New Beginnings

Excuse me,will you be his mother?

It was a peaceful morning.

I would have loved to say that but as it is,my luck doesn't run that much.Cause it was one of the worst mornings ever.

Firstly,I woke up to loud angry squealing and bawling.Courtesy the fight between Minhee and Min on either of my side,crawling over me to get at each other.I still didn't get why were they always fighting whenever they met.May be it was a sort of sibling thing.Though I had no idea about Jung and his relation with Min.

Then came the disaster called lunch.Only thing,it was a catastrophe.It all started with me taking out the high chair.It actually was mine when I was a baby,but now Minhee used it.I was preparing mashed food for the both the kids while Jung was setting up the chair under my instuctions.Making me wonder how did he manage to feed Min.Meanwhile Minhee was playing in the playpen in a corner of living room,right in my sight.I saw the chair all ready and asked Jung to put Min in it.

I was throwing the potato skins away when a horrible noise distracted me.

Minhee had seen Min sitting in the highchair and had gone into one of her diva rages.She was trying to climb out of the playpen,her chubby baby legs trying to climb unsuccessfully the tall bars.She was throwing her toys,literally screeching in anger.

'Hey baby,calm down.What happened,Hee?',I asked picking her up before she got hurt.She let out a furious stream of babble.I cooed to her for the next ten minutes while the lunch got cold.
After calming her down considerably,we fed the babies in separate rooms where they wouldn't see each other.

But the real disaster happened,when I was fixing Jung's and my lunch.Jung had dismantled the playpen and re-erected it in kitchen where I could keep an eye on them.It had gone on well for first few minutes,with both of them ignoring each other.But then Minhee had crawled towards Min who was sitting up,drinking water and pushed the sipper from his grip.The boy ignored her still,calmly taking the sipper and drinking again.But my sister was as stubborn as a mule.She once again went and pushed the bottle.And yet again,he ignored her.

But the third time,he had had enough.The next time she crawled,he himself threw the sipper away and pushed my sister with both hands.Unhurt but indignantly tumbled down,my sister rushed and tackled him.The lunch was forgotten as we spent the rest of the afternoon calming the kids.With me in middle of the hullabaloo as both the babies weren't inclined to leave me.As final straw,we had to separate the two,the entire afternoon gone in calming them down.I felt I would go deaf,at the wailing.

We were now at the supermarket,shopping for dinner.The two babies behaved as if the other didn't exist.Well,atleast they weren't fighting.

'But you said you lived in Gwangju before.What happened?',I asked as I picked up a couple of lemons and checked them for firmness. Seeing them in best condition,I put them into the cart, looking at Yunho.He didn't reply for a few moments,struggling for words.I let him go at his own pace,not wanting to force him.Now that he had started opening about himself.From all the combined talk of a week which was a total of 1 hour,I came to know he was from Gwangju and now was living here in a tiny apartment by himself.Atleast that explains the accent. Meanwhile, Minhee had seen strawberries and was squealing non-stop,trying to jump from the carrier.

'Here,hold him,I will take her',Jung said suddenly,handing me the sleeping boy and taking Minhee before she really jumped out.In her excitement,she didn't even notice her rival sleeping against my chest as I strapped on the carrier.I saw both of them by the fruits corner,selecting strawberries and I chuckled to see Jung's eyes shining with glee as he chose a few boxes.I stood staring at the new expression on his face.It was the first time I had seen him excited.And it was so cute.

I shook my head,a smile on my face,as I pushed the trolley,grabbing milk,eggs and bread. Checking the list in my hand,I glanced at the cart to see I had all the things I needed. I stood in the queue at the cashier,glancing to see if Jung and Minhee had finished.They appeared when most of my groceries were ringed,putting two boxes of strawberries.

                                                                                                                   -x-x-x-
We sat on the bench,Minhee and Min playing in front of us on a blanket.Both were still ignoring each other,one crawling around and the other on a teething-ring.For once,they weren't at each other's throats over me.We also were silent,looking over the two.

