when you were eleven, I think it’s cute.”

Jongin blushed. “Y-you know…if you and I ever have a baby, they’d probably have perfect little legs and feet…”

Chanyeol’s cheeks were aflame as he cleaned out the cages.

-------------x------------

Chanyeol filmed his audition video with the help of Jongin. They planned out what would be on the DVD he’d mail in. He recorded two songs and they began to plan a short music video they could record. Jongin gave him ideas but what he didn’t know was that Chanyeol had been penning a song for him. He also had no idea that the little puppy he’d fallen in love with had been purchased by Chanyeol the day after Jongin saw him. All of it would be a gamble but Chanyeol didn’t want to leave anything out when he’d finally confront the younger boy.

Jongin agreed to meet him at his house. He sat in the backyard as he waited for Chanyeol, swaying some on the swinging bench. Chanyeol came out carrying his guitar case in one hand and supporting something inside his coat with the other. He raised an eyebrow but didn’t say anything as the tall teen sat next to him. Chanyeol gave him a smile before opening his coat and producing the cute puppy Jongin had adored for a month. He gasped as Chanyeol offered his large hands. The tanned boy took the puppy and nearly squealed, grinning profusely. He lay the puppy in his lap, rubbing its belly and watching how it became putty in his hands.

“Chanyeol…”

“Wait. One more thing,” the elder said as he got out his guitar.

Chanyeol began to play and Jongin listened as he pet the puppy in his lap. The elder boy played and sang his heart out, singing the song he’d written for Jongin. It was about how much he loved him and had been in love with him for five years. He called out what he loved even when Jongin didn’t, like his tan skin and pigeon toes. Jongin was moved to tears at the lyrics and he hugged Chanyeol when he was finished.

“What even…?”

“This is my love confession. I hope you’ll accept me.”

“I’d be stupid not to,” Jongin laughed, kissing Chanyeol on the lips.

The elder boy practically melted into the kiss, leaning toward him. His hands went up to cup Jongin’s face, tilting his head just slightly. Once they pulled back, the tanned boy blushed shyly and looked back at the puppy, scratching its belly.

“I’m very happy…”

“Me too,” Chanyeol smiled and swung his arm over his shoulder.

Jongin leaned into him with a smile.

-------------x------------

With the song finished and their relationship solidified, the two filmed their short music video for the audition video. It was sent two days before the deadline and Jongin congratulated him on a job well done. Chanyeol took it as an opportunity for them to go on their first date.

Jongin sat nervously beside him, curled into his side, looking timid as ever. Chanyeol merely smiled, keeping his arm around him as they rode the bus.

“Where are we going?”

“Somewhere fun.”

“Chanyeol…”

The bus came to a halt and Jongin glanced out the window. He gasped some before looking back at the tall boy whom was already getting out of his seat.

"Lotte World?” he said as he followed Chanyeol off the bus.

“Was this not a good decision?”

Jongin hugged him tight, shaking his head. “I’m so happy.”

Chanyeol grinned and took his hand tight, leading him into the park. They had a fun day running around and enjoying being with one another. Once it was late and Chanyeol had sufficiently won Jongin so many prizes his arms were tired, he asked if they could take a photo. Jongin agreed, letting Chanyeol snap one of him with all his prizes. He set the prizes down so he could take one with his own phone. Chanyeol smiled and posed with a peace sign. They then crowded together so they could snap photos together, cheeks pressed together and smiles on their face. Jongin couldn’t help giggling and Chanyeol was grinning giddily from the sound.

“Do you want to buy a photo?” Chanyeol suggested as he pointed out the photographer.

“Okay.”

They approached and the photographer gave them their voucher so they’d be able to see the photos. They then posed them in front of a flashy spot. Chanyeol wrapped his arms around Jongin, leaning his chin on top of his head as they both grinned. Afterwards, they thanked the photographer and went to look at the pictures. The younger boy blushed when he saw it. Chanyeol bought four copies; one for each of them and one for their mothers.

The trip home was quiet due to exhaustion, but even Jongin’s pile of presents didn’t stop them from tightly holding hands the entire way.

-------------x------------

Chanyeol felt toes trail along his ankle before slipping between his feet. He chuckled some, extending the leg he’d had curled close to drape over Jongin’s legs. Jongin giggled softly as he moved his other foot closer and then in between the taller’s legs. Chanyeol was grinning and trying hard not to open his eyes but sleep was quickly being replaced in importance. The smaller slid into Chanyeol’s arms, tucking his head under his chin and relaxing.

“Jonginnie,” Chanyeol breathed.

“Hmm?”

“I love your feet.”

Even when they were cuddling in bed, Chanyeol could feel the gentle press of Jongin’s toes against his ankles as they attempted to turn inward.

Jongin giggled. “You’re the only one.”

“No. Even you love your feet deep down. You wouldn’t have ballet otherwise.”

The smaller was quiet, pressing closer to Chanyeol. The elder teen looped his arms tighter around him and gently his back.

“No matter what you say, I’ll always love them. I’ll think they’re the most precious feet on the planet.”

The younger didn’t respond so Chanyeol pressed a kiss to his forehead. There was silence between them until Jongin wrapped his arms around the taller’s neck.

“Well, I love your bow legs. They make you cute and clumsy. And my legs fit perfectly with them even though they are curved.”

The taller chuckled and pulled him even closer. “How did you get to be so cute?”

Jongin laughed and snuggled him. “Let’s have cute babies one day, okay? My mom’s already asking when we’ll get married.”

“I’m a little concerned that you’re already thinking of children. You’re only fifteen. We have all the time in the world.”

The smaller pressed his face into the elder’s chest. “Just don’t go to college and forget about me.”

“How will I ever forget your little pigeon toes? I told you I love them more than the world.”

“Really?”

Jongin glanced up at him with a faint blush and Chanyeol kissed him. He then tucked Jongin’s head back under his chin and rubbed his back. The tan boy relaxed against him, drifting to sleep in the other’s embrace.

-------------x------------

Chanyeol was accepted into K-Arts, totally surprising to him but not to his mother or Jongin. Kibum insisted on throwing him a congratulations party despite Chanyeol’s protests. He managed to negotiate it down to a dinner party for their family and close friends. He sat hand in hand with Jongin, whom was smiling the entire time.

“Congrats, Chanyeol! We’re so proud of you. I hope Jonginnie can join you in two years at university,” Taemin said from where he sat on the couch.

“Jonginnie will probably be offered a scholarship. He won’t have to even try,” Kibum laughed.

“I’m not that talented, auntie.”

“Don’t be so modest, sweetie. You’re incredibly talented. Yeollie can make music for you to dance to.”

“I’d like that,” the tanned boy admitted.

Chanyeol squeezed his hand tightly which in turn made the smaller blush.

“Aren’t they just the cutest?” Taemin whispered.

Kibum silently agreed, beaming at his son and best friend’s son. Chanyeol got up, pulling Jongin up to follow. The two teenagers went out back where Jongin’s puppy, affectionately named Monggu and now much bigger, was playing with Kibum’s dogs. The tall young man sighed as he watched the poodles play silently.

“Congrats.”

He looked over at Jongin, who was watching the dogs as well quietly. Looking up at Chanyeol then, he smiled.

“I’m really happy for you. I’ll miss you a lot.”

“Stop saying you’ll miss me,” the taller said, bumping shoulders with him, “I’m not going anywhere.”

Jongin said nothing back, merely watching the dogs. Chanyeol watched him before leaning down and capturing his lips in a soft and gentle kiss. The younger boy sighed softly as he returned it, slipping his arms onto his shoulders. Chanyeol’s arms wrapped around his waist as he pulled away.

“I love you.”

The smaller smiled, cuddling up to him silently. Chanyeol could feel the heaviness of the situation. Jongin was still unhappy for some reason and it seemed no matter what the elder would say, it wouldn’t do anything.

-------------x------------

Chanyeol’s graduation came all too soon and he was carrying flowers and other things as he tried to navigate among the crowd.

“My baby!!” Kibum sobbed, holding a tissue to his face.

“Congrats, Channie!” Taemin called as they waded through the crowd.

It was always easy to find Chanyeol in the crowd due to his height. Taemin, his husband, and Jongin finally reached them. From the look of Jongin’s eyes, puffy and red, he had been crying. He didn’t look at Chanyeol, keeping his eyes downcast. They had been distant since Chanyeol’s acceptance letter had come. He’d ever missed one of Jongin’s recitals because they barely talked.

“Picture time!”

Chanyeol took pictures with his parents, both together and separately. Taemin and Jonghyun crowded with Jongin around Chanyeol. They also took a group photo with everyone.

“Now our two love birds!”

Jongin slid in beside Chanyeol, taking some of the things in his hands to help. They didn’t look at one another and the tense atmosphere was obvious as they posed. Taemin and Kibum both frowned, trying to stay positive and snapping more photos. The graduate put his hand on Jongin’s waist, causing the younger to look up at him. His eyes watered some and Chanyeol leaned down to capture his lips. Kibum and Taemin called out in surprise and glee, snapping photos. Jongin dropped the flowers as he wrapped his arms around Chanyeol’s neck. Chanyeol lifted him off the ground slightly as they kissed.

As soon as Chanyeol put him down, he dropped to one knee.

“Kim Jongin, marry me.”

Jongin squeaked in surprise before bursting into tears. He threw himself at the graduate while Taemin and Kibum screamed, still snapping photos furiously.

“Yes,” Jongin sobbed.

Chanyeol gifted him with a ring as they kissed again.

-------------x------------

Chanyeol started college just as popular as when he was in high school but he was able to fend them off with a show of his engagement ring. Since Jongin was only sixteen, they had to wait and had agreed to get married after they graduated college. The college student spent his free time with Jongin, making sure to shower him with love. After he got a driver’s license, he found himself toting Jongin to and from dance practice and on dates.

Two years flew by and Jongin’s graduation was fast approaching as he waited for answers on college admission decisions.

Their legs were intertwined on the bed while Jongin stared at his hands outstretched above him.

“Why did you say when we graduate? That’s like four more years…”

Chanyeol chuckled, looping his arms around his waist. “I was trying to sound mature.”

“Dummy. My mom would let me marry you in a heartbeat if you asked.”

The tall boy laughed. “Well…maybe we can move the date forward.”

“Don’t tease me.”

He pressed a kiss to his cheek. “I’m not. But we’ll have to wait for those babies you want so much.”

Jongin hit him but was grinning.

-------------x------------

Jongin graduated and was accepted to K-Arts. He and Chanyeol were married in the summer in a small ceremony for their family and friends. And even though Chanyeol had said it would be a while, they were already on the way to having a baby with perfect little legs.