--

My Mistake

It’s a great day for the students, finally Friday. But Taehyung doesn’t feel the same way, because he doesn’t have as many friends as everyone else or just people to talk to for a bit. There is though, one boy who he had his eyes on for a quite a while. Jeon Jeongguk. Not only was Jeongguk popular with the girls, but he was just as popular with the guys too. It made Taehyung feel furious to see him with them and he just wanted to sit at that table, joining in on the fun. Unfortunately, he couldn’t do that because he was just a loner and everyone would most likely leave him alone at the table so he could eat by himself as usual. There was something different about Jeongguk.. that Taehyung just loved. He might’ve been popular, but he wasn’t cocky at all. If Taehyung wanted to speak to him or hang out, he actually would if he wasn’t busy with his own other friends. Still, Jeongguk felt embarrassed being around Taehyung if his friends saw because that would make him seem more of a lower class student instead of what they called “kingkas.” He didn’t want that, no matter how much he enjoyed having Taehyung by his side during their free time. Enough thinking about this Kim Taehyung, he says to himself as he stands up from his chair and leaves the room. He just wants to go home so he doesn’t have to make himself feel more pain by watching Jeongguk love spending time with others. “ crushes. All they do is break your heart, crush it. That’s exactly why they’re called what they are.” He slips his hands into his pockets, trying his best to forget about the whole situation.

On the other hand, Jeongguk is grinning wide as he slings his uniform jacket over his shoulder, his backpack hanging off the other. “I’ll catch you guys later. I have to go meet someone at the ice cream shop. See ya.” He salutes with his two fingers and his friends wave, and for some reason Jeongguk feels relieved to have been leaving instead of being with them until late. The person he was meeting was more important anyways. As he walked toward the ice cream shop, his phone buzzed and he quickly reached into his pocket to read the text message from one of his past best friends, Park Minha.

[ SMS from: Minha ] Where are you? I’m sitting here waiting patiently but I might explode if you don’t arrive in a few minutes. Hurry up Kookie!

The straight face he had after he left the school had become a smile, texting back that he’d be there soon. She was still the same girl he knew years ago. Happily walking, he reached the place and saw Minha resting her chin on her hand, elbow on the table. Poor girl looked so bored out of her mind. “Minha.” His voice made her eyes widen, oh how much she missed hearing it in person. She stared and noticed how handsome the boy had gotten, his red hair shining as he stood while the sunlight beamed right on it from outside the window. “Jeongguk.. you’ve changed so much. I missed you. You have no idea how hard it was to live somewhere else without my best friend always around.” The feelings were mutual, and he gave her such a tight hug that it sort of hurt, but she didn’t say a thing as it had been such a long time and understandable that his grasp would be this way. They pulled away and he took a seat across, placing his uniform jacket and bag down beside him and focusing all of his attention on her. “So tell me, what brought you back?” The girl put a strand of hair behind her ear, clearing . “Well, I told my appa that I missed being home. America is just too.. different. I couldn’t fit in, especially with my English not being so great..” The thought made her frown. “I missed my best friend lots. I wanted to see him again, and other people that I knew here as well.” Jeongguk let out a low chuckle, trying not to tear up because he couldn’t believe that she came back for him. “I’m guessing you’re going to the same school as me, right Minha?” “Of course. Best friends stick together.” The two high fived, and continued to speak about her plans of staying later on while eating the ice cream Jeongguk had paid for. 

"You’re home, finally!" Taehyung’s mom had exclaimed, had been worried sick. It turns out Taehyung took a stop at the park on his way home, so he was later than usual. "I don’t feel in the mood umma. I’m sorry." He made his way upstairs, where he put his backpack on the bed and crawled onto it as well, sighing deeply. "I wonder what you’re doing.. I want to be there too.." The boy plays with his fingers, grabbing his headphones from the desk beside him next to his lava lamp and plugging them into his iPod where he played music and shut his eyes. "Kim Taehyung, come down and eat dinner. Yah." His mother came upstairs, opening the door slowly to see her son asleep on his bed while her heart softened. "Or make some food when you’re hungry later.. sleep well." And quietly, she left, closing the door behind her and hoping her son would feel better.

The sky went from being a light blue when they first met after a long time, to a shade of pink with a bit of orange. It was pretty, the sunset and all, but the view was interrupted after Minha checked her watch and realized her dad wanted her home by then. He averted his gaze from the window, bowing his head and a faint smile forming upon his lips. “It was nice talking to you again, bestie. If you want to hang out tomorrow or something, remember to text me. It feels great to know you’re staying.” Minha reached over to pat Jeongguk’s head, rising from her seat as Jeongguk lead her to the door, where they then parted ways. No text from Taehyung today. It felt strange, but he shrugged it off and continued to make it home before it got too dark. 

Taehyung’s nap didn’t last as long as he expected, him staring at the clock and watching in silence as the minutes passed. “Maybe you’re home. Not thinking of me at all. Why can’t you understand my heart for you?” Little does he know, Jeongguk is in fact.. thinking of him. He wants to know what he did wrong for Taehyung to not leave a cute message through text. He wants to know why Taehyung has becoming more and more distant. He wants to know every little secret Taehyung keeps inside. It drives him crazy, how he suddenly has these feelings but feels ashamed with Taehyung next to him as his friends stare. Jeongguk had been too into a daze to realize the texts he missed. 2. From different people. 

[ SMS from: Minha ] Do you want to chill tomorrow? My appa said I’m allowed. I hope you’re free. ~

[ SMS from: Taehyung ] Jeongguk.. we need to talk. If you have time tomorrow it would be nice.

"How goddamn fantastic. I have to choose like this." He took a deep breath, sending a simple yes to Minha and an I am busy to Taehyung. Maybe the boy would understand. "I’m sorry. I can’t have any heartbreaking things happen when my best friend is here again." He shut his phone off and put it aside, hugging the pillow he hugs every night before he passes out. It works in an instant but Taehyung is tossing and turning, wanting to cry because he misses Jeongguk so much and the text message hurts him. Those three words, couldn’t they be something else someday. Maybe tomorrow he will find something to do instead of wanting Jeongguk.

                                                ——————-

— : Next morning.

"Eh.." The red-haired boy used his hand to shield himself from the blinding sun that had been hurting his eyes since the second he woke up and opened them. Enough being lazy. Grabbing his phone and going through his contacts until Minha was found, he told her to meet him at the park that Taehyung was at while they had ice cream in 20 minutes. Just because he took his time getting ready. Hopping off the bed, he got clothes ready and tossed them onto the bed before rushing to the bathroom to brush his teeth, and fix his hair. His love for makeup making him put some eyeliner as well. Then he was ready to put on his clothes which were just a simple shirt with those jeans that had rips in them and slipped on his red watch that he loved so much. There was time to go to the park and not be late, so out he went.

Taehyung woke up with his face a bit puffy. He sighed to himself and just put ice while sitting back again. “Park? Café? Stay with umma and help her with the chores?” There were not so many options, but with the hour the café seemed like the best choice. He did all that morning stuff, not caring as much as he would be alone. No need to be dressing nice if you’re just a loner. “Umma? I’m going out, I know it isn’t usual of me but I just need some fresh air. If you want me to get anything, text! Bye!” He sounded happy but he didn’t feel so joyful, really. He almost bumped into a pole because he was reading past text messages and not looking forward. You can guess which texts. Putting his phone away before he made himself more frustrated, he brought his hand up to run it through his hair. “Be happy and get some coffee. Love is gross.” He skipped to the café, his mood lifted but.. wait a minute. Is that Jeongguk!?

With that obvious red hair, bright smile like no one elses, red watch on his wrist. It definitely was who Taehyung thought it was. “Who is that.. No.. He isn’t alone, that’s a girl. It’s a date!” Jeongguk laughed at what Minha said, and she reached over to pinch his cheek. He couldn’t take it anymore. Taehyung just left, covering his mouth and feeling so pissed off he could break something. Coffee wasn’t a good idea after all. 

"What’s wrong, my dear?" Like other mornings, Taehyung’s mother had made coffee for him once he got home. "Tell me what is on your mind. I want to help." "You can’t help mom.. I have feelings for someone and I already saw them with another person. It hurts. I’m supposed to be happy for them and just-" She placed creamer on the table, looking down before taking his hand. "And who is this?" Should he really say his name? His mom was very accepting, so him liking a boy shouldn’t be a big deal.. "Jeongguk. My classmate, umma." As he thought, she just pursed her lips but it didn’t bother her much. She is happy if he is happy and his partner is treating him well, gender not mattering. "And you saw him with a girl? You don’t know until he introduces you to her. And says it right in the open," She made a gesture as if showing another person to Taehyung. "This is my girlfriend. Think positive for now. You can still have a chance." 

                                                ——————-

This weekend . So much. And before he knows it, it is already Monday and he’s sitting in class next to Jeongguk. “Hey, can I borrow a pencil? I’ll return it.” “No.” What is this even. Jeongguk can’t believe the word that had just escaped from Taehyung’s mouth. “Over a pencil? What’s with you? Tch.” Minha wasn’t in this class so Taehyung still couldn’t meet her. It didn’t take long for Jeongguk to easily get another pencil from someone else anyways, and he kept glancing at Taehyung. He’s so curious on why he’s pissy. It just isn’t him. Where is the happy Taehyung, please bring him back.

Bell rings, signaling it is lunch time. Jeongguk leaves fast, so fast Taehyung couldn’t keep up with him so he just went straight to the lunch room and sat. Alone. Lunch time is usually the best time in a school day besides getting out, yet he’s lonely.. and sad. It’s that girl again. The boy with the hair a tone like caramel isn’t afraid to admit, she is pretty and the two wouldn’t seem so bad together. But he had a crush on him first and it isn’t fair for Jeongguk to be with her just like that. He avoids eye contact with his crush, finishing his food and getting ready to leave before his arm gets grabbed. Who the hell would want his attention in the first place.

"Taehyung." Jeongguk’s voice sends a chill down his spine, because it sounds so stern. "Get away from me." He tries to escape Jeongguk’s grip, but he can’t, no matter how hard he tries. "Look at me, Taehyung. I have someone I want to introduce you to." That sentence makes Taehyung want to break down right there, but he gets held steady and Minha stands, confused of what is going on between the two. "Is this your girlfriend?" He says, pointing a finger at her while trying to be as calm as possible. The two best friends look at each other, eyes widened. "She’s just my best friend, how could you think that way when she just got here?!" Jeongguk facepalms. A simple introduction became so bad only because Taehyung’s jealousy took over. "I’m a friend of Kookie’s, from years ago. His best friend. I just moved back from America, and.. I was told he enjoys spending time with you because you are one of his good friends that he has had since I was gone." That is all Taehyung had to hear, to feel his chest become a lot lighter. The stupid weight being the worry that his crush was taken. "I’m sorry, Minha. I want to be your friend too now." The older girl smiled, shaking his hand. "Friends, easy as that. We should get to class now. It was a pleasure meeting you." All of this made Jeongguk so.. happy. His favorite two now know each other. And he finally knows why Taehyung was so defensive sounding and distant the past few days. It’s not as stressful, and now they can go on to class without worrying.

                                                ——————-

It’s been a few moments after school ended, and Taehyung has Minha on one of the steps, telling her everything because he knows how well she knows Jeongguk. It was true, since he did tell her everything and about Taehyung. “I hate to make you listen, but I have feelings for your best friend. I’ve had them for a while, and it’s killing me.” She nods, not judgemental. Of course people would fall for Jeongguk’s charms, but.. she thinks that this one boy is a good partner for him. He cares for him a lot, to get so mad because of thinking she was his girlfriend. In a short period of time, because the boy could really talk a lot, she learned about when he first saw her at the café.. and the past days he spent wanting to cry and hit things because he thought he would never have a chance with a kingka. “Tae, I’ll speak to him. I actually planned to catch him today so we could hang out, but I might just leave it to you two.” She gave that cheeky grin that made him feel reassured. “And now that we are friends, you should have my number too so that you know what happens with Kookie.” They exchanged numbers, and off she went to find Jeongguk and tell him everything the boy had kept inside for so long as if it was locked away with her finding the key.

"Pabo Kookie!" She ran, wrapping her arms around her best friend. "Park, park." She purposely picked that spot again knowing it was Taehyung’s favorite from their past conversation. He followed her, knowing it was urgent and she pulled him down on the bench. "Listen. Someone has feelings for you." He stared, and for a second he thought it was her. "No, not me. Your other.. best friend, or whatever you’d like to think of him as." It made him gulp. Was he seriously this stupid to not see that the other had feelings for him this whole time? "T-Taehyung?" It’s been a while since he has stuttered. But the answer was yes. She told him everything Taehyung wanted her to say, because he was too scared to tell him himself. She pretended like she got a text, telling her to leave the park and be home.. but she really just planned to set the two up so that they could be in this one spot together. 

[ SMS to: Taehyung ] Pst, come to the park. Have fun you two. ㅋㅋㅋ.

Reading the text, he laughed and his mom next to him was smiling. He’s happy. “I have to go, I might be home late though.” “Just have fun with Jeongguk. Be safe.” She knew who it was about, because only talk about Jeongguk would make him the way he was. 

"Listen, I have to be home because my appa asked for me." Jeongguk frowned because she was leaving after telling him the big secret, but he was happy to finally hear it. "Make it home safe, twerp. I’ll talk to you later." She proceeded with her leaving, a small "yes!" being released from between her lips because she was of good use for once. Her best friend had began to text Taehyung, a long text, full of all the words he had been waiting to say. If he knew where he was, he would tell him in person. He started to shake, nervous as he pressed send. Taehyung was actually behind him, waiting for him to before placing himself next to Jeongguk on the bench with a soft smile.

His heart races, Jeongguk’s hand grabbing his as he intertwines their fingers. It’s that look on Jeongguk’s face that makes him feel butterflies in his stomach. It makes him feel at home. “I’m surprised you know, that you felt that way..” Jeongguk manages to say despite his cheeks already turning a tint of red. He inches closer, finishing his sentence. “Because I feel the same way too.” And soon, the gap was closed as their lips met in a kiss that was so full of pleasure, with Taehyung always having to imagine it in his head. It’s like he was dreaming, because Jeongguk’s lips are so soft and so sweet, that he could kiss him forever. All that time chasing, and he has finally gotten what he has wanted so bad. Taehyung moves his lips slowly with Jeongguk’s in a fairly paced rhythm before they peel away from each other. A kiss is placed on Taehyung’s cheek before the other rests his forehead on his. “I love you.” Jeongguk says, and Taehyung remembers the day he wanted the words I am busy to be I love you instead. It happened. He did it. His mother was right about everything she said to him on that day, and it felt so great. They spent the night still at the park, holding hands and watching the stars, the caramel-color haired boy resting his head on Jeongguk’s chest. A happy ending that he would have never expected. “I still am sorry for ever thinking you were dating Minha. You’re mine now and uh. My mistake.” Jeongguk laughed, pecking Taehyung’s lips another time.