Long Dead

The Dauntless Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The files and documents littered the entire table as Kyuhyun worked on his computer. After reading tons of documents and research on TriSatan and Sungmin, Kyuhyun was leaning towards the theory that Sungmin entered the gang purely for revenge.

Firstly, the Revenge faction had only been growing stronger after Sungmin started helping Asphalt out. If Sungmin were an undercover agent, he would have leaked information here and there to try to wipe them out. Although there was a possibility that Sungmin was just waiting for the right chance, it was less probable considering that there should be quite a few chances during the four years Sungmin worked as a Lazvol. Besides, Sungmin was listed in the involvement of many major crimes that their faction has managed to pull off.

Secondly, Kyuhyun suspected that Yunho’s murderer was from the Revenge faction. Although the police had never caught the guy and they couldn’t find any records of him in the database with Sungmin and the lady hostage’s description, the other two gang members admitted they were from the Revenge faction. If this is true, Sungmin must have been waiting to meet the murderer again, since it was speculated that the guy escaped overseas.

If his speculations were right, Kyuhyun needed to get Sungmin out of that place before anything happened to him. It was not worthwhile for Sungmin to put himself in so much danger just to get revenge, although Kyuhyun could understand Sungmin’s intention. It was fruitless to wait for the police to do anything about it, especially if the guy had escaped overseas. They had no name of him, only a shady sketch from the word descriptions.

Drinking another mouth of coffee, Kyuhyun willed himself to concentrate on the soft document before him. It was an accounting journal for the chain of pubs operated by the Revenge faction, which Donghee had somehow hacked and gotten his hands on. Although it was a legal business, Siwon had asked him to browse through it in case there was any clue on fraud or other crimes.

 

Kyuhyun worked through the long document on his computer, stifling a yawn.

Cleaning supplies… Wine… Beer… Sofas?

 

Kyuhyun scrolled back to the top of the document, hoping to find the information that he wanted, but to no avail. Turning his head to see if Jungsu was at his desk, Kyuhyun pushed his chair towards the vice team leader.

“Jungsu hyung, can I ask a question?”

“Hmm?” Jungsu hummed in response as he flipped the pages on the file.

“The pubs under the TriSatan Revenge faction. Do you know how many branches there are?”

“Let me see…” Jungsu searched through his stack of files and pulled out one. “The one called R-Spot?”

“Yes, R-Spot.” Kyuhyun watched as Jungsu flipped through the file. He wondered how the man was able to handle so much data and information.

“Here. Sixteen branches.” Jungsu pointed to the list of addresses of the branches. “Why?”

“Sixteen only? They have a shipment of cargos coming in for close to two hundred sofas.” Kyuhyun rolled his chair back to his desk, pointing to the computer screen to show Jungsu.

“Major makeover? Each branch has quite a few KTV lounges and private rooms too.” Jungsu mused.

“But is it possible for them to change all their sofas at one go?”

“You do have a point… Siwon!” Jungsu called out to Siwon who was on the other side of the office talking to Youngwoon.

 

“Yes, hyung?” Siwon jogged over with Youngwoon trailing behind.

“Kyuhyun thinks there is something suspicious with an upcoming shipment for R-Spot.” Jungsu tilted his head towards Kyuhyun’s desk.

“You mean the chain of pubs under Revenge faction?” Youngwoon asked as he took his place beside the desk.

“Yeah, they have an import shipment of close to two hundred sofas in two weeks’ time.” Kyuhyun pointed to the record on the screen. “Even if there are sixteen branches, I doubt they would change all their sofas at one go?”

Siwon paused to think.

“I agree with Kyuhyun. It is a bit suspicious.” Youngwoon said.

“Alright, follow up and investigate then. Help Kyuhyun, Youngwoon hyung. I will try to ask around for more information before we launch a full-fledged investigation. We have two weeks anyway.” Siwon instructed and everyone got down to work.

 

 

 

~---~

 

 

 

Sungmin rubbed the nape of his neck as he pulled himself up in bed, his head still heavy from the sleep. It was already bright despite his drawn curtains. He grabbed his phone from the bedside table to check the time.

It was already 1pm, which meant he had slept more than thirteen hours last night. He wondered if Y had given him sleeping pills instead of cold medicine. Usually, he would be out for work at this time, but Asphalt had given them some rest days after the successful tobacco deal.

Recalling the talk with Siwon yesterday, he pulled his drawer open to search for the spare phone. He had promised Siwon to check for messages as often as he could. Not expecting anything, Sungmin was slightly surprised when a message came in.

 

“R-Spot shipment of 200 sofas in two weeks. Any idea?   -W ”

 

Shipment of sofas? Sungmin was sure he didn’t hear anything about replacement of sofas in their pubs. He suddenly remembered the quarrel between Asphalt and Joker he had overheard about a big shipment. Noting it down mentally to find out for Siwon, Sungmin typed a reply.


“No, I will check.   -D ”

 

Not bothering to clear the messages, Sungmin turned off the phone and threw it back into the drawer. The phone was set to an automatic factory reset whenever he turned it off anyway.

 

After washing up and changing in his own private washroom, Sungmin wandered out of his bedroom, hoping to grab something to fill his empty stomach. Now that he felt better from the long sleep, his stomach was haunting him.

He smiled when he saw the two ladies, Jess and Rin, snuggled up on the sofa in the common area, talking to each other. Caught up in their conversation, they didn’t notice Sungmin coming their way.

 

“Morning, ladies.”

Rin jumped a little at the sudden voice, but a smile spread across her face as she saw Sungmin dropping himself on the a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter