Maybe Tomorrow

Yadong - short drabbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dongwoo had the most fascinating dreams.  Each day, at lunchtime, Howon would bring him his food and wake him up from his nap.  Then Dongwoo would always ask, “Howon, guess what I saw today!” 

And Howon could never guess Dongwoo’s dreams, of course.  No one could ever see the world from Dongwoo’s eyes, and so Howon would settle down next to Dongwoo, listening to him tell his tale.  This one went along something like this:

 

“I was at this really weird temple.  It was more of a huge mansion than a temple, except that there was only one huge room and the rest was just tiles.  All around, the entire gate, just tiled floor and then that huge room in the center.  A man with thick cherry lips was at the door, and he wouldn’t let me in without taking off my shoes and putting something on my head.  He said I had to cover my head, so the spirit voices would stay out, you see.  I didn’t have a hat or anything to put on, so he let me borrow this white cloth, he was really nice by the way, but he spoke in a really strange manner.  Do I speak strangely Howon?”

And Howon would just chuckle, Dongwoo forgetting he ever asked.

 

“There were carpets covering all the walls; not the ceiling, just the walls and the floor.  But it wasn’t just like the carpets you’d see in a house Howon.  No, these were the most beautiful carpets I’ve ever seen!” And he would jump slightly, his eyes sparkling like tiny stars shimmering.

“What were they like?” Howon hums along, kneeling down in front of the tale teller sitting on the floor.

“They were like portraits—I saw one of a man mounting a white horse, pinning down this serpent-looking monster with a red javelin.  And this other one was a woman, but she was stuck in the ground.  Anyways, I watched what the people inside were doing, and they were walking around this stone tomb, kissing the stone as they circled around it.  I couldn’t understand what they were saying of course, but they kept whispering things.  The lady in the carpet must’ve guessed I didn’t know what to do, so she was kind enough to explain it to me, and it makes sense Howon.  They make their wishes there!  She told me to take a candle from the cherry-lipped man, and walk around the tomb once while asking for my wish.”

“What did you wish for then?”

Dongwoo stopped for a moment, his brows knitting together in concentration as he tried to think.

“I can’t seem to remember that part…” 

Howon gives him that comforting smile, urging him to go on anyways.

“After that, I had to take the candle to a cave at the top of the m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter