Puppy Love

Puppy Love

Puppy Love

There was a fleeting moment where I wished I wasn't even born in this world. Two weeks after living with small family, I was heartlessly thrown away down in an alley, all alone, hungry, cold and freezing.

The family that once sheltered me was gone. One day I was living in a cozy little house with two children and the next day I was alone to fend for myself when I couldn't even barely walk. I was sure that moment  that the family I just had started to know had abandoned me and left me here. No one spared me a glance no matter how much I even try and call their attention. No one cared for a pup like me. A pup who would yap and whine at everything or anything.  The only person who spared a glance at me was the baker across the street. He gave me a box to hide into and a small bowl of milk but he never took me home. I vaguely remember him apologizing to me and there was nothing I could do….

 

until you came.

 

"Oh..?."

 

" Chanyeol, what's wrong?"

 

"Hold on a minute, Jongdae"

 

The young boy stopped on his track and paused to stare at the small puppy whining behind the small garbage can curiously. A wide grin spread across the boys face and he carefully approached the shivering pup who was taking shelter under a soggy carton box of canned tuna. He looked so tiny and fluffy but dirty. Who would heartlessly throw away a cute puppy, like this one he wondered.

 

Seeing a stranger approaching him, the small brown pup immediately backed away and ran out of the box to the back of it. Half of his small body was hidden while his rear end was exposed. His tail tucked between his two hind legs and he let out a small whimper.

 

Chanyeol chuckled thinking how cute the pup was and squatted down. "It's okay, buddy. Don't be scared." He said and opened his arms, hoping the pup would understand him.  “I won’t hurt you. "

 

Sensing no threat from the stranger and the gentleness from his voice, the puppy carefully but cautiously crawled out from behind the box and looked at the boy who only waved his open arms on each of his side as if welcoming him to a hug. “Come on buddy.” He called out and grinned happily at him.

 

“Oh, brother” His older friend who was standing out on the sidewalk rolled his eyes at Chanyeol. He knew Chanyeol liked pets…no-- loved animals. Once, he had a pet ferret and he treated it like his brother until it ran away from him when they were in one of their camping trips back in fourth grade and on their fifth grade he had a fish but….Sehun’s cat accidentally ate his goldfish when he forgot to put his fish bowl back in his room and left it in their living room where PinkeuPinkeu was taking his cat nap.

 

"Aren't you a cute one!" He said picking the puppy up and lifting it up to his eye level and tapping his wet nose. "Ya, Jongdae. Don't you think this pup is too cute to be on the street?"

 

Jongdae gave his friend a weird look and looked down at the brown puppy now collected in Chanyeol’s arms. He was tiny and looked like a little fur ball, all curled up in his friends arms. "Well...yeah but...you aren't allowed to have dogs at home remember. Your sister is allergic to them."

 

"But look how adorable he is!! “Chanyeol gushed out. He looked back and forth from the puppy to Jongdae and his friend. “My sister won't be able to resist this pup! He looks different. He looks squishy, cute, fluffy and..and " He argued and nearly shoved the clueless puppy at Jongdaes face. “pretty.”

 

"It still doesn't change the fact Yura noona is allergic to dogs though."

 

Chanyeol shrugged his shoulders and stuffed the pup inside his jacket. "Well, I'm still keeping him. Sorry. I can’t come with you today after all!!" He yelled before leaving his friend to do his grocery errands alone and rushed back to his house to give the pup a proper bath.

 

The older boy sighed heavily and scratched his head in defeat. “I got ditched for a dog, seriously. ”

 

Jongdae concluded that his friend has fallen in love at first sight with a stray pup.

 


Stealthily and quietly, Park Chanyeol climbed up to his room and moved to his bathroom. He was perfectly aware of what he got himself into. Dogs were not allowed at home. When his sister came home from a friend’s house after cuddling her friend’s dog too much she ended up sneezing and suddenly contracting a fever the following day. Since then, she wasn’t allowed to touch any dogs or even get close to them and dogs were never allowed in the Park’s household.

 

But here we are at Chanyeol’s bathroom where he still has his grin ear to ear as he watched the small pup walk around the unfamiliar place. His bathroom was neither too big or too small, just a bath tub adjacent to the sink and toilet bowl and a small towel rack above it. A mirror and a little decoration completed his little comfort room. Still lost and confused, the small pup stared to whimpered and stare at the young boy who immediately shushed him.

 

“Quiet down, buddy. You’re gonna get us in trouble.”

 

The brown pup whined and tilted his head to the side. The young boy laughed. He was completely and utterly smitten by this little ball of fur. He sat on the edge of his tub and brought the pup on his lap. "Okay, listen to me. This is going to be your new home but...you have to promise me to be quiet, understood?" Chanyeol playfully tapped on the pups nose as he talked to him. But the pup obviously still had no idea what he was actually saying nor probably has the idea that he was finally being adopted into the Parks household. Laughing at himself for even trying to talk to a small clueless puppy, Chanyeol shook his head thinking he probably lost his sanity. He was talking to a puppy, a dog, an animal who wouldn’t obviously respond to him…yet he found it really soothing.

 

Yep. He has completely gone bonkers. He concluded.

 

"Anyway, for starters, let's get you cleaned up because you stink." He wrinkled his nose. He picked up the puppy who started whining again and placed him down in the tub.

 

You gave me a name.

 

“Hmm…how about Kris?”

 

The pup growled and shook his small body and spraying the water at Chanyeol. “Stop that” He laughed and shielded his face from the water droplets. “Alright, alright  you don’t like that?” He said and dropped the small towel around his new pet. While giving the pup a quick bath he started brain storming names for his new found friend and up to now he hasn’t found a good name for him. “Uh, browny? “ He grinned sheepishly.

 

But the puppy only whined again and sat on top of his sink tiredly. He stared at him as if giving him that are-you-serious-look.  Just because he was brown he had to name the dog Browny. The young boy messed his hair for the nth time and another name popped out of his head. He hit his fist with an open palm and looked at the small puppy infront of him.

 

“Baek!”

 

The pups ears perked up and stuck out his tongue and looked up at him as if he was smiling. His black round eyes seemed to sparkle in delight at the sound of the name. He barked once startling Chanyeol. The young boy chuckled before covering Baek’s mouth. “Shh!” He grinned and pat Baek’s head. “Baek it is then.” He decided.

 

You gave me a place to finally call home, a family and a best friend, I remember how you even got yourself in an argument with your mother just to let me stay in your house when I made a fuss because you left me alone in your room.

 

"Mom! I can't throw Baek away!! Have a heart!"

 

"Baek?!" His mother gasped and put a hand on her forehead as she felt an impending headache from this argument. "Oh god,  Chanyeol, you named that dog, Baek?"

 

"What's wrong with Baek?"

 

"We can't keep a dog here you know that."

 

Chanyeol glared at his mother and stomped his feet like a five year old child. "But noona is living in a dorm near her University right now. She won't get allergies all the way from here would she?"

 

"And what if she comes back?"

 

"Baek can stay in my room, Mom. I can train him. He'll be the best dog who won't make a fuss. I won’t let Noona touch Baek if she’s still having allergies. Just let him stay with us, Please"

 

Sorry, bud but I made a fuss-- a lot of fuss.  I always mess up your room, chew on your chair, ate your geography homework and your english essay, ruined your favourite socks, hid your dads slippers and ruined your moms flower bed...but you didn’t throw me away like my old family. Instead you would just scold me and patiently teach me what I can do and what I can’t.

 

"PARK CHANYEOL. BRING THAT DOG OUT OF MY KITCHEN BEFORE I THROW HIM OUT."

 

Chanyeol groaned and carried Baek in his arms. The brown pup cowered underneath Chanyeols arms and wince as he heard his mother yell something about making a mess around the house right after she had just finished cleaning it. “ So what did you do this time, Baek?" He asked placing him down on the floor.

 

Baek wagged his tail happily and barked happily, earning a small laugh from his owner. He trotted down the entrance while Chanyeol followed him behind.

 

His owner groaned as he saw the mess his pet had created. His father’s Sunday newspaper was all torn into bits of pieces and scattered from the entrance all the way to the living room down to the kitchen. "You've been doing this for weeks already Baek. Are you sure you don't hold any grudge against the newspaper?”

 

The pup barked twice and Chanyeol considered it as a no. "Seriously though You have to stop ripping Dads newspaper. It’s bad. He needs it and if you really want to rip papers. I'll gladly give you all my failed Math exams so Mom doesn’t have to see it. Feel free to rip them apart just don't do that to the newspaper" He said as he led the pup to their back yard and pet him on the head. "Do you understand me Baek?"

 

Baek barked thrice and ran around him in circles. He took it as a yes and watched Baek dashed out to their backyard and run after a pink butterfly.

 

I was the happiest when you would talk to me, Chanyeol. I love listening to your stories at school, your friends, what you did after class and your complaints towards the amount of homework you have to do every night. Sometimes I wish I could help you solve all those weird problems but maybe I might give up on it like you do.  And when your mom scolded you and grounded you for a week. I wanted to comfort you.  I don’t like seeing you sad because it makes me sad too.

 

Chanyeo lightly laughed when he felt a nudge on his feet. He looked up with red eyes to see what his pet was upto and found his best bud looking up at him with his dirty tshirt in his mouth. "Baek. I can't wipe my face with a shirt filled with mud" He pulled out the dirty laundry from Baek and placed it on top of his bedside table. "But thank you buddy" He reached out to pat Baek's head. A small smile formed on his lips as he pulled himself down on the floor and hug Baek. “Knowing you’re here makes it all better. Thanks Baek”

 

And when you finally fell in love…I was happy for you. To me, I was glad that there's finally another person who would look after you, take care of you. Yes, truthfully I was happy. Kyungsoo was a nice guy. He liked me and played with me whenever he hangs out here. I can see how much you like him and how much he likes you back.

 

Congratulations on getting a love life, buddy!

 

"Kyungsoo, come on. You can play with Baek later" Chanyeol pulled his boyfriend away from his dog and whispered something in his ears causing the smaller boy to blush and hit him on the chest.

 

“Idiot” Kyungsoo mumbled before holding his hand and touching Chanyeol’s cheek.

 

Baek could only stare at the two from the floor and wonder what they could be talking about. Well, even if he could hear them he probably would not have the slightest idea of what it could be. He was a dog after all and not a human.

 

Yes, you fell in love. I was happy but as days passed by I felt more alone. You spent less time at home unlike before. You didn't play with me anymore. You didn't talk to me anymore. I was starting to feel lonely.

 

Just like that night when they threw me out.

 

It made me wish that I was a human rather than a dog.

 

I wanted to talk to you too.

 

"Baek will you stop it?" Chanyeol hollered at his pet as he felt him tugging on his pajamas when he was having a pleasant talk with Kyungsoo on the phone. "Soo, could you please hold on for a second. Baek's getting annoying."

 

Chanyeol stared at his dog and scratched his head. He rolled his eyes at Baek and heaved a sigh before picking him up and keeping him out in the backyard. "Just...Just stay here and stop bothering me when I'm talking to Kyungsoo."

 

I wasn't your priority anymore, Chanyeol. That day I just wanted to play with you but…you made me stay outside and ever since then, I remained outside. Time quickly passed and you graduated high school and went off to college. The young boy who adopted me and brought me to this house has grown and I too had grown. I was no longer the pup you picked up behind the trash can, I was now a bigger dog living in the backyard of the Parks household. Yes, I had grown bigger and I had grown used to not seeing you.

 

Soon it was only me and your parents staying in the house but your mother and father were still nice to me despite all the things I did to them and their stuffs.  When you visited home you would only just wave at me before going back inside. From the little house your dad built  for me,  I could only watch you from there while you talk on the phone probably with Kyungsoo.

 

But that didn't make me love you less. At least I know you’re still there and I’ll be waiting for you to come and talk to me.

 

I remember that autumn, you came home and sat beside me. You told me you had a serious argument with Kyungsoo which led to the two of you breaking up. If I was human Chanyeol I would have given you a tight hug and help you feel better. I'd do anything to ease your heartache buddy...but all I could do was rest my head on your lap and listen to you silently.

 

"You know, what's funny Baek?" Chanyeol sniffed and wiped his nose with the back of his hand before resting it on Baek’s head. Baek’s ears perked up and listened attentively to his owner " In the end you're still the best buddy I could ever ask for. You don't complain or yell at me. Jongdae’s a great friend but sometimes he can be a pain in the . But you…"

 

That's because I am a dog idiot. If I was human you might want to cut down with all the dumb stuffs you ever did because I might have knocked some sense out of you….or joined you…it depends.

 

"You silently listen to all the crap I say. You don't say anything yet just seeing you makes me feel a whole lot better."

 

Well…It's good to know my existence can still be useful. 

 

"We argued...about me transferring to another University. It's going to be far away from here Baek. I finally got a scholarship and Dad finally allowed me to pursue my love for music. Jongdae is there so its going to be fun. “He said as he looked up at the blue sky slowly mixing with the orange rays of the setting sun. “I..I wanted to bring you with me but the apartment I'm staying doesn't allow pets." Chanyeol sighed and played with Baek's fluffy ears. "I'm not even sure if I can come home during holidays either."

 

Baek looked at his owners face with those black beady eyes and Chanyeol laughed. "Don't look at me like that. I know you understand what I'm saying...but Noona, Mom and Dad are going to take care of you while I'm not here. Don’t worry." He said as he brushed his hand on Baek's back. "Even if Noona's allergic to dogs she said she likes you, remember?"

 

Baek could only wag his tail a little. Remembering how Yura squealed the moment she laid eyes on the puppy Baek cuddled in Chanyeol’s arms. Since then, Yura was allowed to touch Baek as long as she wears a face mask and Chanyeol couldn’t be any happier when his entire family has accepted Baek as part of their small family.  "And mom bought you a new toy to play with in case you get lonely when no one is at home.” Chanyeol continued to talk and played the small panda in front of him. “ You can have my precious little bear too, Baek” He said pulling out the familiar brown bear in a cow suit and showed it to him. The brown dog eyes fixated itself at the familiar toy. “Remember when you stole this from my bed?” He asked and smiled at the toy he was holding. “You know I love this Rilakkumas but I’m giving you one of them since I’m really going be gone for a long time. He’ll be the one to stay with you while I’m gone” He laughed and wiped his teary eyes. “You probably think I’m crazy huh? I’m getting teary eyed talking to you. ”

 

The brown dog stared at him and nudged his owners hand with his nose again and let out a small whimper.

 

I want to cry too Chanyeol.

 

“I kinda wish you could talk to me too Baek. You would probably be a great friend. You know that?” Chanyeol sighed and hugged Baek. Baek barked at him and his face and stuck out his tongue while looking at him. He looked like as if he was smiling at his owner like a doggy smile as Chanyeol would describe it.

 

I wish I was too.

 

“I’m gonna miss you much, buddy.”

 

I’m gonna miss you too.

 

Christmas, New Year, Valentines, April Fools came around but you haven’t come home. The seasons have changed and everyone moved on with their lives. Your mother and father opened their own restaurants and your sister returned home…while I still continued to stay in the four corners of your backyard. I get a little lonely sometimes but the bear that you gave me made everything better. Ya, Chanyeol aren’t you proud of me I haven’t rip his head apart. This is a great achievement!!  You were right when you said it would be a great company. I didn’t feel lonely whenever I sleep with it at night.  There are days when your dad would sometimes play fetch with me and your mom would still scold me for digging a few holes here and there and your sister would take me to walks even if she has allergies. She does a great job and I’m happy when she move back home while you are still in College.  

 

“Good Morning Baek!” Yura chirped as she wore her face mask and held the dog leash. She squat down and gave the brown dog a pat on the head before she started messing with Baek’s ears with her hands. “Let’s go for a walk shall we? I heard Chanyeols coming back today!” She said as she picked up his leash and held on to it.

 

Hearing Chanyeols name, Baek could no longer hold his excitement and started  tugging on his own leash,pulling Yura along. His owner was finally coming home for a visit and maybe they could play like the old days. Baek wished their walk would end quickly and so that he could wait by the porch to welcome Chanyeol back. Chanyeols older sister laughed at the enthusiasm Baek was showing as she  closed the door behind her. “Calm down, Baek. When we get home I’ll make sure you’ll be the first to welcome our Chanyeollie back” She said as she gave his head a final pat and started their walk.

 

The walk seemed to take forever for Baek. All he wanted was to see his favourite owner slash buddy again. It’s been a long time after all. They went around the park, met some children who messed with Baeks ears and pet his head and a short bread shopping at a nearby bakery. Their walk home seemed shorter as Baek led the way back home.

 

My buddy is coming home finally!!

 

Yura’s phone rang and she had to pick it up earning a small whine from the eager dog. “Oh, shush Baek. It’s Chanyeol.” She grinned at the dog before answering her call. “Hey. I’m out on a walk with Baek…mmm near the Bakery…oh you're just around? Okay--”

 

Hearing Chanyeol’s name he barked and barked, no longer able to hold his excitement. He was starting to get impatient as Yura continued to talk to Chanyeol on the phone when someone briskly bumped against his owners sister and snatching her phone and bag in the process.  

 

“H-Hey!!”

 

Yura was knocked over and lost her grip on the Baek leash. Seeing Yura get hurt, Baek growled and tried to chase after the thief and her things “Oh no..” Yura's eyes widened as she could only watched as the brown dog ran after the thief. The two of them gave each other a chase and crossed the street when…

 

“ BAEK!!! ”

 

Yura’s shrilled scream and the sound of a screeching car filled that very day. 

 

Chanyeol, I’m glad you took me under your wings. For once, I’m glad that the first family who had me threw me out on the streets that night because if not I wouldn’t have met you and your family. I’m glad that you picked me up from that cold alley and made me a home. I’m glad that I was able to find a friend like you. Even if I made a mess, you didn’t get angry at me and even if I did I’m happy you didn’t throw me away.

Did you know?...when you left, I’ve always…always looked forward to the day you would come home and call my name. Just knowing you’re there at home even if I stayed out made me glad. Ah, My best friend is here, I would always think.

 

“Baek!! No!!”

 

Ah, Chanyeol, my best friend. You’re home!! Welcome home Buddy!! Sorry, I couldn’t wait for you any longer.

 

“Baek!! Please!!”

 

Hey, Chanyeol.  If I can become human…will you still tell me stories?

 

“Noona, call for help!!”

 

Will you still laugh and cry with me?

 

“Baek!! Don’t go!!”

 

Will you still love me?

 

Like I did?

 

“Don’t leave me Buddy!! Baek!”

 

Chanyeol…..Will you still be my best friend?


 

­­

3 Months later...

 

Jongdae stared at his friend and shook his head. "You know, you look far worst than you did when you broke up with Kyungsoo."He said and looked at their now empty lecture room. Classes were officially over for the day but they stayed behind because his giant friend was extremely feeling down and didn't bother listening to their lecture throughout the day. 

 

Chanyeol slumped on his desk and sighed. "I lost a family member Jongdae can you please shut up and let me sulk…just for today. This day marks Baeks 3rd month. “He sighed heavily .

 

The older guy kept his mouth shut and gave his friend a sympathetic pat on the back.  Ever since Baek, his dog died he has been down in the dumps. He couldn't clearly grasp what Chanyeol and his dog had. Sure he was family but was losing the dog a great loss for him?

 

"He wasn't just any dog." Chanyeol mumbled as if reading Jongdae's thoughts. "He was like another best friend to me. " He said softly as he stared at his phone's wallpaper.

 

It was a photo of him and Baek when he had first brought him home. Baek was a still little pup fresh and all wet from the bath while he was sitting at the edge of the tub holding him. Jongdae glanced at the pup on his friend’s cellphone and couldn't help but crack a smile smile. He also had a small memory with the said pup. It happened when he was spending a night over at the Parks. Baek played a prank on him and suddenly stole his piglet printed socks and hid it in Chanyeol’s backyard and his friend didn’t even scold his pet for it rather he actually laughed the whole time and thanked Baek for giving him a good laugh when Jongdae freaked out, realizing his favourite socks went missing. Thinking about it now made him chuckle but that didn’t actually help his friend feel a little bit better.

 

"You wouldn't believe it but Baek cheers me up or practically knows when I'm down. It's like he has a sixth sense or something. He even dragged a t-shirt from my laundry one time as if he wanted me to use it when I cried."

 

"Dude, you cried?!" Jongdae playfully gasped at the new revelation. Chanyeol hit his friend on the shoulder and rested his head back on the desk again.  He never cries…well in front of anybody he wouldn’t. Baek was the only one who had seen Chanyeols fragile side. He has probably seen all the times Chanyeol had cried more than his friends and family did but he wasn’t gonna tell Jongdae that. He’ll probably use that to black mail him one of these days.

 

"I was a kid back then. Mom grounded me for a week and Baek brought me a shirt!" He chuckled at the memory, remembering Baek's little cute puppy eyes and whimpers. However, the smile on his face immediately fell into a frown again and looked away. "You know...I've been a bad owner to him. " He said softly and started playing with his snap back.  "I locked him out at the backyard until he got used to it...then I moved out to study and rarely saw him." Chanyeol took a sharp intake of breath and let it go shakily. "and the last time I saw him...he was running after my sister's thief and got  involved in an accident."

 

"Chany-" Jongdae looked down finally understanding his friend. He was about to give Chanyeol a pat on the shoulder when he saw their professor opening the door of their room.

 

"Ah! Finally some students!!"

 

Chanyeol straightened up and his brows furrowed at the sight of his Professor standing at the door of their lecture room looking all happy and relieved. 

 

"Is there something wrong, Mr. Lee?"

 

Their young professor nodded his head and called the two boys over. "Well, It’s a good thing you asked Mr. Park, Mr. Kim.“ He cleared his voice and ushered them to come out of the room. “I was actually in need of a little help  and seeing that you two gentlemen are still here, why don't you show our new student  around the college building."

 

"Uhm..I'm sorry, What?" Jongdae stared at his professor. 

 

"We have a new student Mr. Kim. He's going to be in the same class as you two are. He’s well-“ He glanced down at the paper in his hand and fixed his glasses “in the same year and major as you are actually...so you guys better be friends with Mr. Byun."

 

"Oh.." Jongdae raised a brow and threw his arms behind his head. He looked at his friend and shook his head. He looked completely zoned out and probably tuned out of their conversation with their professor. Chanyeol didn’t look like he was in the mood for any tours but seeing that his friend is so down in the dumps maybe touring some new kid around but would probably help the younger guy to keep his mind off of from blaming himself for their loss. "Sure,  Mr. Lee.  So…where's the new guy?" The brunette asked looking around. 

 

"Well...This is… huh?" Mr. Lee looked around realizing that the young man he asked to come with was suddenly missing.  "Oh boy, he was with me just a minute ago." Their professor scratched his head and stared at the paper in his hand. “He has a slight problem  with meeting new people but…..”

 

The slight movement from the end of the hallway pulled Park Chanyeol back to reality. His brows furrowed and without a word he walked towards the shadow he had seen move earlier. Stopping at the corner he took a deep breath and turned to find a small boy shying at the corner. "Um…” He cleared his voice and asked nicely. “Are you the new student Mr. Lee was talking about?"

 

The smaller boy looked up and a small smile curved up his thin lips. "U-uh..Umm...Y-yeah." He nodded his head and shyly stretched out his hand . "Hello?” He looked up at the taller boy.

 

Chanyeol stared at the boy and blinked several times. For a split second he just looked like the small pup he had seen shying at the corner 4 years ago. He stared at the features of the boy standing in front of him. He was small and cute in his jeans and red plaid shirt over a plain white one. He had brown hair that lightly brush against his eye brows, pinkish lips and his cheeks were slightly flushed probably from the cold weather they were having and his eyes were round and cute...just like …

 

Baek?

 

" Ugh.Why am I even comparing you to a dog..."Chanyeol muttered to himself and ran his hand through his hair in a slight frustration

 

"I-I'm sorry?" The smaller boy stuttered and tilted his head to the side confused at the taller guy infront of him.

 

The taller boy laughed, shaking his head and smiled at the new student. "Park Chanyeol. Nice to meet you. “ He said, taking the smaller boys hand and a wave strange familiarity washed over him. 

 

"Well, Chanyeol, I’m Byun Baekhyun and its finally nice meet you too."He grinned.

 


A/n: Just a few words. This was intended to be a xiuhan fic but i guess it was far suited more to be a baekyeol fic so tadaaa~ .. This is my first time making fics like this  so lol please spare me or at least give me suggestions/tips if I made any mistakes or whatever. But anyway I strangely got emotionally while making this fic. Idefk.  I have soft spot for things like this. I had to put myself in a dogs shoe so please do forgive me i did bad. 

Hopefully I can do some other otps in the near future... but leaving baekyeol here for now. so tatataa~ <3