Stranger

Lamia

The next day they started on incantations. It was also the first time Yugyeom had been outside to fully explore. He rarely got to go out but when he did it was always with the supervision of Jaebum.

It’s for your safety; you can’t use your magic yet. Many things out there want us dead.

It was true, without Jaebum he was a defenseless sheep waiting for a wolf to eat it. Hungry savage werewolves, vampires thirsty for his pure blood, even superstitious humans afraid of them. It made sense but sixteen years without experiencing the outside was too much. Yugyeom wanted to explore at the very least the beautiful lush forest that was their home. Maybe now that he was older Jaebum would let him out.

They went over the basics of concealing their house until Yugyeom knew them like the back of his hand.

All you need to do is picture the house is gone.

It was like Jaebum had read his mind about wanting to go out.

“Ne hyung, why isn’t it that cold yet? Usually around my birthday it gets chilly but this year its barley cold enough for a cloak.”

“Now that you mention it, you’re right. Seasons not coming in time mean that something drastic is coming. A big change, but I wouldn’t pay it too much mind.”

They continued practicing for a couple more hours until Jaebum deemed it enough practice for a day. This pattern continued for weeks, slowly Yugyeom was getting stronger. Strong enough for Jaebum to trust him more to go out by himself to collect wood. It was on that wood collecting outing where Yugyeom's life changed.

The day started off as any other. Yugyeom woke up early and made some breakfast for his hyung. Except Jaebum was strangely happy that morning - Yugyeom should have taken it as a bad omen- enough that he asked Yugyeom to collect wood. It was a rare chance to go out so the young wizard immediately agreed.

Outside Yugyeom searched for big enough pieces of log to take back, a quick spell and they would levitate behind him. Soon he had enough wood to last a couple of weeks so he took a short break. Yugyeom wondered around the forest -keeping a mental map of where he was- for a while, until he was almost near the human town. That was a sign to turn back immediately, the humans were wary of anyone that came out of the forest and would become suspicious.

On his way back to his house Yugyeom heard the quick pounding of foot steps against the fallen leafs that littered the ground. It sounded like someone was running, but that’s impossible. Nobody dared go into the woods. Before Yugyeom could question the sound further something smacked onto his back, sending him flying a couple of feet and colliding hard with the ground. Quickly getting up Yugyeom made a mad dash for his house not looking back and forgetting about what hit him or the logs that stop levitating when he fell over. His only goal now was to put as much distance between himself and the human that had clearly hit him.

"Wait! Wait please! Wait!"

Yugyeom ignored the shouts and kept running. Jaebum had warned him! ! Had told him over and over not to go near the town, not to be seen at any cost, yet Yugyeom had done both things and more. Lost in his thoughts Yugyeom didn't hear the same thundering foots steps, at least not until a large hand grabbed his shoulder and pulled him back. He was stunned and that gave the human enough time get a good grip on both of Yugyeom's upper arms.

"I said to … wait. I-I'm lost. I'm not going to … hurt you." Said a gruff panting voice of a human.

Yugyeom had yet to lift his head up, afraid of the face that belonged to the deep voice. He struggled some until he realized the human wasn't letting go. Finally gathering enough courage Yugyeom looked up. In front of him was a gorgeous human with red fiery hair and pink pouty lips. It was something new and it made Yugyeom shiver and his skin tingle where the human touched him.

"I'm going to let you go, but you have to promise me you won't run away"

 The wizard gave a quick nod. Slowly the redhead let Yugyeom go.

"I'm lost; I live in the town next to the forest. You seem to know your way around, can you lead me to the town. Please. I'll be in you debt."

The human sounded so pathetic, he was practically begging. Yugyeom knew better. He knew he should just turn and run. Knew that he shouldn't be talking to the human, much less even think about helping him, but Yugyeom was finding it difficult to say no. Fighting against his voice of reason -that sounded too much like Jaebum- Yugyeom ended up a agreeing to help.

 It was a quite journey but Yugyeom wasn't complaining. It was his only chance to see a human up close.

"My name is Mark by the way. I forgot to tell you."

Jumping at the sudden break in the silence Yugyeom gave a quiet squeak in surprise.

"I'm Yugyeom" Nodding Mark sped up his pace so he was walking along side Yugyeom.

"So what were you doing out in the woods? I've never seen you in town; do you live in the forest?"

At that Yugyeom gave an abrupt stop, Mark kept walking for a while until he realized his guide was not next to him.

Millions of thoughts and possible answers were racing through Yugyeom’s mind. Should he lie or bend the truth?  Yugyeom couldn’t tell Mark he was a wizard but if he told Mark he lived in town the human might try to look for him. Before Yugyeom could spit out a reasonable answer Mark beat him to it.

“You don’t have to tell me if it makes you feel uncomfortable. I was just curious.”  Mark gave a half smile in apology.

“No, it’s not that. You just caught me off guard. I do live in the woods with my … my older brother.” That was as close to the truth as it was going to get.

“That’s nice but aren’t you afraid of the witch?”

“Wh-what witch?”

“Don’t tell me you don’t know the story of the witch, I can’t believe that. Everybody in town knows it, that’s why they never enter the forest.”

Don’t panic, don’t panic, act natural

“Not really. I’ve lived in the forest all my life and never seen a witch.” That was technically true; Yugyeom hasn’t seen another person besides Jaebum period.

“That’s strange. The story of the evil witch that lives in the forest has been around for a couple of years after a kid disappeared when he entered the forest. The whole town searched the forest for days and never found the boy, only some bloodied rags. After that the towns people were scared and didn’t enter the forest, except for stupid me.” At that Mark scratched his neck in embarrassment.

“I don’t remember any of that, maybe I was too young?”  Yugyeom didn’t have to lie for that part. Jaebum never mention any lost boy, but knowing the forest and its inhabitants he wasn’t surprised the boy was never found.

“We’re here.” Said Yugyeom suddenly; he had almost walked into the town. If he had walked in the people would have asked questions and Yugyeom couldn’t do that to Jaebum.

“I have to get back. I was supposed to be back home by now, my brother is probably worried.” That part was true, knowing Jaebum he would be assaulted with questions the moment he got back.

“Sorry to keep you then. It was nice meeting you Yugyeom; maybe we could talk again sometime.”

That was unlikely but Mark didn’t need to know that so Yugyeom lied again and said “Sure”.

After that Mark left the dark forest and entered the light of the town, Yugyeom watching his every step until Mark disappeared around a corner. Letting out a sigh Yugyeom started his tread back home, picking up logs along the way. Once home Jaebum barely batted an eye at him and told him to practice his spells. Apparently Jaebum was working on a complicated potion for … something.

Outside Yugyeom practiced his spells and incantations or at least tried to. His mind was miles away thinking about the human with the odd hair named Mark.