Journey Through The Years

The best present ever

Journey Through The Years

"Hey^^ May I ask why you added me? I don't mean to be rude or anything, just curious"

"Hi, I've sent you a friends request because... I rarely see someone who likes the same group as I do, so I thought it would be nice if we could be friends :)"

"Oh, I see^^ Sure, we can be friends. Would you mind to introduce yourself?"

"Oh sure. The name's Yujin. Kyun Yujin. I'm from South Korea. What about you?"

"You're South Korean? Me too but I currently live in the US :D My name is Won Chaeyoung^^ Nice to meet you, Yujin"

Those were the few words that have begun everthing, that have started a journey for two girls which is to be continued for a long time...


Chaeyoung was a (pretty much) normal girl with all the common issues that girls at her age had. She didn't live in her country - South Korea - but in the US and she wasn't really good in Korean either. She hadn't have many friends because they thought she was a strange girl - and her liking toward Asian culture didn't really enhance her chance to get new friends either.

She also liked to listen to Kpop. Her favorite groups? EXO, Infinite, Teen Top and some more. Another hobby of hers, except listening to music, was writing. God, she loved writing and reading. If you asked her what she read, she'd answer fanfiction. Just because she thinks some are really well-written, better than actual novels. Chaeyoung always read her fanfictions online.

And so it happened that she signed up for a fanfiction site and not too late after her sign-up she decided to write her own fanfiction. Even though she was still pretty bad at writing, she still did. Skill comes with practice, didn't it?

One day she logged in. One friends request, first subscriber.

First subsciber: YKimJ

Friends request: YKimJ


Yujin, a girl living in South Korea. She had trust issues, therefore not many friends either. Just a few close ones. She didn't really talk much in real life, she was a rather shy person to be with.

She liked Kpop as well; her favorite group was Super Junior. But she liked other groups, like EXO, Teen Top, BTS, etc too.

She was a passionate writer and a member of a fanfiction site. She was online every day for at least an hour before going to bed.

One day she found a newly started fanfiction about one certain group that she liked as well, beside Super Junior of course.

The story was about two siblings - twins, to be exact - that reunited after quite a long time. Yujin found it pretty good, it was a pretty good start in her opinion. Even though it was a bit short. Nevertheless she left a comment and sent the author a friends request (after stalking her profile).

Yunjin was genuinely surprised after she found out the author of the story was a fan of Teen Top. It was rare that someone liked the same group as her. It was so rare for her to see someone who liked Teen Top as well.

She was glad to see that the author of the fanfiction accepted her friends request and even sent her a message:

chaew1123: Hey^^ May I ask why you added me? I don't mean to be rude or anything, just curious

Yujin replied.

YKimJ: Hi, I've sent you a friends request because... I rarely see someone who likes the same group as I do, so I thought it would be nice if we could be friends :)

 

chaew1123: Oh, I see^^ Sure, we can be friends. Would you mind to introduce yourself?

YKimJ: Oh sure. The name's Yujin. Kyun Yujin. I'm from South Korea. What about you?

chaew1123: You're South Korean? Me too but I currently live in the US :D

My name is Chaeyoung, Won Chaeyoung^^ Nice to meet you, Yujin :)

YKimJ: In the US? Wow, I always wanted to go there. Which state do you live in?

Nice to meet you too, Chaeyoung :D You're the first Korean I know that lives abroad :o

chaew1123: Yeah^^ I live in Miami, so in Florida.

Really? ^^ I don't mean to be rude or anything, but how come you're speaking (or rather writing) English so well? Last time I checked most Asians were...you know

YKimJ: Hi, sorry for the late reply, I'm quite busy because of school ^^'

Well first of all, my brother lives in the UK and whenever he visits us he makes sure to talk English to me so that I learn it well. Besides that my teacher is from the US as well... 


The conversations went on and on like that, the messages became longer and longer each time they replied to each other.

And the two of them became best friends without seeing each other once. They just clicked with each other.

They both had the feeling that they didn't need anyone else beside their best friend who lived at the other side of the planet called Earth.

Of course they couldn't talk to each other every day because both Chaeyoung and Yujin were busy with school. While one had various projects going on, the other girl had to face her final exams for this school year and then she'd be free from school, for some time at least.

They were both so busy that they hadn't have any time to talk to each other. And the time difference didn't really help them either. It was a 13 hour difference after all.

Little, Chaeyoung despised the time difference a lot. But it got better because they've added each other on an instant messenger instead of talking through the fanfiction site.

chaew1123: Ugh I hate the time difference so much -.-

YKimJ: Me too, me too. You're not alone. By the way Chae, how have you been? We haven't talked for so long..

chaew1123: i've been pretty much okay but school's a . I'm so busy T_T

I wanna talk to you more :/ 보고싶어요ㅜ

YKimJ: I want to talk to you more as well :( I miss you a lot ;-;

chaew1123: you know what I'm gonna send you a letter for Christmas.

YKimJ: did you decide that just now?

chaew1123: Yes, now give me your address

YKimJ: no I won't

chaew1123: why not?

YKimJ: I don't want you to pay much money for me...

chaew1123: gurl i'm doing this voluntarily and it's only a letter, now give me your address lol


It started with simple text messages through the internet, then occasionally letters were sent and eventually...

 

Two years later...

(Chaeyoung's POV) I finally arrived. My homeland. This is how South Korea looks like. I've studied Korean hard just to be able to speak with my best friend Yujin (and to survive in South Korea somehow, now that I was there).

I've waited for this for so long now. Actually this was supposed to be a family trip to Gwangju to visit my grandma but my parents allowed me to take another plane and then travel to Seoul to meet my best friend.

And since I've never been to Seoul before (okay, I have been to Seoul once but that doesn't really count since I was a little toddler and can't remember), I decided to take the earlier flight and stay there for a few days alone before meeting Yujin. You know, sight-seeing and so on... but then again, I could probably call Yujin and she'd show me... Yeah, I should do that.

I pulled my phone out of my jacket pocket and proceeded to type in my message to her.

To: Yujinnie ♡

Yo yo^^ Are you free rn?

Time: 3:14PM [July 26, 2018]

 

From: Yujinnie ♡

Yeah why? Need a beta-reader again? :P

Time: 3:20PM [July 26, 2018]

 

To: Yujinnie ♡

Yep, how'd ya know omg

jk how about you fetch me from icn airport

Time: 3:23PM [July 26, 2018]

 

From: Yujinnie ♡

stop lol your jokes are lame af

Time: 3:25PM [July 26, 2018]

 

To: Yujinnie ♡

You dont believe me? what kind of bestie are you

do you need proof or what

Time: 3:26PM [July 26, 2018]

 

From: Yujinnie ♡

you trolled me so many times i dont trust you anymore

wheres ur proof

Time: 3:30PM [July 26, 2018]

 

To: Yujinnie ♡

Meh, 'kay. Pft

Time: 3:31PM [July 26, 2018]

 

To: Yujinnie ♡

You sent a photo.

Time: 3:31PM [July 26, 2018]

 

From: Yujinnie ♡

WAIT

Time: 3:32PM [July 26, 2018]

 

From: Yujinnie ♡

WHAT YOURE REALLY OMG OMFGA HLFJKADHFJKLSDAHFJKLSDHGA

Time: 3:35PM [July 26, 2018]

 

To: Yujinnie ♡

woah dude chill

will you fetch me now or let me wait in the cold here :P

Time: 3:37PM [July 26, 2018]

 

From: Yujinnie ♡

It's summer tho.

Time: 3:40PM [July 26, 2018]

 

To: Yujinnie ♡

OKAY BYE

Time: 3:41PM [July 26, 2018]

 

From: Yujinnie ♡

ill be there asap

wait for meeeeh my bestieeeeee ily ^^♡

Time: 3:43PM [July 26, 2018]

 

To: Yujinnie ♡

cheesy bye

Time: 3:44PM [July 26, 2018]

 

I remember when we were both still awkward. And now it's like this, sigh. What happened to us? Okay, I'm just kidding. I love the non-awkwardness (even though we weren't that awkward to begin with!).

Wow. I just noticed (again) it was our first meeting. How awkward would it be?

I just stood there, waiting for her to arrive.

From: Yujinnie ♡

im here now. where are you?

Time: 4:01PM [July 26, 2018]

 

To: Yujinnie ♡

entrance hall, near the door, blueish blouse, dark red suitcase

Time: 4:01PM [July 26, 2018]

 

From: Yujinnie ♡

found ya

Time: 4:04PM [July 26, 2018]

 

To: Yujinnie ♡

great. let the awkwardness begin

Time: 4:05PM [July 26, 2018]

 

From: Yujinnie ♡

c'mon it's not gonna be awkward

Time: 4:05PM [July 26, 2018]

 

To: Yujinnie ♡

hi.

Time: 4:07PM [July 26, 2018]


Even if we talked so much with each other, it was awkward. For me at least (that's why I greeted her through text message).

 

"Loosen up, girl, we talked so many times, even called, okay?" she told me in fluent Korean. I nodded. Damn, her voice was so cute (as usual to be honest). "Your voice is cute," I blurted. Oops, she's gonna kill me now, I'm sure. I'm a dead girl. Dead, dead, dead.

 

AND I HAVE NOWHERE TO RUN. Her face darkened... but went back to normal really quick. What.

"Just kidding. Your voice is cute too," she said and jokingly slapped my arm. "Yah, yah, yah. IT'S NOT."

"Wow, your Korean improved a lot, Chae." Yujin grinned. "So, since it's our first time meeting... how about we introduce ourselves again?" I rolled my eyes at that, jokingly of course.

"If you think that's a good idea, fine. My name is Won Chaeyoung, I like Korean pop a lot and I'm South Korean by ethnicity but American by nationality. What's your name?" I had to control myself a lot or else I would have started laughing so much.

She grinned again. She then introduced herself to me again, "The name's Kyun Yujin. I also like Korean pop - what a coincidence, wow. South Korean through and through and surprise, surprise: I happen to be your best friend." And we both bursted into laughter.

"Dude, that was so lame," I said in English. "I know but at least I made you laugh," she replied, also in English, while trying to stop laughing. As we came down from our laughing fit, she took my hand into hers and dragged me outside. "I'm going to switch to Korean again so that you'll learn," she warned me in English before we arrived in front of a car. Yujin opened the door and I could see a man, probably her father or so, sitting in there.

"Dad, that's my friend Chaeyoung, from the US. Chaeyoung, that's my dad," she introduced us. I was nervous, it was her dad after all. What if he didn't like me? My heart was beating so hard. "Good afternoon.... ahjussi?" My voice was kind of shaky and my palms sweaty, I could feel it. Yujin's father just smiled at me and said, "Nice to meet you, Chaeyoung-ah. Don't call me ahjussi please, I feel so old. Just call me abeoji, that's alright," he turned to his daughter (and me...something in-between), "get in the car, your mother is waiting already. She cooked for you."

We arrived at her place pretty fast. Her mother was such a sweetheart in all honesty. She was so tiny and cute. When I entered the apartment, I took my shoes off and got kind of startled (em-bar-rass-ing) because her mom suddenly stood there and welcomed me with a hug (her brother was in the background too but I didn't really notice him). "Aaaah, finally you're here, Chaeyoung-ah. Yujin's been talking a lot about you~ Nice to meet you! Have you eaten already?"

"Urm..." I started but didn't know how to go on. "Ohhh, just call me eomoni, my dear," she told me and smiled. "Come on in, love."

The hours passed (and so did the awkwardness with her family and her, I felt very comfortable there) and we joked a lot with each other. I felt as if they're my own family. Somehow Yujin didn't even question where I'll stay, which was weird. Did she assume I would stay at hers? I felt kind of weird. Why? Because I really thought she would make me stay at hers.

Which she did. It was dark already and I told them that I had to leave. But Yujin then - of course - had to drop the bomb, "Chae, actually... you're going to stay here. I already settled that with your parents, mehrong~" She stuck her tongue out.

I was flabbergasted. What? How? "How did yo-" I started but she cut me off,"I have my secrets hehe." Her mom giggled while her dad and her brother just grinned like fools.

That's how I ended up staying at Yujin's place (even in her room...since they hadn't have any guest rooms). It felt as if I already knew her (personally) since years. When Yujin and me were in 'our' room we talked a lot. She asked me things like how living in America was and so on. And in return she helped my with some words in Korean that I had trouble with pronouncing.

The next morning her father decided that they'd be my guides for the day(s). Heck, I couldn't even tell if they were actually my 'guides' or slave drivers. They dragged me to so many places, made me eat so much food, bought me various things. It was very exhausting but nonetheless it was fun.

We went to the famous Namsan Tower, the COEX Mall, went shopping in Myeongdong (and ate the famous ice cream cone there!), her father dragged me to the Changdeokgung Palace while her mother decided that I should accompany her tothe Dangdaemun Market and the Gwangjang Market; just to name a few places.

So it happened that my best friend's birthday was there and I - of course - prepared something for her. Just something small.

I placed the MP3 player on her bed with a sticky note 'Play me!', placed a camera where she wouldn't notice it and then hid in her closet.

"Chae? Where are you? Chae!" she called. "YAH! WON CHAEYOUNG, ANSWER ME!" she shouted even louder. I had to surpress a giggle. I knew she was going to come to her room next.

And she did. I heard the door open and footsteps. "Chae, are you he-" she must have discovered the MP3 player. "Play me..." she read out loud. I waited one or two minutes, making sure she was listening. It was a recording of me singing one of her favorite songs: Good Friends by Super Junior.

 

I was so tense the first day. I wasn’t able to say anything.
At that time I never thought we would have so many days together.
Before we knew it.

We were rookies. We even showed off.
At that time I never thought we would get to know one another in this way.
Before we knew it.

Plenty was shared between us Oh~Oh~ the sweat, the tears, the secrets.
I am even able to love the times we hated each other. Before we knew it.
We can’t be separated. I’m going to miss you, I’m going to yearn for you. I love my friends.
I will never forget, give me a hug, don’t ever forget me, don’t change.

My face would turn red. I was about to give up everything.
However, we didn’t ever let go of each others hands.
I was so thankful then.
Before we knew it..
Before we knew it.

Plenty was shared between us Oh~Oh~ the sweat, the tears, the secrets.
I am even able to love the times we hated each other. Before we knew it.
We can’t be separated. I’m going to miss you, I’m going to yearn for you. I love my friends.
I will never forget, give me a hug, don’t ever forget me, don’t change.

There will come a day when we will have to separate. Oh~Oh~
We might not be able to see one another.
When that happens, our memories will give us strength until the day we are able to meet again.
Nananananananana~ Before we knew it.

We can’t be separated. I’m going to miss you, I’m going to yearn for you. I love my friends.
I will never forget, give me a hug, don’t ever forget me. I love you.

I hoped she wouldn't face her closet while listening to it. And I was lucky because she really did, so I sneaked out and went into the kitchen.

"Eomoni, where's the cake we made yesterday?" I whispered. Eomoni brought me the cake and asked me if she should go and gather everyone, I nodded. We quietly went to her room, me holding her cake, her brother, mother and father each a present for her.

3. 2. 1. And we all bursted into her room.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR YUJIN, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU," we sang and I brought her the cake. She was genuinely surprised at first but still blew out the candles.

"Oh my gosh.. I-I...really don't know what to say right now. I'm..." she obviously was speechless. "I'm so touched right now. Guys, this wasn't necessary. Really. A simple happy birthday would be enough." I let out a long sigh, "You should know me by now. A simple happy birthday won't do. Happy Birthday though, my best friend." I hugged her.

Her family handed her the presents and she unwrapped them. She got a pretty necklace from her brother and a lot of merchandise from her parents (parents goals!).

Afterwards I asked her if she liked my cover of Good Friends. "It was really good to be honest. How did you know it's my favorite song?" Really? Did she really ask that just now?

I faked a cough, "Ahem, I quote, 'surprise, surprise: I happen to be your best friend.'"

And we both bursted into laughter again.

 

Even though I was only on vacation there, I knew that this certainly wasn't the last birthday that we would celebrate together. There were surely more to come.


[a/n 20150801] Ayeee once again, I'm back with another one-shot for my bestie (and heol, that was really kind of unplanned xD)^^ and I'm cruel enough to leave you with a sort-of-cliffhanger hehe. Sorry if it's kind of rushed;;

Happy birthday once again, Ever (YOU GRANNY). AI LURRRVEEEE JUUUUUUUUUU. That's all I got to say here because I'll probably say something to you on whatsapp before you read this but ok LET ME LIVE

Actually I only aimed for 2,000 words but you know, once i write i cant really stop ._. SO YEAH, I HIT 3,000 WORDS WHAT DID YOU EXPECT HUEHUE.

Anyways, hoped you liked it (*ahem* last year *cough*) hehe

 

ily <3