The Bandmate's Wedding Singer

My Bandmate's Wedding Singer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

He studied the information and map on the piece of paper again and stared back at the stylish building stood proud before his eyes.

 

'Wah...so this is really the place? He's got some style.'

 

He could hear faint sound of jazzy classical orchestra sound that snuck out of the openings of the grand entrance whenever it went open as people went in and out, with assistance fromt the guards. Self consciousness of his own appearance made his steps slowed down in hesitance as he kept sneaking glance back to his suit, his tie, his trousers, were they ironed properly? Do they look cheap? Well, they weren't that cheap. He never knew it cost that much to buy a nice suit, but then again, back then, instead of forking out his own hard earned money, sponsors would be lining up left and right to offer him their designs to be worn on special events like this - a popular singer's wedding.

Well, who're they kidding? He's a popular singer as well - was. In fact, the bridegroom - the one who invited him through his personal assistant to sing at his wedding, was none other than his own bandmate, well, ...former bandmate. But one he regarded as his own brother, his team member, his good friend, most importantly one who sang with him together on the same stage, such was their superior bond. They're that close, and he learnt about the wedding of his brother through the internet, and later, confirmed by the personal assistant.

Well, they hadn't been in contact for quite a number of years. Was it more than ten? But how did that happen? They're best friends, brothers.

Oh, right. His own solo career had been on the decline and sank deeper and deeper with each year while this friend's career continued to flourish, well, not as much as their leader's - former leader(who's always been the popular one right from the start), but still decent enough to keep making albums, sing in musical theatres and concert halls instead of wedding hall. Not that singing in wedding hall is that bad, especially if it looks as nice as this one. Popular singers do it too. But for him, this is all he's left with, a singing invitation for his former bandmate's wedding. This would be his first time singing in front of a major crowd in the few recent years. He had been practicing nonstop for the past week ever since he first learned about the last minute invitation after the singer originally invited as the wedding singer backed away, and from what he heard, another of his former bandmate, turned down the request to be the replacement singer too, and it was that rejection that had opened the lock of his confinement, to be back singing for quite a big number of audience, in front of the glitz and flashes of cameras from various medias, since aside from being a singer with decent recognition, Youngsaeng also held the public's and media's attention coming from his business venture that flourished even more than his singing career.

"Ahh, he sure is a rich guy now...well, richer than back then, even though back then wasn't bad either." He mused to himself, immersing in faded distant memories he never quite erased or wanted to erase, his self consciousness was overtaken by the personality of his youth that had been engraved inside of him. With that, came along his curiosity, making him lightly knocking on the enchantingly colourful, stained glass wall covering almost half of the building exterior. 

"Is this thing real, not the cheap version right?"

Too busy marvelling and studying the wall, he didn't notice two figures on his back, regarding him with watchful eyes.

"Yah, Jungmin, don't try to break the glass."

"Huh...oh...Kyujong-ah!" He turned around. The man now facing him still looked the same as ever, different from his own condition, but that fact didn't deter his excitement at the unification. The person stood next to the man who was yet the other of his bandmate though, with his small arms crossed, while judging him inappropriately, made all the difference to Kyujong. Something he himself, wasn't sure whether to be jealous of, to admire, or to feel relieved that he had none of his own.

"Young Kyu?" He squatted down and patted the little boy's hair. The boy nodded, still with his earlier pose.

"Yah, this is Appa's friend, greet Uncle Jung Min properly."

The boy did as was told and he only ruffled the boy's hair with some random generic compliment adults usually give to little ones.

"Appa, is he really your friend? He looks cheap."

"Yah...Young Kyu!" Kyu Jong glared at the little boy and signalled for the boy to go back inside to where his mother was seated with his little sister. The boy pulled a long face but followed the order and leapt away, leaving the father having to bear the guilt and shame of his son's words.

"Uhh...sorr..."

"Well, he sure has a dynamite mouth huh?"

"I guess he takes after you."

"Yah, Kyujong-ah, I never slept with your wife."

"Yah, what are you..." He had to suppress the laughter seeing Kyujong's panicking.

"He already went in. Nobody heard it."

"Yah, Jungmin-ah, that's not a funny joke. You know how kids these days pick up at every..."

"You're the father, if he's not doing the right thing or not behaving, just beat him up or something..." He grinned as Kyujong's expression turned to an annoyed one mixed with disgust.

 

'It's nice to meet old friend again, and seeing the same annoyance just like the old days.'

 

"You never change you know...though...you look kinda old now. What happened to your health and beauty regimen?"

"Aish...yah, do I really look cheap? Seriously..." Self conscious took control of him once more as he peered at his clothing again.

"No, Young Kyu is just being...his usual grumpy self. You just look a little old and worn out, and not so much in shape."

"Yah, I'm human. Humans grow old...besides, there's much to think of, life's quite hard."

Kyujong nodded slowly. 

He felt a pang of shame though, having said such a thing to his bandmate who had tougher time raising two children. Kyujong was only thirty eight when he became the first to get married from their band, due to an unplanned pregnancy. Kyujong was lucky though that the wife came from a well off family, but he wondered if Kyujong ever felt like he was forced into a dungeon of no escape. Well, everyone has to take responsibility of their own life and doings anyway. Everything comes with a price. Maybe Kyujong is really happy now. Who knows?

"Where are the others?"

"Huh?" He noticed it took Kyujong a few moments of confusion before realizing who he was referring to by 'the others'. Maybe that's the normal impact of getting married. For him, he'd naturally know by heart who a phrase like that would be meant for. 

"Oh...hmm, Hyungjun said he had filming and didn't want to come, but I forced him to come anyway, even if a little late. Besides, reporters will be here. It'd be better for him to attend. And Hyunjoong Hyung sent flower wreath. He's having his tour. You know him...still as busy as ever."

"Yeah, as usual." He smiled. But somehow, the things he had just heard was like a kick in the guts, making him unable to joke and tease his bandmate further.

 

'Maybe things aren't entirely like the old days anymore. Well, of course, people grow older.'

 

"Where's the bridegroom? I should go meet him first."

Kyujong showed him the direction, not further asking of his whereabouts over the past years they hadn't been in contact, unlike their younger days before they officially announced their disbandment because some of them were tired of being tied to the name SS501 that carried no more value in the market, tired of singing the same old songs that over the years have been slowly forgotten.

He remembered singing Snow Prince at a birthday party of his former makeup artist's little daughter some three months ago. It wasn't tiring. He had a blast. In fact, he felt young all over again. Just like when he was barely twenty, when in actuality, he's already forty four.

He watched closely as Kyujong ran back to his family after leaving him in front of a door. He could see Kyujong taking the baby daughter from his wife's hold while the lady had a scowl on her face.

 

'Kyujong looked tired, and his smile wasn't the same as before too.'

 

He turned away, brushing off the uncomforting thought, and prepared to knock on the door before yet another thought stopped him.

 

'Or is it just me who was holding on to yesterday, who never grew matured, who's selfish and wouldn't let go something that should've been let go long ago? Is it that bad to want to keep holding on?'

 


"Why? Why disband? What would the kids say? We've agreed to keep being SS501."

"Jungmin-ah, it's better this way. We'll be able to promote without being held back by the title idols."

"But it's the name that had kept us surviving all these years."

"That's why it's time to pave our own way without depending on that name any longer. We've all agreed that it's better this way...It's for the better of everyone."

"You can't do this Hyunjoong Hyung! It's...it's not just about depending on the name, it's..."

 

'What was it then?'

 

"Jungmin-ah, calm down." Kyujong squeezed his shoulder, trying to calm him down. He was thirty three then. With his declining solo projects, after having completed his military service, only to be greeted with past affair that brought forth yet another lawsuit in his life, leaving him with not any other option but to keep out of limelight again, for yet another year, while court battle continued. He recalled how gloom his world felt, the dejavu of being pulled into this dark hole yet again without seeing it coming. He lost his strength, his faith, maybe even bordering losing his sanity. But it was those little green coloured lightsticks waved at him whenever he did participate in small unpublicized shows and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter