The Hunt

Lamia

"Get him! Don't let him get away!"

The thudding hoofs of horses were heard throughout the forest along with the shouts of men. Five hunters armed with weapons chased after a lone wolf. A flickering orange glow could be seen illuminating the woods. 

"Shut up!" 

The leader at the front of the chase screamed at the men. A bow and arrow drawn at the ready, the others followed his example. They nearly had it. 

The animal they were chasing was only a couple of yard away, its paws thudding against the ground and digging against the dirt. It barely evades the occasional arrow shot at it. The hunters had been chasing it for miles and it grew tired, but so did the horses. Now the leader lifted his bow and aimed. The arrow went straight through wolf's shoulder; it let out a pained whine and slowed down. Smirking the leader drew closer to the animal, unsheathing his sword the man struck. The sword nicked at the wolf's back as it evaded the attack. Quickly getting back on its tail the hunter struck again and this time drew blood along the wolf's back. Another whine escaped the wolf's mouth as it nearly stopped in pain, but it kept going. 

The wolf bit at the horse's leg hopping to slow it down as a last resort. The horse stopped, stood on his hind legs, and gave out neigh. Quickly the wolf sharply turned in a last attempt at escape now that the horse slowed the other hunters down with its abrupt stop. 

The wolf's sight became blurry and it started to stagger, its adrenaline gone. It stopped and collapsed in front of a house. Eventually it heard the galloping of the horses and resigned it's self to the hunters, but they never came. As it was drifting into unconscious it heard the hunters cursing. 

"Where the is it?! How did we lose it?!"

The leader screamed at the men as he scanned the area again. 

"We were on his ing tail! How did he escape?!" 

The other hunters kept quiet as the leader cursed under his breath.

“This is why I work alone. ing amateurs; never hunted a werewolf before.  What if it bites me? Hmph, what a bunch of chicken s-”

Stopping mid rant the hunter finally locates the tracks left behind by the wolf only to scream in anger.

“They lead to nowhere! . . Someone is helping it, something is protecting it. Its… it’s a ing witch! The witch is protecting it, I can feel their magic but I didn’t come prepared for a witch so I can’t locate it. !”

Still screaming the human throws the torch away and mounts his horse again. After a few calming breaths and constant running his hands through his hair the hunter speaks.

“Let’s go back to town. I’ll come back later and hunt them myself since you lot were useless. No wonder your small pathetic town went begging for my help.”

Scoffing the hunter turned and sped off in to the dark toward the town leaving the others to catch up.

 


 

The moment the werewolf walked through Jaebum’s invisibility field around the house, Jaebum was awake instantly. Not a single soul should be able to walk through or be able to even look at the direction of the house. The invisibility field messed with the minds of anyone near, it made them go in a circle around the house while tricking the person that it went straight through. It was strong enough to fool even Yugyeom sometimes if he wasn’t careful. The fact that something was able to pass through made Jaebum’s hands charge with magic. Slowly getting out of bed Jaebum looked out his window and noticed an orange glow illuminating the normally dark forest, along with hunters and horses. One man was raging and screaming as he went around the house in a circle only to scream about a witch. Jaebum caught bits of mans screams, something along the lines of ‘come back… ready’, soon after they left.

Jaebum wasted no time in sprinting down the stairs the moment the hunters were out of sight and slamming the door to the outside open. His palms and fingers ready to attack glowed in a bright blue light as the wizard surveyed the area to find what had crossed his field.

“”

Quickly defusing his spell Jaebum dropped to his knees when he caught sight of a body laying face down with blood pooling beneath it. Quickly Jaebum cast a spell around the body that temporarily stopped time within it; the wizard’s hands then started to glow a soft green as he focused on stopping the bleeding along the young man’s back. The deep slashes across the man’s back slowly closed up as skin started knitting its self together again. Finally Jaebum gave his full attention to the arrow sticking out the body. Before recklessly pulling the arrow out Jaebum wanted to know whether it went through the whole shoulder, looking under the body Jaebum found his answer. The arrow had shot straight through the young man’s shoulder, though from what he could tell it hadn’t hit the bone. Taking a deep breath the wizard broke the arrow from its point and carefully pulled it out through the back.  A gush of blood started to pour out, but just like before his hands glowed green and after a couple of minutes the bleeding stopped, yet the wound didn’t close up.

Although Jaebum was a powerful wizard with the ability to perform countless spells, healing spells were different. They usually required a lot of magical energy and unless the wizard had specialized in healing and was trained efficiently in producing more energy they were very useless without the help of potions. Healing wizards were very rare and to find one would be a once in a lifetime encounter. So Jaebum did the next best thing then having a potion; he called Yugyeom.

“Yugyeom! Yugyeom, wake up! Yugyeom!”

Jaebum was never gladder that he had powerful lungs because the next minute Yugyeom was poking his head out the window of his room.

“Huh? Why are you out there hyung? What’s –“

“Shut up! Come down and help me; you can ask me later!”

Fast thuds could be heard in the house as Yugyeom made his way down the stairs as quick as possible. Slamming the door open -much like his mentor-  Yugyeom came to a stop in front of Jaebum.

“Help me carry him into the spare bedroom upstairs and be careful not to move him too much.”

Nodding Yugyeom slipped his hands under the unconscious man’s arms and heaved, Jaebum did the same. Careful not to bump the body into the door or the railings both wizards carried the man to the spare bedroom and laid him on the bed.

“Get me some bandages”

While Yugyeom looked for some bandages Jaebum finally had a chance to catch his breath and study the stranger he had just foolishly helped. Turning bright red Jaebum suddenly realized the man was , quickly he wrapped a thick blanket around the body and tried to look anywhere else.

“Here you go hyung.”

Startled at the sudden voice of Yugyeom, Jaebum quickly turned the young wizard away.

“Thank you Yugyeom. You can go to bed now.”

Yugyeom seemed happy to go back to sleep if his droopy bloodshot eyes were any sign. Sighing Jaebum got to work on wrapping the bandages around the man. It took longer than usual since the man was unconscious and not very helpful but Jaebum was done. Wrapping the body with the blanket again Jaebum left the room. All he wanted to do was sleep; he could deal with the man tomorrow, if he woke up.