'I never knew my parents',a quiet voice came from beside me. I looked at Jung.He was staring straight ahead. I didn't dare interrupt.

'I have a grandmother back in Gwangju.Took me in.I left Gwangju to not become a burden to her.But as you see,I ended up being a street fighter.I can't go back to Gwangju now',he said. I caught a hint of despereation in his voice.He looked at me and I was taken aback at the look of regret and pain in his eyes.He was not the Jung I knew.Not the stoic,poker-faced boy who always pestered me to be the kid's mother.And for once I was at loss for words.

'I found Min when I was returning from a petty fight.The boys at the alley can get pretty rowdy over the passages.There are daily fights on who owns which alley.Like animals marking territories',he said,a grim chuckle escaping him.I kept on listening.

'I don't know who left him like that.He was barely wrapped in warm clothes.He seemed to be a newborn.And he was so small,I could have missed him easily.He was wrapped in a newspaper.Seems unreal,right?I first thought it was a rat or something.The shuffling sounds.If he hadn't cried,God knows what would have happened.And the place he was left at,no one would have even notice until it was cleaned out by officials',he said,eyes blank.I was horrified,to say the least.I looked at the baby boy who was now crawling before me,trying to pull patches of grass from the ground.

'I tried to take him to police station.But I had no idea of who he was or who he left him.I could have left him at an orphanage,but I don't know.I ended up taking him home with me.I am bringing up a child illegally,in a way.He doesn't even have a birth certificate.I could get arrested if ever found.I still get fears that one day someone will show up,looking for him', Jung said,with a dry laugh.I looked at Jung and found,for first time,the storm of emotions in the almond eyes.And it left me tongue-tied.

The silence resumed.But it was heavy.Filled with unanswerable questions and unspoken emotions. I laid a hand gently on his arm,not knowing why.He looked at me for a second,and at my hand before looking into distance right.

'I can't leave him now.And if ever the time comes,if someone comes for him,I will definitely fight for him',Jung said,a hint of possessiveness.

'I don't know whether you believe me or not.I apologise for causing inconvinience to you.I don't know how to talk to others.And well,for punching you',he said,a slight flush on his face.I groaned at the memory.

'You almost broke my nose',I said,glaring at him.He looked sheepish.

'I though you were some kidnapper',he said,rubbing his neck as I rolled my eyes.

I am sorry',he said,eyes like a puppy dog.Aww,who knew Jung could be such a softy.I gestured that it was ok.

It was getting dark.Going towards the children,I started packing the blanket and the toys.Jung came over to help.As I was about to strap on Minhee,she squealed indignantly, trying to crawl away.

'Yah!Come here',I said.But she ignored me and crawled towards Jung,trying to climb up his legs.He picked her up and twirled her as I watched open-mouthed.I made to take her,but she just turned her head,hugging Jung.

'I will take her.And besides,Min behaves with you',Jung said,giving one of his eye smiles.The boy was only too eager to come to me.Minhee looked for a second as if she wanted to come to me,but after a glare at the boy in my arms,she yawned and cuddled to Jung.Shaking my head at my bipolar sister,I picked up the groceries.

We were silent till we reached my house.I opened the door,taking Minhee and turning to see if Jung wanted to come in.

'No,I will return.I have given you so much trouble already,Kim.The last-?'

'Jaejoong',I said,interrupting him.He tilted his head.

'Call me Jaejoong',I said,grinning.A pause and a smirk spread on Jung's face.

'Yunho here',he said.I grinned as I extended my hand.His touched mine and a jolt of electricity passing through our skins stunned me for a moment.We stood still for a moment, hands still held as we looked at each other.

Someone stop the crazy butterflies in my stomach.

'See you at school,Jaejoong',he said.

'Be careful,Yunho.Call me when you reach home',I called out after him.He just raised his hand in answer.I watched till he had disappeared down the road.And sighed.

And for some reasons I had a stupid grin on my face for the rest of the night,a particular pair of almond eyes haunting my dreams.

 

                                                                                                                           -x-x-x-

Please tell me your views on this fic...

Kamsahamnida..^^