1- Her Pain

Between Fairy Tales and Reality

Faith, something everyone was meant to have. That was Li Yin’s moral. Maybe that was the reason why she never stopped liking Jongdae, even after he and her stepsister Evelyn became a couple. Li Yin’s whole world shattered when she heard this news. Evelyn was her stepsister, but no. She wasn’t the mean, imperfect stepsister you see in fairytales. She was the close definition of perfect. All Li Yin wanted was for Jongdae to be happy, but at the same time she wanted to be happy as well, but she knows that not everyone can be happy, and as always it’ll be her that gets hurt.

Avery would wait for Jongdae at the gates every morning, but all she got in return was his cold stare. This didn’t affect her though; this encouraged her to give him a brighter smile than the one that was already plastered on her face.

*   *    *

The annual showcase was approaching, and Li Yin saw a ray of light shine through into her life. Evelyn had twisted her ankle. Li Yin didn’t expect this to happen, but she had to go with what was infront of her, because she knew that after this, she wouldn’t have a chance to be this close to him ever again. Evelyn and Li Yin both had a dancing dream, but Jongdae only ever saw Evelyn’s side of everything. So when it was showcase, he was roaming around aimlessly, not knowing what to do. Li Yin grabbed Evelyn’s costume and raced to the dressing room. She didn’t let herself take a breath before changing into the costume. ‘This is your time to shine’, she thought to herself as she applied the makeup.

Jongdae looked at the woman infront of him. This was Li Yin. Not Evelyn. He never noticed the fact that Li Yin had the power to enthrall everyone with her beauty. But then again, he only ever saw Evelyn’s side of things. Jongdae snapped out of his gaze and rushed towards Li Yin and dragged her to the stage. They walked hand in hand onto the stage and stood in their positions.

The music started and their bodies started to flow with the music. Li Yin thought everything was magical, until she saw Jongdae’s cold face. She would never be the princess in his fairytale; the princess would always be Evelyn. Li Yin knew better than to sulk, so she focused hard on the steps and gave the audience a brilliant show. The show had ended, and the crowd had gone wild.

The curtains went down, and the magic died. The two walked off into different directions. Maybe Li Yin would never mean anything to Jongdae; maybe she would just be a shadow in his life, nothing more. She looked up into the sky, all the star’s shining back at her. She laughed at herself; even the stars had each other to rely on. She knew that she would always have to live in the shadow of Evelyn, so she walked home in the dark, thinking about what role she really played in Jongdae’s life.

The lights in her house flickered, it had been like that for ages, but Li Yin was the only one living in her house, so it never got fixed. Avery collapsed onto the floor in the dark; her tears had started falling long ago. You could say she was an emotional person, but right at this moment, she realised that she would never be able to mean anything to Li Yin, she realised that Evelyn had been overshadowing her for ages already, she realised that for so many years, she hadn’t felt the sensation of being loved. She knew that crying over this was just stupid, but she couldn’t help but feel all the emotions crash over her.

‘The clouds always rely on the sky, just like my love only exists because of you.’ Li Yin wanted to tell Jongdae her feelings, but she kept it caged up in that poor heart of hers. She recalled the memories from yesterday, which was the first time she had felt so amazing. It just seemed like they clicked so well. Avery walked off to school in a superior mood, but it was soon ruined when she was greeted by Jongdae. She was supposed to be happy, seeing that Theo was willing to talk to her, but what he said next made her fall from heaven to hell.


Soo! First chapter up! I don't know how often I'll be updating, but this story might only have a few chapters.

I made the chapters short so that it won't be a hassle to read. :)