Sequel

Puppy Love

Puppy Love

SEQUEL

 

Spring has most certainly reached its peaked. Flowers and trees had already started blooming in various colors, shapes and sizes causing nearly everyone a pollen allergy but it wasn’t spring if that didn’t happen. Byun Baekhyun sat on the bench situated under the blooming tree of the cherry blossom and stifled a yawn. He lightly bobbed his head along the beat of music playing in his ears and stared blankly at the paper on the table. He had a lyric composition assignment to make. It was due two days later but he hasn’t even started on it because he didn’t exactly know what to write. His best friend promised to help him but was missing at the moment. He opted to listen to the music on his stored on his iPad and  prayed that at least one idea would come and dawn into his oh so creative mind. He hoped listening to other music would help him be inspired to compose some lyrics but instead it had the opposite effect. Combined with the slightly warm weather and the lyrics flowing in his ears, his eyes slowly fell heavier and before he could even reach the second chorus of the song he was already fast asleep on the table.

 

"Baek! I’m here!!"

 

Park Chanyeol called out and arrived at the bench to find his friend was snoring lightly against the wooden table, an arm and the papers underneath his sleeping face. He sighed and scratched his head at the sight in front of him. He wasn’t sure if the trip back to their college to collect his guitar and back to their hang out spot outside the college was long that his companion ended up sleeping instead of continuing his little lyric composition.

 

He sat beside the sleeping Baekhyun and tried poking him with a pen but nothing happened. So, Chanyeol decided to bring out his smart phone from his back pocket and started taking pictures of his sleeping friend. The younger boy snickered evilly and took another photo. He raised his arm higher making sure he is included in it and made silly faces while pointing at his unsuspecting victim.

 

Since the camera sounds didn’t disturbed the sleeping brunette he continued with his little pranks and  brought out a pen and gently grabbed Baekhyun's arm unoccupied arm. Slowly, he wrote "I like Kim Taeyeon" on his arm and snickered. He was pretty sure the smaller brunette would freak out when he wakes up.  Kim Taeyeon was a senior from the College of Theatre Arts and Dance and he developed a slight crush on her when he accidentally bumped into her at the University Cafeteria.

 

Despite the younger boy’s mischievous attempts to wake Baekhyun up, the smaller boy remained unfazed and still slept like a baby. He saw Baekhyun wiggle his nose as he slept on their school papers and Park Chanyeol could only stare at him in amusement.

 

It's been six months since I've met this guy. Strangely, there were moments where he reminded me of Baek. Well...maybe because his name is so familiar to my tongue but Baek is Baek and this guy is Baek…hyun. Byun Baekhyun.  He isn’t my dog and a dog can't be human, it's just insanely impossible.

 

"So Baekhyun, Tell us more about yourself?" Jongdae casually asked as the three of them sat in a corner of a coffee shop located outside their campus. He sipped on his iced coffee and waited for their new friend to speak.  

 

The new student tapped his chin and smiled. It has been a week since he started hanging out with Jongdae and Chanyeol. Strangely but quickly he was able to get over his shyness towards them and immediately felt comfortable with the two guys like he had known them for years.    "Well, I'm Baekhyun. Born on May 6, 1992 and I hate nuts?" He replied dumbly.

 

"Wait, you're serious?" Chanyeol eyes grew wide at the new information. He dropped his mini donuts and sat straight on the couch.

 

“uhh…about the nuts?” Baekhyun asked unsure about Chanyeols sudden outburst.  “Yeah, I am?”

 

 "No no! I honestly thought you were younger that me—us." He said pointing at himself and Jongdae,who was nodding his head. 

 

"Um...does that mean I'm older then?" Baekhyun tilted his head on the side slightly confused at the younger boys statement and Chanyeol was sure he could hear a small dog whimper at the back of his head. . 

 

"Yeah, but by just a few months though. I was born in September and Chanyeol on November.” Jongdae said and stole a mini donut from Chanyeol’s plate. Baekhyun mouth formed an ‘o’ and nodded his head. “Anyway we're all born in the same year so no one gets to be called Hyung or whatever, okay?" He shrugs his shoulder and pats his friends on the back. "So what else?" He looked back at the smiling Baekhyun as if prompting him to continue.  

 

Baekhyun looked around and hesitated whether he should tell them the most important information he has been withholding from everyone else. He opened his mouth and closed it again for a few times but then spoke. "Well, I uh…got in an accident four to five years ago I’m not sure anymore and got hospitalized for it. Then a couple of months earlier I finally woke up. This is actually the first time in years I’ve hangout with friends." He said and grinned sheepishly. He watched his two new friends expression change from shock to sadness to sympathy.

 

"You mean you were like half dead the past few years?" Jongdae gasped and threw his arms around Baekhyun, hugging him like a teddy bear and rubbing his cheeks on the brunette’s head.  “Oh, our poor Baekhyuunieee!! ”

 

The older boy lightly chuckled and nodded his head. “If you put it bluntly I guess, yes I was half dead?” He said.

 

“You missed a lot then!! Let me tell you what you missed.” Jongdae gushed out and immediately after that the three of them engaged in different topics ranging from random news and recent discoveries here and there to idols ,music, politics, food and more. Chanyeol and Jongdae started filling the gaps that were missing when Baekhyun was hospitalized.  

 

The first few weeks made me really think Baekhyun was Baek. It nearly made me go crazy, Jongdae thought I WAS crazy. But...I missed Baek. He was my other best friend, my angst bucket, my little bubble of joy. The way Baekhyun groaned and covered his face in embarrassment during his introduction made me remember Baek when Mom scolded him for pee-ing in the kitchen. He would always cover his little face with his furry paws and whimper.

 

A month after Baekhyun’s arrival in our university, Jongdae and I had our first fight in a long time and it was all about trying to move on from Baek’s death and believing at my thoughts that Baekhyun is Baek.

 

“Damn it, Chanyeol. Just get over your dog already. It’s been four months!!” Jongdae yelled and slammed his hands on the table. “Baekhyun isn’t Baek! Stop comparing a dog to a human! It’s really offending. I had enough of your theories. “

 

“He wasn’t just A dog, Jongdae!!” Chanyeol barked back, completely forgetting that he was telling him his weird theory and gritted his teeth. He didn’t like it when Baek was treated like just an ordinary dog because he wasn’t. He was family, brother and a best friend to him.

 

Jongdae rolled his eyes and grabbed his bag. “I give up!! Talk to me when you’re ready to discuss something that makes more sense.” He said leaving Chanyeol alone on the bench.

 

He just had to open his mouth and suggest that Baekhyun was Baek’s human form or something along those lines and Jongdae suddenly blew a fuse and they started arguing.

 

“Um, Chanyeol? ”

 

Chanyeol looked up and saw Baekhyun standing a few meters away from him. He looked like was hesitating to walk up to him at first but the older boy took a deep breath and decided to walk and  sit beside him. There was a minute of silence between them and it was starting to get awkward so Baekhyun decided to speak. “Um…Are you alright? You don’t look so good.”

 

He exhaled loudly and slumped on the wooden table. “I’m fine. I just had a small argument with stupid Jongdae”

 

Baekhyun suddenly chuckled and nodded his head. “He passed by me but I think he didn’t notice me because he was mumbling something like Stupid Chanyeol too.” He said slightly amused at how their friendship worked. “Maybe you two are just stupid?” He leans on the table and sees Chanyeol staring at his phone wallpaper. On the younger’s cellphone screen was a photo of himself and a brown puppy gathered in his arms.  “Oh, cute!  Is he your puppy?”

 

Chanyeol sighed and nodded his head. “Well, he was my puppy” He said softly, correcting his older friend and continued to stare at the puppy sadly.

 

The older boy’s brow furrowed at the past tense and tilts his head confusedly. “Was?” He asked.

 

“My dog died four months ago.” 

 

“I..I’m so sorry for your loss. I didn’t—“

 

“It’s okay. Baekhyun. You don’t have to apologize. “The giant sighed heavily and hid his face on the arm he was resting on. There was another pregnant pause between them and Chanyeol was the one who decided to break it. “Jongdae and I argued over Baek.” He mumbled.

 

Baekhyun blinked several times and looked at him completely dumbfound. “Err, you guys argued over …me?” He asked, his brows nearly knitted together in confusion as he looked at the boy beside him. Chanyeol suddenly laughed and shook his head immediately. He realized he hasn’t actually told Baekhyun about his dog Baek yet. He sat up and looked at the befuddled older brunette and pointed at his phone. 

 

“My dog’s name is Baek. “ He explained and started talking about his life with Baek before how he was his buddy, best friend and comfort.  “Jongdae and I fought because I told him that …”He pursed his lips and looked at Baekhyun slightly unsure about how Baekhyun was going to feel after telling him the truth.  “that…Baek might have been reincarnated into a human in the form of Byun Baekhyun. “He said softly while a light blush graced his cheeks finally realizing how insane it sounded.

 

The other boy stared at as if he grew ten heads and suddenly burst out laughing while hitting his thighs. Baekhyun might have heard the best joke of the week today. “Chanyeol, are you sure you didn’t hit your head or something this morning?” Baekhyun asked as he wiped a few stray tears in his eyes and looked back at the frowning giant who looked slightly offended.  “Chanyeol,” He smiled and reached out the others hand. “I’m a normal human though. I have parents who I resemble greatly. I grew up perfectly and humanly fine. “ He gave him a small smile and squeezed his hands.. “and…I’m not Baek. I’m not your pet.

 

He let Baekhyun’s word sink in. Chanyeol sighed and nodded his head afterwards. “Fine.”

 

Those words shattered my little hope of finding Baek in Baekhyun…I was partly finding comfort in Baekhyun’s existence I guess. Maybe, it’s because there’s always a small voice in the back of my head that blames me for Baek’s death. I had so many regrets and one of them was always leaving Baek alone when he never did to me. Maybe that’s why I began thinking Baekhyun was Baek’s reincarnation.

 

That or….I probably had too much free time reading books about reincarnation and other weird stuffs.

 

“Chanyeol, I’m your friend and as your friend I am concerned about you and Jongdae. You have to patch things up with him.” Baekhyun sighed as he sat beside the taller boy in their classroom. He stared at his other friend sitting far away from them as possible and massaged his temple as he recalled talking to Jongdae the other day about talking to Chanyeol and making up. The other one is as hard headed as the other and refused to talk to him unless he apologizes.

 

 “He has to apologize first. He called Baek just a dog. My cute little puppy being slandered when he’s in puppy heaven. How can he do that. ”

 

Baekhyun groaned and nearly claw his face out. “Oh god, one more word and I’m gonna hit you with my shoes Chanyeol. Just apologize. One of you has needs to step down from your all mighty high prides and that’s you.  You’re the one who thought I was your pet in the first place. “Baekhyun slightly scolded.. “Your cute little pet pup” he repeated sounding a little sarcastic yet playful.

 

“Okay. I’m sorry for thinking that way to you Baekhyun. I’ve apologized for that million of times already.” Chanyeol groaned.  “But I’m not the first one to apologize. He insulted Baek!”

 

The older boy face palmed and sighed tiredly. “Listen to me, please? Jongdae was just thinking that it would be rude to say something like I look like Baek. He didn’t insult your pet. ” He breathed out but Chanyeol still acted like a stubborn mule and refused to listen to his friend. “Okay. Fine. I get it. You think I’m cute and I appreciate that but….go the out there and apologize to Jongdae. Look at him, he hasn’t hang out with us for a week already! I miss the poor troll too you know” He said.  

 

“Hey! I-I didn’t think you’re cute” Chanyeol suddenly blushed bright pink earning a teasing smile from Baekhyun.  He continued to stammer and Baekhyun knew he was already winning this little argument.

 

“ you. My logic is right and yours is wrong. So you think I’m cute!” Baekhyun grinned and tugged on Chanyeol’s arms. “ Come on, since you think I’m so cute, I’m going to use it against you and ask you to apologize to Jongdae so that all this drama will end.”

 

Chanyeol groaned when Baekhyun pouted and stared at him with puppy eyes that greatly resembled Baek’s when he would ask for treats. It was the look that made him succumb to Baek and give him what the treat without even doing the trick he asked to do “You are one evil little .” He mumbled causing Baekhyun to smile widely at him. In a single heartbeat, Chanyeol’s little pride has been reduced into dust and he was already marching down towards Jongdae to apologize.

 

There are still times when think Baekhyun might be Baek but he really isn’t. I’ve always wondered back when I was kid what would Baek look like if he was human.  Damn, I think I need to rethink that thought again...but Baek, if you can hear me I think I might have an inkling on how you’d be if you really were a human and my friend.

 

Baekhyun is playful, sassy at times, kind and always ready to listen to everything I say. Just like you.

 

Probably.

 

“Finished ogling at my pretty face?”

 

Chanyeol’s bubble bursts and he realizes Baekhyun was staring back at him as he still had his head pressed on the table. His ears change colors and he immediately averts his eyes away from the boy beside him. “Sorry. I was uh…”He fails to construct a sentence remembering how Baekhyun was staring at him.  

 

Baekhyun smiles and sits up. He suddenly pecks a quick kiss on the younger boys cheeks, startling him in the process. Chanyeol stares at him, eyes widened and he was pretty sure his brain suddenly shutdown.

 

He faintly recalls how Baek would jump on his bed and suddenly his face out of the blue.

 

“Serves you right for staring at me.” He grinned and stuck his tongue out at him. Baekhyun then stretches his arms on the tables as he squint his eyes close and makes a small whimpering sound making Chanyeol think of Baek again and how he stretches on his bed after a long nap at the foot of his bed. 

 

Yep, similar.

 

But he dismisses his thought that Baek is Baekhyun or vice versa and stares at Baekhyun who yawns and rubs his eyes after stretching. “You know, I had a weird dream. Chanyeol.” He said softly.

 

“Uh, about?” He raised a brow at the older and waited for him to tell him about his dream which he was already half guessing involves them being some superstar coming from another planet and had super powers or something or wolves that fights over one girl.

 

“A dog.” Baekhyun said looking at him seriously.

 

“A dog? Uh..like you had a dog kind of dream?” Chanyeol dumbly supplied and earned a punch on the shoulder from the older boy.

 

Baekhyun shook his head and smiled widely at him. “No.”

 

“Then what?” The younger brunette asked and poked Baekhyun on the cheeks. His lips slightly protruded and waited for the older boy to spill. “Don’t leave me hanging here when you just told me your dream, Baek”

 

“Oh shush. I told you already.” Baekhyun grinned and swatted the younger’s hand away from his face and rearranged the papers scattered in front of him. “Go figure”

 

“Baekkieee, tell me!” Chanyeol whined but Baekhyun ignored him and started on his assignment. He smiled to himself and started writing a song that may or may not have been loosely connected to another lifetime.

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Okay, Sorry, it took time for me to update. Initially, I didn't plan on making a sequel but I couldn't resist making one when all of you asked for one and told me the ending calls for a sequel. So tadaa!  It actually took time for me to come up with the best plot for the sequel so I decided to go with Chanyeol's POV this time since we all know how Baek thinks last time. As for the ending, i'm leaving it as it is. Semi-open ending. Whatever runs around your mind after reading may be the ending you and I are thinking of ;)  Who knows~ Tell me your thoughts anyways ^^ 

I hope the fluff is enough for this. I wrote this at 2 AM in the morning so I'm sorry if it still lacked fluff and all. 

That's it for this story. 

Hope you guys can leave your thoughts and comments bellow. I'd like to hear from all of you and THANK YOU FOR reading ^^.