Chapter 2

Labryrinth

"Aside from attacking people, what else do you guys do for fun?"

Kyungsoo was now seated with the other boys inside the kitchen, a blanket around his shoulders. He glanced around the loose circle, his face void of emotions.

"I can't speak for Jongin here," Xiumin said, gesturing to the embarrassed boy on his left. "But I cook. And thank goodness I can because this place would burn down if Chanyeol ever tried."

"It was one time. And I was still disoriented from the box," Chanyeol tried to explain.

"That's your excuse every time you mess up," huffed Baekhyun. "What was your excuse last week you tried to turn your bed into a water bed? And need I remind you that pouring water onto something only makes it wet?"

Chanyeol's face heated up under the scrutiny. "I thought it'd be fun to experience sleeping on something new."

"Next time you pull a stunt like that, you can sleep outside in the garden."

________

"No."

"Kyungsoo," pleaded Junmyeon. "It's the only open bed."

"No."

"What's wrong with this bed?" asked Luhan, walking in with his pillow in his arms. "It's never been used before."

"It's next to him." Kyungsoo practically spits the words towards Jongin, who, like always, was out like a light.

"Aw, come on. He's harmless," said Yixing.

Chanyeol nodded. "He's like a puppy. Wait until you see him smile."

"Sure. I bet it's the things nightmares are made of."

"Sleep," commanded Kris. "If there really is a problem, we'll deal with it when it comes up."

Everyone scurried to their beds, leaving Kyungsoo standing at the foot of his. Kris pulled the blankets up to his chin before motioning Kyungsoo to do the same. Begrudgingly, he laid down, turning his back to the sleeping boy, grumbling about being ambushed when morning comes.

 

 

Jongin laid awake in the darkness, lips pressed together as he blinked away the tightness forming behind his eyes.

________

Kyungsoo awoke the next morning to light streaming in through the window. Truthfully, it was nothing more than a rough hole in an even rougher wall.

What the heck happened before I got here??

The wall was moldy at the top where it met the ceiling -- probably due to water leaking in. There were also what looked like claw marks spanning the whole outer wall. Paint had been thrown on it, from the looks of the spotty coverage. But nothing could cover up the foot-long crack gouged in the wall.

"Oh, I see that you're up," Luhan said, wiping his hands on a towel.

Kyungsoo merely nodded, throwing back the covers to swing his feet over the edge. He couldn't help but notice that the bed next to his was neatly made, the pillow being the only thing out of place. Instead of it sitting in the middle of the bed, it was pulled askew, nearly falling off the far side of the bed. Luhan followed Kyungsoo's line of sight, but remained silent, turning to walk out the door with Kyungsoo following close behind.

They walked downstairs, Kyungsoo paying more attention to the wafting scent of breakfast than he was to his surroundings.

"Oof!"

Kyungsoo walked into something warm and solid, causing him to take a tumble to the ground. Luckily, it didn't hurt and he got up, brushing off his black shirt when he realized that what -- or, who -- he'd walked into was still on the ground.

He looks kind of cute when he's sleepy, Kyungsoo couldn't help thinking.

He shook his head. Thoughts like that would only distract him. Still wide-eyed, he offered a hand to the taller boy, who took it gratefully.

"S-sorry," he mumbled, quickly walking away in the direction of the kitchen.

Kyungsoo was left rooted to the floor, his eyes trained on the broad back of the boy who'd felt, just a little, icier than he had the day before.

________

"So here in the Galaxy, everyone has a job. And since we aren't sure what you're best at, you can spend the day shadowing all the different jobs until we find the right one for you," Junmyeon explained.

"What if I'm not good at any jobs?"

"Then you'll be a Slopper," he said, shrugging.

"What's that?" Kyungsoo asked.

"You'd do any job that other people don't want to do," Xiumin put in.

"Let's start you off with the Builders," Junmyeon said.

"That's me!" Chanyeol waved his hand in the air, getting out of his seat.

"What do you do, exactly?" asked Kyungsoo as he followed Chanyeol outside.

"I build things! And I repair whatever is broken. Which, lately, seems to be everything..." Chanyeol trailed off.

Kyungsoo laughed, resulting in Chanyeol whipping around to stare at him.

"What?" he asked self consciously.

"Nothing." Chanyeol smiled. "It's just ...I didn't expect you to know how to smile, let alone laugh. It's nice."

Kyungsoo felt his face heating up, and he prodded Chanyeol in the back. "Keep walking. You have some teaching to do."

________

"Something is wrong with this screw."

"Are you seriously trying to screw in a nail?" Chanyeol asked, flabbergasted.

"Oh, right." Kyungsoo flipped the screwdriver around and started banging at the nail with the handle.

"No!" Chanyeol practically flew forward to take the screwdriver from Kyungsoo. "That's not what it's used for!"

"But you said to hit the nail," Kyungsoo said.

Chanyeol nearly face-palmed until he remembered that he was still holding the screwdriver.

"With this," Chanyeol said, handing Kyungsoo the hammer.

Kyungsoo took it, staring at the head before shrugging and picking up a nail.

"Watch out for your fingers!" yelled Chanyeol.

"It's fine," Kyungsoo said, putting down the hammer. "See? No harm done."

"People like you are the reason why I'm needed," Chanyeol sighed, pointing to the new hole in the wall.

________

"Do you see the opening in the wall?" Chanyeol asked. "Just walk to it, but make sure not to go outside."

Kyungsoo nodded and walked off, leaving the house they'd been working on a little worse for wear.

He'd barely been outside since he'd arrived, being carted off to the Homestead minutes after leaving the box he'd awoken in. Kyungsoo was surprised at how tall the walls really were. Lost in thought, head swiveling to take in the Galaxy, he nearly walked past a stunned boy and out into the Maze.

"Halt!"

Kyungsoo stopped abruptly. Jongin ran in front of him, arms spread wide, just in case he decided to run. Which, if you asked Kyungsoo, he definitely did not entertain the idea of doing.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I'm the Keeper of the Baggers," Jongin replied, dropping his arms after seeing that he wouldn't run.

Kyungsoo scoffed, but his eyes traveled up and down Jongin. He's definitely fit enough to be a Bagger. Whatever that is..

With anyone else, Jongin would give them a push, but with Kyungsoo, he didn't dare to. Not that he was afraid, but if he went down, the Galaxy would be down a Bagger. And, no offense to Kyungsoo, but he didn't look like the most athletic person.

"Follow me," Jongin said, walking ahead.

"What do you do? Bag things?" Kyungsoo asked, trailing after Jongin.

"I guard the Galaxy," he replied. "And if there are any dead bodies, I take care of them."

"Oh. Why do they call you a Bagger?" Kyungsoo tilted his head to stare inquisitively at Jongin.

"Because," he said, turning around with a wink. "I've got this job in the bag."

He should have seen that punch coming.

________

"Hello?" Kyungsoo called into the dark shed.

A shove between the shoulder blades sent him flying through the threshold. He braced his landing with his hands, causing a splash of liquid to splatter up to his elbows. Quickly, he got up, doing his best to avoid sullying his shirt with whatever was on his hands.

"Welcome to my lair," came a hoarse whisper, the breath hot on the nape of Kyungsoo's neck.

"Wah!" Kyungsoo screamed involuntarily, elbow automatically jabbing backwards.

A muffled curse sounded from behind him, and Kyungsoo watched in horror as a knife clattered to the ground, slick with blood.

"Kyung...soo."

"Who are you and how do you know my name?" he yelled into the darkness.

"Junmyeon warned me that one day, I'd get hurt doing this. But it's priceless seeing the reactions I get."

His eyes started adjusting to the dark room. He watched as Jongdae picked himself up and dusted himself off as if it was normal to run impromptu haunted houses.

"Jongdae?"

He cracked a smile that reminded Kyungsoo of a cat that found a pot of catnip. "That's my name. If you want an autograph, you'll have to wait in line."

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow, unamused. Jongdae merely coughed, bending down to pick up his cleaver.

"Uh, so this is the slaughterhouse. But I find it more settling to call it 'the waiting room for animal Heaven'."

Kyungsoo continued staring. Seconds ticked by before he opened his mouth.

"Did they make you a Keeper out of pity?"

________

Rather than keep you guys waiting any longer ( wow, it's been over two months... OTL ), I figured that I'd post an update before you all left me for a more active author. /souless laughter/ I hope you all find it worth the wait or at least satisfying enough that you don't stay silent. ;;

Come visit me on Instagram~ And if you haven't, take a look at my first Hunhan fic!

Let's applaud the fact that I was able to update two fics in a week! Gosh I'm so sleepy.