The Reunion

The Reunion

A/N: I apologise in advance if it isn't good as I'm still not good at expressing. Also, I kinda got confused with the first person's POV and thir person's POV so there might be a little problem. Hope it's still understandable! Drop me a comment kay? Enjoy!

Third Person POV:

Mi Rae and Hankyung were a blissful couple until the day Hankyung left without notice. He just left; leaving Mi Rae alone to fend for herself. Everything changed completely afterwards; their relationship, Mi Rae, Hankyung...

 

Back then, Mi Rae was working as a hairstylist at SM Entertainment. This was before Hankyung debuted. The girl from Singapore had left her home country for foreign land Korea to pursue hairstyling and make up art. Applying to her current company was a random thing. She had chanced upon the recruitment notice when browsing the newspapers one day and decided to try her luck. She never hoped to get employed since SM Entertainment was known for being extremely picky with their employees and she was merely an undergraduate with no outstanding accolades nor prior working experience. It was just a girl trying out for her dream company.

 

Soon after Mi Rae joined the company, SuperJunior05 debuted and she was transferred to become their hairstylist and a part time translator for a Chinese member called Hankyung. Before they met, Mi Rae was still skeptical about how their relationship will be like. However, her worries proved to be unnecessary. Being both Chinese, Mi Rae and Hankyung hit off easily and both were glad to be able to have someone to converse with in their native tongue. As Mi Rae was cute and friendly, she was well-liked by the members of SuperJunior05 and they took great care of this foreigner. She was as though a younger sister to them just like how Hankyung is their brother. With the addition of Kyuhyun and the release of their second album, SuperJunior05 was officially renamed Super Junior and now a permanent group. Then the release of their third album, Sorry Sorry, came and their popularity skyrocketed. Within months, every other person on the streets became familiar with their songs and knew about them. Through this while, Mi Rae and Hankyung had gotten closer and were now a couple.

 

Just as everything was progressing smoothly, Hankyung left. He left. Without notice, he merely disappeared from Korea and the next day it was reported in the news that he was filing a lawsuit against SM Entertainment for mistreatment and abuse. Thereafter, news of him debuting as a Chinese artiste in China with his original name Han Geng appeared.

Mi Rae's POV:
He left. He just left with saying goodbye to me. His promise to be with me till the end of the world was a lie. A blatant lie. The friend I had given all my trust to. The man I love with all my heart and soul. That very person had left. For the so called better prospects. Knowing our relationship, the Super Junior members tried to keep me as they also cope with the loss of a dear member, a close brother. Throughout these three years or so, we all have worked well together and were more like friends than mere working partners. As compared to the other makeup artists and stylists, the members were closer to me mostly due the smaller . After much persuasion, I decided to stay on and not let the matters of a heartless soul affect the members of Super Junior and my future.

 

I tried to not think about Hankyung but day by day, working in the same environment and the same people, it was hard to not get reminded of that lost lover of mine. Every day, I would mask my feelings and go to work cheerfully only to return home in devastation. Every night, I went to sleep in tears. It was taking a toll on me. Yet, I had no choice to bear with it, for the caring members, for my future. They had taken great care of me, treating me like a sister of their own. Heechul especially tried to make me feel cared for and not lonely. I had to stay to help them and not leave them and hurt them even more just when they had begun to prosper and dealt with a loss. Yet, I was breaking apart day by day. After much consideration, I decided to leave Korea for good. I decided to pursue for my own happiness even if it breaks the hearts of the close friends I have made throughout the time I had been here. It felt as though that I would perish sooner or later if I were to continue to be immersed in this working environment that had affected me greatly. It was time I place myself before others. All this while, I had been enduring the poor treatment and low wages for the sake of the members and my lover. It's now time to look beyond that and take care of myself.

 

I tendered my resignation letter and bid farewell to the members. They begged me to stay, using all ways and means but failed. I was determined and no one could change my mind. On the same day itself, I packed my stuff and left to return to Singapore. While I suffered in Korea alone, Han Geng prospered in China. He was rising to stardom within a month of debut as a Chinese singer. His popularity grew big time.

 

Few years later, I am now a magazine journalist instead. Still single though. Despite the hurt, I can't quite seem to forget about him. After returning home, I had buried myself in sorrow for a month or so - cooping myself up all alone at home. Luckily, I was staying in my own apartment so no one saw my despondent state. Or not so lucky rather. Every day, I woke up, cried and went back to sleep. Eating only when I felt like and I shrank crazily within a month. No one knew of my return so there was obviously no one to take care of me and knock some sense into me either. It was only until my brother came to clean up apartment one day then he found me. And I got a huge scolding from him. Haha. We two were never close since young due to the vast difference in character but he often looked out for me. He is an introvert that doesn't know how to express his feelings, making it hard for me to approach him either.

 

Upon seeing me, he hugged me for the first time. It was an awkward one. But for the first time after so long, I felt a sense of security, a sense of assurance. Something I much needed all these while. Without any words, he let go of me and went to cook dinner. If not for him, I wouldn't have even realised it was in fact dinner time. A pity that he could only cook instant noodles as that was the only thing left edible at home.

 

"米瑞啊, 为什么回来了都没跟哥说?难道你不知道我会担心吗? 你知道我看到你有多心痛吗?" ("Mi Rae ah, why didn't you tell me that you are back? Don't you know that I am worried? Do you know how heart wrenching it was to see you cry?" your brother exclaimed.)

 

"Sorry," I muttered with my head down, feeling guilty. It was indeed wrong of me to not inform my family that I have returned but I didn't want them to worry either. I wanted to show them that I have become stronger after staying abroad for these past few years. Obviously not in the mess I am in right now.

 

"I don't care what happened but I don't want to see you in this state tomorrow morning. And I'm staying here tonight," my brother ordered.

 

I could only nod at this demanding brother of mine. Although I hated being told what to do, I felt relieved that my brother had grown up and became more responsible while I was away.

 

About three months after my return, I went to work at a magazine company as a journalist.

 

Now, three and a half years after my breakup with Hankyung, I am at the press conference of his concert. I was assigned to cover this event along with a colleague. Prior to the event, Han Geng and I met by coincidence. He was cold. Both of our eyes met but the expressions were blank as though we were strangers. In the eyes of others, we were. Nobody was supposed to know about our past either. The press conference went on smoothly. He was as charming as ever with his mesmerising looks and yet humble personality. Throughout the press conference, I was in a daze and often making mistakes; not my usual quick-witted self. My co-partner noticed my unusual behaviour but I merely brushed it off as fatigue. I claimed that I had stayed up to watch the world cup and tried to show off about how exciting it was and a show not to be missed. It was blatantly a lie as everyone knew how much a 'fan' of soccer I am. Luckily, my colleague did not query further. The press conference ended well and my partner left for another coverage. I was about to get into my car and leave when someone grabbed my wrist and turned me around forcefully. It was him. It was good that my partner had left so we two were alone in the basement car park. It was after all still a public place so what the hell is he doing here, I thought.

 

"Mi Rae, can we talk?" He asked.

 

"Sorry, I've to go." I replied nonchalantly and turned towards my car without waiting for his reply.

 

"Mi Rae, please. Let me explain." Han Geng pleaded while tugging at my arm.

 

I didn't want to think about the past anymore but he appeared. He approached me. Day by day, I have been trying my best to forget him and it seems almost done but then 'bam' he appears right before me trying to explain, trying to make up for his mistake.  The sudden burst of emotions within me exploded like a bomb. All that I had been suppressing all this while tore down the steel walls I have erected around my fragile heart. Everything was let loose.

 

"What's there to explain? Explain how happy you were that you were finally able to leave me for good? To leave me all by myself in a wreck of mess? You are happy, aren't you? I screamed at him.

 

Han Geng's POV:

There was no reply. No expression on my face. I stood there and did nothing. It was a fact that I had brought you mounts and heaps of pain. But to myself too. Tears welled up in my eyes but they dare not fall. They shouldn't. I wasn't supposed to be weak. Not in front of you. I should be gloating at how much of a wreck you are right now, at how successful I was at inflicting pain on you. But seeing you in pain hurts me even more. The heart wrenching feeling. The bitterness swirling around my taste buds. I was hurting like mad but I cannot show. I shouldn't.

 

"I'm sorry, I really am..." my words trailed off to a mere whisper.

 

"Yeah right," you snorted.

 

Mi Rae's POV:

There was no answer, only a tight hug around the waist from the back. I struggled to break free but obviously failed. My small petite frame versus his huge muscular biceps. I was of course no match. Standing there like a wooden block, I had no choice but to be embraced in his warmth. The warmth Imiss a lot. He smelled the same, still using the cologne I loved a lot.

 

"Mi Rae, trust me. I had no choice back then. For my future, I had to leave. But I can't bear to see you suffer that's why I didn't tell you about my departure. That our days together are numbered. I knew that the company wouldn't let us remain in contact, just like how they stopped the members..." he explained. A tear finally trickled down his cheeks after much struggle.

 

"I know it has been tough on you but I expected you to move one. Or rather, I hoped for it. It would be better for you. I entrusted you to Heechul knowing that he would be able to give you everything in the world, that I no longer can. I wanted you to be happy and forget all about me...but the hurt I see in your eyes kills me... I was wrong. Sorry, Mi Rae. Sorry." He continued.

 

With that, he let loose of you. He let you go. By then, I was already a mess. Streams of tears flowing down my rosy cheeks endlessly. I turned around to face him. I tried to speak but the words were trapped within my throat. All that he said, I knew it. Yet I still let my feelings take over. Yet, I hated him for leaving despite knowing very well the reason behind it.

 

He raised his hand to my cheeks and wiped off my tears. "Please don't cry. I'm not worthy of it." he remarked. His thumb lingered on your cheeks for a little while. As soon as his words reached my ears, he turned and left before I could even respond.

 

I grabbed on to his wrist, turned him around, and smacked my lips on his. Those lips I have missed and pondered about every now and then. Now they are connected to mine. The kiss was a longing one, full of passion and love. My hands were around his neck, fingers occasionally trying to twirl his stiff locks of hair, while his were around my waist, hugging me tightly and leaving no space between us. He broke the kiss but his forehead was resting on mine, hands still tightly around my waist as though he was afraid I would run away.

 

"I'm sorry," he apologised again before pecking my lips lightly. Another tear rolled down his cheeks.

 

I shook my head a little before nestling my head on his chest to get a little more warmth. He pecked the tip of my head and apologised again. I couldn't see the tears rolling but his sniffles were a testimony to his crying.

 

"Don't cry, you know I hate it." I chided.

 

I turned around and detached myself from his embrace. Taking a last look at him, I asked coldly, "Don't you have to leave?"

 

Trying to mask my bursting emotions, I turned and went into the car immediately. Before the car took off, he went round and came in too. Damn, I thought.

 

"Can we just go to the beach and spend some time together? At least have a last date maybe? I won't ask you to return..." he asked but the last bit was kind of a murmur.

 

The ride to the beach was a silent one. An awkward atmosphere lurking around. He tried to keep up a conversation but my answers were short. I didn't know how to respond. I thought he had completely been deleted from my life but here he is by my side, in my car. It was obvious both of us still had feelings for the other but the breakup, the hurt caused, it is just impossible to return to those past times and act like nothing had happened. At least, I don't think I will be able to do so.

 

Luckily the ride was a rather short one. I had brought him to East Coast Park since it was the closest one. We walked along the shoreline, without a destination in mind. Throughout the journey, he was giving me updates of his life and how he has been since the day he left. Actually, I knew all of this. Much as I hated myself for it, I had been keeping myself up to date with his progress. He wanted to hold my hand but I declined. I wanted it. I longed for his touch, to go back to how it was like before. But it was impossible. We won't be a couple anymore. Impossible. I didn't want myself to be even more sentimentally attached after this. I wanted to end this for good. To end this hurt and sorrow. Approaching a breakwater, we went to sit by the edge of it, facing the sea.

 

Sitting down beside me, he asked, "Can I have one last request? Please..."

Since it was our last time together, I agreed. He put his arm around my waist and lied on my lap. I wrapped my arm around his waist also. It was weird to feel this familiar warmth again. No words were spoken. No sound. Nothing. Then, I felt a tear drop on my lap. Han Geng was tearing again, constantly mumbling the word 'Sorry'. This tugged at my heartstrings. Knowing how much he has been hurting all this while hurts me even more. He may have brought me the happiness moments when times were hard but he was also the very one that plunged me deep down into the valley of sorrow. Hearing his countless apologies, all I could do was shake my head although he couldn't see.

 

We reunited but were separated again. On a happier note at least. At least there was a proper closure to this relationship. I could only say I met the right guy but at the wrong time. Han Geng, forever my love.