Search

The Dauntless Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sungmin had spent the week resting at home, letting Hunter and Y run everything in his place. Aside from the daily operations, Asphalt had withdrawn all special deals allocated to them, wanting Sungmin to heal properly before he began work again.

 

Sungmin received the change from the taxi driver, thanking him as he climbed out of the car carefully. He had just removed the stitches at the hospital yesterday under Ryeowook’s company. Fortunately, his leg was healing well and he could now manage moving around without a wheelchair.

Complaining that he had been cooped up at home for way too long, he insisted on getting out of the house for his usual walks alone. His underlings tried to change his mind at first, then offering to accompany him. In the end, he did manage to get his way with a promise that he would minimize the walking and sit at the park instead. Being the superior has its advantages.

 

Usually, Sungmin would pick a random park to go to, enjoying the peaceful time as he strolled through nature. It was a form of relaxation for him, while at the same time, it was an opportunity for him to think through things by his own. Additionally, it was a cover for times like these when he needed to meet Siwon alone.

Sungmin turned the corner, walking past the stores to the familiar stairway. The area was crowded, but that was one of the reasons they chose the place. People come and go everyday, minding only their own business. With the low frequencies of their meetings, there was no one to spot them meeting or remember them visiting the area.

Looking up the long flight of stairs, Sungmin sighed to himself. Maybe they should have picked a place with a lift. Gripping onto the handrail tightly, he began his tiring journey up the stairs. He was already late by ten minutes, due to the long negotiation with his underlings, but he knew Siwon would wait for him to show up. After all, Siwon was the one who requested the meeting.

Silently pouting to himself, Sungmin heaved himself up step by step. He couldn’t comprehend how he had managed the trip to Arch-A that day to get Kibum, but he reckoned the strength came due to the pairs of eyes watching him. He needed to hide the pain and discomfort in front of others then, but here, he was alone without the numerous pairs of judging eyes.

Placing his good leg on the next step, Sungmin hissed when he lifted the injured leg and unstably dropped it on the step, causing a tingling pain to run through. He felt his knees buckle, but a pair of arms caught him. He immediately pulled his head up, momentarily fearing that the wrong person had caught him.

 

“Are you okay, Sungmin hyung?” Siwon scanned him from top to toe worriedly.

Sungmin relaxed under Siwon’s arms for a second, then realizing that being seen together would spell trouble.

“I’m okay. What are you doing here? We can’t be seen together.” Sungmin whispered under his breath. “Go, I’ll be up in a few seconds.”

 

“Yah yah! What are you doing?” Sungmin exclaimed as Siwon slid his arm under his thighs, lifting him up at one go. “Let me down!” Sungmin complained, although he wrapped his arm around Siwon to prevent himself from falling.

“Shhh, hyung, we don’t want to attract attention now, do you?” Siwon gave a teasing smile.

“Aren’t you already attracting attention by doing this?!” Sungmin retorted as Siwon climbed up the staircase.

"Well, you were the first one to attract attention when you climbed that staircase so agonizingly. Besides, I only took your advice that we can’t be seen together by getting us out of the stairway in the quickest way.” Siwon said, walking towards the last door on the floor.

“Wow, what a clever plan, Officer.” Sungmin rolled his eyes, eliciting a chuckle from Siwon.

“Keys? Open the door, hyung. My hands are full, way too full.” Siwon jokingly winked.

“What are you trying to imply?” Sungmin narrowed his eyes at Siwon as he dug his front pocket for the apartment key.

“Nothing~” Siwon sang as Sungmin turned the key, unlocking the door. Stepping in, Siwon kicked the door close, nodding his head towards the lock. Sungmin grudgingly obeyed, locking the door.

 

Setting Sungmin down on the sofa, Siwon massaged his arms, stretching them upwards.

“Yah, don’t be so exaggerating. I’m not fat.” Sungmin swung his arm towards Siwon.

Siwon dodged the attack, laughing away. “Never said you were. I just slept in a bad position last night.”

“Count yourself lucky for having a witty mind.” Sungmin scrunched up his nose at Siwon.

 

“So…” Siwon’s voice faded as he strode towards the fridge, grabbing two cans of coke. “What happened to you?”

The c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter