26

Confessions of a Not-So-Average
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Confessions of the Supposed Sweetheart: Oh Sehun

soundtrack of the chapter: new empire's a little braver

            Seeing Hye Su confront Jongin in her drunken stupor made my heart hurt; in that one minute, millions and millions of memories and pictures came flashing into my head. I’m sorry Sehun, I’m just not good enough for you, she had said with her crystal like voice. It’s not you; it’s me.

            Or maybe it’s Kim Jongin, I bitterly added as I lifted my head only to see Hye Su’s angry back. She was fuming; her hands were balled up to her sides. “IT’S BECAUSE OF YOU THAT I’M THIS WAY, KIM JONGIN!” I could tell she was ready to follow him, so I lept out and reached for her hand, tugging Hye Su back.

            “Don’t, Hye Su. It’s Eunji’s wedding today. Don’t screw it up for her.”

            In a second, Hye Su started sobbing like no other. “WHY ME? WAAHHH! WHY DID HE COME BACK?” Before I knew it, Hye Su began swaying until she coincidentally collapsed into my arms. I gripped onto her, as though it was a life or death situation.

            “What am I going to do with you, Hye Su? What are you going to do?”

           

            Shortly after Hye Su collapsed into my arms, I booked a hotel suite so she could peacefully stay the night there. Upon arriving at the hotel room, I placed Hye Su gently down on the bed before tucking her in. As I loosened my tie, I studied her sleeping face.

            “No one deserves this pain. No one deserves unrequited live. No one,” I muttered, before arising from the bed. I glanced down at my watch only to see that it had just struck midnight.  “It’s not too late.” Whipping out my phone, I padded in a few words and numbers before bringing my phone to my ear. As the tone dial monotonously rang in my ear, I glanced at Hye Su one last time before leaving her side. While making my way towards the hallway of the suite, the other line on the phone picked up.

            “Kim Jongin, let’s meet up.”

 

            I got to the Han River first, but Jongin came shortly after. As he got out of his car, I rounded the front of my car to meet him. As he opened his mouth to speak, I threw a punch to the left side of his face. He staggered back, alarmed.

            “What the f.uck, Oh Sehun?”

            “That was to get back at you at the office.” I punched Jongin again, but in the stomach in this time. “That was to get back at you for Hye Su’s sake.” Just as I jabbed Jongin again, he dodged my hit and stepped back.

            “You don’t understand, Oh Sehun! So get the f.uck out—“

            Leaping forward, I elbowed him in the face. “You f.ucking s.hit!” Taking advantage of his shocked stupor, I punched him one last time, this time right in the nose. His nose, unfortunately, but also fortunately, started bleeding. “That was to get back at you from the past.”

            I stepped back, breathing heavily.

            Jongin messily wiped his nose with his sleeve. “You son of a b.itch.”

            “Speak for yourself,” I replied; I was on the brink of laughter as I stared at Jongin’s pitiful state. Serves him right. “…why didn’t you punch me?”

            “Because I deserve it,” Jongin shrugged.

            I was speechless, stuttering, really. “W-What did you say?”

            “You’re right. I deserve it and it’s about someone slapped, or rather, punched reality into my face.” Jongin straightened up, still holding onto his nose. “I’m sorry, Oh Sehun. I’m sorry our friendship ended this way. And even to this day, you won’t believe me, but I’m still going to try anyway. It wasn’t my fault, that night. It was hers.

            “But you and me…we’re on the same boat. I chased after Kwon Jungah because she reminded me of Hye Su. And you…” Jongin stared at me, hard. “You’re chasing after Hye Su because she reminds you of her. They look similar, don’t you think?”

 

Four years ago…

            Lee Hyun Hee, the woman of every man’s dream. We first met on a scorching hot day – both she and I were at the convenience store to purchase water, but unfortunately, there was only one left. We had both reached for it, brushing hands in the process; of course, being the gentleman I was, I immediately retracted my hand and gestured for her to have the bottle.

            She smiled softly. “It’s okay. I wanted apple juice anyway. You can have it.”

            Without another word, she reached for the apple juice on the shelf above and went to the register to buy her apple juice. But my eyes could not move away from her back; I was enchanted by her and her presence. “What are you looking at, Oh Sehun?” An arm looped around my neck while a hand reached for the last water bottle.

            “Oooh, I needed this. Today’s my lucky day, huh? It’s the last water bottle left!”

            I ly to look down at my grinning friend. “What is this feeling, Jongin?” I placed a hand over my beating heart.

            “Pft, are you filming a drama or something? Let’s get going to class. Professor Noh is going to kill us if we’re late again.” Jongin slung his arm around me again. “What were you doing anyway? Did you not end up getting a water bottle?”

            “Who is she?” I muttered to myself.

            That day, I never ended up getting the water bottle she had left behind.

 

            Our second encounter was at the convenience store yet again. This time, though, it was during the fall, when midterm season began. I was happily slurping on my one dollar instant noodles. She was doing the same, sighing loudly as she sat down. I threw a sideways glance before recognizing her as the girl from the summer before.

            My heart began beating rapidly and uncontrollably.

            “Be still, my heart,” I muttered loudly.

            She turned to me. “Excuse me? Did you say something?”

            “N-No,” I stammered, feeling my cheeks reddening. Immediately, I bowed my head and left the convenience store, leaving behind my half-eaten noodles. How embarrassing, Oh Sehun!

            “Wait, excuse me, mister! You left your—“

           

            Our third encounter took place shortly after our second. Of course, in my embarrassed state, I would have left my phone on the counter of the convenience store, and she had to pick it up for me. I didn’t realize I lost my phone until Jongin saw me in class later that day.

            “What happened to your phone, man? I tried calling you, but some girl picked it up!”

            “WHAT?”

            “Yeah, you heard me! Well fortunately, she said we can meet up later today in the front of the convenience store. I guess she’s also a law school student too.”

            “Aw !” I instantly knew who had my phone. “AH, JONGIN, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO? The girl I like has my phone!”

            “Ooo, our baby Sehun has a crush? How cute!” Jongin teased, before suddenly turning stern. “Yah! Stop thinking about girls. We need to concentrate on studying!”

            “She’s just so perfect though…” I mumbled.

            “Did you forget we had a paper due by the end of this week? You haven’t even started – stay focused, Oh Sehun!” Just then, our professor entered the classroom.

 

            “She said she’d be here about any second now,” Jongin checked his phone again, “Are you nervous?”

            “More nervous than I was taking the bar exam,” I let out a nervous laugh.

            Just then, Jongin’s phone rang. “Oh, it’s her!” He exclaimed, before picking up the phone. “Hello? Yes, we’re in the front of the convenience store. Oh, you’re coming around the corner?” Both Jongin and I looked both ways until Jongin said, “Ah, yes! I think I see you. Okay. See you soon.”

            In about a minute, she appeared before us, holding my phone.

            “Here you go,” she said with a smile as she handed my phone

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter