chapter one

Forget Me Not

 

Naeun bit her lip as her eyes darted to the left, her chocolate orbs following a certain teenage boy with shaggy black hair as he laughed with his friends and sat in his seat.

 

“Earth to Naeun,” Eunji teased, bumping her friend’s elbow, “Helloooo?” 

 

“Mm?” Naeun blushed as she glanced back at the older girl, “Neh?” 

 

“So obvious,” Eunji chided playfully, “Why don’t you just admit you have a crush on him?”

 

“What?!” Naeun was flustered, hiding her red cheeks behind her long, curled hair. “Unnie, I don’t. Class is starting now.” She opened her book and looked at the page, trying with all her might to concentrate on the words and not on his cute smile. 

 

“Sure…” Eunji grinned as she caught the boy in question turn around and look back at them. Just like he doesn’t have a crush on you too. 

 

“Good afternoon,” the teacher bellowed as he stepped into class, his voice surprisingly tenor for someone so slim. 

 

The students bowed to the teacher, waiting until he made his way to the front of the room before sitting down. “Today, we’ll be starting our final project. As you’ve been seeing, we’ve experimented with many types of materials over the course of this term. For your last project, you will be teamed up with another member of the class and present a mini exhibition at the end of the year.” He pulled out a sheet, “I will call out your names, please move to sit next to your partner after all the names are called.”

 

“Who do you think you’ll be paired with?” Eunji whispered under her breath, her brown eyes twinkling as she imagined her partner. 

 

“I don’t know,” Naeun returned quietly, waiting as the teacher called names. 

 

“Son Naeun.” The teacher’s twinkly eyes met the young girl’s, “And Lee Taemin. That is all, please move to sit next to your partners.” 

 

Naeun’s breath hitched as Eunji smiled and pinched the younger girl’s arm, “Omo.”

 

“Good luck,” Eunji squealed as she pushed her out of her seat and towards the dark haired boy.

 

“Um,” Naeun tried to swallow her nerves as she hesitated to sit down. “Annyeong,” she bowed slightly as their eyes met. She crossed her legs when she sat, quickly averting her gaze from his. She instead concentrated on the pearl buttons of his shirt. 

 

“Annyeong,” he smiled brightly as he politely held out his hand. “I don’t think we’ve met officially. You’re new this year, aren’t you? I’m Lee Taemin.” 

 

“Son Naeun,” her hand was shaky as they briefly touched. 

 

“Son Naeun,” he repeated with a grin, “Nice to meet you.” 

 

“Mmm.” She blushed as their eyes met, “Neh.” 

 

He chuckled, amused by her shy demeanour. “So…” He scratched his head as he looked awkwardly to the front of the classroom, “You… like art?” 

 

She giggled, “Neh.” 

 

“Cool. Me too.” 

 

They were silent, their eyes darting to the side as they stole glances. Naeun fidgeted with her hands, “Um…” she started, “So… our project?”

 

“Right.” He pulled on his tie, “A mini exhibition.” He tapped his fingers on his desk, “What inspires you? Nature? Life? Love?” 

 

“Love,” Naeun repeated softly, her eyes dreamy.

 

He smiled as he caught her gaze, “Love? We could do something like… famous couples? Or unrequited love? Or…”

 

“First love?” Naeun interjected, “Like Romeo & Juliette,” she clapped her hands, excited. “It can be both tragic and romantic.” 

 

“Interesting…” he mumbled as he pulled his notebook and jotted down the idea, “I think this will work out well, Son Naeun.” 

 

“Uh… neh,” she giggled out of embarrassment, “Lee Taemin.”

 


 

Four weeks later, Naeun yawned as she pulled her hand back from the easel, taking one last look at the painting. It was late at night and they had stayed in the art room to finish-up their project. 

 

“You know,” Taemin noted as he moved up from his seat, “He kind of looks like me.” He teased Naeun, taking in her piece. “Look at the nose, same as mine.” He tapped his, “Eyes, same. Even the chin.” 

 

“Ani!” She playfully slapped his hand away. 

 

“Ouch!” He grinned, “You’re so strong for someone who looks so fragile. Anyways, I need your help.” He took her hand, ignoring the fluttering in his stomach as he led her to the mirror. “I’m working on the piece where they say their last goodbye.” 

 

“Neh.” Naeun blushed as she spotted their interlocked fingers through the mirror.

 

“I don’t know what it looks like. Saying goodbye to someone you love.” He murmured, unconsciously rubbing his thumb over her smooth hand.

 

“Oh.” 

 

He laughed at her expression, “You don’t know what I’m trying to get you to do, don’t you?”

 

“Huh?” 

 

“Here.” He pulled her hand so she faced him, “Put your arms around my shoulders like you’re hugging me.” 

 

“Ah-oh…” She turned red as she awkwardly placed her hands on his shoulders, her arms stiff. 

 

He laughed, “No,” he placed one arm around her small waist, his hand resting on the small of her back. His other hand touched her arm, “Relax.” He told her, “I don’t bite.” 

 

“Neh.” She felt her nerves on fire as she stepped closer, her breath hitching as she slid her hands further around his shoulders, leaving only a few inches between them. 

 

“You know, Naeun-ah?” 

 

“Oh?” 

 

“You’re really beautiful. I’ve had a crush on you, ever since you walked into class on the first day of school.” 

 

“Really?” She blushed as she looked deeply into his brown eyes. “I…” She bit her lip, Eunji’s voice echoing in the back of her mind. Be brave. To love is to have courage. “I… I had a crush on you too.”

 

“Really?” He grinned, “That’s good. So… I guess you wouldn’t mind so much then,” he murmured as he lowered his face, their lips centimetres apart, “If I did this?” He gently placed a kiss on her perfect, cherry red lips.

 

She smiled at the touch, “ Oppa.” She teased, tucking her long hair behind her ear. She knew him now. The way he laughed, the way he smiled. The way he blinked when he lied. “You planned this, didn’t you?” 

 

“Yeah,” he laughed, resting her forehead against hers, “It worked though, didn’t it?” 

 

“Neh,” she hummed as he stepped forward, their chests touching, her head resting against his collarbone. 

 

“So.., Son Naeun, will you be my girlfriend?” 

 

“Ani.” 

 

“Eh!” He groaned, “You mean all of this, persuading our teacher to let us be partners, inviting you over to work on our project when all we would do is eat, talk, and laugh, buying you flowers for your birthday, and….” 

 

She pulled on his tie and silenced him with another quick peck. “Pabo Lee Taemin,” she murmured, “I’ll be your girlfriend.” 

 


 

Naeun smiled as she greeted the doorman as she entered the luxurious high-rise. 

 

“Good morning Ms. Son.” 

 

“Good morning Mr. Kwon.”

 

“Meeting young master Lee?” 

 

Naeun giggled at his title, “Neh. It’s our three-hundredth day.” 

 

“Ah! Congratulations to the both of you.” He walked her to the elevator and pressed the button to Taemin’s home, “Here’s to another three million.” 

 

Naeun smiled, “Thank you.” 

 

“Of course, have a good day.” 

 

“Thank you,” Naeun bowed as the doors to the elevator closed. She hummed as she held the wrapped box to her chest.

 

“The Lee Household.” The elevator announced as the lift arrived at the top floor. 

 

The Lee Household,” Naeun imitated the robotic voice as she stepped out and skipped towards the large, mahogany double doors. She rang the bell, looking into the small camera.

 

“Hello?” The feminine voice called out from the speakers.

 

“Hello,” she bowed her head in greeting. “It’s Naeun.” 

 

The voice sighed, “You?” 

 

Naeun bit her lip, knowing exactly who was on the end of the line. His mother, she mused, trying her best to keep her smile on her face. “Neh. Hello,” she bowed low, “Mrs. Lee.” She hates me, she knew, by the glares and little insults the older woman threw at her every time they spoke. 

 

“Come in then.” 

 

“Thank you,” Naeun entered the large apartment, carefully placing her shoes in the cupboard by the doors. 

 

“He’s in his room.” Mrs. Lee told her as she met the young girl at the entrance, her arms crossed as her eyes moved over her outfit. “Who bought you that necklace?” 

 

“Huh?” Naeun touched the small white-gold cross that hung on the platinum chain, “Oh, Taemin-oppa.” 

 

Mrs. Lee rolled her eyes, “Of course he did. Wasting his money on his silly little girlfriend,” she tsked, “Go before I change my mind.” 

 

Naeun’s smile wavered, “Neh. Thank you.” She shivered, feeling the woman’s cold eyes following her as she quickly walked up the stairs. 

 

“Oppa?” She called his name as she opened his door, finding her boyfriend hunched over his desk, typing out an essay. He had headphones in, his expression dark as he crumpled a paper and threw it on the desk in exasperation. 

 

“Oppa?” She tried again, gently tapping his shoulder. 

 

“What?” He jumped, pulling off his headphones, “Naeun-ah. Shoot, is it already past one?” 

 

“Neh.” She smiled as she pushed his shaggy hair behind his ears, “Happy three hundred days my silly cucumber.” 

 

He grinned, wrapping his arms around her waist as he pulled her down for a kiss. “Happy three-hundred days my silly sea anemone,” he returned as he stole one more kiss. He stretched his arms as he stood up, “Naeun-ah, why do you look so beautiful today?”

 

“Oppa,” she giggled as she shook her head, spotting the university brochures on the desk. “You should know by now that I’m always beautiful.” She flipped her hair playfully behind her. 

 

He snorted, saving his file on his laptop. 

 

“Is this Harvard?” She asked him as she picked up a pamphlet for the famed business school. “That’s in America,” she murmured, a frown marring her bright expression. 

 

He sighed, “My mom wants me to go. I’m applying just to make her happy. Don’t worry,” he grinned, kissing the top of her head as he moved to his closet. “I’m going to Seoul University with you.” 

 

“Ehh,” she joked as she sat on his bed, watching him pull on an expensive white sweater overtop his grey t-shirt. “Who says you’re even going to get in?” 

 

“Oh-ho,” he growled as he moved to his bed, pushing her so her splayed on top of his king-sized bed, “We can’t all be geniuses and skip grades.” 

 

“Oppa,” she squealed as he attacked her cheeks and neck with kisses, “Don’t worry, you’ll get in. My pabo is the second smartest student in our year, after me, of course.” 

 

He laughed as he laid next to her, “Here.” He pulled out a small white box from his night-table. “Your first gift.” 

 

“First?” She asked, smiling as she lifted the box. “Oh, oppa,” she spoke softly, touching the white-gold ring with a black diamond in the centre. “You didn’t have to get something like this for me.” 

 

“Eh,” he shrugged as he moved up, “If it’s for my Naeunnie, then it’s nothing.”

 

“I…” she was speechless, “This is too much. Really, my present is nothing compared to this.” 

 

He shook his head, “I’m sure it’s not.” He took the box she gave him, “I’ll love it.” 

 

“I…” she played with the ring, “I really hope you do.” She murmured sincerely. The present had taken her two weeks to complete, spending fourteen nights at her kitchen table to finish it by today. 

 

Taemin quickly pulled off the wrapping paper, finding a photo album bounded by black leather. “What’s this?” He asked as he opened to the first page, which was of their art exhibition during their second year of high-school. “Our first week.” He quickly flipped through the rest of the pages, the album portraying their love story over the past 300 days. “I love it!” He kissed the finger which she had placed the ring, “Thank you, Naeun-ah.” 

 

“I… I’m glad.” She murmured as she wiped tears from her eyes. 

 

“Wae?” He touched her hands, “Why are you crying? I hate it when you cry.” 

 

“It’s just,” she sniffed, “You always spoil me with such pretty things. And I can’t. All I can give you are things like this.” No wonder his mother hates me, she probably thinks I’m a gold-digger. 

 

Taemin sighed, “Pabo Son Naeun.” He pulled her close, “I buy you pretty things because I love seeing that look on your face when you open them. And it's not just expensive jewellery. You get that same look when I give you flowers. Or when I make you cake and fail.” He laughed, gently caressing her rose-tainted cheeks. “I buy you jewellery, because I want everyone else to know that this beautiful girl right here, with a pure heart and soul, is mine.” 

 

She smiled at his words, letting him wipe her tears with his thumbs. He always knows what to say. “I’ll buy you so many pretty things when I become a famous architect.” She promised him. 

 

“I look forward to it,” he joked, kissing her cheek, “I love you, Son Naeun.” 

 

She looked deeply into his gaze, interlocking her fingers through his. “I love you too, Lee Taemin.”

 

 


 

Three months later Naeun arrived at the restaurant where Taemin’s mother had requested she come to meet her. Nervously, she pulled on the ends of her white skirt as she stood in front of the french doors that led to the rooftop garden patio. 

 

“This way,” the waiter bowed his head, “Ms. Son.” 

 

“Neh,” Naeun bowed her head, “Thank you.” She trembled as she spotted Taemin’s mother sitting at the table, her hands folded over her knees, her gaze cold. She wore a black Chanel frock, her feet encased in black heels. Oh gosh, she thought as she briefly closed her eyes, how her thirty dollar skirt paled in comparison. 

 

“Eo meonim,” Naeun plucked up her courage and greeted the older woman as she bowed low. 

 

The woman’s voice was clipped, “Sit.” 

 

“Neh,” Naeun nervously sat down, hyper-aware of everything. Be perfect, she told herself, graceful. Like a lady. She crossed her legs and smoothed out her skirt to ensure there were no wrinkles. 

 

Taemin’s mother shifted in her seat to face her. “Let’s just go straight to the point, shall we?” 

 

“I… neh.” She held her breath, awaiting her lecture. 

 

Her cold black gaze moved over the younger girl. “I’m sure you know by now, that Taemin has been accepted to Harvard’s School of Business.” 

 

Naeun nodded, goosebumps appearing on her arms. 

 

“He told me that he’s declining the acceptance to attend Seoul University in the fall. And do you know why he’s turning the down the most prestigious university in the world?” She sighed, “For you.” She scrunched her nose in distaste, “A stupid, pathetic, worthless girl.” 

 

Naeun averted her gaze to the floor at the words, her chest tight as she struggled to stop her tears from falling. 

 

“If you truly love my son, then let him go. You are holding him back from achieving greatness. His father attended that school, and so should he if he intends on succeeding in taking over Lee Industries.” 

 

“Eo meonim,” Naeun closed her eyes, her voice breaking, “Please…” 

 

“Please what?” She snarled, slapping her hand on the table. “I tolerated this pathetic relationship for long enough. You are a nothing more than a pretty distraction. Once he attends university he’ll realize all the time he’s wasted on you and he’ll find a true partner. Someone with social standing, manners, and grace. Someone worthy of being my daughter-in-law.”  She fanned her face, trying to control her anger.  

 

Naeun was silent, the words cutting through her heart like knives. 

 

“So once again, do you love my son?”

 

Naeun felt like it was hard to breath. “Yes,” she managed between tears. 

 

“Then let him go. Stop holding him back.” Her tone was threatening as she rose from the table, her tall, elegant frame utterly intimidating. “You’ve been a burden for far too long.”

 

Naeun clenched her fists together as she stood up and bowed, standing up once Taemin’s mother left the room. She then fell to her knees, her body weak, her tears falling down her porcelain cheeks. 

 

Let him go? She wondered, her first love? Her heart felt like it was breaking, the pain almost unbearable. I’m so sorry, oppa. For being your burden. 

 

She had wondered, all this time, why he continued to date her. She had no idea he was the heir to the Lee fortune when they first started dating. Him, the handsome heir, and her, the scholarship student to the prestigious private school. The daughter to a hard-working single mother. 

 

A nobody. 

 

She wiped her eyes with the back of her hands as she moved up onto her feet, taking the gold ring off of her finger. “Because I love you,” she whispered, her soft voice shaking, “I can let you go.”

 

Even if all I want to do is hold you close. Even if it will break my heart, my soul to do so. 

 

Saranghae.

 


 

thank you for reading,

 

xoxo

 

paizley